Establishing a 'Magical Guild' in Canterlot!

PIJIN

Interesting insignia design. Like all organizations things can change so if someone doesn't like it, nothing is set in stone.

As for the name, it does sound like a pony, but a few of us agreed on it. Maybe one day we will change names.

Okay, time to answer a few questions!

Thanks for all you guys love on the emblem/badge/thing above, glad you all like it!

So when does the RP'ing start? :kissy:

Well not everypony has had their characters accepted yet so it will be a bit longer before we can start. I also need to learn to write a decent RP OP, so while everyone is scrambling to get things together, I'll be brushing up on my RP skills.

Looks like everything is set for the most part. There's been talk about how we plan to gather everypony together for the RP, which through a general consensus, advertisements in the Canterlot Times, flyers in pubs and other public places seemed the best route. While my character, Nivial can't dish out some gold hard cash and get an air ship to shovel out flyers to everyone in Canterlot, she can shovel out a few bits for quite a bit of flyers and an ad in the Times since she gets quite a bit of money from the high-class social events she works at.

There also seems to be an idea floating around about instead of a guild master/guild adviser, the guild were to be run by a sort of Guild Council, instead, with each member of the Council presiding over and responsible for some specific aspect of the guild's function. I really don't have a problem with this, but it seems that people have a problem with the leadership positions as a whole, preferring not to take them. However, this idea of a council may yield better results, so if any one wants to apply for those, just say so.

I should also state that, just because your pony is Guild Master/Guild Adviser doesn't mean that they don't have freedom to take jobs. They can do as they please. They are simply in a leadership role and because of that have more duties than other regular members. (Description of Guild Master and Adviser are in the thread somewhere...)

About branches. This idea is great to, I don't have a problem with it and fully endorse it if people want it. So what would be some of the branches of the guild? I see and Alchemy Branch floating around and with Templar's Percival there could definitely be a Medical Branch, for offensive magic unicorns their could be a Offensive Branch and also a Defensive Branch for those who practice defensive magicks.

There also seems to be some disagreement about the guild name, well if you all have any other suggestions then, please, throw them out there.

About branches. This idea is great to, I don't have a problem with it and fully endorse it if people want it. So what would be some of the branches of the guild? I see and Alchemy Branch floating around and with Templar's Percival there could definitely be a Medical Branch, for offensive magic unicorns their could be a Offensive Branch and also a Defensive Branch for those who practice defensive magicks.

On the branches i had put a bit of though into that a little earlier in my free time.

here's what i came up with:

as of right now there would be eight main branches.

1. elemental/destruction/chaos magic: this would be any magic that focuses on the raw power of the elements most commonly as offensive magic.
  2. alteration/augmentation/manipulation magic: this would be magic based around altering the physical properties of something either permanently or temporarily.
  3. conjuration/summoning magic: the formation of some physical aparation either as an inanimate object, an extension of ones body [false wings, ect.], or a minion/creature.
  4. restoration/healing magic: magic based around replenishing the weak and defensive magics such as shields and barriers.
  5. alchemy/herbology: the use of various naturally occur ingredient to create potions and other product that give a desired effect.
  6. illusionry/spychic/presdigitation: this branch covers the use of false imagery, and manipulation of ones mind to the extent of reading it or even imposing your will upon them.
  7. solar, lunar, and weather based magic: magic that involve the control of or gain their power from the sun/moon/elements.
  8. magical history: the study of historical events, famous people, and fundamental concepts relating to magic

I put some branches that didn't entirely limit to having a horn just to keep it balanced.

if we have a leader for each branch along with a guild master who would be responsible for leading and moderating council meetings I think that would be interesting.

As I mentioned earlier I would be more than happy to either offer my character as the guild master or a branch leader.

Just a note before we all go ahead with suggesting magic branches: I don't think having things like an offensive magic branch would fit the nature of Equestria (as always, RP Helpers would know more). Ponies are uncombative in nature, so I doubt any of them would know anything about offensive spells unless they were in the army. Plus there's the issue that Mane RP is not supposed to be all about combat and junk; adventures are fine and dandy, but the focus should always be on character interaction and interpersonal problem-solving at the end of the day.

To this end, I suggest that we avoid having branches that rely on combat/adventuring abilities, but rather we base them on functions that have practical applications in day-to-day situations. Try to think of services that normal ponies would want fulfilled, and base the branches off those needs. Healer members of the Guild will know healing magic and alchemy, scholars would know preservation enchantments that keep books from naturally withering away, metalsmiths and other craftsponies would know various other enchantment spells, "explorers" would have the skills (and dedication) to last out away from civilization, and so on. Point being: we may be a Magic Guild, but let's not get too wrapped up in the magicks at the expense of everything else. 8-)

PS: almost forgot about a Tutoring Branch. Ingrid Marie would SO be in charge of that. XD

Bellosh raises some excellent points. I definitely agree that we should refrain from trying to divide the guild up based on any kind offensive magic, and certainly not into schools that are so strictly focused on restrictive spell definitions. That kind of division revolves more around theory than practicality, which would be a great idea for a group of ponies who were strict scholars, but not so much if the organization is intended to be a little less rigid.

For what it's worth, I personally think the guild would function at its best if it was treated like an actual guild--a group of individuals with similar skills who've come together to support each other, organize and cultivate their trade (through finding and training apprentices, etc.) and, most importantly, provide services to ponies who would want them, as mentioned above. I earnestly think that a Council would be the best for handling something like that, since magic is an incredibly broad field that undoubtedly covers a formidable spectrum of vastly different specializations. A Guild Master would be ideal to keep things ordered overall, but each field would probably still need an experienced director to ensure that everything works smoothly at a finer level.

That said, it might yet be best to leave the departments pretty open-ended until we work out what would be in demand and what ponies we have who can fulfill that demand! I do really like the ideas of healing, enchantment and 'scholar' (there's probably a better name for that, haha) branches, but there's definitely room for more, like one featuring magical artifacts, or one focused around the magic associated with the seasons, plants, animals and so forth. Earth ponies and pegasi were canonically mentioned to have magic of their own, and if we are to include them, I think it's only fair to have a branch of the guild dedicated entirely to their magical talents, as well! (They'd be in other branches, too, of course.)

Whew, that was a lot of blathering. This is really exciting, though. I can't wait to see something like this become reality!

If we do go with the branches idea, Clockwise would be excellent at handling copious amounts of spellbooks. Alternately, if we have some really obscure branch that focuses on abstract magical theory, he'd be right at home there, too. :B

Is it too late to jump in on this? I'd love to create a new character for this, or perhaps use Sparks (though he isn't particularly good at magic, so I'll probably make a new character).

About concerns over the Guild name: it seems the big issue is that it sounds too much like a pony name. To spare the pain of having to come up with yet another name, would all you fine blokes be happy with "Spell Bounders" instead? :)

The branches thing seems kind of unneeded to me personally. I doubt this guild will be that big starting out, so most branches won't have a wealth of ponies to represent them. If the point of this is to get our characters together and working together in RP threads, dividing them out again into branches seems counter intuitive.

For an idea like this, I truly think it's going to work best the more simple and straightforward we keep things. I'd almost rather it just be a loose collective of characters, all bringing different things to the table, managed by just one or two leaders, as was in the initial plan. Some big organization system with branches and councils is fine and good, but for the sake of effectively driving RP, it just doesn't strike me as abundantly practical or necessary.

Hmm, those are some very good points! Naturally, no complicated structure would manifest itself in the guild's early days simply because it would be unnecessary from the perspective of the few starting characters, I'm sure. However, if the guild does become popular, some variety of order would be nice to have to encourage some kind of overarching dynamic between a large cast, and considering it OOC in advance isn't necessarily a bad thing. It could simply be too early to tell, of course, but I do enjoy speculation.

I am quite fond of the potential that would arrive from the group being tight-knit and every member being reasonably unique, perhaps each being a go-to pony for a specific thing. I'm not sure how well that would work if the guild were to get very large, but I am probably getting ahead of myself. Regardless, it's up to the characters in the end, and I don't think there's any way to tell what they'll do!

Just thought of character for this. I'm considering making a pony that keeps the Guild organized. Nothing like being the Guild leader, but like, a seconed in command. Doing everything in his/her power to keep everything running smoothly.

Keeping track of everypony and their skills, make some of them specific go-to ponies. Help forming small groups based on their level of synergy, personality, and skills. And assisting with just about anything else!!

I actually have a great character for this but he's not a unicorn...So now I make a new pony-sona :)

I know it's not necessary to be a unicorn but it would be easier to do things with magic.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give everyone here a heads-up, my character Moondancer is now approved. It shouldn't be too long now until LM's unicorn also gets approved; once that happens, the fun begins. :blush:

Hooray ^^ We should make a list on like, the first post or something, of all of the current guild members with links to the apps.. Idk about you guys, but I would like to see who's in it C:

Hooray ^^ We should make a list on like, the first post or something, of all of the current guild members with links to the apps.. Idk about you guys, but I would like to see who's in it C:

Its already there :)

• Like 1

Now is Upper Crust being played by anyone? Or is she an NPC?

Upper Crust was to be Fermata, but she is taking a break from RP, so she dropped Upper Crust.

---------------------------

On to other matters... Just to let everyone know, I'm temporarily deactivating Trekker to add in a companion animal. Hopefully it won't take too long to get reaccepted.

Oh goodness I feel silly! Thank you for pointing that out Clair C:

No Problem!

Upper Crust was to be Fermata, but she is taking a break from RP, so she dropped Upper Crust.

---------------------------

On to other matters... Just to let everyone know, I'm temporarily deactivating Trekker to add in a companion animal. Hopefully it won't take too long to get reaccepted.

Alright, I'll remove her from the list. Thanks for the update on that!

We'll be waiting for Trekker to come back,

No Problem!

Alright, I'll remove her from the list. Thanks for the update on that!

We'll be waiting for Trekker to come back,

No problem! I remember seeing her post in the planned activity thread! Hopefully she'll come back and can do Upper Crust again.

Well right now, she is ready and waiting for re-evaluation. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Edit: And it looks like it was re-accepted without my knowing! Or it was thrown back into accepted for no reason...