How long will the FANDOM last?

It's the last episode of the last season of FiM, it's done, no more new ponies.

How long do you think the fandom will last after that? Will it be like the Star Wars and Star Trek fandom, where it'll soldier on? Will it be like the Harry Potter or Matrix fandoms that died as soon as the last movie was produced?

I think the fandom will soldier on, many people will leave, but I think sites like FiMFIction. Derpibooru and (hopefully) this one will stay up to cater to the fandom long after the show ends.

• Like 1

After FiM, I bet there would be a come back if they did a different MLP Hopeful bronies/avid fans would want to see how awesome the next version would turn out... Or something like that....

The fandom however.... might die. Not sure for how long but I can see it would.

After FiM, I bet there would be a come back if they did a different MLP Hopeful bronies/avid fans would want to see how awesome the next version would turn out... Or something like that....

The fandom however.... might die. Not sure for how long but I can see it would.

I dunno, the fandom was created in /co/ which is part of the 4chan website. I could see a fandom forged in the bowels of 4chan surviving.

I think this fandom will have longevity. There's too much creativity in it for it to just fizzle out completely.

And of course, as I was saying in the other thread, we've helped to rejuvenate this core property of Hasbro in ways that they couldn't have anticipated. The end of FIM is not the same as the end of MLP, and Hasbro I think would see it in its best interests to repeat that success and not move backwards. Pony fandom might live on into whatever G5 is.

• Like 5

Assuming this fanbase remains as dedicated as the original-era Star Trek fandom, it can probably last indefinitely as long as MLP remains a moneymaking property of Hasbro's.

um guys didn't Hasbro already say they are making a season 4? So it isn't like the series is ending just going onto a seasonal break. (Unless I have miss read somewhere)

Wilgrove is placing this in the future tense.

Fandom will slow down, but will last as long as Applejack's kicking out with hind-legs skills!

"It will be remembered forever!.... as long as there are people to remember it."

Harry Potter and The Matrix lacked the creativity of the FiM fanbase, hence there fall into obscurity. But anyway, Phil already got to what I think about its longevity xD

Actually, Harry Potter fandom had scads of creative people. The reason it's dying is that those same creative people felt betrayed by the later books. They'd signed up for school adventures in a fantastic and not too serious world (heck, the Dursley's set the tone, they're right out of a Roal Dahl story) and then sudden;ly it was no longer about the magic or the humour, it was a deadly serious war in a crapsack world where anyone could betray anyone, and a casualty count straight out of a slasher movie. Not only that, but everybody suddenly seemed to be hugging the idiot ball so hard they left hand imprints. It was like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory suddenly morphed into a Dan Murphy thriller half way through, with the Templars trying to steal Willy Wonka's secret recipes. Actually, that might be quite good fun.

So the creatives bailed, and you were left with a fandom comprised almost entirely of 14 year old girls who either wanted to have Harry, wanted to have Draco, or wanted to see Draco have Harry. Well maybe not quite, but it's not surprising that such a huge proportion of HP fic nowerdays is time travel 'Fix right what once went wrong' stories or AUs in which the characters weren't such failures.

Can you tell this is something of a personal experience? Bitter? No I'm not bitter. ~ Does a convincing impression of Liarjack ~

• Like 3

Actually, Harry Potter fandom had scads of creative people. The reason it's dying is that those same creative people felt betrayed by the later books. They'd signed up for school adventures in a fantastic and not too serious world (heck, the Dursley's set the tone, they're right out of a Roal Dahl story) and then sudden;ly it was no longer about the magic or the humour, it was a deadly serious war in a crapsack world where anyone could betray anyone, and a casualty count straight out of a slasher movie. Not only that, but everybody suddenly seemed to be hugging the idiot ball so hard they left hand imprints. It was like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory suddenly morphed into a Dan Murphy thriller half way through, with the Templars trying to steal Willy Wonka's secret recipes. Actually, that might be quite good fun.

So the creatives bailed, and you were left with a fandom comprised almost entirely of 14 year old girls who either wanted to have Harry, wanted to have Draco, or wanted to see Draco have Harry. Well maybe not quite, but it's not surprising that such a huge proportion of HP fic nowerdays is time travel 'Fix right what once went wrong' stories or AUs in which the characters weren't such failures.

Can you tell this is something of a personal experience? Bitter? No I'm not bitter. ~ Does a convincing impression of Liarjack ~

We weep together my friend. I feel your pain.

Well, I know inevitably that FiM will end. MLp will not however as it, like Strawberry Shortcake, Transformers, and Littlest Pet Shop is one of the core shows. Even after the series no longer have any new episodes, there will still be reruns for a long time after and there will be products made.

As for the fandom, I'm sure there will be some that will leave, just as how some do now. What might decrease is the influx we've seen over the years. We might see the closure of several conventions too, relagating MLP to just a few. Some fan sites will go away, though I hope not the major ones like Fimfiction, Equestria Daily, and of course here at Canterlot.com.

But as long as there are those who still remember and love the show, the fandom will never die. Instead it will carry over to the next incarnation of MLP. Furthermore, we have as bronies changed the way Hasbro has viewed the show from one that was geared just for little girls to one where everyone can enjoy no matter what gender or age. So, when the new season happens, Hasbro will be once again looking for the bronies.

• Like 1

I think MLP's characters have a chance at becoming like the Warner Brother's characters. Today we can still find Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Tazmanian Devil, Yosamiti Sam, Sylvester, Tweety, etc., in the form of merchandise, logos, and branding. It's because that generation was pretty influential in cartoons and made a lasting image.

I see MLPFiM doing the same thing. Though, they still have a while to go before their characters become more prevalent, these ponies could easily be attached to this generation until the end of time. Whenever my friend asks me when I wont like ponies anymore, I always tell them, "Oh, I may leave the fandom to move on with my life, but I will never stop liking ponies."

• Like 2

I'm not sure if the Mane 6 will have the same impact in animation history like the classic characters of the early-mid 20th century, but I'd sure love to see that happen someday. :)

There is little doubt in my mind we will carry on. Our community could be considered the minority, but like i say before. Many people take stick for it, and i doubt we'll just blow over.

There may be a day where we are no more, but today is not that day!

(Internet cookie and hug for those who reconise the quote)

I see two possibilities.

One (the depressing possibility): Once the show gets cancelled (or plays one bad episode too many) fans will start to think it was all just a flavour-of-the-month thing and get sick of it, abandoning the show and all things Pony in favour of, I dunno, more episodes of Family Guy or something.

Two (the hopeful possibility): The show will end, but that will somehow make the community stronger, the community will outlast the show that spawned it, and keep it alive in fanworks.

I think two is very likely. Shows this influential don't die. Think of any old cartoon, look on the internet and chances are, there's a hefty fanbase for it. I don't see why MLP would be any different.

WHETHER THIS FANDOM DIES OR NOT IS ENTIRELY UP TO US BUT I BELIVE WE WILL GO ON FOREVER THIS FANDOM HAS BEEN THROUGH CHALLENGE AFTER CHALLENGE AND IS STILL HERE SO I DOUBT THE END OF G4 SERIES WILL SHUT US DOWN IF ONE OF US STILL STANDS THEN SO DOES THE FANDOM WERE ALWAYS GONA BE HERE WE SURVIVED THE BLOW WHEN THEY CHANGED DERPY'S VOICE AND AND EYE'S PEOPLE SAID THAT WAS THE LAST OF US BUT NO WE DIDN'T LET IT END CAUSE NO MATTER WHAT TO US DERPY'S ALWAYS GONA BE DERPY AND LETS OF COURSE NOT FORGET WE SURVIVED OUR FIRST BATTLE AT 4CHAN SO THE END OF G4 IS JUST ANOTHER CHALLENGE FOR THE FANDOM THAT WE WILL GET THROUGH AS LONG AS WE TAKE IT HEAD ON TOGETHER AS WE ALWAYS HAVE IF WE DO THAT NOTHING CAN STOP US LOVE AND TOLERANCE FOREVER KEEP CALM AND PONY ON FANDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I logged in just to post in this topic, so I hope you guys can take the time to read it thuroghly.

The FiM fanbase is based around creativity, we've all established that. Given the circumstances before us as presented in this topic, the show ending is indeed a very, very bad situation for the fandom.

To put it into perspective; once there are n new episodes, there's no new content to base anything around. No new music involving the show, no new original PMVs, no new art. (We can keep creating what we have now, but no new show characters, places, etc.) And these are the foreunners; there's plenty more harm the show ending can do. Without new content being produced, the only thing that potentially "holds the fandom together" for a long duration of time is fanfiction.

And while I know it's very strong right now, it will get very old quickly Based off the premise of everything else that would die. No new characters, places, you get the idea..

So for a few years, at least, the fandom would hold its' own. But after that, I don't see it living for much longer. This, however, is given that Hasbro does not make a new generation (unlikely) or the new generation does not live up to the expectations of the current fandom (more likely.)

To run a simple experient, try this:

During the season break right now, pay attention to the music, fanfictions, art, and PMVs produced, and displayed on EqD. You'll notice a very obvious consistancy. Mainly centered aruond [colour=#ffffff]Twilight becoming an alicorn.[/colour]So keep an eye out for that.

I may not be right, but in these circumstances, there's not much else left but the creative ability these episodes provide to the "creators."

Bt hey, that's just my two cents.

This fandom will survive for I am part of it and my track record with fandoms is splendid.

We're far too creative to die. It will simmer down, but as long as Hasbro doesn't do something monumentally stupid, it will survive.