So uh... I was electrocuted today...

Starfox64x

I dropped a lamp while cleaning up, and it shattered all over the place... i picked up the piece and got to the lightbulb itself. it was still intact so i tried to get it out... like an idiot i forgot to unplug it... so i got zapped...

anybody else get shocked like that before?

mm, static electricity experiment at school?

nah, I was raised in a way so now I'm super afraid of outlets and open wires. I'm always super cautious when touching them.

actually, I don't think I've ever really had a bad(ish) accident before... besides the time I fell on my head

Yeah I had a jolt about a few months ago. I was working on my Cousin's PC. It was kinda freezing all over even after reinstalling windows, so I decided to take it apart. It was a desktop tower PC. I took apart the screws and was gonna check the memory and stuff. The first thing I did was pull the power contacts from the motherboard and to my surprise I got a strong shock that it made me jump out and hit my cousin in the chest. Not only that but I kinda fried the motherboard as well. All because I forgot to unplug it from the wall socket. Duh...

Ended up buying him a new motherboard >.>

Once I was playing around with a broken CRT TV. After taking the casing off, and with the CRT bare I plugged it in to see if it worked. There was a bit of plastic near the tapered edge so I thought plastic non conductive try pushing it in for a firmer hold (I know not one of my bright moments), but long story short ended up on my flank with a singed and peeling finger.

I've been electrocuted before when I was a teenager. I was trying to plug in a lamp in the dark, and was feeling around for the light socket with the prongs on the plug. I guess I must have accidentally touched the prongs with my fingers. I got a jolt all the way up my arm to my shoulder, and my arm was all tingly afterwards. Now I'm very careful when plugging stuff in.

Oh, about 4 years ago or so... I was in the kitchen making a sandwich. I was washing the lettuce while the toaster toasted my bread. You know, like toasters tend to do. Any who, the toaster was a bit overzealous and decided to burn my toast. Like a foal, I stopped washing my lettuce and went to stop what I assumed was going to be the second time I burned toast. I think it was my pride or something about it being the second time I would fail to make toast. But, point is I hadn't even bothered to dry my hooves.

I still don't know what possessed me to do so, but instead of popping the plastic handle on the outside of the toaster (you know, like a smart pony) I reached for the cord with my left hoof while I placed my soaking wet right hoof ON TOP OF THE TOASTER... Dunno, maybe some part of me just thought "HAY, smoke... water... wet hoof... water trump smoke!" But yeah, a zap later I'm on the kitchen floor on my knees with the cord kung-fu gripped in my left hoof, toaster and burnt toast on the floor, breathing like a maniac while my heart thundered in my ears and my right arm refused to stop tingling and feeling numb. Kind of like when your arm falls asleep but not.

I took a few minutes to take stock of the facts that one, I was not dead. Two, I was incredibly INCREDIBLY foalish beyond belief. And three, I suddenly didn't feel like eating a sandwich anymore.

Needless to say, I'm much more careful about making my toast for sandwiches.

• 2 weeks later...

Back before I dropped doing an engineering degree in favour of physics (and eventually oceanography) I got a high voltage and multi-amp (yes, given application to the wrong area theoretically enought o kill) zap during a prac on three phase circuits. Accidently brushed my hand between two terminals... the shock caused many of the mussels in my arm to contract (painful) and set my arm a bit numb. Thankfully no serious damage though.

I've been electrocuted before when I was a teenager. I was trying to plug in a lamp in the dark, and was feeling around for the light socket with the prongs on the plug. I guess I must have accidentally touched the prongs with my fingers. I got a jolt all the way up my arm to my shoulder, and my arm was all tingly afterwards. Now I'm very careful when plugging stuff in.

That exact same thing happened to me! Twice, actually. I don't learn from my mistakes too well.... Heh heh

On electronics practice in college, a teacher came with a one million volt taser, while he pushed the switch he jabbered about the Voltage and Amperage and the thin relation between both and how electricity makes it's way around a body. (kick sum up, Low Amperage, side by side prongs, basically harmless) Basically, when the taser was passed around guess who fit the prongs in mouth and pushed the button?

Quick edit:

I just remembered this bit,

"Electrocution" was originally coined as the way to execute a felon using electricity (Electricity + Execution) i think Edison coined it after baking an Elephant. So if where live 'n' kickin' after some volts, technically isn't Electrocution, it's an Oxymoron (self contradicting sentence)

ed: Parker illustrated Encyclopaedia

Edited by Parker_Izing

I touched an electric fence once..

Ditto.

I also shocked myself on one of those electric flyswatter things. It had just been recently used, reached out to get my drink on the table, missing, hit the wires, and now I'm scared of the damn thing.

• 3 weeks later...