Was that before or after the cut scene where TS expresses her low self esteem by calling Cadence a princes and herself "just a unicorn"? I can see Twilight being uncomfortable around Cadence at first, but growing closer and more familiar with her. And then even calling her a unicorn by accident because she relates so well to her.

It was right after that, but it was present Twilight saying it, not foal Twilight. And it was right before she met changeling Cadence for the first time. Aaand I have a hard time believing that it was an accident. Twilight is usually pretty precise with what she says.

• Like 1

So, if the princesses are unicorns AND pegasus AND earth ponies, is there anything wrong with referring to just one of their parts?

I tend to not think so. Especially if the topic of conversation is addressing the magic of just one of the parts.

The Onion's AV Club just put out a review of the season finale.

"I am a grown-%$% man, and I really enjoy this show about cartoon ponies, which is ostensibly made for 6-year-olds."

http://www.avclub.com/articles/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-royal-wedding,72535/

• Like 1

Ok, now that I've seen the Royal Wedding twice, I feel I can actually comment on it now.

First of all, BRILLIANT writing by the FiM crew on this one. Kept me guessing the entire time and had an ending no one was expecting!

Secondly, if you don't overanalyze it, this episode was fast moving and action packed!

That's all I really have to say about it now.

Everyone else pretty much did all the 'review' work here already.

Let's hope Season 3 can be just as wonderful!

A thought occurred to me... I know we can see the variations of the color of individual pony magic, but can they? Wouldn't it make sense of the magic was invisible and they could only see the effects of the magic lest it was a powerful spell that created feedback (like the wings spell or tone travel spell) or an attack spell (like the magic bolt). Everything else would be invisible and only the effect seen (like a floating object or shining armor's eyes going wonky). That would explain why twilight didn't just say "but her magical color changed from blue to green!" Which would honestly be pretty compelling IMO.

The only downside to this awesome two-parter is that we have to wait all summer for new episodes in September... :-(

This. I'm going to wager that the site's activity level will plummit now, starting in ~2 weeks and by late summer it will barely be active...

Oh and who wants to hedge bets on us NEVER hering about Twilight's BBBFF + Candice ever again? I expect at the MOST we'll get a throw-away line/gag where she gets a post-card or something from them.

A thought occurred to me... I know we can see the variations of the color of individual pony magic, but can they? Wouldn't it make sense of the magic was invisible and they could only see the effects of the magic lest it was a powerful spell that created feedback (like the wings spell or tone travel spell) or an attack spell (like the magic bolt). Everything else would be invisible and only the effect seen (like a floating object or shining armor's eyes going wonky)

Your not the first to suggest this, look back about 3 pages, I said the same thing ;) I suspect this is why the whole "magic color = X's magic" doesn't happen in-universe

Your not the first to suggest this, look back about 3 pages, I said the same thing I suspect this is why the whole "magic color = X's magic" doesn't happen in-universe

You know, that's probably why I didn't see it... I'm on my phone and it's pages to post amount is different. But I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one that noticed that.

I find the invisible magic hard to swallow. Sure, it could go either way technically, but as long as they require it to show us what is going on, it would be deceptive for it to be invisible in fact. I would feel a little betrayed. I have to imagine that at LEAST the unicorns can see it. Or taste it, or sense it or feel it. It would not be hard to imagine that unicorns could recognize the magic of their close friends and family. Otherwise, why give it a different color for each unicorn at all? They could do clear for everyone if they really wanted you to think it was invisible.

• Like 1

The Onion's AV Club just put out a review of the season finale.

"I am a grown-%$% man, and I really enjoy this show about cartoon ponies, which is ostensibly made for 6-year-olds."

http://www.avclub.co...-wedding,72535/

I just read this and honestly, I'm impressed. It skipped over all the 'messy' stuff that involves the bronies and went straight to pointing out the underlieing messages of the series, when in itself defends the bronies without ever saying so. Impressive article, hard to believe it has any ties to The Onion, considering the latter's harsh cycnicsm towards... well... everything... (part of me is hoping this isn't The Onion I'm familiar with...)

I find the invisible magic hard to swallow. Sure, it could go either way technically, but as long as they require it to show us what is going on, it would be deceptive for it to be invisible in fact. I would feel a little betrayed. I have to imagine that at LEAST the unicorns can see it. Or taste it, or sense it or feel it. It would not be hard to imagine that unicorns could recognize the magic of their close friends and family. Otherwise, why give it a different color for each unicorn at all? They could do clear for everyone if they really wanted you to think it was invisible.

I think its so that we, the audience, know the source of the magic. Like with the Tickets in Ticket Master, they were levitating above the ponies in gold, suggesting that it wasn't Twilight's or Rarity's doing but a charm that Celestia cast prior to sending them. Or the exchange of bags in Sweet and Elite. Perhaps they can feel it, or tell by spells or style of spells, but can't actually see the magic lest it has a certain amount power or has a physical manifestation (the barrier). This is all supposition, but it would explain why that point was never brought up in the show. It would also be why Twilight didn't bring it up when accusing Candice of being evil. Again, that would seem to be stronger evidence than wonky eyes.

I just read this and honestly, I'm impressed. It skipped over all the 'messy' stuff that involves the bronies and went straight to pointing out the underlieing messages of the series, when in itself defends the bronies without ever saying so. Impressive article, hard to believe it has any ties to The Onion, considering the latter's harsh cycnicsm towards... well... everything... (part of me is hoping this isn't The Onion I'm familiar with...)

From the article:

Let me offer an alternate explanation: Sincerity is a dying art in our culture. It’s really hard to do a story where, say, the power of love saves everybody’s lives, because that’s the sort of thing that’s just not done anymore. We’re past that. We’re beyond cynical and well into jaded. We stopped believing in the sorts of good, old-fashioned, hyper-earnest values so much of our entertainment used to be based on somewhere in the 1960s and probably even earlier than that. That’s probably good. Love doesn’t really last forever, and you can’t change the world simply by trying to be a good person, and everybody’s going to die, whether we like it or not. Approaching the world with just a touch of jaded cynicism is recommended for all.

But what’s wrong with wanting to believe all of the above things are lies? What’s wrong with telling our kids that there’s nothing more wonderful than the moment when someone says they’ll love you forever, even if that’s an impossibility, given who we are? What’s wrong with telling them that doing good things is something that will have impact far beyond yourself and your immediate friends and neighbors? And what’s wrong with believing in these things just a little bit yourself?

Hmmm. Well done. I find the article charming, and worth the read. Reading your post Ashton, I thought they were going to ignore bronies completely, but instead it was direct and fair. And the last word is pretty funny.

I think its so that we, the audience, know the source of the magic. Like with the Tickets in Ticket Master, they were levitating above the ponies in gold, suggesting that it wasn't Twilight's or Rarity's doing but a charm that Celestia cast prior to sending them. Or the exchange of bags in Sweet and Elite. Perhaps they can feel it, or tell by spells or style of spells, but can't actually see the magic lest it has a certain amount power or has a physical manifestation (the barrier). This is all supposition, but it would explain why that point was never brought up in the show. It would also be why Twilight didn't bring it up when accusing Candice of being evil. Again, that would seem to be stronger evidence than wonky eyes.

And yet, in some cases, we would be a party to information that no one has. If a door opens randomly, we may see who is doing it, but no one in the room does? If it were really impossible to tell who was doing it, than it should also be impossible for us to tell.

I found it to be one of the more flattering articles about Bronies and the show. And while it's owned by the same company that does the Onion, it's not a parody. They have done reviews about the show before, which was also pretty positive. They don't do a weekly review of the show YET, but I heard if they get enough requests, they will! Hint Hint!

hi hi

I think that ponies can see the magic glows but are just so accustomed to it that they don't even bother mentioning it ever. Take for instance the Discord episodes. Nobody seems to notice that the 5 ponies are turning grey, and I think plenty of people were wondering if Twilight was just crazy for not recognizing it or if ponies are color blind. But near the end of the episode, Pinkie Pie goes ahead and mentions how funny it was.

No lie. What Brony didn't when that occurred? I certainly was shocked at that moment...

Yeah. I KNEW they had to get her out of the picture or we would have had a short episode, but I was surprised how they took her out...