Who wrote this letter?!

weesh

I had a thought today:

Imagine you are Princess Celestia and you are getting the letters from season 2.

You would probably be thinking "awe, what a nice lesson. I wonder who wrote it?"

The following are the reactions I imagine she has:

Luna Eclipsed: Well this was probably TS, but she usually signs hers

Sisterhooves Social: Huh, who has a sister again? Maybe this was from Applejack or Rarity

Cutie Pox: Hmmm... I got nothing.

May the Best Pet Win: The competitive ponies are RD and AJ, and AJ probably already knew this. So this is proabably RD unless I am forgetting someone.

MMDW: WTF? (see the image below. Also unsigned!)

Sweet and Elite: New plan, show up for the lessons whenever possible

Secret of my Excess: This could be anyone!

Family Appreciation Day: (no letter)

Baby Cakes: (no letter) -EDIT- At least one of TS's friends makes it easy to figure out

Hearths Warming Eve: (no letter)

The Last Roundup: Competative pony, so probably AJ or RD. Does RD have any family I don't know about?

Super Speedy Cider Sqeezy: If I knew who wrote this I would be so disappointed in them!

In "Lesson Zero" did she terrify them all into not signing their names?

The question for you guys is: if they were actually signing their letters, what would the salutation sound like? Are they all "your faithful student"?

I came up with this topic while writing a mock letter form AJ, and realizing I had no idea how to end it.

Edit:

I just found the image I was looking for:

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-how-rainbow-dash-wrote-to-princes-celestia.jpg

Pinkie pie did do a letter in "Baby Cakes", just not on-screen. there was a voiceover of her writing it as she cleaned up from the battle with the babies before the Cakes came home. ^_^ That had to be a WTF moment for Celestia "Pinkie pie? Responsibility? Is this the same pony here?"

Pinkie pie did do a letter in "Baby Cakes", just not on-screen. there was a voiceover of her writing it as she cleaned up from the battle with the babies before the Cakes came home. ^_^ That had to be a WTF moment for Celestia "Pinkie pie? Responsibility? Is this the same pony here?"

Oh wow, that letter was earlier than most and I missed it when I was rewatching the ends of the episodes. She didn't sign it, but it was probably one of the most obvious: "..more playtime right? WROOOONNNGGG!"

AJ seems to enjoy saying "your loyal subjects." Probably because AJ represcents the element of loyalty honesty.

I had forgotten that there was a letter at the end of Lesson Zero too. But that is the only time we have heard anyone say that, and they STILL didn't sign it.

And here, I thought the letters just dictated themselves on arrival. Y'know, because this is a land of magic and rainbows and unicorns.

That, or they just get rubber-stamped.

Celestia obviously can tell the letters apart by scent. Applejack is apple-scented, Pinkie smells like frosting, Rainbow smells like um...clouds...Rarity like fancy perfume, Fluttershy like animals (lol), and of course Twi's letter will have lots of glitter on it. Also, Celestia will know her hoof-writing (even though Spike writes all the letters). Mystery solved.

Celestia obviously can tell the letters apart by scent. Applejack is apple-scented, Pinkie smells like frosting, Rainbow smells like um...clouds...Rarity like fancy perfume, Fluttershy like animals (lol), and of course Twi's letter will have lots of glitter on it. Also, Celestia will know her hoof-writing (even though Spike writes all the letters). Mystery solved.

Yes, I'm sure Celestia in all her wisdom can discern writing styles between ponies. She certainly knows how Twi writes, and the others aren't hard to figure out. Rarity would be most formal, Rainbow would be most forward... and so on. Its more the method of dictation than the hoof (or mouth/horn?) writing of the individual ponies. I think Twi signs hers because she is like a grad student writing to her mentor.

Wait wait wait wait wait wait, I got it.

What if Spike just adds on whoever's dictating the letter? Surely that would clear up any confusion and generally make sense for him to do.

Wait wait wait wait wait wait, I got it.

What if Spike just adds on whoever's dictating the letter? Surely that would clear up any confusion and generally make sense for him to do.

Have you seen how fast he sends some of those letters after he finishes taking dictation? I have my doubts that that is standard operation procedure.

Yes, I'm sure Celestia in all her wisdom can discern writing styles between ponies. She certainly knows how Twi writes, and the others aren't hard to figure out. Rarity would be most formal, Rainbow would be most forward... and so on. Its more the method of dictation than the hoof (or mouth/horn?) writing of the individual ponies. I think Twi signs hers because she is like a grad student writing to her mentor.

Yes but it is rude to make someone figure out who you are when you initiate conversation with them. I shouldn't have to figure out who you are by the content of your message, or the sound of your voice and neither should a princess.

Don't they sign it "Your Faithful Subject" or something along those lines?

Either way you never see the letter being sent out without being signed so it probably is signed off-screen

Now my question is why do so many people think that Celestia would take a dim view of Applejack's letter from Super Speedy Cider Squeezy?

True it is a bit different since Applejack didn't learn anything, but having principals that you believe in being confirmed is important too. Not to mention the fact that was willing to accept help from her friends instead of insisting that her family could do it on their own and mentioned that in her letter shows that she's retained her lession from Applebuck Season, it might be a bit of a surprise but it's hardly something to be disappointed in

Either way you never see the letter being sent out without being signed so it probably is signed off-screen

You absolutely see letters getting sent off by spike in some of the episodes and directly following the last words of the speaker. Which ones? I think cutie pox might be one of them, but I cannot check right now.

Now my question is why do so many people think that Celestia would take a dim view of Applejack's letter from Super Speedy Cider Squeezy?

True it is a bit different since Applejack didn't learn anything, but having principals that you believe in being confirmed is important too. Not to mention the fact that was willing to accept help from her friends instead of insisting that her family could do it on their own and mentioned that in her letter shows that she's retained her lesson from Applebuck Season, it might be a bit of a surprise but it's hardly something to be disappointed in

This is a good question. It is funny to think of her getting angry, but completely inaccurate. She probably loves getting the letters no matter what the content is. I overstated the reaction in the first post for the sake of humor, but I do think there would be some disappointment due to the missed opportunity.

This is a good question. It is funny to think of her getting angry, but completely inaccurate. She probably loves getting the letters no matter what the content is. I overstated the reaction in the first post for the sake of humor, but I do think there would be some disappointment due to the missed opportunity.

I think she would be unhappy with the disrespectful tone, but I see it more of her giving an annoyed smirk as she reads the letter. I agree I think she's happy to get all of them, but I think AJ could have been a little more polite to the land's Goddess...

I think she would be unhappy with the disrespectful tone, but I see it more of her giving an annoyed smirk as she reads the letter. I agree I think she's happy to get all of them, but I think AJ could have been a little more polite to the land's Goddess...

You really see this as an issue of disrespect?

What part of her letter was lacking in respect or politeness?

Sure it was prideful, but I see this as AJ writing candidly and honestly to someone she cares about. It sounds direct, and lacks polish, but that what she always sounds like.

Sure it was prideful, but I see this as AJ writing candidly and honestly to someone she cares about. It sounds direct, and lacks polish, but that what she always sounds like.

Applejack? Honest? Oh wait...

I have to agree with you, Weesh. In addition, I don't think there's any shame in knowing what you did was right. The lesson to be learned here is that you should take pride in understanding, which is something AJ demonstrated with her letter -- instead of exploring a lesson through a fault or a negative, it was done through a positive.

I have to agree with you, Weesh.

That must tear you up.

In addition, I don't think there's any shame in knowing what you did was right. The lesson to be learned here is that you should take pride in understanding, which is something AJ demonstrated with her letter -- instead of exploring a lesson through a fault or a negative, it was done through a positive.

For all the passionate pleas I have made against this letter, it has several nice things going for it. I love that she is confidant in writing as herself. Most ponys are quite nervous around Celestia, and this shows a great deal of confidance in her friend. And breaking the mold is refreshing.

That must tear you up.

When you say "tear you up" do you mean tear me up as in happiness we agreed on something, or tear as in it's tearing my soul into shreds because I agreed with something you said?

With either definition: hardly. You have a unique thought process, it's sort of nice to find a middle ground with you once in a while.

Personally, I feel that a certain level of decorum is required when addressing a princess, but then again, Celestia doesn't seem exactly stuck-up. When I think about it your right, I doubt Celestia was upset at all about the letter, as you put it "lacking polish" when you see past the title she really seems like almost any other pony in that regard, a more-or-less "normal" character.

When you say "tear you up" do you mean tear me up as in happiness we agreed on something, or tear as in it's tearing my soul into shreds because I agreed with something you said?

With either definition: hardly. You have a unique thought process, it's sort of nice to find a middle ground with you once in a while.

Wow that was surprisingly ambiguous. I meant it in the "it hurts my soul that I was forced to agree with you" sort of way. And yes, I agree that it is nice to agree with you guys. I am continuously surprised how little we all have in common with each other. I thought that a bunch of adult fans of MLP would be more similar than we are.

Wow that was surprisingly ambiguous. I meant it in the "it hurts my soul that I was forced to agree with you" sort of way. And yes, I agree that it is nice to agree with you guys. I am continuously surprised how little we all have in common with each other. I thought that a bunch of adult fans of MLP would be more similar than we are.

Maybe YOU'RE the one who's different from us! (Actually a legit theory.) :P

I agree with this. (And it's not a bad thing.)

Celestia strikes me as a fair and wise ruler, and thus she doesn't command absolute formalities from her subjects. She'll even question it and make fun of it-- case in point with the Grand Galloping Gala "disaster," and the infamous "gotcha" tea scene. However if you're outwardly disrespectful to her (Discord)...watch out!

To give some further perspective, I think AJ's bluntness is part of her personality. You'd probably never catch Twilight, Fluttershy, or Rarity writing that way to Celestia. Pinkie and Rainbow might -- though with Pinkie it might just be more innocent because she's nuts -- and Celestia knows this.

Hmm, that could explain it from my perspective.

To give some further perspective, I think AJ's bluntness is part of her personality. You'd probably never catch Twilight, Fluttershy, or Rarity writing that way to Celestia. Pinkie and Rainbow might -- though with Pinkie it might just be more innocent because she's nuts -- and Celestia knows this.

We already have a great example of Pinkie writing a letter as casually and in-character as this AJ letter was: Baby cakes. That was classic Pinkie, she was absolutely writing to a friend.