Hasbro thinks that they can cheap out on us.

DoctorWilliam

Now I really don't want to rain on anypony's parade, especially since most of you are probably pleased with the fact that they're having a Derpy figurine being sold exlusive as Comic Con this year. However, after having a conversation with a MLP figurine collector who collected figurines long before G4, I was given the information of the quality of the previous generation's quality compared to G4, and why she was disappointed with Hasbro's decision.

For example, G3 has noted to have had 32 different models with unique poses for a figurine at their disposal and at comic con, the exlusives were hand-made with intricate designs and unique poses. G4 on the other hand has had very little pampering with the toyline unlike the previous generations. G4 has only 5 poses (manes included) for figurines and the paint job is minimal.

Derpy is no different, and instead of having a hand-designed uniquely posed high quality figurine of Derpy, It's just a factory mold. This made me come to the realization that Hasbro might not increase the quality of their products just because they're trying to appeal more to the bronies. It might actually be the apposite; that they might be taking advantage on our ignorance on the quality of the previous generations and are just going to keep manufacturing lazy recolors.

I mean, if they thought that they'd get more appeal if they improved their quality, why did they decide to take a dump on the quality of their annual comic con exlusive pony figurine?

I'm sorry if I seem rather negative, and maybe I should be more positive that there's gonna be derpy at comic con, but just because they are trying to appeal to the bronies doesn't mean that they're going to be less cheap to us unless they know it affects their sales which they're probably not. At this point I don't think there's ever going to be a change in Hasbro's ways. :-(

Chances are that hasbro is afraid to invest time and money in setting up higher quality toy lines, because by the time they get things rolling, for all they know the brony fandom will have dissappeared. They might just see us as a fad. As for the derpy being available at comicon, being it uses a factory mold, they can give us our "shoutout" without changing their factory lines.

Chances are that hasbro is afraid to invest time and money in setting up higher quality toy lines, because by the time they get things rolling, for all they know the brony fandom will have dissappeared. They might just see us as a fad. As for the derpy being available at comicon, being it uses a factory mold, they can give us our "shoutout" without changing their factory lines.

Which is a huge mistake. Adults are far more likely to collect quality than repainted junk. I mean, have they SEEN what we are willing to pay? Even if they make the investment, it will pay off even if it IS just a fad.

I mean we gave John De Lancie 330k for a documentary! and that is not even everyone who will likely be BUYING IT

Maybe they lost money on G3 (because it sucked), so they decided to play it safe with G4, even before the show aired.

Or perhaps instead of putting all their eggs in the toy basket they put them in the show this time. Which would you rather have? awesome show and crappy toys or crappy show and awesome toys?

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. Hasbro has been in the toy business for quite a while -- it was started in 1923 by the Hassenfeld Brothers, and they produced pencil cases and school supplies, later expanding into the toy business in the 1940s. Since they are a business, they want to make money by producing cheap toys, using brand strength and interesting properties to push them. High-quality collector's edition stuff has never been their focus.

We also know they are a giant corporate beast, and making even little changes can have a huge impact on their sales, cost of production, and on their business subsidiaries -- they own many, and organizing them all is probably a nightmare. So, simple is best, and unfortunately simplicity also makes cheap toys. There's more going on behind their office doors we don't see, and a lot of things happen they way they do for a reason, even if we don't understand it.

As of right now they have reached out to us, and I think they will continue to reach out as they see their surprise customer base has money to spend if they give us something worthwhile to spend it on. The cheapness of the Derpy toy is probably due to production costs and was only meant as a fan nod (and possibly an olive branch after Derpygate) -- proof that Hasbro is listening and interested in taking an active role in promoting and producing products for its unintended audience.

(Spinal Tap reference for the win!)

Beat me to it! lol, Yes, awesome stuff, where was this? I dont keep up with any cons I wont be going to... >.<

I'm more worried about what's going on here:

Nah. Don't be. They look like those custom previous generation ponies they always seem to have at these cons. Probably done by someone famous or something..

i actually like those custom pony... things. whatever you want to call them. They arent supposed to represent any real characters, they are just artistic pony designs that compromise with older gens to this gen, i feel. Look at the ponies that were on display at the Pony Project. http://www.equestria...pening-day.html. I know its not Hasbro directly, but its a concept that some artists seem to like to color on.

this one was my favorite of the ones i saw.

tumblr_m3pv6qNcD91qj088zo1_500.jpg