Winter Wrap Up: Plant Team

SteelEagle

"I'm back, Miss. Looks like ya jist have a sprain, no broken bones that I kin see. I'd give ya somethin' fer the pain, if'n I had anythin' ta give ya. Fer now, yur jist gonna have ta live with it. If'n yur well enough, once all this commotion ends, could ya help us makin' sandwiches fer the hungry crew?"

It was bittersweet hearing the results that "Doctor" Smith gave Carrot Top. She was elated that her hoof wasn't broken, thus making recover faster, but on the other hoof there was nothing that the elderly pony had to take away the pain. So Carrot knew that her time helping out planting seeds, something she looked forward to as much as harvest time in Ponyville, was over. Looking outside at the sudden snow storm, Carrot wondered if there would be any more planting or future harvesting as the storm threatened to put an end to the growing season before it started!

"Thanks for helping me Granny Smith. Do you have something like a cloth you can wrap around my hoof like a bandage? That way I can move around hopefully with less pain. Oh, and I'll definitely help make sandwiches with you."

She was glad to see Filthry Rich awake, albeit needing his rest. Still she watched the outside, hoping that the storm would pass and would somehow melt away fast.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

redcedar90px.png Red Cedar

Red gave Java a quick look over himself, although not quite for the same reason as Peachy. "Come on," he said, "We need to get you inside, dried off and warmed up before you freeze out here." Looking over his shoulder to where Psmith had the door to the farmhouse open at last, he gave the other two a nudge in that direction before trotting over himself.

Java's head slowly dipped down, to the ground as things began to grow a bit more fuzzy. He gave it a light shake and raised it back up with his eyes squinted looking on to the farm house that was just a few steps ahead. He wasn't quite to sure why two ponies were looking at him anymore. The most he could actually deduce was that one had been staring at his flank for the last few seconds, which would normally cause a huge array of reactions under normal circumstance. Probably starting with a very red faced pony suddenly hopping over the nearest fence and running home. And the other from the perspective of a pony that requires the use of corrective lenses was probably just looking at him crossways.

But he did hear something about a play. A play called the Thawing of the Frost Ponies. And quite curiously, the pony swore he had heard of such a play. Maybe it was just a product of his temporary frost induced insanity. In fact, he even began to recite the fictitious lines of a frost pony from the play in iambic pentameter.

“Tis day forward the hearth warmed beat

when vitals clocked that speaks your basic need

Herald that I need not your simplest feed

Icend hooves of stone, need only thy heat”

His tone wasn't very energetic, and clearly sounded like the pony was off in lala land. He was nearly about to continue, till he heard another voice. What? Inside! What is this madness... they were at a play... were they? Was it the opening night? But it was two times had he heard of this desperate need to go inside. Maybe they weren't at a play or on stage, Java thought. Maybe this is real snow, in the outdoors. He couldn't quite remember why he had came out here again. What ever the reason was, it had something to do with... the cold he was feeling.

“Inside....” Java responded after his thoughts ran albit unsuccessfully. He remained quiet for a moment, and then responded with a look up, and a slow trot. Though, after feeling himself stall, he had only remembered that he was still strapped up to a cart. He started at the latches that fastened the harness to the cart, and when he couldn't get those open, he'd just remove the harness.

He took a few steps towards the door, till he stopped once more. He spun around on his hooves and returned to his cart. His head dove underneath the tarp for only a moment, and reappered with a crate holding a few large metal thermoses. After satisfying himself with his retrival, he'd finally entered the house only to collapse after a few feet of clearance from the door with a hard thud. The crate landed next to him with it's contents clanking against each other.

“Pins... and needles....” Java groan after the noticable difference of temperature compared to the great outdoors had overcame him. "I love you guys..."

PeachyBanner_zps681adafc.png

When they approached the house, Peachy watched Java with a worried look on his face. The stallion didn't seem to be doing so well, murmuring strange sentences and seeming almost detached from reality. There was a knot in Peachy's stomach that grew every time his friend displayed unusual behavior. Java needed to get warm immediately.

Peachy came to a stop behind Java when the cart hindered his efforts of going through the door. Once Java unhatched himself from the wagon and made it inside, Peachy entered the house behind him, giving a violent shiver as the warmth made him realize just how freezing it was outside.

He galloped towards the new voices nearby, entering another room. What he saw made him breath a sigh of relief. It was an elderly green pony, a brown middle aged stallion, and the injured mare from earlier. He trotted over and gazed around the room with the edge of worry clear on his face.

"Greetings. I and several others had just arrived here from the blizzard. Do you happen to have a supply of blankets anywhere? Somepony just fell through the ice outside and needs to get warm right away."

Flora had been watching the two stallions help the one that had fallen into the ice with concern very obvious on her face. If they didn't get inside soon, that stallion probably wasn't going to make it. At least not intact. She turned towards the purple unicorn when he said they should break in. Flora frowned at that, but there was really no choice. They had to get that stallion that had fallen in the ice warmed up before he froze to death.

She still didn't like this though, breaking into Applejack's house like this. Flora was caught off guard by a sudden gust of wind as the door opened, which carried her and the purple unicorn inside. He immidiately got back on his hooves, but Flora wasn't so lucky. She must've hit something on the way in, her head had a splitting pain. She groaned softly against the pain, but couldn't get up. Her eyes were screwed shut, but she could hear the nice stallion talking from a direction she assumed was further in the house.

"Owowowowow..." Flora said softly as she lightly held her head in her hooves.

TczjcS9.png

"Alrighty Miss, I kin do that fer ya!" Granny Smith neighed as she found more bandages in her black bag and quickly wrapped her injured hoof up as best she could. "Thar ya go! That'll do fer now. Well, now that mah house is nice and secure from that thar weird storm a-brewin' outside, we kin git back ta makin' sandwiches. Nevermind all the stuff that landed on the floor, it's all dirty and Granny Smith don't go round servin' dirty food! Got plenty more sandwich fixin's over yonder, so you and me kin start makin' more sandwiches!"

As she walked back towards the table, Granny removed her doctor's headband and put her tinted visor back on.

"Good idear, Filthy! Ya best rest a spell. Ya got a real hard knock on yur noggin so yur gonna need time ta recover. C'mon now, Miss, ain't no time ta waste!"

Within minutes, Granny was once more 'dealing' out sandwiches on the table with great speed and skill. Luckily, there were already many sandwiches that had been wrapped and were ready to eat. But the elderly mare realized they were going to need many more to satisfy the hungry crew outside, assuming the storm hadn't frightened them all off.

And for the lone pony who was lying on the ground, covered in frost and frozen precipitant, the world had began to spin around him! Not the bad spinning, but the good spinning. The spinning that symbolizes the dizzyness of a pony regaining consciousness, and slowly becoming self aware! Why by the power of fatigue and the warmth in the house alone, even without the said blankets of warmth, JavaSun had begun to yawn.

Why he was so relaxed now, that he even dropped his head to the ground and closed his eyes for a little cat nap. Not a single care was given that he was on the floor, or even that the floor may have been dirty. Off he went to dreamland. His body now shivering once more, but in the good sign that his body was now attempting a grasp at a speedy recovery! Yes, because with the wind chill, snow, and freezing water all gone, it made way for a much nicer atmosphere. An atmosphere in the home of the world's nicest granny. A granny who did not seem to care if a group of ponies, rogue or not, had broken their way into her homestead.

“Wake... me up, before you go...” Java muttered in his sleep. Perhaps the only sane thing the pony had actually said to the group this day.

Idle words can have more effects than the speaker ever imagined. Psmith's offhand comment about mummer's plays, for instance, evoked poetry from a cold-crazed Stallion just fished up from the freezing pond. Ever the irrepressible spirit, the unicorn replied in kind:

"Thou shall have heat, and food besides!

Take shelter from the icy tides,

Forgive their manner, sweet hostess,

Have pity on their dire distress!"

The cosy atmosphere of the house, though broken into, was hardly destroyed. Winter could have it's last hurrah; it could not kill the will of ponies to be hospitable. Psmith sidled up to the sandwich-dealing Granny, asking with smooth, precipitous tones, "Do you require assistance in augmenting your supply? Harsh winds whet the appetite, as steel whets iron."

2ccsaxy.jpg

With Granny Smith's blessing, Filthy Rich found himself a more appropriate place to lay down in the impromptu first aid room, in a spot not very far from Carrot Top. With not much else to do while his headache raged, the stallion opted to close his eyes to get some bonus shut-in. Perhaps it'd soothe him enough so that Filthy could be of use to his fellow townsponies again. But for now, it was time to recover his strength after that accident with the apple.....

Red looks over his shoulder, muttering to himself as he sees Java keel over. Seeing him unable to move any further under his own power, Red trotted back to Java, moving him closer to the heat, and attempted to find a blanket or something to keep him a little warmer until he could produce heat on his own again. The last thing we needed on top of everything was a pony with hypothermia.

The sounds of poetry was enough to pierce through Java's cold slumber. The words echoed in his head like a chorus sung by Celestia and Luna themselves. And in the dreams that Java was having, he was standing at a stage. But instead of his usual vestment, he wore a cube of ice, and he was heralding out to a fire that seemed to be beckoning him closer and most warmly.

He murmured his next lines in his sleep, but more energy was behind it as he continued the duet poetry.

"Nay, for thy feed is yours nay mine to dine!

Now I lay shalt be sald en stone in time,

Wherefore igna of hearths stone breast,

Rolls back the tock of vultures dead crest.”

But then suddenly something in Java's dream went ary. Ponies where flying through the air, and Java himself noticed he was off balanced. The strong pull of gravity was threatening to crush him against the ground, till his eyes shot open.

"Whuasat," Java cried out in a start after raising his head up into the air with a start. His eyes looking around suspiciously for a few seconds to take in everything that was around him. First he felt like he was being moved, then he was in some other pony's house? He tried to remember the past events with his head quickly snapping around every which way. He still felt cold. But this was a bajillion times more pleasant than what he last remembered. A small recollection of himself falling through ice did emerge, and him being pulled out by a group of ponies.

His eyes soon returned to Red Cedar in a squint. He kept the hard squint on the pony. Till a hoof slid into his jacket to pull out a pair of small rectangular glasses. He opened them up, and slipped them over his muzzle, and looked up to Red Cedar once more. This time the squinting was gone, but it didn't change the fact that he didn't quite know this pony's name. "You....." The pony began in thought. "You.... you are... you...? I... don't believe we've met. But I believe I have to thank you for earlier." Java then slowly rose up to his feet. He ignored the fact that he was still shivering when he glanced over to Psmith. "And... you,...another pony I haven't met... but it's wonderful to meet you both," his tone was becoming more upbeat as his old self was returning from it's frosted prison. Th

But he did see a familiar face, and this one he most definitely knew! "And you too, Peachy~" He turned back to the group as a whole. "Seriously, thanks for saving my hide out there! Oh, and for the ponies I... believe I just met, I am Javasun. Just call me Java."

Red breathed a little sigh of relief seeing Java come around to being in the warmth of the house now. At least something had gone right today. "You're welcome," he said, "And my name's Red Cedar. Pleased to meet you, too. Better stay where it's warm until you can stop shivering."

Archived