Philosophies

weesh

I have a few.

"Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty. It's not the time that matters, it's the person."

"The way I see it, life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant."

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

“It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish."

"I'm old enough to know that a longer life isn't always a better one. In the end, you just get tired; tired of the struggle, tired of losing everyone that matters to you, tired of watching everything you love turn to dust. If you live long enough, Lazarus, the only certainty left is that you'll end up alone."

"Courage isn't just a matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway."

"As we learn about each other, so we learn about ourselves"

"The universe is big, it's vast and complicated and... ridiculous, and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it."

"As long as I breathe I hope. As long as I breathe I shall fight for the future, that radiant future, in which man, strong and beautiful, will become master of the drifting stream of his history and will direct it towards the boundless horizons of beauty, joy and happiness!"

"As long as I breathe I hope. As long as I breathe I shall fight for the future..."

"Don't do stupid sh**"

And finally, the one that affects me deeply most:

"Those who smile most are those who have experienced the most pain."

"All you need is love."

-The Beatles

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, for whoever believes in him shall never perish, but have everlasting life."

-John 3:16

"Today you can be anything you imagine."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

"There are two kinds of strength. Of the heart, and of your faith."

-Joan D'arc

"I've never been remotely cool. All my life I have been weird, dorky, and nerdy. But you know what? Its fun!"

-Flea

"You snooze, you lose." (story of my life)

Also, about my quotes: Yes, most of them ARE in fact from Doctor Who.

I'd love to put up at least 20 more quotes I live by but, unfortunately, they are from good old George Carlin, and as such contain more expletives than the average human can handle.

I suppose I can add one quote:

"People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point."

Edited by Chapien

"Every action has an equal and opposite reaction"

Yes, a paraphrased Newton's third law, because it applies so much to things besides science, and learning to anticipate reactions is the key to planning actions. To me at least, a plan IS life or at least an important part of it.

"Balance is a funny thing, because it doesn't lead to harmony, it requires harmony. How can you have balance with just order and no chaos? Rather, by coming to terms with the worst in humanity is necessary to embrace the best, but only by maintaining both can we have either."

This one is mine. Its something to live by and strive for. (although I have no idea how other people already realize this. For all I know, I'm stating the obvious. :P )

My purpose in life is as follows:

If I can make just one person smile, laugh, wonder, learn, dream, and even love, then I've done my job in life.

I am happy to say that this purpose has been fulfilled many times over!

"Why do I have to live and follow a religion? Why can't I just live?"

"To the people who call you "weird" or "eccentric", who the buck are they to decide what's what?"

"Maturity isn't defined by ones age, but by what a person is exposed to and how they handle it"

"Heaven and hell only exist within your mind"

(All save for the last are original)

• Like 1

"No man should ever be willing to get down on one knee for a woman if she won't get down on both for him"

Ha! I've got a T-shirt saying much the same as that! XD

• 1 month later...

"You get born, you keep your head down and then you die. If you're lucky."

"You can't expect the universe and its entire contents to be contained within the confines of a small canvas tent."

Both spoken in Bottom by Ade Edmondson.

"Every house and city that is divided against itself cannot stand." - Jesus

“We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are.” - Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

These are some nice sayings.

For my own personal philosophy, I just think it's important for one to seek their own happiness in life and help along with the happiness of their compatriots.

A very interesting thread...

It's only work if someone makes you do it. - Calvin and Hobbes

A life lived for others is a life well lived. - A mix of Albert Einstein and myself.

Without the liberty and freedom to pursue one's own desires, man will never truly be happy. And as long as those desires do not conflict with the rights of another, I will always fight for freedom and liberty; so that man may achieve even his wildest dreams. It is this, that is my dream. - Anonymous

“We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are.” - Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Ah, there is one of Calvin's philosophies that hits not on good philosophy, but on the philosophy you might surmise by observing me:

Hobbes: What is the point of attaching a number to everything you do?

Calvin: If the numbers go up, it means you are having more fun.

It's better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it.

When I want my men to remember something important, to really make it stick, I give it to them double dirty. It may not sound nice to some bunch of little old ladies at an afternoon tea party, but it helps my soldiers to remember. You can't run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn't fight its way out of a piss-soaked paper bag. ... As for the types of comments I make, sometimes I just, By God, get carried away with my own eloquence - General Patton

Don't look conspicuous; it draws fire. For this reason, it is not at all uncommon for aircraft carriers to be known as bomb magnets.

I'm sure I have others I just don't remember. These are the ones I have posted in places so I can find them again 8-)

It's better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I disagree, at least in the general case.

Yes, there are things you should keep, though you are reasonably certain you will never use them, but these are obvious and the exception. I keep a few years of tax records, even though I have never looked at these records again after the first year has passed.

For everything else, your sanity is better served by ridding yourself of the things that have no foreseeable purpose. My friends will tear down a shed, keep nearly every piece of wood and metal, and feel vindicated when a year later, one of the scrap two-by-four pieces is the perfect size for something. Was saving one trip to home depot (which you drive by everyday) and $3 worth having that crap sitting on your property for a year? When you confront such people about why they are keeping a broken chair or duplicates of a book they got for free, there are all kinds of excuses for why it could be useful, or stories that "prove" the wisdom of keeping everything. They are completely ignoring the ten thousand items strewn about the house that will never get a story like that.

Dating is broken.

To find your future spouse, stop trying directly.

Instead, focus on friendships. After getting to know someone for about a year, through work, play, community service, etc, you will be in a good position to know who they are, what they care about, and you will not have unrealistic expectations of them. You may know at this time that marriage is wrong, but you now have a trusted friend for whom things never got awkward.

I'm in the process of developing this one based on books, conversations, and experience (including a breakup that plunged me into depression, and lost me friends). However, I am still thinking about how it works practically and would love to hear some thoughts form you guys.

I know this is from awhile ago, but I agree with it to a point - the best relationships start as friends, because you truly get to know each other instead of trying extra hard to make good impressions (when it starts out as dating instead of friends, etc). Kirby and I were friends for about a year and a half before we ever tried dating, and it doesn't surprise me at all that this was the relationship that turned into marriage :)

What might be a caveat to this though is that some people are afraid to date their friends - the classic "I don't want to ruin our friendship" line. Bull. Your best friend could be the one. If it doesn't work out dating, then there probably was something else bad there; and if you can't remain friends after it, then just how good of friends were you to begin with? You're only losing out by not trying.

• Like 1

"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."

~John Connor; Terminator 2 I may have watched the first two Terminator films last week.

For those who consider my sig quote to contain philosophical value, it comes from a mock German propaganda sequence at the end of a trailer for the WWII game Day of Defeat: Source.