What other girl-themed cartoons have you watched and enjoyed?

punky

I was wondering what other girl-themed cartoons people on here have watched.

Here's my take:

American:

Rainbow Brite: ugh, even as a kid, I thought this was dumb.

Jem: This actually had catchy songs

Japanese:

Sailor Moon: I think if you took out the romance, it still would work.

Princess Tutu: Just beautiful

Spice and Wolf: This is enjoyably funny

Honey and Clover: So far, this is a great, honest story. It almost feels like it'd make a good live-action.

Powerpuff Girls and Sailor moon dominated my childhood. I threw a fit when I had to miss an episode of Sailor Moon, and when toonami stopped airing it I went complete ape$#!%.

I wish I had the free time to just sit down and re-watch Sailor Moon. I can hardly remember anything from that show now! :scream:

Powerpuff Girls and Sailor moon dominated my childhood. I threw a fit when I had to miss an episode of Sailor Moon, and when toonami stopped airing it I went complete ape$#!%.

I wish I had the free time to just sit down and re-watch Sailor Moon. I can hardly remember anything from that show now! :scream:

Well, you're going to have to settle for the manga version. Toei won't let us Americans have it at all because the dub ruined it so badly. :x

Yeah. Spice and Wolf is a seinen (adult male targeted) series. Honey and Clover really isn't the same sort of thing either, being it's Josei and thus targeted toward adult women.

As for my answers, well, there's Power Puff Girls, but I never felt like that was a cartoon for girls really. Never felt like it growing up at least. Also I've seen a small amount of shoujo anime, and while most of it doesn't do much for me I do kind of like the more magical girl themed stuff sometimes.

Let's see...

Care Bears, Maple Town Monogatari, Jem, Rainbow Brite, Noozles, Pound Puppies, Pony of course, and Sailor Moon.

I should also note I watched and enjoyed far more cartoons that were gender neutral in scope (like Snorks, Tiny Toons, everything on Disney Afternoon, etc.) or with a different demographic in mind: (SWAT Kats, Super Ted, Mighty Max -- anypony remember this one? "Fowl, actually!") Howzabout David the Gnome? Oooh, or Pirates of Dark Water?! *fangirl squeal* :kissy:

I should also note I watched and enjoyed far more cartoons that were gender neutral in scope (like Snorks, Tiny Toons, everything on Disney Afternoon, etc.) or with a different demographic in mind: (SWAT Kats, Super Ted, Mighty Max -- anypony remember this one? "Fowl, actually!") Howzabout David the Gnome? Oooh, or Pirates of Dark Water?! *fangirl squeal* :kissy:

Bolded... I have no words... But you forgot Animaniacs and Freakazoid. I also enjoyed Peter Pan and the Pirates, along with many many others. But OMC Pirates of Dark Water... I NEED TO SEE THE ENDING! THEY ONLY MADE IT HALF WAY! I want them to find the other treasures of rule (I think there were 6 or 7 left) and save Mur! Man if I was more tanned (or even could tan) I'd totally cosplay Ren. Would you want to be Tula Rosie?

But yeah... so many shows were gender neutral and totally amazing. The only shows that were really male oriented that I watched and enjoyed were GI Joe and Transformers. I don't even consider super hero shows to be male oriented. Though that may be in hind sight. Not sure what I thought of them then...

Considering that at the time I was watching cartoons that were toy commercials for toys you could actively buy in stores, with the excitement of meeting new characters (i.e. Toys, or in a SHOCKING number of theses, stationary and greeting cards first, and then toys. TCFC had great character ideas) on the show was impetus to watch, I have to give a LOT of 80s crap passes. I found most of them vaguely insulting to tomboys then, and I find some unwatchable now. Of course you had to catch them when they were actually on tv. Getting the entire run of a tv show oh VHS, if it was even available, which most of these weren't until the 90s was expensive as all get out.

JEM, I actually liked this show. Not as good as an adult because I find myself screaming at Jerrica for being so stupid. 99% of that drama would be resolved if she and Rio weren't so oblivious. If it was the Stormy and Kimber show full of cheesy rock and cheesier fashion with out the chumptastic love story I'd love it.

Rainbow Brite. I always liked the toys, and it always bothered me that the the cartoon was not as cute as the cards and stickers. Still watched it when I could. Hate LaLa Orange, though, and Rainbow's kind if annoying.

Moondreamers, loved the concept. Don't remember more than one episode.

Strawberry shortcake was my reason for living until I discovered my little pony. To the point that I had my entire room, including my foofy faux-French provincial canopy bed (standard issue if you were a little girl in the 80s) was crawling with the characters.

Other "Girl" cartoons that intrigued me from the character aspect, but HOLY CRAP was their respective cartoon STUPID: Lady Lovely Locks, Rose Petal Place.

And then for a long time after that I hated female characters. Couldn't identify with them, thought they were lame and pandering. Didn't know even what a stereotype was, but knew that they made girls look stupid, for the most part.

It wasn't until I "met" Babs Bunny and Marvel Comics that that changed, and by then. I was in high school when Sailor Moon aired, and while I loved the look of the show, the characters in the dub kind of left me flat, so it didn't have a huge impact on me.

The only prominent ones I remember are Strawberry Shortcake, Powerpuff Girls (though, like Phil, I never really felt that was anchored towards girls growing up), and Sailor Moon (still watch it to this day, actually).

EDIT: Oh, and I think maybe Totally Spies would count. Possibly. I dunno.

Bolded... I have no words... But you forgot Animaniacs and Freakazoid. I also enjoyed Peter Pan and the Pirates, along with many many others. But OMC Pirates of Dark Water... I NEED TO SEE THE ENDING! THEY ONLY MADE IT HALF WAY! I want them to find the other treasures of rule (I think there were 6 or 7 left) and save Mur! Man if I was more tanned (or even could tan) I'd totally cosplay Ren. Would you want to be Tula Rosie?

But yeah... so many shows were gender neutral and totally amazing. The only shows that were really male oriented that I watched and enjoyed were GI Joe and Transformers. I don't even consider super hero shows to be male oriented. Though that may be in hind sight. Not sure what I thought of them then...

I never got into Freakazoid, to be honest! Animaniacs I followed religiously, but I forgot to add it to my list. Believe me, my list of cartoon viewership is much larger -- everything I listed off was just from the top of my head. I also remember watching Bucky 'O Hare, Rocky and Bullwinkle, etc. Inspector Gadget was my very, very, very first cartoon. I was really, really, really little when I first saw it, and I didn't understand that different shows aired on television, so I got upset when it finished and something else came on. :lol:

I had a crush on Chance from SWAT Kats. Meow!

I really wish Pirates of Dark Water completed production, or at least got a faithful remake. It was such an amazing story, great characters, and it was just...so good! It was one of my first tastes of an adventure series, and probably primed my love of adventure/fantasy. M'uuy jitatt! I would make a terrible Tula, as I am stark flour white! You would make an okay Ren. You're a better Hohenheim though!

Powerpuff girls

My Life as a Teenage Robot

Totally spies- Was my guilty pleasure back in the day. I would watch this everyday after school. My parents thought I was watching Dragonball Z. Those poor fools!

Kim Possible?

I know that I use to watch Sailor Moon a lot when I was younger but I really can't remember anything about it.

There are 2 others but I can't remember the names.

One was about these rodents. Squirrels maybe?

One was about this girl in middle/highschool. Had a super catchy intro.

There are 2 others but I can't remember the names.

One was about these rodents. Squirrels maybe?

One was about this girl in middle/highschool. Had a super catchy intro.

I suggest

for the first one. For the second, Pepper Ann or
, or perhaps As Told By Ginger, unless you mean Kim Possible, in which case, how could you forget that last one?