Podcast: Canterlot Voice

CrescentBlaze

It's also not very approachable since it takes getting a character approved for mane RP before you could participate in it. Just because it's not something you enjoy doesn't mean it's not a valid form of roleplay.

By that logic, Mane RP topics would never be featured as Thread of the Week, and to me that definitely doesn't seem fair as it would be ignoring a rather active and essential part of the site that the podcast is supposed to represent.

The rest of the podcast team has read your comments and I speak for all of them when I say that we would like for this debate to end before things get too heated. We have taken all of your opinions into account and will keep them in mind when next we choose a thread of the week. Please allow us to do the rest of the debating (for we have rpers of all skill levels and expereince on the the team allowing for a wide base) to avoid any further conflict, at least on this thread, thank you :)

• Like 3

You're bringing an entirely different topic into this, Davroth. Nowhere did I say that Free For All isn't a valid form of roleplay; I'd appreciate words not being put into my mouth, please. And unless you're saying that the Podcast team should never include Mane RP, not seeing how that should stop them.

Oh I'm sorry, I suppose I understood you wrong when you said that something like grammatical and spelling errors should disqualify a thread from being featured in that segment. And that you found the featured thread "meh".

By that logic, Mane RP topics would never be featured as Thread of the Week, and to me that definitely doesn't seem fair as it would be ignoring a rather active and essential part of the site that the podcast is supposed to represent.

Ah.. no. What I said is that that kind of threads should be able to featured, too. And I'd wish that could happen without causing some kind of backlash that in turn causes the podcast team to backpaddle on their choice. As happening here.

well if its what the users want... :blush:

Pick whatever topic you want. Knowing now that your thread of the week won't be about the quality of the topic or posts but rather just how interesting someone on the team found it, I understand why you picked Quick Kisses. I still disagree, but I get it. And that's fine! But for future reference, make sure to note when thread of the week comes up to say that it isn't about how good it is but if someone on the team noticed it and found it interesting, and also just make sure to remember that people who are not here on Canterlot may hear the podcast and check out what you say to check out. In a sense you are going to be somepony's first link to Canterlot RP! It's a great and exciting privilege and responsibility to bare. I can tell you the exact reason I'm so mehhhh about the thread.

I was trying to get a few people I know who RP to move over to the site. They're a prickly bunch when it comes to committing, since once they do they tend to go all-out. They've been RPing the same two things for eight years and still devote a lot of time to it, and this would be a big sink as well. So I give them the podcast, talking up the creativity of the fans here- they loved how y'all did the podcast, by the way. They also loved the intro song. They were excited about the first two segments and then Thread of the Week hit, they found it, and now I have to combat the perception that every thread is like that. They are semi-trolling me because we're close like that and they have said they're fine with people RPing that way, but based on that RP I can't tell them that Canterlot.com offers them something unique and awesome.

Which is crazy because we totally are awesome! You guys created a great podcast, how epic is that? But it's hard to make outsiders interested in RPing interested in the RP here when they can't see the difference between what they just saw and any other RP they could have with ponies on any forum or chat room. So again, it isn't because the thread was awful- as I said, it wasn't. Not my cup of tea but really not that big a deal. It has more to do with how a podcast that can now be found on EQD advertises the forum that spawned it. And if Quick Kisses esque RPs are the type that you wanna advertise, that's fine. I won't like it, but I also don't like Bronyville's intro song, Everfree Radio's constant meme use during episode reviews, and most podcasts I hear in a nutshell.

The first to segments of the podcast were spend talking about exciting, future RP events which are very large in scope. I don't see the harm in advertising a thread like Quick Kisses in addition to that, which is relatively small and readily available to new and old users alike.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understood it, the Thread of the Week isn't limited to RP threads anyway.

The first to segments of the podcast were spend talking about exciting, future RP events which are very large in scope. I don't see the harm in advertising a thread like Quick Kisses in addition to that, which is relatively small and readily available to new and old users alike.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understood it, the Thread of the Week isn't limited to RP threads anyway.

The talk amongst the group I sent this to went like this: It doesn't matter if the ideas are awesome(which they are) if this is the sort of execution that is common, then it isn't interesting enough to get outsiders...well...interested.

You have to look at it from someone who doesn't know anything about Canterlot's POV. They have a huge range of options for Pony RP, from all sorts of forums and chats to the messengers and some desperate souls can even E-mail. A podcast about Canterlot that gets put up on EQD needs to realize that it is getting watched by more than just friends at Canterlot- it is perhaps the first contact some will have with the forum at all! And as I said in mt first post on this topic: I disagree with the thread of the week fervently, but I still thought it was a great episode.

Pick whatever topic you want. Knowing now that your thread of the week won't be about the quality of the topic or posts but rather just how interesting someone on the team found it, I understand why you picked Quick Kisses. I still disagree, but I get it. And that's fine! But for future reference, make sure to note when thread of the week comes up to say that it isn't about how good it is but if someone on the team noticed it and found it interesting, and also just make sure to remember that people who are not here on Canterlot may hear the podcast and check out what you say to check out. In a sense you are going to be somepony's first link to Canterlot RP! It's a great and exciting privilege and responsibility to bare. I can tell you the exact reason I'm so mehhhh about the thread.

I was trying to get a few people I know who RP to move over to the site. They're a prickly bunch when it comes to committing, since once they do they tend to go all-out. They've been RPing the same two things for eight years and still devote a lot of time to it, and this would be a big sink as well. So I give them the podcast, talking up the creativity of the fans here- they loved how y'all did the podcast, by the way. They also loved the intro song. They were excited about the first two segments and then Thread of the Week hit, they found it, and now I have to combat the perception that every thread is like that. They are semi-trolling me because we're close like that and they have said they're fine with people RPing that way, but based on that RP I can't tell them that Canterlot.com offers them something unique and awesome.

Which is crazy because we totally are awesome! You guys created a great podcast, how epic is that? But it's hard to make outsiders interested in RPing interested in the RP here when they can't see the difference between what they just saw and any other RP they could have with ponies on any forum or chat room. So again, it isn't because the thread was awful- as I said, it wasn't. Not my cup of tea but really not that big a deal. It has more to do with how a podcast that can now be found on EQD advertises the forum that spawned it. And if Quick Kisses esque RPs are the type that you wanna advertise, that's fine. I won't like it, but I also don't like Bronyville's intro song, Everfree Radio's constant meme use during episode reviews, and most podcasts I hear in a nutshell.

I apologize the choice of thread caused a personal issue but perhaps you should explain to your friends that this is one of literally thousands of threads on this site and one does not represent the bunch, that was the entire idea of spreading around the highlights so that we werent always nominating the threads with the best writing or quality. If you want your friends to see the kind of rp you believe sets a good example then YOU can show it to them, we dont cater to any one user we aim to be the voice of everypony here. This way we give a broad foundation for the type of rp to be found here. Please no more discussion on this topic, thank you.

• Like 1

I totally second that recommendation. It's a fun concept, amusing, active and accessible to RPers of all skill levels. ;-)

Oh you guys... :smug:

I would be willing to have 100 Country Kisses be 'RP thread of the week,' only if I get to talk about it with the hosts. I don't have a mic right now though, but if you desire any information, I would desire any of my threads to be talked with me first, before they get published and at the mercy of the way it's presented by a few guys who haven't RP'd in that thread (yet).

I think this topic would be a great premise of friendly debate. Looking at the bigger picture, what could be done to improve the roleplay of Canterlot as a whole, and get more people of mixed skill levels involved? That's a question the players grapple with every week, and there is no one simple solution to it. Inclusion and selective exclusion play great roles in a game meant to be shared by more than one person, especially with a complex roleplay community such as this. I believe leading by example, including many players, and teaching them how to play better in a positive way is one answer.

• Like 2

Despite differing opinions here, lets not forget to be grateful that there is a podcast at all. You guys are doing very well, and I think that while feedback is a good tool, you should focus on finding what gives your podcast its voice, character, and personality. I think you are all doing very well.

• Like 1

Oh you guys... :smug:

I would be willing to have 100 Country Kisses be 'RP thread of the week,' only if I get to talk about it with the hosts. I don't have a mic right now though, but if you desire any information, I would desire any of my threads to be talked with me first, before they get published and at the mercy of the way it's presented by a few guys who haven't RP'd in that thread (yet).

Thread deserves the attention. AJ kissing booth is amazing idea. I seriously wish I could come up with anything quite that fun to do with Rarity in the mane RP.

Hehe. Hopefully you all can work something out before all those sweet Applejack kisses run out! ;-)

Nice episode 3 guys. Unfortunately, I still won't be able to join you next week. I have a commitment with my FoE PNP group.

Just watched episode 3, and to start where you ended, you're all wrong! Rarity is best pony. ;)

This wasn't quite as exciting as episode 2 for me. Maybe it's just that it was all stuff I already knew about, and with episode 2, going in I had yet to hear much about Iron Pony and Hearts of Equestria. It was a bit slow to start, and while I didn't not enjoy listening to it, I didn't take away much new or interesting from the episode overall. Still, I wouldn't call it bad. I listened to it all and you guys were likable enough, it just kind of missed a certain spark this time.

Regardless, keep up the work! I'll continue to listen in as long as you keep making these. :)

Just watched episode 3, and to start where you ended, you're all wrong! Rarity is best pony. ;-)

This wasn't quite as exciting as episode 2 for me. Maybe it's just that it was all stuff I already knew about, and with episode 2, going in I had yet to hear much about Iron Pony and Hearts of Equestria. It was a bit slow to start, and while I didn't not enjoy listening to it, I didn't take away much new or interesting from the episode overall. Still, I wouldn't call it bad. I listened to it all and you guys were likable enough, it just kind of missed a certain spark this time.

Regardless, keep up the work! I'll continue to listen in as long as you keep making these. :)

Sorry that you didn't enjoy listening to it. I hope you will enjoy the next episode things will be mixed up a little in terms of hosts and such. Hopefully we can have that spark you speak of in the next episode. many thanks for your feedback =)

Just listening to Ep 3.

Thoughts that come up in my mind....

Show notes are invite only. http://arty.c0lt.co/eNi0

Still only one single thread to talk about every-single-episode current and future?

Why isn't there a thread per show and include show notes in the thread, linking youtube listeners to the thread (bringing more interest in the forum the podcast originates from)

An hoooouuuuuuuuuuuuur loooooooooooooooooong again?

(gave up after 30 mins of constant talk with no break or even background music to breakdown the monotony)

Sorry guys... it's nice but really needs "something" to make it less of a chore to listen. I'm sure the other 30 mins had some interesting things.

And finally, sure if you'd like to grill me publicly I'm ok with that. "TinCan" has my skype. ;)

Keep up the good work but don't be "settled". Keep making improvements to your format and strive to be better!

• Like 1

Artax brings up one of the places I think you guys can best develop that I briefly touched on earlier; but I believe a part of it is becoming more experienced as you do it. Tightening up your show so there is very little downtime/transition time is something you are all going to want to strive for.

Based on two facts/goals:

1) People want as much information as they can get that is interesting. They like it straight to the point, then a bit of juicy detail.

2) People want to spend the least amount of time gaining that information as possible. This leaves more time for more information, or daily activities.

The best news follows these two principles; pack in as much as you can in as little time as you can, and keep it interesting. In a news cast, there are likely several topics your interested in, and several you wont be as an average user. As the reporter, you want to make sure that you aren't losing your listeners partway through. Also, the shorter your show is, the more people will be able to fit it into their schedule. (There are a lot of clever ways to present information in edible chunks- break a one hour show into two 30 minute chunks, or even three 20 minute chunks. Each of those chunks should concentrate on communicating as much information as possible into the smallest amount of time possible.) Every good show has exclusives, discussion, commentary, and a little bit of bantering back and forth, but the key is that the show move very fluid, and on to the next topic before any listeners grow tired of the current subject and move on.

Not everything has to be over and done with quickly, but it should maintain some kind of balance. You can cover a featured topic in one 20 minute chunk, something like an interview, or information exclusively released to you guys to help draw attention to each podcast, while covering multiple other pieces of information in other segments. Essentially, you are still recording the same amount of time, but you are offering more information by being fluid and concise, and releasing them in smaller 'pieces', so they are more appetizing and available to a larger crowd of listeners. Breaking a show into two segments would do just that.

Part of tightening your show up is how you as a crew function together with your commentary- and while you are all discovering your voice, and the personality of the show, you might listen to a few other actual news shows (morning shows would be best) to see the dynamic between members of the cast. Often, its not what you say that defines your personal/character/or who you are on a talk show, but largely how you say it that sticks with the audience. Your tone of voice, the pace of your voice, all play into your personality as much as anything else. You might all decide to isolate a few unique characteristics about yourselves, and focus on drawing those out in the show as you learn how you work with one another- this will help give each of you an identity that is memorable, and will ultimately shape a large part of the character of your podcast. Not everything has to be impromptu either, and as your starting out, you will all probably have to plan a bit more about how you interact than later on, when you will all have a good feel for how your personalities blend together.

I'm sure you guys are already working on a lot of what i've mentioned, but i certainly think this is your greatest area of opportunity. Anyone can do a podcast- the challenge before you all is how you will make your podcast exceptional. I imagine you all want to have a show that is known for its quality- so what will you all have to do in order to take it to the next level, meet, and surpass your competition?

There is a lot of food for thought there! I'm excited to see you guys taking action and tackling it- it takes a lot of energy, planning, and heart to do something well. Keep in there, and look to continually improve- even the best of the best need to constantly improve to stay on top!

• Like 1