Bioware & Ponies Vs The Haters

tacobob

Recently on their Facebook page, Bioware put up that really cute pic of Pinkie running around in N7 armor that many of you might have seen before and CRIPES! The nasty ol' haters came out of the woodwork! In response to the nasties, Bioware just posted this on the official web site.

http://blog.bioware....is-a-community/

Well said Bioware..I wasn't a fan of Mass Effect 3's ending, but I still love those wacky video game making doctors! <3

After the pathetic lack of content or satisfactory play in The Old Republic, their total abandonment of such series as Jade Empire and MDK, their somewhat slipshod writing and badly-forced 'plot points' of Dragon Age 2, and the completely lackluster writing brought forth by Mass Effect 3, it feels like Bioware is more of a shambling puppet than the enchanting team of writers, artists and programmers alike that brought us Baldur's Gate and Knights of the Old Republic.

That said, it really feels like this recent bit of fanart was more of a publicity stunt than any sort of promotion of a fandom, and this response similarly lacks in any real reason to cheer on a development team that has long since lost its charm, wit, and brilliance. The use of the picture was not so much a whim as it was a move approved by Bioware's PR department, given it's place on the official Facebook page. Their lack of forethought as to MLP's volatility amidst the common market was a mis-step, and the so-called 'haters' are quite free to express their dismay that Bioware decided to unload upon them that which was unwelcome and wholly unrelated to the reasons they 'liked' bioware in the first place.

After the pathetic lack of content or satisfactory play in The Old Republic, their total abandonment of such series as Jade Empire and MDK, their somewhat slipshod writing and badly-forced 'plot points' of Dragon Age 2, and the completely lackluster writing brought forth by Mass Effect 3, it feels like Bioware is more of a shambling puppet than the enchanting team of writers, artists and programmers alike that brought us Baldur's Gate and Knights of the Old Republic.

It's almost as if what started off as a relatively small and focused company was somehow...absorbed by a much larger entity dedicated to...to...the electronic...arts...

This has nothing to do with the recent quality of their games, their resumé and past accomplishments, or the current state of their business. They posted a picture of crossover fanart on Facebook. People need to deal with it. I think their response to the fan dissent was appropriate and well-said:

"You don't like it? That's great. Make something better."

I'm of the opinion that the haters were in the wrong. While Bioware could very well have posted that picture just for PR (though I'm not so sure), that does not make the reaction of those who hated the picture any less immature. I get that not everyone likes MLP, but no one gets worked up if I post a picture of Pikachu, or some other cartoon. When I see a post of something I don't like or am uninterested in on any social media site, I ignore it, and I don't insult people who do like it. I wouldn't mind if they had said, "don't care about ponies" or "I don't like this." That's their opinion, and that's totally cool. But that doesn't justify the comments that I saw. I posted an image of some of the comments in the spoiler; they are rather distasteful.

And while I don't think the world of Bioware, I think that their response was very good and appropriate. They even mention that they share lots of fan content on their page, which tells me this wasn't so much a PR stunt as it was the Bioware facebook guys getting this picture sent in and thinking it was cool.

Uk7a9.jpg

• Like 1

Bleh, Ponies should never be mixed with something as profane as Bioware! KILL IT WITH TEH FIRE!!! :blah:

Anyway, this will neither be the first nor the last time that online fandoms whine for poor and/or stupid reasons. Heck, we lot are capable of Fan Dumb moments ourselves. In that regard, I don't regard the hate over a FiM crossover pic to be anything special.

There's a reason I don't go to facebook. It has the magical power to turn a lot of people into complete jerks. I'm willing to bet not even a tenth of these people are this hateful in real life, and at least half of them are doing this to save face in front of their 'friends'.

Really is such a horrible place...

There's a reason I don't go to facebook. It has the magical power to turn a lot of people into complete jerks. I'm willing to bet not even a tenth of these people are this hateful in real life, and at least half of them are doing this to save face in front of their 'friends'.

Really is such a horrible place...

There are much worse places, like the Youtube comments section or Reddit.

I am sure Bioware thought "hey this is a cool piece of Mass Effect fanart and ponies are popular so why not!?" and that was as deep as that thought went. Of course the reaction was mixed because people take crap far too seriously on the Internet. I especially love the people who had so much rage born of butthurt that they threatened to give up Mass Effect and sell all their games. Of course 90% of those people won't go through with it, and for the other 10%? Buh bye!

• 2 weeks later...

I will not be satisfied with the ME series until I can play a male Quarian!

But in all seriousness, I don't see it soo much a failed PR stunt as much as one or two Bioware devs seeing what they honestly thought was some cool fanart, and then facedesking at the sheer table flipping that ensued! (My personal favorite being someone saying this would lead them to suicide. How "tactful".) Glad to see Bioware put out something to try and hush them up a little bit though, and to promote more and possibly better fan creations, which is always a plus!

• 3 weeks later...

A good 50% of people who hated were probably encouraged due to :

Their peers were doing the same thing.

They are a follower

Or they are the type of person that bashes everything they don't like.

And that's what I like about bronies, we usually aren't afraid to say we like somthing others may find weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Not just this but in general, I don't understand the excessive degree of the hate.

You don't see people* vocally boycotting things because some manager states they support Arsenal (or whatever) or Rugby players/supporters boycotting because 'how dare you like football more than rugby'

Why kick someone from a game because of a pony spray or mic spamming best pony? Would you kick someone for having a car spray you didn't like or allow mic spammers arguing about a soap opera? Surely you kick mic spammers for mic spamming not subject matter....

They complain about ponies 'being everywhere' but seriously, try to escape football anywhere in the UK or find an evening of TV that doesn't involve some repetitive soap or reality programme.

I get that people like and dislike certain things, you probably picked up a few of my dislikes above, but boycotting or destroying everything produced by a company because 'Oh look a pony'?

I simply do not understand...

*I know there will be a few. There is never 'no-one' or 'the only one' in a world of approx 7 billion people.

Bioware is a community? That's new. I always envisioned it as being more like a violent, angry hive of wasps that starts stinging anyone who dares imply that they aren't perfect. Seriously, Bioware deserves a lot of the hate it gets, with its censoring of all critical (and valid, non-hateful) review. I've BEEN on the Bioware forums before, and I've seen them ignore and move threads that drew attention to bugs and flaws in all manner of their games, from ME3, to SWTOR and others in order to cover up the shortcomings, all the while making excuses. I've seen lead devs on the staff insult users on the forum, calling them stupid and ungrateful when they make predictions about things that inevitably come true and it turns out they were right to worry. So yeah.. I have zero respect for Bioware.

I never really liked mass effect, or any of biowares games, they feel very rushed and unfinished.

And the bioware community is ALOT like the CoD fanboys except they don't go around bashing most stuff they see, but one things for sure if a big game like cod who, once again has a large fanbase of haters and trolls EVER made a mlp reference anywhere......there would be bucking chaos.