A Crystal Heartswarming [Crystal Empire] (Open)

Skycoaster

A Crystal Heartswarming

FlkYTmx.png?1

Princess Flurry Heart

Flurry flew from decoration to decoration. Every bow on every wreath had to be straight. Every piece of garland uniform in it hanging. A large evergreen tree graced one of the ballrooms of the Crystal Palace. Flurry had chosen this room herself to host the party. It wasn't the largest in the castle, but each end was flanked by a large fireplace. The filly grinned as she lit the first, smaller of them with a spell. She chuckled as she heard her mother's voice in her head about playing with fire.

"How's it look dad?" she called to her father, whom was co-hosting the event...her first to boot. She was glad to have his guidance with things like this. "I hope every creature we invited comes, though I understand a lot of them probably have their own traditions, like the ones you told me about when you and Auntie Twilight where my age with Grandma and Grandpa....and the ones after where Uncle Spike hatched."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seasons Greetings

Her Highness, Princess Flurry Heart of the Crystal Empire

Requests your presence on Hearthswarming Eve

To Celebrate this most loving time of the year.

Refreshments and Entertainment

Provided.

There will be no gift exchange,

However please bring a new toy

To be donated to less fortunate foals.

Please arrive no earlier then 4 in the evening.

Toys will be collected at the door.

Thank you

Princess Flurry Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shining Armor was immensely proud of his daughter.  For the past few months, she'd been taking active steps in growing into her role as a Princess, and this event, celebrating Hearts Warming Eve, was almost entirely her idea.  It wasn't a particularly common holiday in the Empire, it having been remote from Greater Equestria even before being sealed away for 1,000 years.  But having a little charity giving to the unfortunate foals would be a great way to get the Crystal Ponies onboard.

"Looks good, Fluffalump."  Shining wasn't going to be able to use his nickname for Flurry in front of guests, so he took advantage while he could.  "I'm sure everyone who comes will have a good time, and this will be a good opportunity for us all to learn how things will be done in the Empire from now on."  One day, this would all be her responsibility... would she look back on this halcyon day to remember when it all began?

• Like 2

FlkYTmx.png?1

Flurry rolled her eyes at her father’s nickname for her as she flew down to give him a big hug. Her ears would twitch as she heard Shining say something about now on. What did he mean by that? She was far too young to be making any changes to the empire other then this charity event and small experiment. 

“Um dad, I got the sweets menu submitted to the kitchen but I couldn’t think of what would make a good dinner. I don’t suppose you have a meal that Grandma and Grandpa would make for you and Aunt Twilight for Heartswarming? Eating cookies and sweets all day sounds more like a Pinkie Pie thing,she’d say with a giggle. 

A long table was placed along the side wall of the room. Sweets where slowly filling the table as kitchen staff beganjng bringing cookies and gingerbread replicas of some of the Crystal Empire’s more famous building. Even one frozen yogurt shop. Next the centerpiece was set up. It was a pony sized snowman made of an off white frozen yogurt enchanted not to melt. It’s arms where cinnamon sticks while the buttons and eye where made of dried fruits.

”Oh, I forgot to tell you, I invited somponies from Ponyville to spend a few nights. Mom’s going to have them set up in one of the guest rooms. The ones with the big pillows. It will be nice to see the Apples again.”

Flurry couldn’t believe how well the table was coming together and how well everything looked together. Looking to the snowman with a grin she would look back at Shining. “He’s Holiday Nog flavored.”

As the clock struck three, Flurry looked to her father. “We still have to select the guards for the door! Who do you think we should get? I bet guest will be showing up shortly.”

• Like 1

It seemed like only hours ago she had received her invitation, and now Udon was here, in the Crystal Palace, assisting the kitchen staff! They had only a few hours for everything to be completely ready for the guests to arrive, which meant it was crunch time. She zipped over to a large pot and sampled its contents, being sure it had a good balance of flavors. Her holiday special was simple enough to make, but too much of any of the spices would send it to ruin. Her husband was supposed to be here with her, but had come down with an unfortunate cold the day before and so was unable to assist her. Now, it appeared the other chefs were carting out their pieces. She tasted it one more time, nodded, and decided it would be good enough. She then proceeded to poor it into a more friendly-looking bowl for serving, topped it with a ladle, and moved out into the ballroom.

She felt somewhat out of place, being one of the few non-crystal ponies, but that wasn't a new feeling. She'd been living in the Crystal Empire for years now and hadn't seen another thestral since arriving. The occasional pegasus or unicorn came through, but never areions. They tended to live on the outskirts of Equestria Proper, or even outside of it entirely, so she wasn't surprised.

After placing her soup, she retreated back into the kitchen for a moment of rest. It had been a long day already, and now the night was finally on its way. She decided now would be as good a time as any to take a pick-me-up, so she located her bag stashed in a corner, removed a vial of Everwake, and tossed the contents down the hatch. Instantly, she felt rejuvenated and ready to go the rest of the night. Alright, Udon, tonight's your night. Time to shine! she thought to herself. She straightened her hat and uniform and returned to her work.

• Like 1
  • Aubergine 1

Shining would return Flurry's hug with a ruffle of her mane.  "Usually, your Grandma would cook what she called a 'celebration soup,' but she has yet to give up the recipe.  I think she wanted us to come up with our own, so!  I asked some folks I met with to help with the kitchen.  Meanwhile... for today, and today only, everypony can have as many sweets as they want."  Pinkie Pie wasn't here, so surely an indulgent holiday privilege like that wouldn't end in disaster, right?

Hearing that she'd invited a few friends from Ponyville, Shining was fine with that.  It would probably help for Flurry to have some familiar friendly faces around, just as Twily liked to spend Heartswarming with at least some of her close Ponyville friends.  "Alright, I'll let her know.  And don't worry about the guards at the door, I've selected the best."  Older officers, who aged more into 'jolly' than 'grumpy.'  You earned the privilege of cushy posts like that after a few decades of service.  "Hope the guests arrive soon, you've done a great job preparing for them!"

• Like 2

FlkYTmx.png?1

Flurry smiled to her father and nodded. “I can’t wait. I got everypony something to remember the evening as well,” as she levitated a large box wrapped in colorful paper to the entrance of the room. Inside it where glass replicas of the Crystal Heart with a spot to hang them from. “Custom ornaments dad,” she’d say with a smile. “As for the staff in the kitchen, I hope they can join us for the party as well once things slow down. Same for the guards after they change shifts.” Flurry wanted to make sure all had a good time. Guests and staff alike. 

As the time grew nearer, Flurry would look at the clock. “Oh I almost forgot. Be back in a second dad,” as she teleported you her room with a flash of gold. A few seconds later she would return with a red scarf trimmed in white, and her hair bow changed to red to match. She also had a red hat which she proceeded to levitate to her father. “Matching outfits!”

As the time ticked even closer to four o’clock, the excited filly flew to the door to greet the first guest when they arrived. “Welcome! Happy Hearthswarming!” As she levitated an ornament to the guest, but also made sure they brought a toy to donate first.

• Like 1

As fate would have it, the firstcomer would also happen to be a newcomer to the Crystal Empire- which was not, in fact, an empire- who was quite surprised to encounter her second alicorn ever in the form of a... Filly.

She had presumed that alicorns were artificial in nature. A transformation achieved through great effort and the nebulous power of cosmic fate, but here stood a pony so young she could hardly imagine she had the life experience to have achieved such heights.

She'll have to talk to Twilight after this.

Slapping on a cordial smile, she nodded to the filly. "And to as well... Princess Flurry Heart?" Obviously she'd done some research on the strange city-state, including who the ruling family was. 

Noticing the ornament, she exchanged the toy boat in her aura for the little trinket, studying it fastidiously. "Ah, this must be for the 'tree'." Thankfully Aloe had helped her understand some Hearth's Warming traditions. 

Last but not least (so as not to be too long a post), Rose was dressed in a simple gold cloak. A cultural reference of her own, but one most likely lost on the Equestrians. 

• Like 1

Eden Glow hadn't been back to the Crystal Empire in a long time. Almost half his life, in fact, but since he'd gotten here last night his teeth had been on edge. His teachers would call it a resonant feedback event, where like calls to and amplifies like. They'd explain that the hum Eden could feel down to his soul right now was just his aurora magic reaching out to the beacon atop the Crystal Palace, finding a kindred thread of power, and allowing the much more powerful effect to solidify its foundation and structure. That the reason the colt was practically beside himself with excitement was that his thaumic reservoir was being plucked by something that was just a byproduct of the Crystal Heart. They could have given a dissertation on the subject of the young unicorn literally glowing even in his sleep because of the tremendous power of resonant magic.

Eden himself would just say "Sky's awake." and leave it at that. But he could still FEEL the magic of the Empire all the way down to his curly mane tips, tucked into the knit cap and scarf Foxtrot got him for last Hearths' Warming. At 3 PM, he found himself waiting by the actual Crystal Heart itself, and he was all but leaving afterimages of himself in his wake as he soaked in the atmosphere. When the guards finally let the guests into the hall for the party, it took most of the discipline he had to limit himself to leaving an aurora trailing his horn as he levitated his present along with him. It was a neat gift, he thought as he deposited it. Foxtrot had called it a zoetrope mobile, and Eden had one himself with a bunch of strips to change what they projected! This one only had a couple, but it could be put over a lamp instead of needing to buy bulbs or make his own light for it, and Eden hadn't actually used his in a couple of years. No point when he could make his own light shows!

He floated the box over to a good spot where it wouldn't be at risk of getting dropped, crushed, or bent, and turned to wait for his turn to meet their hosts. Again, technically, though Foxtrot had warned him that the Princess and Prince might not remember him since it was so long ago. Especially for Princess Flurry, since she was as old now as he'd been then! But he still couldn't help but to leak a little light as he waited.

• Like 2

Sunrise… had sort of avoided the Crystal Empire since the last time she had been here. Somewhat understandable, she thought, considering the party she had been at was attacked by vikings. It had been some time since then though, so she decided to give it another shot. On that note, the fiery unicorn was waiting in line to get in with a couple other ponies ahead of her, and she was wearing a dress she had designed herself. It wasn’t exactly her flashiest work, though she did make sure to still include the functionality to let her do her fire tricks if need be. All in all, it looked mostly like a well-fitted red dress, with some gold trim. It also dipped a bit on one side to show off more of her tattoo. 

Floating in a box beside her was her donation, a home sewing kit. She wanted to help enable the next generation of fashion designers to discover or develop their passion for fashion. 

Art of Sunrise Skies

• Like 2

Shining Armor nodded, smiling at his daughter's considerateness.  "I made sure to have some relief squads in backup, don't worry."  He took a closer look at the replica ornaments, rather impressed at the worksponyship.  "Where did you find these?  They're quite impressive!"

That was about all he got to before the guests began to arrive.  The first guest... Shining had to suppress a flinch.  Still having a soldier's mindset, and still bearing a scar on his mind from his changeling captivity, he couldn't help but keep his senses aware for any disguised changelings.  Of course, he knew the majority of the Hive had been turned to Harmony, and Chrysalis herself was no longer a threat, but... as much as he tried, there would be one part of himself that couldn't quite shut itself off.

No need to be rude for that, though, and he outwardly smiled and nodded at Rose, though he kept a little closer to his daughter than he otherwise might.

The next face he actually did recognize, though he decided to wait to see if Flurry recognized him too.  The young colt had visited before, and Shining wanted to see if one of Flurry's more contemporary guests might turn into a friend.

The next familiar face, though, he did greet in person.  "Ah, Sunrise Skies, good to see you again in the Empire!"  He left unmentioned any word on the incidents of her last visit.  No need to bring up any more traumas this holiday...

• Like 2

FlkYTmx.png?1

As Flurry was about to answer her father, the first guest drew her attention. She wore a gold cloak, and seemed a bit confused, as did most in the Crystal Empire with this imported holiday. Flurry did notice her father's reaction to the newcomer, however didn't pay much attention to it. Uncle Spike told her about the changeling in the Empire before and he turned out to be one of their greatest allies. Perhaps she had paid attention in diplomacy class after all, or at least the part of invasions.

When she had asked if it was for the tree, Flurry nodded. "Yep. We're all going to put them on the tree tonight, then you'll get to take it home with you after the party to put on your own tree for years to come. Perhaps even come back next year and get another. Different design of course," she giggled. "Food and punch await. Feel free to socialize."

Next was an older colt, perhaps just double her age, which wasn't saying much in the life of an alicorn. "Hello, and Happy Hearthswarming. Here is your own personal Crystal Heart for the tree..." Flurry would tilt her head as she looked him over from head to tail. "You look kinda familiar? I...I didn't grab your muzzle when I was a foal did I? I kinda did that to a lot of ponies that came to visit," she'd blush before looking back to her father. By the expression on his face, she could tell he knew the colt from somewhere as well. "The celebration is just now beginning so be sure to socialize and grab a bite to eat. I'll be sure the guards take extra special care of your gift."

The next guest her father did know, and by name to boot. "Happy Hearthswarming. I'm sure some little filly will be happy with your gift. And this is for you," as she gave the unicorn her own little Crystal Heart. “Enjoy your time here and be sure to get some food and drink."

• Like 1

Right, she should probably get a tree of her own real soon- in fact, she was already on it. She still didn't understand the significance of a tree in a tradition rooted (no pun intended) in unification and fire

And as Hearth's Warming, shouldn't a fire be the main theme of the holiday? Decorating fireplaces and, perhaps, chimneys?

But who is she to scrutinize their culture?

After being dismissed, she respectfully inclined her head and progressed further into the castle, idly examining the architecture. She'd have liked to socialize with the princess, but, upon noticing a particular- lone- figure, she realized exactly how she wanted to spend time with.

She approached him with a cordial smile and an outstretched hoof.

"Ah, you must be Shining Armor. Your sister is an astounding mare, and the best friend a creature could ask for." She could practically smell the familiarity between them, if not notice it in their magical auras.

Eden Glow took the little ornament into his own aura, shaking his head at the Princess's question. Embarrassingly enough, he barely remembered Flurry herself except as a giggling foal in a high chair and something about a snotsplosion? Foxtrot had told him the story a couple of times but he'd been preoccupied at the time by the palace's aurora beacon and Empress Cadenza's questions. Though he had a strange craving for broccoli Alfredo at the mention of food.

He dipped his head deferentially and stepped out of the greeting line so as not to disturb its flow, making his way over to the food tables, where he doubted he'd find Alfredo, but Foxtrot would be grumpy at him if he didn't eat something. To keep the ornament out of the way, he opted to hang it from his horn, letting it split the light still occasionally leaking from him, which did some pretty colourful things to his aurora magics. He'd need to test this specific ornament later, but the sheer number of shiny, reflective, or refractive things around during Solstice and Hearthswarming season made it Eden's favourite time of year by a long margin.

• Like 1

Apple Bloom's chittering, chattering teeth told the tale of a pony whose tail was not as well suited to this weather as she'd like to think. Ponyville could get mighty cold at times but when that was the case she knew to stay inside, covered in blankets and with a fire. Instead here she was, traveling to the Crystal Empire for a party. A new party, a special party to be sure and one she was happy to attend, but still. Cold. When she was dropped off at the train station she immediately had regrets. Still, she bundled up with a coat and trotted her way gainfully through the city. The city was beautiful in the worst of times but with the holiday season in full bloom it was inspiring to see how it could look. The sort of image and feeling she would carry in her heart forever: Lights dancing in the cold breeze, forming auras against the blizzard that gave the Empire a colored haze that reflected the snowfall, ad the distant din of music and song seemed to echo across the ice cavern that was the Empire in winter. The good feelings it produced were enough to keep her cheery despite the cold, and it was why she was in crystal form as she approached the castle. For a toy she had selected one of her older stuffed animals, a big ursa bear plush she used to love as a kid. It was well kept, cleaned, smelled all nice and would be a perfect gift for a little filly or colt. With that in tow, she rapped on the door to the castle.

• Like 2

Sunrise hadn’t really been expecting Shining Armor to recognize her, let alone by name, but it was certainly a welcome surprise. Honestly, she expected that he wouldn’t remember her at all, it had been a while since the last time, and she couldn’t say she would necessarily remember a pony she met once at a party a while ago. She smiled at the other unicorn, nodding at his words before responding. 

“Thank you for the warm welcome, Prince Shining Armor. I thought it had been long enough that a second try was in order.” She smiled, giving a slight bow at the title. Her attention then turned to the little alicorn as she started speaking. “Thank you as well. I brought this in the hope that it will ignite a passion for fashion in some little pony’s heart. Or, it may just be a way for a family to extend the life of their clothing. Either way, I am happy to help them.” Sunrise smiled, taking the offered ornament and depositing her gift. With that exchange done, she nodded to Flurry, letting her greet the other guests first. For now, the orange unicorn decided to join Shining and the other mare. 

“Happy Heartswarming, you two.” She said, giving them both a warm smile. “My name is Sunrise Skies, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” She added, introducing herself to the other mare. 

• Like 1

Shining Armor chuckled at Sunrise's little remark.  "Well, giving second chances rather runs in the family now, doesn't it?  Either way, I hope you enjoy your stay."  It was just as well he reminded himself of the spirit of Hearthswarming and forgiveness, as he was approached by the changeling he'd detected earlier.  He forced himself to relax.  She didn't appear in any way threatening, no more so than Thorax when he first arrived.  It was best to extend a hoof of trust, even given everything that happened in the past.  Otherwise, what was the holiday for?

"Yes I am, and you are...?"  He asked, as Rose had not yet introduced herself.

• Like 2

Flurry smiled as the colt took his ornament, though she now had the thought of snotsplosion running through her mind. With a smile, she would continue to greet the arriving guests and handing out ornaments. She was pleasantly surprised with the turn out both from her kingdom and even others.

As Flurry’s collection of toys grew to a tower, and replica Crystal Hearts ran low, she was glad to see the line was almost to the end. Still no sign of her special guests though… as she continued to smile on the outside. On the inside a bit of disappointment.

As the last guest arrived, Flurry was would levitate her an ornament. “Happy Hearthswarming, your gift will be appreciated-“ Flurry broke her royal protocol for a split moment. Her father had wondered off to socialize with guest anyway. “Apple Bloom! You made it!” As it took all her self control to not hug the teen mare. “She’d poke her head around, looking for the other Apple kin. “Where’s everypony else?” She’d ask with a raised eyebrow. “Anyhow, come on in. There is tons of treats, punch, and warm soups. You know, to warm you up from the inside.” 

The Princess would motion for a guard. “Make sure Miss Apple Bloom’s luggage gets to the guest room. The one with the big pillows.” He’d nod as Flurry would shut the door to the ball room now that everypony had arrived.

• Like 2

Rose perked up. "Oh! Pardon me," with an incline of her head, she introduced herself: "My name is Rose Compass, soon-to-be royal alchemist of Ponyville... Or is it of Equestria?" She looked off into the distance with a contemplative look, hoof tapping her chin. Then she shrugged.  "Donde fueres, haz lo que vieres."

She offered Sunrise a smile as well, giving her a brief look-over. As usual, she threw in a subtle scan as well. You can never be too sure of one's health, after all. "Quite the fashion statement. I take it you have an affinity for such things?"

In truth, she had barely noticed the unicorn before. She was a rather unremarkable specimen in her eyes, but this was a social gathering... So she would be social.

• 3 weeks later...

As her guests began to settle in for the event, Flurry would sneak away for a moment, ending up at the food table. She would smile to those she passed along the way. Her main task however was to calm her now growling stomach. A growing alicorn burned a lot of calories.

Before filling her own plate however, she would make an announcement from nearby. “Attention every creature. Make sure to make your way over to the food tables some time tonight. A lot of work was put in by our staff, as well as a few guest chefs to make sure we all have something warm in our tummies.” Turning to levitate a bowl of soup, she remembered one thing. “Oh before I forget,” she’d announce, “we will be lighting the main fireplace once nightfall starts. I want you to think of a caring though for that moment.”

Flurry would quickly finish a bowl of soup before filling a plate with cookies and a glass of punch. It was only once a year so she hoped her father wouldn’t criticize her choice of food tonight too much.

• Like 1

Shining tilted his head a bit at the mention of Royal Alchemist.  "Oh, so you've met Twily- Princess Twilight?"  He corrected, knowing it wasn't likely that she was familiar enough to refer to his LSBFF by nickname.  "Well, if she thinks well of you, I trust her judgment.  Have a happy Hearthswarming!"  And knowing that Twily had evaluated Rose did put his mind at ease.  She'd faced even more villains than he had, and would surely have recognized if this changeling was one.

For the rest, he was content to stand in the background, and let his little filly act the Princess tonight.  It was an endearing sight to see her so grown up, even if dinner tonight was cookies and punch.  Well, he'd let that slide, tonight.  As the fireplace was lit that night, his thoughts were on his family, here, upstairs in the Palace, and far away in Ponyville and Canterlot.  Wherever they were, whoever they were with, he wished them all the warmth this season could provide.

• Like 1