Unicorn Magic

Bronynumber299

I imagine horn glue could fix up a broken horn! Or it could just grow back, albeit slowly.

Unicorn magic? Celestia can raise the sun and dispel other powerful magic spells, so that should speak for itself. I'm sure there are limits, but the effects of magic aren't described very well in the series, so speculation is all we really have.

What is the limits of unicorn magic?

Most Unicorns are able to levitate and telekinetically move objects with their Magic. In addition to this, each Unicorn has their special talent, generally a spell unique to them. They may know a few other scattered spells, but Unicorns are mostly limited to levitation and special talent. Twilight Sparkle should not be a base for Unicorn magic, as she is special and unique, and probably the third or fourth most powerful pony in Equestria. Nopony, save for Alicorns, can match up to her.

How does it work?

It's magic. Please don't try to apply logic to a magical land of colorful ponies.

Um do they get tired?

Well, how about you run 10 miles, move 50 heavy boxes, or mow the lawn. Are you tired? Unicorns get tired just like everyone else. Just because they can manipulate magic, doesn't mean they have everlasting strength.

Oh and what is the effects if the horn gets broken?

A Unicorn will likely be unable to perform magic, or it will be extremely limited. We have a few broken horned ponies already. The horn cannot be repaired. That would be like an amputee getting a fake limb. Is that limb attached to their body? Can they manipulate it with their mind? Do they feel with it? No. Unicorn horns also grow back very slowly, so it would take awhile for the Unicorn to be able to use magic again, and they might not even reach full power.

Unicorn Magic to me is perhaps the best form of magic due to the fact that it's not all encompassing nor overpowerful.

In fact the only one who seems even remotely overpowered is Twilight but that might go down to her element being Magic.

I think her special talant is being good at magic, so instead of having a spell related to her talant she is able to cast all spells

But any one spell she doesn't do as well as the pony who has it as their special talent.

I think she can do it just as well, but it takes more effort than usual. Reference A Dog and a Pony Show. She was able to do the gem finding spell with as much effectiveness as Rarity, but it took her considerably more effort.

I think she can also create spells too. I'm not sure if the 25 spells she did in Boast Busteres were from a book or not, but it wouldn't be far fetched to think that she could create spells like the great conjurers of the past (eg Star Swirl the Bearded).

hi hi

I don't know how well this works for anyone else, or if it holds up in the presence of other types of magic from different creatures like spirits or the possible "zebra sense." In my own mind, pony magic is sort of a triad of balanced components and goes kind of like this.

• Unicorn Pony Magic comes from the mind, it is performed with concentration and thought, made effective with study and knowledge.

• Pegasus Pony Magic comes from the body, it is performed with physical action. Flying, moving, bucking clouds, whirling into tornadoes.

Earth Pony Magic comes from the heart, it is performed through relationships. A connection with the Earth, with plants and animals that they nurture over time like a friendship.

• Like 4

hi hi

I don't know how well this works for anyone else, or if it holds up in the presence of other types of magic from different creatures like spirits or the possible "zebra sense." In my own mind, pony magic is sort of a triad of balanced components and goes kind of like this.

• Unicorn Pony Magic comes from the mind, it is performed with concentration and thought, made effective with study and knowledge.

• Pegasus Pony Magic comes from the body, it is performed with physical action. Flying, moving, bucking clouds, whirling into tornadoes.

Earth Pony Magic comes from the heart, it is performed through relationships. A connection with the Earth, with plants and animals that they nurture over time like a friendship.

That is the greatest explanation I have ever seen for it. Mind if I quote you on that in the future?

Wait how do they make glue?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridgeHorror

hi hi

Thanks, I don't mind people quoting me at all. I'm just trying to further the discussion. :)

How do they make glue? Since its sort of a tangent, I'll condense the information.

There are several different types of glues. Animal glues which is what everyone talks about when they're joking about this and originally was the only adhesive considered glue, up until it became common practice to call any liquid adhesive a glue.

Plant-based glues are usually based around various types of resins that are naturally occurring in plants, such as Gum Arabic or starch based glues that are basically just starch and water.

Solvent glues such as polystyrene cement or butanone actually weld the two objects together.

Synthetic polymers like Polyurethane or Polyvinyl Acetate are very common. White glue (Elmer's glue) is the latter of those two examples and was originally made by adding acetic acid to acetylene with mercury salts, but these days the addition is usually catalyzed by palladium oxidation.

Synthetic monomers like Cyanoacrylate, ie "superglue" also don't require any animal parts. Cyanoacrylate is made by placing ethyl cyanoacetate in a glass lined mixing kettle then mixed with formaldehyde. The two chemicals trigger condensation and through heating, the water is evaporated. The kettle is then heated to roughly 305ºF which causes the polymer to crack to form reactive monomers that will recombine to form a bond when the glue is applied. Because the monomers are lighter than the polymer, they work their way to the top and are syphoned off.