Reformation.

VGAddict

It's not really a constant thing. Sombra didn't get reformed, just thoroughly defeated. Chrysalis was pretty unrepentant as well, and you can bet Tirek is in an even more foul mood now that he's back in the cell they threw him in in the first place.

And then there's Discord... whose reformation is at times pretty open to debate.

I think they're fairly even about reforming or not reforming villains. Depends very much on the character.

Sombra got blown up. Chrysalis blasted away Team rocket style and Tirek is back behind bars. I say it's even split between the two extremes.

The real question is how well that 'Reformation' thing is executed and what was extent of their misdeeds. Sunset got a whole movie with her dealing about this issue. True she transformed into raging she-demon and was planning to conquer Equestria, but she never managed to go through with it. I would say that her part was executed right.

Now Discord...Discord is other cookie altogether. Unlike other antagonists there was not much malice in him, just...selfishness and extreme immaturity. Now, he screwed up a lot but every time he did, it came back to bite him. Turned to statue two times and almost losing all he managed to work out afterwards. We had seen him a lot and thus it feels more...natural for him to turn Face since his introduction. It helps that we don't really have much information how long his past reign has lasted etc. Discord is reformed, true but tamed he is not. Certainly we will see more of him and I will bet diamonds against coconuts that he will be as big troll as ever.

Now, we come to Glimmer. It's hard to say how well her Heel-Face turn worked since it just happened but so far I myself feel it was...sloppy.

Don't get me wrong, Season Finale was fantastic two episodes. But seeing that Starlight was a pony who basically brainwashed whole village of ponies (some of them possibly for years) and then almost caused Time Crash after creating several bad futures all for the sake of very petty revenge makes me feel that she gotten off the hook far too easily.

Her Freudian excuse isn't very convincing when confronted with her actions in the pilot, as well as her willingness to sacrifice EVERYTHING to get even with Twilight. There wasn't very much empathy for anyone from her, and if it was it came out as very, very twisted. To me she came out as being far more selfish then even Discord as he was initially and her past didn't do much to dampen that.

• 3 weeks later...

The fact that this has happened TWICE now for practically NO REASON AT ALL/nonsense reasons...

Is quite... disconcerting.

I've already talked about Discord so I won't do that again. As for Glimmer... I've kind of already talked about that too that apparently everyone disagrees with.

But I feel as if they have a tendency to do this way too quickly making those of us who like them as villains (me) feel shafted and then they just expect us to like them now and just pretend like they did nothing wrong.

Um... NO.

Sorry but that's just how I feel about it and that's probably not going to change. Ever.

:unsure:

The ONLY reason i would give Glimmer ANY sort of leniency with her actions in the finale is assuming she thought the only ramification to her actions was simply Twilight and the others never become friends. It seems to be strongly hinted at that she is completely unaware of what happens to Equestria as a result. Not that this alone isn't bad enough. She still got off too easy.

I'd actually like to see more of Glimmer on a redemption arc, rather than just a one and done finale. Sure, the mane 6, paragons of friendship and forgiveness that they are, can quickly forgive and befriend this damaged pony, but Our Town? We see them forgive her, but I want to see the process. She harmed those ponies, deeply, and their trust should be re-earned, not simply given.

I'm also very pro-redemption, as it's a greater good than imprisonment, banishment, or destruction. If Luna had simply been locked away again, what consequences would that have upon Equestria? Watching over the night, helping other ponies in dreams, Luna is a force for good, and without her magic, it's possible Tirek would have simply beaten Twilight outright and conquered Equestria without ever returning her friends. Punishing a bad guy does little to really help anyone beyond setting an example when all is said and done.

To be honest, I REALLY don't feel all that strongly either way, but I DO love a good debate.

She definitely did make an interesting villain.  The first time we saw her as the villain, she honestly believed what she was doing was making Equestria a better place.  She was wrong of course, but she doesn't realize that.  She just knows she was trying to make Equestria better, and a new girl shows up with her friends and ruins everything.  AND who wouldn't want revenge for this?

The second time we see her as a villain, revenge is what is happening.  OR at least part of what is happening.  The other part, I believe, is to ensure that she could start over with her previous plan, but this time there would be no 'Mane Six' to interfere.  She really wasn't aware of all the other consequences that Twilight experienced.

While what she did do, and what she almost did, were Extraordinarily bad, it wasn't her intention for them to be that bad.  She really did want what was best for everypony in the end.  Well, everypony except Twilight.  She just had a bad idea of what was best.

Long story short, While they should have fleshed out her change of heart a bit more, it is believable that it could have happened fairly easily in the right circumstances.  NOT saying she should have went without punishment of some kind (And who knows, she may undergo at least some form of probation under Twilight in season 6) but I can accept her reformation.

Now show me an episode where they manage to reform Sombra, and I'll rage.

Sombra: I am... I only enslaved and cursed an entire kingdom because of uh, father issues. And um... a cursed, uh, cloak.

*throws off cloak*

Sombra: Oh what relief, my wickedness is gone! Twilight, you are truly the Princess of Friendship! I walk away a new pony...

*tries to walk away from Mane 6, rainbow powered annihilation

Sombra: You're not buying it are you?

*shake heads no

Sombra: Well, that is JUST like my father. I mean he was a slave driver- er. Not, not like literally, poor turn of phrase, but seriously, he uh, really messed me up. Did you know that one time, he told me that if I didn't overthrow the Crystal Empire and subjugate all it's citizens, he was going to ground me? I mean, seriously. That's messed up.

You're... still not buying it? Arrghh! What's a pony got to do to get some redemption around here?

Nah, Sombra's a major league jerk. Maybe if there was tragedy and a transformation like Nightmare Moon to Luna, but it's still pushing it.

Oh yea!  Forgot about that.

Well, back on topic, SO FAR, I think I agree with who they've reformed and who they haven't.

Except maybe Discord.  But then again, his turn around wasn't exactly instant.  Mostly playing along at first just so they wouldn't turn him to stone.  Took a while for it to become legit, so I consider him a 'maybe'.

Yay. I get to post here again.

Some of it has spoilers though (mostly MLP Comic Spoilers) so I'll treat them as all other spoilers

Okay... so... 'Siege of the Crystal Empire' MLP Comic arc. For those that read the comic, READ THIS. For those that don't read the comic, READ THIS.

You won't regret it. Probably the BEST arc in the comics so far.

Opinions on the comic aside... onto substance...

How it ended...

THAT'S how you do a reformation/redemption. NOT how it was done for dictatorship jerk Glimmer.

The End.

LostSanity

:unsure:

I don't think there's a specific way to do a reformation.  Different people like different types of reformation, and there isn't a right or a wrong one.  It's like a spell: there are many ways to cast it.  Someone like Twilight could study and try again and again until they succeeded in casting it; or someone like evil Trixie could purchase a form of "cheating material" (like the Alicorn Amulet) and use that to cast it.  The results are the same, and there is neither a "right" nor a "wrong" way to cast the spell.

That's just in my opinion.

Archived