The Hobbit: An Unexpected Adventure Trailer

Legit101

YES! The hobbit was, no joke, the first book I've ever read by myself. I love it, and it still holds up for me to this day.

Looking at the trailer, and all the production vlogs that have been posted over the last year, this looks like a dream come true to me. The have songs, the trolls, the spiders, Rivendell, the woodelves, the dwarves look good. I can't see what could go wrong with it.

I'll say. though, we haven't seen any sign of orcs yet, so I wouldn't be surprised that the scene in the mountains will play out differently. (They can't really remove it, since it's tied to the ring.)

And what is this about romance all of the sudden? At first it was said that Legolas would make a cameo, and have a romantic subplot, now it looks like Galadriel is flirting with Gandalf? Maybe I'm interpreting a 5 second clip to hard, but whatever, I'm all fanboy when it comes to this project.

Since I first heard about the project, I was sceptical. I hope that the Movie would be as fantastic as the book, But I doubt it. I will still go to see it though...

And what is this about romance all of the sudden? At first it was said that Legolas would make a cameo, and have a romantic subplot, now it looks like Galadriel is flirting with Gandalf? Maybe I'm interpreting a 5 second clip to hard, but whatever, I'm all fanboy when it comes to this project.

Ya, I have to agree. I'm not sure how much of an (e/a)ffect this theme would have on the overall feel of the movie.

I may have read the books more times than is strictly necessary. But then again I have at least 12 credits in Medieval literature/heroic quest (yep, I took a college course on the heroic quest.)... Which doesn't sound like a lot if you majored in English or Literature...but was 100% not related to my major in any way shape or form. Mostly every time they brought up Beowulf, they brought the Hobbit up as well.

I am excited about this. And I am super excited about the fact that it is coming out when Ian McKellen is still healthy (He's in his 70s now....and not getting any younger. When they first announced him being cast as Gandalf I freaked out though, because, I mean, have you SEEN him in Hamlet? He's got that running undercurrent of vaguely psychotic...much like I always pictured Gandalf to be.)

Also re; Dwarves singing:

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but as awesome as the trailer looks, I cannot support this movie.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-17350103

That is simply unacceptable. I hope others will join me in the boycott of these movies. Attacking businesses because they chose to name their business after a fantastic novel is disgusting.

I'm sorry, but as awesome as the trailer looks, I cannot support this movie.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...pshire-17350103

That is simply unacceptable. I hope others will join me in the boycott of these movies. Attacking businesses because they chose to name their business after a fantastic novel is disgusting.

I think it's perfectly acceptable. The pub is making money off of something they do not own. They do not own the rights to the Hobbit. And it's not like they just have a clever name, the whole pub is Hobbit themed. From the names of the drinks to the photos on their 'loyality cards'. You either protect your copyright, or you lose it. What I believe is unacceptable is that this tavern has been up for 20 years and they just now are doing something about it. :-|

I think it's perfectly acceptable. The pub is making money off of something they do not own. They do not own the rights to the Hobbit. And it's not like they just have a clever name, the whole pub is Hobbit themed. From the names of the drinks to the photos on their 'loyality cards'. You either protect your copyright, or you lose it. What I believe is unacceptable is that this tavern has been up for 20 years and they just now are doing something about it.

I'm pretty sure the copyrights on the term have expired. The studio bought the name for the purposes of the movie, but that doesn't extend to business names. Though I could be wrong, law was never my forte.

Nope. The copyrights still stand, and besides, it's not Peter Jackson or MGM/WB/New Line that's suing, it's the Saul Zaentz Company. And from what I've heard so far, the company worked out a few things with the pub, and they were permitted to continue to use the name...

Nope. The copyrights still stand, and besides, it's not Peter Jackson or MGM/WB/New Line that's suing, it's the Saul Zaentz Company. And from what I've heard so far, the company worked out a few things with the pub, and they were permitted to continue to use the name...

Ah that is good to hear. Though I really could have sworn the copyrights only last 50 years... But I could be thinking of the wrong media copyright or the wrong application.

Copyright laws are weird. When LOTR came out, there were two sets of rights. For video games for example, there was EA who could only use the rights for the movie versions of LOTR. If it didn't happen in the movies (But happen in the books) they couldn't use it. While another video game company had the rights from the books. If It didn't happen in the books, they couldn't use it. yeek. :-|

Copyright laws are weird. When LOTR came out, there were two sets of rights. For video games for example, there was EA who could only use the rights for the movie versions of LOTR. If it didn't happen in the movies (But happen in the books) they couldn't use it. While another video game company had the rights from the books. If It didn't happen in the books, they couldn't use it. yeek. :-|

This is why I went into science instead of law.... Law is unnecessarily complicated... Well, at least I have no reason to boycott it anymore, and I can see it in theaters like I did the LotR series.