Season Three News from Writers

Copypasta'd from here, I thought this information might remove some of the stagnant lack of news as we wait for S3 to start:

More juicy deets from Mitch Larson. These concern past and future episodes, as did the ones below.

• M.A. Larson: “Featherweight was originally called Milquetoast and he was Namby-Pamby's little brother.”
  • TheIcehawk: “Are you able to tell us how many episodes you have written for season 3? …” M.A. Larson: “2”
  • TheIcehawk: “Was also curious, how long does it usually take you to write an episode? Or even how long do they give you?” M.A. Larson: “We have a day-long story breaking session, then about 5-6 weeks start to finish.”
  • Osaka Jack: “Have any #MLPFIM story ideas ever been scrapped b/c a fan or fanfic predicted it?” M.A. Larson: “We can’t look at fan stuff for legal reasons so any overlap is coincidence. The only ep killers are Lauren, Hub, and now Meghan.”
  • Sasmuel Farrugia: “This is taking place almost a year before the episode finally airs correct? Like, you’ve finished S3 by now right?” M.A. Larson: “Right, it takes a looong time to get on the air. Just checked and I turned in 1st draft of swarm of century xmas of ’09.”
  • TechnoTrot: “What’s been the toughest episode to write for MLP from either season 1 or 2?” M.A. Larson: “Luna eclipsed or swarm. And secret of my excess was easiest. What aired was pretty much the first draft.”
  • Tony Ace: “How many drafts does a story usually go through?” M.A. Larson: “We break stories thoroughly so not a lot chnges in the process. Netwrk notes are (almost always) minimal. Hub’s cool like that.” And: “More specifically one draft, one polish, unless there's something structural, which has only happened to me twice.”
  • Also, Meghan McCarthy confirmed for being awesomely fun.

The mysteries of season 3. They’ll remain mysteries for now of course, but at least we know the following.

• M.A. Larson responded to “I hope for more of an arc, like season 1, tho’ I’m glad for the 2 antagonists intro’d in season 2. Maybe bring the 2 together?” with “Meghan’s got plans…”
  • Then there’s also his “One thing but you can’t tell McCarthy I told you. I did one w a bit bigger role for zecora.”
  • He also mentioned that The Foal Free Press “was originally called ‘The Horse’s Mouth.’ Not sure if it was legal reasons or creative that it got changed.”
  • In response to “Whaaaaaaaaat? That’s a shame. I loved Pip. Hope we see him again. Can you specify the reason why he was cut from the series? :<” he wrote “i really don’t know. LE story meeting, Lauren and Rob say ‘we’re adding Pip.’ i say ‘cool.’ last i heard of him.”
  • In fact, he wrote that this episode “more than any other I wrote got altered by network notes.”
  • A few interesting toys have cropped up, which are branded “Crystal Empire.”
  • Finally, William Anderson has started scoring the first season 3 episode, meaning its animation is done.

More than thirteen episodes in season three?

The continued voice recording, new or renewed writers, and the continued work of the storyboarders were already more or less clear indications that the production of season three may already extend beyond the thirteenth episode (or that something else is in production), but now Top Draw published their plans to finish the first thirteen episodes by August 10, 2012. Combined with William Anderson’s statement that “Everfree NW (August 17–19, 2012) is ‘right in the middle of season three,’ so he doesn’t know if he’ll be able to come, but he’d love to. (31:47)” it now seems very likely that season three has been extended to the usual twenty-six episodes.

Thoughts, everypony?

• Like 2

Interesting to hear things from a writer's perspective.

Interesting how Luna Eclipsed was the toughtest one to write (I'd assume the two part episodes were the hardest).

Also interesting how that one was altered the most. I wonder why?

I like that it's confirmed that season Three will have the full 26 episodes.

The Crystal Empire toy line seems interesting. I'm wondering if that will be a new evil group/ new location for ponies to travel to.

It's not quite confirmed yet, but all the data is there to suggest that we'll be getting the full twenty-six.

I'll be more happy to see an official announcement, but hopefully this news will alleviate some of the anxiety!

Very good news as far as I'm concerned. :)

For the most part, at least. I'm concerned that M.A. Larson has only written two episodes for season 3 so far. He is best writer. He needs more than that. :/

The fanstuff use was sadly chrystal clear with what happened with Derpy... :sniff: At least as long her name is ommited she would be cool.... Even I would be happy if her name is reversed to Ditzy Doo, but that could mean that Dash effectively insulted her with the "Derpy" name, so, unlikely whe hear any name again.

Well, enough with sad stuff, I'm as happy as a pig in a pen with the almost fact of a 26 ep. season... that would make 96... Look out! "The Flintstones" ponies are coming! :smirk:

Other than the excitement of season 3 going from 13 episodes to 26 episodes, someone should probably correct the people over at the MLP:FiM wiki, unless I'm misunderstanding this, season 3 won't air till August. Whoever they have it on the wiki as being in the summer line up, which begins in a couple of days. Maybe I'm reading to much into it.

Edit: in case anyone is wondering about where I heard the summer line up part http://mlp.wikia.com...ndship_is_Magic there's the link

The fanstuff use was sadly chrystal clear with what happened with Derpy... :sniff: At least as long her name is ommited she would be cool.... Even I would be happy if her name is reversed to Ditzy Doo, but that could mean that Dash effectively insulted her with the "Derpy" name, so, unlikely whe hear any name again.

Derp isn't an offensive word. Any correlation to handicapped people is pure fabrication.

People act like we call her Retard Hooves or something. -.-

Here's a video explaining the origin of the word:

And on a more lighthearted note, let's not forget that they renamed the pony "Heartstrings" to "Lyra Heartstrings", as a compromise to who else but the bronies.

Also, I think that was more related to Fanfiction. They are not allowed to take inspiration from Fanfiction, for legal reasons.

Well, since they re-recorded that scene, they took out the name Derpy. They could still call her Ditzy Doo later on, since that name kind of doesn't exist anymore.

The Crystal Empire toy line seems interesting. I'm wondering if that will be a new evil group/ new location for ponies to travel to.

Eventually all series do a "world tour" season/arc, I predicted before ACW that at least part of Cadence's introduction was a gateway to a new land. I just hope that it's not going to be a new Mane 6 in the Crystal Empire (essentially G4.5) Though the World Tour season likely wont be much better (I'm keeping my claws crossed, but to date I've never been happy with one of these arcs...)

Of course, in the OP we were told that Zecora had a bigger part, so unless she decides to move or visit someplace, that confirms that at least *part* of the season will be in ponyville (not to mention Mady Peterson confirmed Scoots in S3, who is too young to do massive traveling unless by accident (which I'm betting against)) Though I suppose the Mane 6 could go off to the Crystal Empire to deal with... stuff... and we get other "filler" eppisodes mixed in that are set in Ponyville with Zecora, the CMC, etc...

So very many possibilities! They're downright Evil to drop so many details that dont line up! :x

I doubt they will spend a significant part of a season in a new land. Two-parters and perhaps more links but I don't think they will go the route of displacing the main cast to a new land for long.

I wouldn't be shocked to see them visiting the bigger cities -- there's plenty of content and opportunities for a good story there!

I wouldn't be shocked to see that either, going to cities and such. I just doubt that a significant portion of the season will take place in a new land such as the Crystal Empire.:P

hmm... zombierider hasn't posted on here yet? thats odd... he's normally on these kinds of forums WAY before i find them...

anyways, i figure that they'll be putting in lots of ideas for season 3...

idk, i'll leave the rest to rider...

I wouldn't be shocked to see them visiting the bigger cities -- there's plenty of content and opportunities for a good story there!

YES, i agree, being in the same place for almost every episode DOES get a bit old and feels like it "needs to be that way" after a while...

besides, i want to know what trottingham is like so i can design my characters better

Interesting to hear things from a writer's perspective.

Interesting how Luna Eclipsed was the toughtest one to write (I'd assume the two part episodes were the hardest).

Also interesting how that one was altered the most. I wonder why?

I like that it's confirmed that season Three will have the full 26 episodes.

Luna Eclipsed must have been the toughest due to the revisions.

Makes you wonder why their were so many revisions. Maybe the network thought it was too scary

Maybe. For a children's show there's a fine line between scary enough and too scary.

Also, I know there were things like Rarity giving Luna royal makeover that was cut from that episode, so maybe the script ran too long.

Maybe. For a children's show there's a fine line between scary enough and too scary.

Also, I know there were things like Rarity giving Luna royal makeover that was cut from that episode, so maybe the script ran too long.

I'd rather they had cut the pip scene at the beginning to get that Rarity scene in. Pip is cool and all, but...