Parent trouble

a23223

I think my parents are having a bit of trouble accepting my newfound bronyness. They won't say it, but I can see it in their eyes, and I've tried to show them the show, but they refuse to have any of it. When my dad catches me watching it he calls it the 'Pony show" Anypony have any advice?

My father also thought Skyrim was a MLP game.

I was going to post something, but after reading this my brain crashed.

Oh yeah, my dad just learned about it and (I guess) decided to ignore it. My mom and I argued about it at first, but my sister's intervention settled that.

Your parents just need to see a video about how awesome ponies are.

Or read Fallout: Equestria.

The latter would probably help quite a lot, but it may damage them.

My mom just gives me a little light hearted ribbing, nothing that I am not used to already. My dad doesn't really care one way or the other. So I guess just have patience and keep on as you are and they'll see that it's a part of your identity and accept it.

hi hi

Its rough when people don't want to listen to what you have to say, but I guess sometimes you just have to weather the storm until they realize their mistake on their own.

Not that I think this will solve your problems like some kind of silver bullet, but I did just recently read an article that covers a lot of the concerns that parents/adults have about pony fans and bronies in particular. (Be warned it does address topics that make parents/adults concerned)

In Defense of Bronies - by Rebecca Angel

Man that sucks, but they need to suck it up. What have you done wrong? Like a harmless TV show?

You are still you, and eventually they'll realize that. If you've had a good relationship with them before becoming a brony, it should stay afterwards.

just try to make peace with them and say you won't let this get in the way of whatever they're worried about

or maybe they're just putting the wrong 2 and 2 together and think that rainbow dash represents a gay fandom for the show...

if thats the case, then i know that feel bro... just act manly if thats the reason

You said that they have trouble accepting it? Like how? From what you wrote they don't seem to be trying to hamper you in any way, and your dad calling it "That Pony Show" is actually quite accurate, esspecially for someone who doesn't know the show. Now if they don't want to watch it, it is a choice they made, but at the same time they seem to be tolarating it. That might be all you get, you don't need to turn them into Die-hard Bronies, and they haven't made any move to throw you out of the house, like some of the extream cases. So in summary, if they don't try and stop you, you shouldn't have to convince them how fantastic it is.

Note: If this was harsh, unfair or mean in any way, I did not know and would appreciate if you told me...

Honestly It's not that big a deal, it doesn't have to consume you and you should respect your parents lack of interest and not try to push the show on them, don't try to hide your interests but don't go out of your way to flaunt it either . Either way even if your parents wont support you just know /we/ will, that's what a community does after all

Honestly It's not that big a deal, it doesn't have to consume you and you should respect your parents lack of interest and not try to push the show on them, don't try to hide your interests but don't go out of your way to flaunt it either . Either way even if your parents wont support you just know /we/ will, that's what a community does after all

Ahmen. An old saying comes to mind "The people that mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind"

My guess is that the OP is male and since the franchise is "for little girls" that they're making the assumption he's gay (which is what I'm facing with my homophobic mother)

Honestly you only have 2 choices:

1. just live with it and hope they come to accept it, doing what you can do *gently* nudge them and explain it to them (depending on your dedication to the show, this could be your only option)

or

2. start hiding it and if they ask just tell them you kinda lost interest, so they think it was a short-lived phase (of course this isn't easy and will only bring their wrath twice as hard if they discover you've been hiding it --- though it can become an ace for you because you can say "well you guys were so upset that I didnt want to cause you all that hurt, so I hid it away" which could make them feel guilty) Overall this tends to be the only way to deal with a lot of these things, but it depends on your level of privacy and wheather you can successfully keep it a secret untill you either (a) really do lose interest (such as when the series ends) or (b) move out.

My guess is that the OP is male and since the franchise is "for little girls" that they're making the assumption he's gay (which is what I'm facing with my homophobic mother)

Honestly you only have 2 choices:

1. just live with it and hope they come to accept it, doing what you can do *gently* nudge them and explain it to them (depending on your dedication to the show, this could be your only option)

or

2. start hiding it and if they ask just tell them you kinda lost interest, so they think it was a short-lived phase (of course this isn't easy and will only bring their wrath twice as hard if they discover you've been hiding it --- though it can become an ace for you because you can say "well you guys were so upset that I didnt want to cause you all that hurt, so I hid it away" which could make them feel guilty) Overall this tends to be the only way to deal with a lot of these things, but it depends on your level of privacy and wheather you can successfully keep it a secret untill you either (a) really do lose interest (such as when the series ends) or (b) move out.

Option number 2 is a horrible, horrible, horrible option. Option 1 is okay.

The real answer since the OP's parents aren't throwing hissy fits and generally causing all sorts of heck?

Move on. Maybe gently nudge them once in a while but if they don't, they don't. Unless they directly try to interfere with your ability to express yourself, there is no reason to be even the slightest perturbed, a2322.

Option number 2 is a horrible, horrible, horrible option. Option 1 is okay.

Oh gawd I hate people with the horseapple philosophy of "This is me, accept it or up yours!" there are very few situations where that works, and propagating that philosophy only hurts people. Imagine going to a store and insisting you pay in walnuts, do you think they'll sell you anything? Imagine going to a formal restaurant in nothing but your underwear, do you think they'll let you eat?

The world is about conformity, if you cant conform then you hide it and pretend to conform, this way everything works out nicely. Yes, it's miserable but it's LESS miserable than fighting everyone about it.

And also you cant say what options a person has untill you know their whole situation, the OP might have the same problem I do "If you turn gay I'm through you out of the house and the FAMILY!" and this having been since I was 13 (and a LOT of strings kept tied to anything and everything so if I do try and leave on my own I get screwed over) so the best option is anything that my mother doesn't like is hidden away. This works for me, and may be the only option for the OP, don't cast judgement until you know the situation.

EDIT:

and I apologize for how angry this sounds, this is a major hotbutton issue for me...

Having been in the furry fandom, this kind of thing is brought up there too. A lot of younger people ask questions like this, and questions like "How do I tell my family I'm a furry / brony / whatever?" The real question is, why do you think they need to know?

So, you like a TV show. So it happens to be about cartoon ponies. So what? Its no one's business what TV shows you watch, or what you're looking at on the internet. If they ask about it, you tell them "It's a TV show I like, and there's a lot of stuff online about it." If they ask about you wearing pony shirts or something, you tell them "It's a TV show I like, and I have friends that like it too." You don't have to get in-depth if you think that they might not like it themselves.

If you think they'd like the show too, by all means show them a couple episodes. I'm a father. I showed my son the show and he loves it now. He in turn showed his mom, who now likes the show. If you've got parents or family members that you think won't like the show, then don't talk about it. If they ask, yes, answer them, but only enough that they are satisfied that you're not in some pony cult or something.

Being a brony is not a big deal. You like a TV show, you like talking about that show with friends. That's all it is.

Hate is a strong word, dAshie! I think there's a huge difference in the tonality of standing up for yourself, and what you believe. There's also a big difference in how you choose to present yourself to someone who discovers you like something that might seem weird in their pre-programmed mindset. This is why I think that people that face difficulties with pony and family should keep a "business as usual" mindset and avoid offering too much information outside of the facts. This is especially true if you have self-esteem challenges. As I've said before, FiM is curiously osmotic, and if your family sees you are positive about something, they might get interested enough to learn more about it.

People are going to think whatever they want, and you can try to educate them however you want -- but the real crux is that they have to want to learn about it.

Oh gawd I hate people with the horseapple philosophy of "This is me, accept it or up yours!" there are very few situations where that works, and propagating that philosophy only hurts people. Imagine going to a store and insisting you pay in walnuts, do you think they'll sell you anything? Imagine going to a formal restaurant in nothing but your underwear, do you think they'll let you eat?

And also you cant say what options a person has untill you know their whole situation, the OP might have the same problem I do "If you turn gay I'm through you out of the house and the FAMILY!" and this having been since I was 13 (and a LOT of strings kept tied to anything and everything so if I do try and leave on my own I get screwed over) so the best option is anything that my mother doesn't like is hidden away. This works for me, and may be the only option for the OP, don't cast judgement until you know the situation.

EDIT:

and I apologize for how angry this sounds, this is a major hotbutton issue for me...

You'd have points except I believe you haven't even read the OP. His parents know it already and seem a little uneased, but are not doing anything that should force someone down the path of lying and deceitful action. He isn't being threatened or acted against. He watches ponies and his parents don't seem to approve, and that is the long and short of it. They aren't threatening him with punishment, nor publicly deriding him. They cast sideways glances and go, "Errr...."., which is the same reaction my uncle has with my nephew who listens to Justin Beiber. Unless you're saying that my nephew should start being deceitful with his father because he doesn't whole-heatedly approve, I fail to see why the OP should seriously consider the same

And you say I need to withhold judgement until I know the situation when you are the one proposing to create a gulf between parent and child when you know no more than I? Get your priorities straight, Ashton, because you are no more qualified than I and yet you are making the far more grave advice.

The world is about conformity, if you cant conform then you hide it and pretend to conform, this way everything works out nicely. Yes, it's miserable but it's LESS miserable than fighting everyone about it.

If you're weak-willed, then yes. I stood up for myself and my chosen way of life and took heat for it and that led to me being out on my rear at 16. It was also the best thing I've done. Don't confuse someone's lack of fortitude and willpower to see something through with them taking proper action, because deceit will never turn out for the best. It may help you in the short run but in the long run, in the best case scenario, it starts to breed a belief that lying is good and that eventually cascades into serious trouble.

OP: They aren't doing anything so you shouldn't worry about it. Your parents aren't always going to understand and approve but as long as they don't try and stop you from being you, there isn't a reason to worry.

I try the 'this is me, accept it' approach, although I handle it the way Fluttershy would. By saying it so quietly no-one can hear me and just keep doing what I've been doing. If some jerk (not talking about my parents here, just to be clear) objects to they way I am and tries to force me to change, I'll also handle that the way fluttershy would and turn him into a pile of sobbing jelly. (of course, some situations make the Flutterrage approach a bad idea, and in those situations I just keep my head down and mumble inaudibly.)

@walker You're fine, They haven't done stuff that's too bad I guess, it just feels that their condesention have been slowly escalating.I'm seriously worried that they think I'm gay. I've had some arguements with them before about their opinions on gay marriage, so yeah. Not that theirs anything wrong with Gayness of course, I'm fine with it, I'm just not that way. Thank all of you who have posted here giving me advice. :)

Just tell 'em you aren't gay. If they don't beleive you... not much will probalby happen. Besides what do ponies even have to do with gayness (aside from Rainbow Dash)?

(On a side note, I find it hilarious when people fall over backwards to say stuff like "Not that there's anything wrong with gayness." I have no clue why.)