What cartoons did you watch growing up?

AznAxis

Nostalgia time~! What kinds of cartoons did you watch as a kid? If you still consider yourself a kid, what kinds of cartoons do you watch now?

Thinking back on my childhood, two come to mind that I loved...a lot.

I am a HUGE Sonic the Hedgehog fan, and SatAM is probably a big reason why. I remember waking up every Saturday morning looking forward to seeing the newest episode. A few years ago, while I was working retail security, I came across a DVD release of the entire 26 episode collection. I had to have it.

The other cartoon I distinctly remember loving as a kid, is Swat Kats. I remember I used to design new airships and weapons while watching this...pretty sure my folks still have some of those drawings stored away in the attic... xD

The Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, Arthur, Wishbone, My Little Pony, My Little Pony Tales, The Wild Thornberrys, Duck Tales, Tale Spin, Darkwing Duck, Mighty Ducks, Hey Arnold!, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Rupert, Rugrats, Shining Time Station, The Puzzle Place, Recess, The Angry Beavers, The New Adventurers of Winnie the Pooh, Goof Troop, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, PB&J Otter, Zoboomafoo, Doug, Animaniacs, Chalk Zone, Rocket Power, CatDog, Hamtaro, The Batman, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, Liberty's Kids, Gumby, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears, Pinky and the Brain, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Bonkers, The Magic School Bus, Lamb Chop's Play-Along, The Busy World of Richard Scarry, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, Tarzan, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Allegra's Window, Eureeka's Castle, and Teen Titans. May be more I don't remember.

• Like 1

Oh, so many... My TV was on some cartoon constantly.

Off the top of my head, I can distinctly recall enjoying:

Batman: The Animated Series (probably my favorite non-anime cartoon ever, or at least a close second to FiM), X-Men, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Animaniacs, Freakazoid!, Tiny Toons, Pinky and the Brain, Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Laboratory, Thundercats, Dragon Ball Z, Reboot, Gargoyles, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, The Simpsons, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Pokemon, Batman Beyond, Doug, Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold!, KaBlam!, and undoubtedly tons that are just slipping my mind. And then there were any number of the classic older cartoons they showed syndicated on Cartoon Network, including The Looney Toons, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Scooby Doo, Tom and Jerry, The Superfriends and so many more that I really enjoyed despite their age.

I favored Cartoon Network over Nickelodeon or Disney or whatever else, and it was definitely the default, but I would watch them all of them. Though I kind of liked most of the Nicktoons, I remember liking their live action stuff, and particularly their game shows, more than any of their animated offerings. I watched Disney the least when I was a kid, but there were certain shows I'd tune in for.

I was 14 when Adult Swim started, and I watched everything on their starting line up, so I guess that sort of counts too. it's high school age, but I was still pretty much a kid. Though it wasn't long after that that I started getting more into anime and less into the other stuff. There were still some cartoons I was really loving as an older teen, mostly super hero type stuff (Justice League was a favorite), though I was more into action and "adult" humor at that point in my life.

And this is all to say nothing of all the wonderful animated films I watched as a kid...

(Those in bold were seriously my favorites)

CN - Dexter's Laboratory, Time Squad,Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, I Am Weasel, Cow and Chicken, Johnny Bravo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Ed, Edd n Eddy, The Powerpuff Girls!

Disney Channel - The Lion King's Timon and Pumbaa, Fillmore!, The Legend of Tarzan, Duck Tales, Aladdin, Darkwing Duck, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Kim Possible, American Dragon: Jake Long, Dave the Barbarian, Lloyd in Space.

I feel quite proud to have experienced such awesome/hilarious cartoons.

• Like 1

SatAM too, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, that Super Mario Bros program with cheesy live action segments, the first Show of Transformers, Dragon Ball, Captain Planet (loved that show, sadly Spain only aired 1st season) ,

Heck I'm diggings my brains out...

The toxic crusader (let's make a kid's show out of a R rated horror movie)

M.A.S.K. (awesome music, awesome looks, awesome Mercedes SLC with scorpion stinger and tank threads...)

Heck I basically got feed on anything they thrown on us.

Now I remember another one, "Galaxy Sheriff" this show wasn't aired, they just videotaped it and there was in rental places (remember those old cube shaped videotapes with only one hub) There even was a "Fan club" you send a letter with your adress and enclose some post stamps and they'd send you some cardboard merchandise, like cardboard sheriff star, some cut' fold figures, stickers...

I am old.

• Kindergarten and before: Belle and Sebastian, G-Force (it was called G-force at the time, OK?), Space Stars (which was Space Ghost, The Herculoids, and then some recycled crap that I hated, but holy cow did I love Alex Toth as a child), the Raccoons, and those weird European cartoons in Pinwheel.
  • Grade School: My Little Pony...kind of...Jem, Moondreamers, Thundercats, Smurfs, Muppet Babies, Captain N the Game Master, the super Mario Brothers Super Show, Dungeons and Dragons, Kidd Video (but usually only for the intro), Masters of the Universe and She-Ra, Tiny Toon Adventures, Gummi Bears, Tale Spin, Ducktales. My enchantment with the Disney Afternoon ended when Darkwing Duck aired. Possibly because I at the time felt I was too old for Cartoons. And um...Rock n' Wrestling (SHUT UP!). I was oddly also obsessed with Widget the World Watcher in 8th grade (because it was on before school?)
  • High School: Doug (a tiny bit late to the game), Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Animaniacs, sometimes if I could catch it, the Tick. I had a brief, torrid love affair with Liquid television and MTv's Oddities (the Head, mostly) but eventually Beavis and Butthead bothered me because none of my friends would shut up about it (Ren and Stimpy fell to the same fate). I HATED Aeon Flux. Indifferent to Daria. Mostly I watched old, messed up animated movies in this time (Heavy Metal, Bakshi's stuff). And some poorly dubbed anime if I could get my hands on it. We did not have Youtube.
  • College: Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, O' Canada, Various stuff on Toonami. Powerpuff girls.
  • Now: Metalocalypse, Squidbillies, MLP FiM, Aqua Teen

• Like 1

The ones I remember loving the most were Pokemon, Digimon, Beyblade, X-Men Evolution and Teen Titans. I also watched TAS of Batman, Spider-Man and X-Men, along with Jackie Chan Adventures, Sonic X, Danny Phantom, The Batman, and I'm sure a whole bunch of others I don't remember any more.

More recently I've been watching The Spectacular Spider-Man (which is spectacular), Sym-Bionic Titan (also incredible), Teen Titans (for nostalgia), MLP:FiM (obviously), Young Justice (fantastic new series - revives my faith in modern cartoons), and some Danny Phantom too :)

All the Nickelodeon nicktoons, and the Cartoon Network cartoon cartoons I remember, but Courage the Cowardly Dog, Aaah Real Monsters & Rugrats were my favourites. Also whatever of the first MLP series we could find on tape. When I was much younger though, I remember watching mostly funny little british animations, like Postman Pat, the Clangers and Bagpuss. So different from now... sadly :sleep:

http://youtu.be/Lol3fjAyoJw

Oh my where do I start. I'll just do a list on what I remember in no particular order:

- Astro Boy

- Kimba the White Lion

- Speed Racer

- Carebears

- MLP (G1 & G2 prolly)

- Transformers

- Centurions

- He-Man

- Voltron (Lions and Vehicles)

- Garfield and Friends

- And more that I can't seem to remember.

• Like 1

Hmm, Winne the Pooh, Tiny Toon Adventures, Pretty much everything Disney was showing in the late 80's and early 90's. Rupert, Garfield and Friends, AHHHH Real Monsters was awesome and too short lived. Hmmm. Rocko's Modern Life, which I kinda see as a proto-spongebob. Ren and Stimpy. A lot of strange stuff on TVO that I barely remember from early childhood like Doctor Snuggles. COUNT DUCKULA! Lots of Warner Bros. Oh, the old X-Men cartoon with Jubilee and crappiness! I looved it!

It's weird, but I also get nostalgia for the late 90's stuff too. I was in late highschool and college and watched a lot of toons, so I have strong memories of stuff I'm way out of the childhood range of, like Recess, Pepper Anne, Weekenders, Filmore!, Arthur, etc.

Wow, you guys had a lot time to watch TV.

Before I moved to the US, the only two shows that I knew I had to watch were

Ranma 1/2

Pokemon

That's pretty much it. I had glimpses of other stuff, but if I had to watch one hour of something every month (and it was usually that), I would watch one of those two.

After I moved to the US, however, TV suddenly became my best friend, lol

By then, these were my favourites.

Futurama

Family Guy

SpongeBob SquarePants

The Fairly Odd Parents

The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius

Dexter's Laboratory

Teen Titans

Codename: Kids Next Door

Danny Phantom

Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers

American Dragon: Jake Long

Kim Possible

Lloyd in Space

Yu-Gi-Oh!

Catscratch

Hey Arnold!

All-Grown Up!

I probably watched others regularly, but those are the main ones.

I know that if I watched any of them right now, I'd still think they were as good as I did back in the day.

Obviously, this all occurred fairly recently though. lol

....I am also old, heh. When I was very young, we had cable and the Disney channel, so while I did watch My Little Pony (I still remember being terrified when the ponies were turned into monsters in Firefly's Adventure) and She-Ra, I also watched things that were particular to the Disney channel and Nickelodeon. I especially remember Belle and Sebastian and David the Gnome (I loved Swift the fox). When I was older, I watched Jem, and I was so disappointed that the dolls looked nothing like the characters did in the show. Like, uh, everyone in my generation, I was briefly obsessed with TMNT.

Around my early teens, I know I watched Captain N, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, and Batman: the Animated Series, heh. I don't think the Cartoon Network started until I was in high school or college, but even so, I watched Dexter's Laboratory and the Powerpuff Girls, as well as all the badly-dubbed anime I could find.

Then I went to school for animation, and discovered all sorts of peculiar and wonderful things that I had never even guessed existed! o.O

EDIT: I can't believe that I forgot to mention Voltron! I even had a little figure of the Princess. <3

Edited by Lyricality

Here are the cartoons I watched growing up.

X Men The Animated Series

Tiny toon Adventures

CatScratch

My Life as A Teenage Robut

Doug

Angry Beavers

Batman the Animated Series

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Johnny Bravo

Cow and Chicken

Dexters Labratory

Animaniacs

Garfield and Friends

Teen Titans

Ed, Edd, and Eddie

Jetsons

Flintstones

PowerPuff Girls

Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers

Gummi Bears

Goof Troop

The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my where do I start. I'll just do a list on what I remember in no particular order:

- Astro Boy

- Kimba the White Lion

- Speed Racer

- Carebears

- MLP (G1 & G2 prolly)

- Transformers

- Centurions

- He-Man

- Voltron (Lions and Vehicles)

- Garfield and Friends

- And more that I can't seem to remember.

I had a small collection of Carebears videos but my memory of them is too fuzzy to think of anything specific about them. Was there an actual TV series or just movies they came out with now and then?

I know I used to watch Spider-Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Street Sharks when I was real young - again too long ago to remember them clearly. I watched Pokemon for about five years, I guess (if each season was a year long - I watched up to early Advanced). Watched Rugrats with my sister before going to school for years. The first two generations of Digimon (that show's still going, isn't it? I keep seeing new Digimon stuff pop up every now and then). Ed, Edd, n Eddy and Teen Titans were big between my siblings and I for a couple years while I was in high school.

I guess that's about it. I really wasn't one to watch TV all that much. Recently I've just been watching random anime titles that seem interesting. Currently I'm watching Case Closed and before that I also saw YuYu Hakusho and Full Metal Alchemist. After Case Closed, I'm leaning toward DBZ Kai.

I'm pretty sure there was a tv show as well.

There was! I remember watching it on the Disney channel. I also remember that they split up a lot of the standalone movies (the Wonderland one and the Nutcracker one, at least) into separate episodes for the series. I still sort of like that Nutcracker one...I wonder if I could find it somewhere. 'Tis the season, after all. :3

Toonami was my sustenance. And Hamtaro. And Sailor Moon. And Baby Looney Toons in the morning. (I don't know why) Okay, maybe I should just do a list...

So.......

X-men evolution

Jackie Chan adventures

Tom and Jerry

Inuyasha

Yu-Gi-Oh!

Batman

Batman Beyond

Justice League

Tenchi Muyo

Outlaw Star

Cowboy Bebop

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Totally Spies!

The PPG

Ed, Edd n' Eddy

Cow and Chicken

The Grim Adventures of Billy&Mandy

Grim&Evil (before it became that ^)

Looney Toons

Tiny Toons

Blues Clues (prior to Steve leaving, this show made me giggle even when I was 16!)

Hey Arnold

Aladdin

The Lion King (x 9000)

The Land Before Time

The Little Mermaid

Reading Rainbow

The Magic Schoolbus (I'll still watch this show. it's AWESOME.)

Yu Yu Hakusho

Case Closed

FLCL

Dragon Ball

Dragon Ball Z

Dragon Ball GT

POKEMON, of course

Digimon

umm....ummm....GAWSH, so much more. I'm still addicted to cartoons and anime. So.....alot more. ALOTTA LOTTA MORE. Just can't think of anything else...hmm.....I miss Tom from Toonami.