*Updated Oct 28th!* Huzzah! It's October! Get ready for the Great Harvest Spook-tacular, Contests, and Nightmare Night! *Updated! Oct 28th!*

Manestream

*Updated! Oct 28th!*

Allright, everypony- all systems and contests are go! Be sure to check out the prizes thread here!:

*Updated! Oct 15th! - Again!*

The Harvest Spook-Tacular has been set up, and the gates have been opened for everypony to flood on in and enjoy! The Harvest Festival will run for 3 weeks, until November 5th! At that time no new topics can be made. However, you can still post in the open topics to finish up your Rp up until the 14th of November (a monday morning). This gives a total of a little over 4 weeks to enjoy RP'ing the Harvest-Spook-Tacular itself!

There will be another RP event that occurs during the festival, the mysterious Nightmare Night! Nightmare night is a single spooky night filled with stories of the spooky and unnatural- it is filled with darkness and mystery, and its own powerful association with the night! Many ponies consider it just that, a legend, and it has become a festive occasion to honor the night, where foals and ponies of all ages go out celebrate the night with costumes, candy- and of course, parties! Even though Nightmare Night encompases only one night- We will be having a special trick-or-treat event to celebrate this holiday that will take place between the nights of October 28th through November 3rd. There will be awards and prizes with this event- so don't miss out! Its going to be awesome!

You can find the Harvest Spook-Tacular thread and a description of all the RP'able locations here!

I need to run a few errands right now- but I will be posting up the contest forums within the next few hours so that everypony can start submitting their works and get any questions they might have answered!

You can submit your art pieces for the art contest (and find the rules) here!

Likewise, you can submit your written pieces for the writing contest (and find the rules) here!

Its going to be a great festival everypony! Looking forward to seeing everypony there!

*Original Post*

Eyup! You heard right! I hope everyone has had a nice first week to settle into October- I know that here the cold winds and rainy days are beginning to pick up, and that means very very very long days at work as a barista for me, but I can't blame everypony- I'm feeling the need for a hot sweet-drink too this time of season! So if those cold mornings are creeping into your neck of Equestria- break out those scarves and wind-breakers and enjoy the fall weather! Its time to celebrate the harvest season!

Here at Canterlot, we've got a lot planned for everypony starting October 15th, 2011:

The Great Harvest Spook-tacular RP event!

The Harvest Spook-tacular is a celebration of the autumn harvest season in Equestria! There will be a huge street fair and festival, a corn maze, haunted house, many other locations to explore, and lots of ponies (and other creatures) dressing up!

Nightmare Night!

During the Harvest Spook-tacular there is the ever-famous Nightmare Night, a night (one RP/Event week) shrouded in mystery, candlelight, and darkness- but that doesn't stop ponies from all over from visiting their favorite locations to trick-or-treat! But be careful- many spooky legends surround Nightmare Night- you never know what kind of scary-or wonderful- things you might find at night! Beware all ponies who venture out of town and into the night!

Contests!

Yes, contests! TWO to be precise! We will be holding an art contest and a writing contest that will be open for submission starting the 15th! However, you can get started NOW!

Art Contest -

Best cast character Halloween art – single character

• Only one character permitted per entry.
  • Cast character may be background, but they must be recognizable. (Like, you can't make your character a ghost and completely cover them up, etc.)
  • Must be dressed in costume or Halloween attire.

Best cast character Halloween art - group of characters

• Must contain at least three cast characters MINIMUM. However, there is no maximum limit. (But remember, more characters does not necessarily equal better art.)
  • OCs may also be included in the picture.
  • Cast characters may be background, but they must be recognizable. (Like, you can't make your character a ghost and completely cover them up, etc.)

Best dressed OC Halloween art - single character

• Only one character permitted per entry.
  • Must be an Original Character created by YOU.

Writing Contest -

• 1500 word MINIMUM. Anything below that doesn't count.
  • Must be Halloween themed
  • Must contain the phrase: "I've got a bad feeling about this"

Prizes!!!

Yes! There will be prizes! I will be including a list of those as the event gets closer, so come check back everypony!

So as you can see everypony has a lot to look forward too! Are you excited? IM excited! I don't think I've been this excited since the time that season two aired and I went *GASP!* :-o Looking forward to seeing everypony there!

• Like 3

Oh my Celestia a writing contest! I'm SO in! One question though, is there a maximum word count for the writing contest? 3 years of NaNoWriMo has set my brain to write 50K anytime I write a story.

D: Bwah, would anypony really write that much?! :o

... can you do three pics, and join the three art contests? XD

You can enter ALL the contests... but we'll be limiting it to a different winner per category.

D: Bwah, would anypony really write that much?! :-o

B-but that's how you "win" at NaNoWriMo! 50K words over the course of November. If you want to find out more here's the website: WWW.nanowrimo.org

it's really a lot of fun, and best of all it's completely free! :)

50k words isn't all that hard to believe, there are some fics that go on for like dozens of chapters. If you put your mind to it, cranking out 5k words in a day isn't too bad, especially if it's for something you enjoy writing. All you'd need is 10 days like that, and you'd hit your goal.

So yeah, you might want to put an upper limit on there, just in case.

Yeah. There should definitely be some kind of limit. If there isn't one, everyone who wants to win is going to be forced to write something excessively long in order to match the first over achiever who submits something crazy.

I would imagine the judges for this contest probably don't want to be reading through multiple 50K+ stories anyway... :blush:

This sounds like fun! I'll try my hand at the art contest.

Now, does the art have to be done digitally (or on photoshop, GIMP, etc..), or can I use my little No.2 pencil?

I am most interested in the writing portion. But since I have never done anything like this, I feel a little unclear about the details of the writing requirements. Is it supposed to be a pony fan-fiction or something? Can it be crossover? Does Halloween themed mean the holiday or the environment?

Aw, why didn't I check this sooner... I have one day to think up something for the writing contest. Actually, wow, I procrastinated and left it till the last possible moment and didn't even know it. Sweet Luna am I good or what?

Now sure I understand the RP one though. So its a one week long RP event? Its not part of the contests right? Hmm, this should be a blast!

Aw, why didn't I check this sooner... I have one day to think up something for the writing contest. Actually, wow, I procrastinated and left it till the last possible moment and didn't even know it. Sweet Luna am I good or what?

Now sure I understand the RP one though. So its a one week long RP event? Its not part of the contests right? Hmm, this should be a blast!

The contests and events *start* tomorrow- everyone just had a week to think about what they'd like to do *for* the contests :'3 so dont fret, you've got plenty of time! At least 3 weeks still for the art and writing contests (we just arent accepting submissions until tomorrow- because thats my day off and I can launch everything we've prepared, and troubleshoot it all tomorrow if needed).

The Harvest festival RP will last three weeks, and the Nightmare Night trick or treat event will last for one week over the top of halloween. I'll have dates and lots more information for everyone after work tonight! <3

Oh my Celestia a writing contest! I'm SO in! One question though, is there a maximum word count for the writing contest? 3 years of NaNoWriMo has set my brain to write 50K anytime I write a story.

There is no maximum per se- but try to keep it within the realm of reason >.>; lets say, if it ends up much longer than an average fan fiction, or your goin on 15-20 pages in word and have no dialogue, send me a PM ;3;

... can you do three pics, and join the three art contests? XD

You can enter every single contest if you like, with as many submissions as you like. If you divide your time, its less time per piece, and that is as much of an equalizer as is really possible. so, yes :3