I watched it frame-by-frame.

Fluttershy slightly puckers her lips BEFORE Dash goes to help her up, but not in a way that would suggest she's about to kiss.

Dash's mouth never makes a kissing motion whatsoever.

As a result, the sound is out of place. It could be a stray sound, or someone threw it in for personal purposes. Either way, it wasn't kiss.

Sssssssssh stop messing up my new OTP :P

• Like 1

So that's the debate of the night? New villain, about 7562846876521428636 fandom nods, one of the development staff has her OC included, new characters/species/canon and the kiss is the debate du jour?

Anyway, it came to me as a little "I'm glad you're safe" nuzzle -- nothing else really.

• Like 1

So that's the debate of the night? New villain, about 7562846876521428636 fandom nods, one of the development staff has her OC included, new characters/species/canon and the kiss is the debate du jour? Anyway, it came to me as a little "I'm glad you're safe" nuzzle -- nothing else really.

Shipping is that serious. :lol:

Whitehawke's totally right though. I watched it and there's no indication of a kiss in the animation.

(and even if there was I'd refuse to acknowledge it as meaning anything...)

So that's the debate of the night? New villain, about 7562846876521428636 fandom nods, one of the development staff has her OC included, new characters/species/canon and the kiss is the debate du jour?

Anyway, it came to me as a little "I'm glad you're safe" nuzzle -- nothing else really.

Thats how I saw it.

Does the whole changeling species being alicorns(ish) mean that there are more than 3, and that they're not all powerful?

And I dont think that the changelings are a hivemind, with chrysalis being the only intelligence, being that one of them responded to pinkie's request with exasperation. That indicates some individuality amongst them.

The motion of rd "kissing" fs is in a frame somewhere between 1:27 and 1:28 in this video, but I cant stop it on the frame exactly.

Does the whole changeling species being alicorns(ish) mean that there are more than 3, and that they're not all powerful?

And I dont think that the changelings are a hivemind, with chrysalis being the only intelligence, being that one of them responded to pinkie's request with exasperation. That indicates some individuality amongst them.

Ah, I see. Guess there may be some signs of intelligence in there, even if they didn't ever speak.

I still need to re-watch the episode. :blush:

OK! Theory time!

The changlings don't seem to be a pony species per say, but share common traits. This would suggest evolutionary divergence. They are of the same genus but not of the same species.

This would also suggest that traits were once uniform, and Alicorns are actually the oldest pony species of special type. They might have been only female, and thus bred with regular ponies, emparting magical abilities on them, as well as individual traits. Thus allowing for the three pony types to be created. This also allows for recessed genes, which would explain the cake's kids. If Alicorn's are the common ancestor then the possibility of latent genes becomes more likely, especially when magic is involved.

The changlings diverged due to a genetic mutation. Possibly one of changing gender or a genetic anomaly that allowed inbreeding. thus the original traits were preserved.

EDIT: Yes, I'm fully aware I'm probably reading FAR too into this.

• Like 1

OK! Theory time!

The changlings don't seem to be a pony species per say, but share common traits. This would suggest evolutionary divergence. They are of the same genus but not of the same species.

This would also suggest that traits were once uniform, and Alicorns are actually the oldest pony species of special type. They might have been only female, and thus bred with regular ponies, emparting magical abilities on them, as well as individual traits. Thus allowing for the three pony types to be created. This also allows for recessed genes, which would explain the cake's kids. If Alicorn's are the common ancestor then the possibility of latent genes becomes more likely, especially when magic is involved.

The changlings diverged due to a genetic mutation. Possibly one of changing gender or a genetic anomaly that allowed inbreeding. thus the original traits were preserved.

mlfw4390-PPyxv.gif

• Like 1

OK! Theory time!

The changelings might also be a predator species that evolved alongside the ponies, and their similar shape could just make it easier to mimic them/blend into their society.

• Like 1

The changelings might also be a predator species that evolved alongside the ponies, and their similar shape could just make it easier to mimic them/blend into their society.

Parallel evolution eh? Interesting... Similar traits but different environment caused for a change in purpose... One is predatory while the other is not... Interesting, I like it! I do still think that it is likely that the Alicorn's were the original and breeding caused the 3 pony types to be created. Meaning that though rare, it is possible for alicorns to be born. I'd say it was most likely from unicorn and pegasus.

Also, I'm not sure if divergence or parallel evolution can be determined either in terms of the true cause.

What an awesome episode! We got zombie ponies! We got ponies making war! We got some rather sickly shapeshifters. We got Celdestia in a cocoon getting her life force sucked out. Kind bummed we didn't get a "Huh? You have a brother?", line considering Twilight never spoke of such a pony, and the love conquers all bit was a little cheesy, but A+++ episode. Just wonder how long poor Cadance was down in her prison as she looked rather rough. And poor Spike never got his bachelor party! Poor kid! :(

Parallel evolution eh? Interesting... Similar traits but different environment caused for a change in purpose... One is predatory while the other is not... Interesting, I like it! I do still think that it is likely that the Alicorn's were the original and breeding caused the 3 pony types to be created. Meaning that though rare, it is possible for alicorns to be born. I'd say it was most likely from unicorn and pegasus.

Could they have evolved alongside the original alicorn tribes, then somehow been blocked access from them for a few millenia, so the three tribes evolved seperately from each other while the changelings retained the traits of their original targets? Also, is there any relation between windigos and changelings? They both feed off pony emotions.

If alicorns have control of spheres of magic, hence tia(sun), luna(moon), cadence(love), could the changelings be a sort of corrupted alicorn species that once had magic over love, but grew dark and twisted, and ended up absorbing and feeding off it instead?

Gah, these changelings raise so many questions! :-|

• Like 1

Changelings are from mythology as well. They are what become of what faeries leave over when they kidnap the young or innocent, I believe.

So Changlings are corrupted Alicorns...? Which means there is a possibility of even further Alicorns... MLP! WHY YOU MAKE US THINK SO?

• Like 1

Changelings are from mythology as well. They are what become of what faeries leave over when they kidnap the young or innocent, I believe.

according to wikipedia, changelings are the offspring of a troll, elf, fairy, etc that is left in the place of a human infant, for various reasons depending on the culture.

Opened iron scissors in the infant's resting area was thought to ward off the fairies/trolls/etc.

So Changlings are corrupted Alicorns...? Which means there is a possibility of even further Alicorns... MLP! WHY YOU MAKE US THINK SO?

Because they be trollin'.

Edited by DrMaxwell

A litlte something from Wikipedia...

"The reality behind many changeling legends was often the birth of deformed or developmentally disabled children. Among the diseases with symptoms that match the description of changelings in various legends are spina bifida, cystic fibrosis, PKU, progeria, Down syndrome, homocystinuria, Williams syndrome, Hurler syndrome, Hunter syndrome, regressive autism, Prader-Willi Syndrome, and cerebral palsy. The greater proneness of boys to birth defect correlates to the belief that boy babies were more likely to be taken.

As noted, it has been hypothesized that the changeling legend may have developed, or at least been used, to explain the peculiarities of children who did not develop normally, probably including all sorts of developmental delays and abnormalities. In particular, it has been suggested that children with autism would be likely to be labeled as changelings or elf-children due to their strange, sometimes inexplicable behavior. This has found a place in autistic culture. Some autistic adults have come to identify with changelings (or other replacements, such as aliens) for this reason and their own feeling of being in a world where they do not belong and of practically not being the same species as the other people around them."

• Like 1

My other favoite is that this episiode had the most songs than any previos one. Three songs. i personally like the last song, but all were nice.

according to wikipedia, changelings are the offspring of a troll, elf, fairy, etc that is left in the place of a human infant, for various reasons depending on the culture.

Opened iron scissors in the infant's resting area was thought to ward off the fairies/trolls/etc.

Eh, close enough. Still Humans - Changelings - Alicorns - Regular Ponies.