So I just rewatched the episode.

Why were the Cutie Mark Crusaders the flower girls?

I actually thought the same thing. I convinced myself that AJ and Rarity talked the Princess into it, and Scootaloo got dragged into it by association.

hi hi

I still have no idea what a picture of lions has to do with parallel evolution. Parallel evolution is the development of the same trait in the same manner after being separated, but lions live in a pretty much ubiquitous environment. (It also works with two separate species in the same environment, but lions are just one species.) Was there actually a different species that evolved convergently to look like lions?

I think Changelings and Ponies would have to be an example of convergent evolution. They only appear to be similar on a superficial level, their wings are made out of different materials, they have different metabolic requirements. I mean just their wings alone would have had to change from a vertebrate to an invertebrate design, which in our world anyway, don't have a common evolutionary origin.

hi hi

I still have no idea what a picture of lions has to do with parallel evolution. Parallel evolution is the development of the same trait in the same manner after being separated, but lions live in a pretty much ubiquitous environment. (It also works with two separate species in the same environment, but lions are just one species.) Was there actually a different species that evolved convergently to look like lions?

I think Changelings and Ponies would have to be an example of convergent evolution. They only appear to be similar on a superficial level, their wings are made out of different materials, they have different metabolic requirements. I mean just their wings alone would have had to change from a vertebrate to an invertebrate design, which in our world anyway, don't have a common evolutionary origin.

-Wonders how he confused parallel and convergent evolution- I think midterms fried my brain... Oh well... But yes... That was the other idea for the existence of changelings.

Now, I don't have the time to go back and check, but there is something that I do not recall anyone bringing up yet.

Cadence has an amazing name.

Firstly, "Mi Amore" means "My Love"

That was the part that I knew. I had to look up "Cadenza" and "Cadence". Which brings shame to me, because after looking them up, I realized that my guitar teacher taught me the meaning of "cadence" not two weeks ago.

They are musical terms related by etymology.

A cadence is the end of a musical phrase. It could signal the end of a song, or leave the listener hanging, and ready for the song to continue.

Cadanza is harder. I don't have much music in my background, and the wikipedia article causes my eyes to glaze over. But it seems to be a musical flourish by a single musician.

Wonder if this is the first episode where actual pony age is mentioned. Now I wonder if they age like humans... :-|

Wow! I completely forgot about that line! it wouldn't surprise me if that was not the first time, but I can't recall any others.

Someone posted this in a Brony group on Facebook:

Wanna know why Chrysalis insisted on being called "Princess Mi Amore Cadenza?"

It's quite clever actually. "Mi Amore Cadenza" is actually Italian for "My love Cadance" or "I love Cadance". So every time someone said her name, they were saying they loved Cadance. So, because Chrysalis is able to feed off of love, she gets more powerful every time someone simply says her name.

• Like 1

Here we go! Finally got around to watching the episode (about 24hrs ago, actually)

00:05 picnic; also, rarity’s hat. Awesome.

00:13 Spike has weird knees, that cake looks good.

00:26 not again. This is like dog and pony show.

00:35 Twi, you are as bad as dashie: read in your head.

00:47 Spike, wtf, why so serious?

01:06 seriously? This is not starting well, I wonder what dashie is going to be in charge of… Something to do with meeting the wonderbolts…

01:14 or not. Poor dashie.

01:58 seriously spike… seriously?

02:52 well, you have never mentioned your brother before, so you don’t seem to have that good of a relationship with him. Also, why is canterlot in a bubble?

02:55 that sandwich is scary. Also, twilight is really, really good at voices

03:05 that is what we are thinking, twilight. Possible from another country?

03:14 wait, what? You have gone quite a long time without mentioning him, and seemed not to tell anypony you were moving town.

03:15 seriously twilight?

03:30 song time! Yay!

03:35 tone change much?!?!

03:41 twilight just walks away from her friends and sings… as you do.

03:48 so much dawww

03:55 rape face pony!

04:01 holy mother of faust, that is scary. Quite a short loop…

04:24 I guess this makes… some sense…

04:31 yeah, great way to keep the mood guys.

04:35 I can only see unicorns hitting a ball with their heads ending badly. POP!

04:55 nice camera work

05:08 oh god, the puns. I hope this does not continue for the sake of my sanity.

05:32 nice twilight.

05:36 did pinkie just say she wants to try on dresses?!?

05:54 what the hell? I am so confused.

05:57 … … … I guess being raised by a bunch of fillies would not be great for that type of stuff. Inb4 spike doing it wrong.

06:54 case in point

07:10 spying ‘tia. Perhaps it is Luna’s telescope.

07:25 twily? Okay then.

07:51 oh, terrorists. Or something.

07:55 “additional protection” Is that code for something?

08:19 well there goes the theory of multiple unicorns working together magically. Or just stupid captain of the guards.

09:48 oh god that is creepy.

09:57 broke ponies are sad.

10:10 mind control more like

10:16 self reference. Looks like my English teacher was right, it does help.

10:17 yeah, she is going to jump into something

10:25 I think she grew up twi

10:40 yeah, something is up with that pony. Either grown up or she is evil.

10:45 I think she is evil.

10:52 yeah, evil pony is evil.

11:05 wait… the ladder was resting against the cake. Whaaa?

11:11 pouty pony is adorable.

11:18 scratch that last comment, THAT is adorable.

11:22 what?

11:24 Spike is everypony who ships ponies (flame shields engaged).

11:40 over the top. If she is not evil. Or perhaps they are taking the route of “ohmygod I am so stressed!”

11:54 AJ, why you so awesome. Oblivious, making the pony who I am convinced is evil feel bad, fluttershy’s squee…

12:02 yeah, evil. Also, AJ, HOW YOU KNOW?!?

12:23 Lyra, Colgate, why you there?

13:05 Twi, leave the pun-names up to spike.

13:19 moar polka!

13:31 adorable oblivious pinkie is adorable

13:34 yay for luna. Why do I get the feeling this is the only time we will see her?

13:56 Oh, so that is where he got them from…

14:21 Methinks this episode will follow the ‘I’m soooo stressed’ route

14:40 no pinkie notices nothing.

15:11 I did not think of that AJ, there is a point. But Twilight seemed fine with it in the few seconds before the princess turned up.

15:22 that pony is strong.

15:35 NO. Twilie is not a good nickname!

15:50 Twi, Don’t you mean ponies?

16:15 twilight leave! When you are found, no-pony will take you seriously!

16:25 called it!

16:35 somepony who agrees with me!

16:57 whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

17:16 no, why you kill lyra and colgate!

17:27 how are you moving that dashie?

17:36 to Luna!

17:59 teleporting mane 6 ftw!

18:08 spike, stop with the shipping!

18:15 yeah, nopony is going to believe you. Be really quite. Tell Luna or Celestia when nopony is around to keep an eye on the bride.

18:36 shutup applejack, here is your hat

18:37 no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no

19:18 bad. Very not good. Now nopony will listen to you, great job twilight.

19:59 uh, dude that was why twilight was reacting so much!

20:16 I still think she is evil.

20:45 great, depressing song.

20:49 wow, that looks great!

21:11 methinks still evil.

21:20 WHY YOU NO TELPORT?

21:28 great, she is demon-spawn

21:30 CALLED IT!

Now for part 2!

00:42, her wings are pretty. The change in colour is nice. The rest of her... not so much.

01:25 how long do we have to wait to get any new video?

01:45 Finally!

01:54 yeah, methinks find others who were ‘missing’. Speaking Lyra? That would be awesome.

02:00 mirror! But… different… and hair overlaps!

02:04 oh, crystal

02:18 why you no teleport? Dragon quest you did it! Perhaps the crystals block magic or something…

02:42 Celestia/Luna rescue? Also, twilight, you didn’t figure that out?

02:57 or bouncy magic crystals…

03:26 oh, yay. Nice pony! Do the dance thingy as a check…?

03:39 yay, fluttershy has taught the ponies well!

03:44 dawwww so cute!

03:58 twilight, why you sit on rocks?

04:16 Can’t decide if evil pony singing is good or not… We don’t even have a motive at this stage!

04:37 oh, duet. Shifts are intresting…

05:07 and the reveal is that she… wants power?

05:47 so, in the caves under canterlot… you go down?

05:57 SO MUCH DAWWW. The CMC as flower girls!

06:11 Why though? Why you want?

06:41 oh gawd, zombie lyra…

06:59 hahaha, rarity facehoof. I think Twi Is a fake.

07:30 best way to get rid of bridesmaids ever! Also, apparently twilight is real!

08:05 the only way that could have been more scary was if she had pure white eyes. Also, changeling… aren’t they just shape-shifters?

08:15 more love… yay?

08:23 why does she remind me of trixie’s voice?

08:30 already inside?

08:35 or that…

08:44 Unicorn guards. WHY YOU NO NUKE?!?

09:04 hahahahahaha, Being married is being under total control!

09:15 screw the guards, where are Celestia and Luna?!?

09:25 about bucking time! And if Luna is one of those things… so angry!

09:28 WHERE IS LUNA!?!

09:51 Luna…? Where are you? Guards… where are you?

09:57 weird animation, but wow…

10:16 great, only Celestia can open the bucking tower. I feel a fetch quest coming on! With Luna, I hope…

10:24 yes it was obvious, But still funny.

10:40 that is horrifying. Also, why is the shield like glass/plastic? I thought it would be like goo…

10:47 AJ, this is because you don’t have your hat!

11:00 bucking artillery shells. Also, why am I reminded of the bit in the Matrix with the squid thingies…?

11:12 and… luna? Please? Wake up!

11:19 that is so adorable!

11:22 oh my heart! So cute!

11:24 then… punch…? Uh, wouldn’t kicking be better?

11:28 oh, crap. Memories I think are the key here…

11:52 uh… panic?

11:57 assertive fluttershy!

12:01 then, run!

12:03 growling dashie… creepy!

12:16 yeah, AJ is right. This makes no sense!

12:35 Pinkie seems to be having fun

12:43 … first, how apart from mirrors? Second, perhaps there are multiple pinkies!

13:07 methinks one of them is wrong one.

13:15 And now, Luna? Please? They sound like giant blowflies…

14:12 Right, I’ve given up on Luna. Deep sleeper? Perhaps It’s the whole “actual element things aren’t needed”

14:20 now the holey zombie princess is singing?!? Okay then…

14:47 that was quick. Also, twi is glue remover!

15:26 Dr whooves is having fun…

15:40 oh mother of god, seriously?

15:53 yay for static!

16:08 they are flying, therefore it works. Now what do we do for the last 6ish min?

16:30 episode, I am disappoint. Seriously? They are going to be beaten by love-laser?

16:37 well, there is a new part of the world that we see, deadland of death and dead things.

16:39 hahaha, team rocket!

16:51 ‘Tia, you were put in a gestation pod thing… you are not fine.

16:57 oh, so this is what we are doing for the last bit… oh, okay…

17:26 Cannot unsee twi with a lampshade on her head

17:39 dawww, again… It would have been good to have a bit of time where the… shape shifter things actually did break up friendships and such. The CMC fighting would have been so sad, but quite interesting,

17:50 slave labour for birds. Also, underped Derpy.

17:59 hahahaha, yeah subtle twilight.

18:18 AJ and her hat… I think Rarity is going to ‘remove’ it. Also, shifty eyes AJ with the hat is awesome.

18:26 “now, are you sure you’re not an evil queen of death?”

18:37 Why you no fix that up beforehand?

18:41 “and shining armour.” Neither of you will be mentioned or seen again.

18:57 mare and colt? Shouldn’t it be mare and stallion?

19:48 no, ponies were not ever, EVER meant to dance. Awkwardly step back and forth.

19:52 FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF—NOW you turn up… after you could have saved the world. Also, you seem to have a different voice actor… or I am just crazy.

20:01 I like to think vinyl scratch was sitting there the entire time. Perhaps the changelings became boom boxes or something…

20:06 good throw pinkie… Also, slight change of pace, eh?

20:08 vinyl scratch took off her glasses! Pinkie-purple I think… Also, why one earth is TWILIGHT singing?

20:21 rocking Luna! The Difference between her and Celestia in dancing is hilarious!

20:28 yay, photo time! Pinkie dose have a problem!

20:32 that is so, so cute.

20:33 good to see Rarity is still friends with fancy pants.

21:03 wow, rarity really wanted those flowers…

21:07 Like the horse shoes on the cart

Not bad... I did not think they were amazing, but they were quite good.

So I just rewatched the episode.

Why were the Cutie Mark Crusaders the flower girls?

I don't know why they wouldn't. And Scootaloo seemed to be into the whole thing. She's a tomboy, but not as much as RD.

I still have no idea what a picture of lions has to do with parallel evolution.

You would have to watch the joke of a Direct-to-video movie "The Lion King 2" (and as much as I love the franchise, I think they could have done a lot better... though they could have done a lot worse too, there were good bits, good songs... and bad bits and bad songs...) Tales is referring to the 2 sets of lions the "good" lions (who unite under Simba) and the "bad" lions (who unite under Scar's Mate who's name I forgot, I want to say it started with a Z though...) They are all lions, but the "bad" lions are darker colors, eat termites as their main food, and are overall different in appearance/nature than the "good" lions.

If that's not what she meant... then I'm clueless *awkward grin*

You would have to watch the joke of a Direct-to-video movie "The Lion King 2" (and as much as I love the franchise, I think they could have done a lot better... though they could have done a lot worse too, there were good bits, good songs... and bad bits and bad songs...) Tales is referring to the 2 sets of lions the "good" lions (who unite under Simba) and the "bad" lions (who unite under Scar's Mate who's name I forgot, I want to say it started with a Z though...) They are all lions, but the "bad" lions are darker colors, eat termites as their main food, and are overall different in appearance/nature than the "good" lions.

More or less. :blush:

Also, her name was Zira.

Perphars Cadence is an error too...

Now, after rewatching the episodes I must regret on my former qualification of Luna as a "jerk", her formerly offensive line resulted in just an advice towars Twi to stay indoors (considering the Canterlot menace) just Luna's voice is threatening sometimes...

Luna, faith on you restored, sorry dearie.

I only have one complaint (and its a doozy I guess) and a lot of you probably won't agree with me on this one. At least, that's what past experience suggests.

Cadence's love magic was seriously disturbing to me. Season 2 has had 4 episodes now involving mind magic, but this is the first time that it has been portrayed as something good. Some people might wonder, "well love is a good thing, so how can creating love be bad?"

If you've never had anyone try to slip something into your drink, never wondered why you're not feeling right in the head, wondered what could possibly be wrong with you, then perhaps it would be difficult to know how distressing that is. If you've never felt the sense of betrayal and powerlessness when you finally figure out that someone you thought was your friend took something away from you and you didn't even realize it, didn't have any way to even try to stop it, then maybe its hard to really comprehend that you don't have to directly inflict physical pain in order for it to hurt. Making someone feel ok when they ought not to is sometimes even worse. I guess free will is something that is pretty easy to take for granted if you've never really been without.

"...There are some places in this world that aren't made out of stone. That there's something inside that they can't get to, that they can't touch. That's yours."

Actually I would see it more as a one step marrage/couple counselor. There are times stress and other outside varibles would act as a fuse that starts arguments with the one your with... for some this could easily get way out of hand cause unnecessary hurt and conflict. Cadance can have others stop fighting and remember why they like each other. You see for many it is possible for two to fight and afterwards not remember why they were fighting. To be able to push these negative feelings away, to 'clear' the mind so to speak, would allow a couple to see each other as they normally would... someone they love and care about.

That is how I look at it, and it is actually very different from someone drugging you or forcing you to do what you don't want to or wouldn't do normally. I admit, in the wrong hands (hooves) being able to stop conflict could be easily abused and used to manipulate other but like many things it matter way and how it is used. I would see it much like your having a very bad day and turn on a relaxation CD... instead of let say going to the bar and drinking. Boths of these can be used to calm someone that is upset but one is positive and the other negative.

I'm worried though, the suggestion you gave... has someone actually done that to you, what you said?

I only have one complaint (and its a doozy I guess) and a lot of you probably won't agree with me on this one. At least, that's what past experience suggests.

Cadence's love magic was seriously disturbing to me. Season 2 has had 4 episodes now involving mind magic, but this is the first time that it has been portrayed as something good. Some people might wonder, "well love is a good thing, so how can creating love be bad?"

If you've never had anyone try to slip something into your drink, never wondered why you're not feeling right in the head, wondered what could possibly be wrong with you, then perhaps it would be difficult to know how distressing that is. If you've never felt the sense of betrayal and powerlessness when you finally figure out that someone you thought was your friend took something away from you and you didn't even realize it, didn't have any way to even try to stop it, then maybe its hard to really comprehend that you don't have to directly inflict physical pain in order for it to hurt. Making someone feel ok when they ought not to is sometimes even worse. I guess free will is something that is pretty easy to take for granted if you've never really been without.

"...There are some places in this world that aren't made out of stone. That there's something inside that they can't get to, that they can't touch. That's yours."

Actually I would see it more as a one step marrage/couple counselor. There are times stress and other outside varibles would act as a fuse that starts arguments with the one your with... for some this could easily get way out of hand cause unnecessary hurt and conflict. Cadance can have other stop fighting and remember why they like each other. You see for many it is possible for two to fight and afterwards not remember why they were fighting. To be able to push these negative feelings away, to 'clear' the mind so to speak, would allow a couple to see each other as they normally would... someone they love and care about.

This statement reminded me of Giselle in the movie Enchanted. Throughout the movie, we meet this couple that is going through a divorce. Giselle meets the woman in the waiting room, and without knowing the situation, compliments her hair and says, "The man who holds your heart is a lucky fellow indeed." Then the husband shows up, and Giselle points out how lovely the woman's eyes are says how lucky they are. Then she finds out they're going through a divorce, which makes her cry since she comes from a fairy tale land where there are always happily ever afters.

Basically, Giselle accidentally rekindled their love by pointing out what had made them fall in love in the first place.

hi hi

This is something I've thought about a lot over the years, and I guess I could see some ways the spell would be alright, but not as shown. As a marriage counselor that would make sense, but in the context of the show, she did not have their permission to go messing around in their heads. If they had asked her to help them resolve their quarrel, that might have been just fine, but she went and enforced her priorities on them without consent.

It doesn't really matter if you think someone's squabbles are trivial, they need to agree that the problems are trivial. By "putting things in perspective," Cadence is essentially forcing them to reject their current, naturally achieved perspective and replacing it with another. There was no deliberation, there was no acknowledgment that their argument was a mistake, no natural resolution of their dispute, they just instantly changed topics to something completely different.

She didn't change the circumstances surrounding their argument. She didn't put money in the stallion's bank account and she didn't alter time so that the mare's friends were already spending time with her getting their hooves done.

They were arguing about it, so it already had at least some legitimacy, and while it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, finances are historically the #1 reason for divorce, so its not a stretch to say that there were legitimate concerns. Rather than resolve the conflict, they just ignored the problem and started talking about some "thing" that the stallion supposedly did that was cute. But what is he going to have to go without in order to pay for the spa treatment? And conversely, is the mare going to have to neglect her friendships if she concedes the argument? Suppose she works with her hooves a lot and gets laminitis because she didn't get proper hoof care?

To frame this in another perspective, suppose you're a pony and you love Equestria, but are upset by something the royalty is doing. Maybe they're treating some group of ponies unfairly, maybe they're bullying a neighboring country. Suppose you go to try to argue your case, but someone else says "hey, I don't mind any of those things they're complaining about, that pony is just a malcontent. They need to remember that they love Equestria." and zap, they forget all about their "trivial" concerns and go back to being hap-hap-happy.

Everyone has something that they cannot do on their own, and everyone has something that no one else can do for them. You cannot live someone else's life for them. You can point out to someone a truth, but you can't bypass their own judgment and make them agree with you. They have to want to change. Maybe people would be happier if they didn't have to think for themselves and let the people in charge do everything for them, but I wouldn't want to live in that brave new world.

If you don't have control of your own thoughts, then you really don't have control over anything.

(As for the suggestion: If you are referring to what I think you are, then yes, that has happened to me in the past. And I do apologize if my comments seem terse, but this is a frustrating topic for me, and usually everyone tends to imply that it is the fault of the person who is unhappy for not being happier. That stings me really close to home.)