Strange things you notice

http://en.wikipedia....onfidence_trick

From the above article

Vulnerability to confidence tricks

Confidence tricks exploit typical human characteristics such as greed, dishonesty, vanity, honesty, compassion, credulity, irresponsibility, desperation and naïveté. As such, there is no consistent profile of a confidence trick victim, the common factor is simply that the victim relies on the good faith of the con artist. Victims of investment scams tend to show an incautious level of greed and gullibility, and many con artists target the elderly, but even alert and educated people may be taken in by other forms of confidence trick.[2]

Shills, also known as accomplices, help manipulate the mark into accepting the con man's plan. In a traditional confidence trick, the mark is led to believe that he will be able to win money or some other prize by doing some task. The accomplices may pretend to be strangers who have benefited from performing the task in the past.

A greedy or dishonest mark may attempt to out-cheat the con artist, only to discover that he or she has been manipulated into losing from the very beginning.

Yup, tricked into accepting the con man's plan. Seems like what happened here. Though there wasn't anything to gain, except more cider and the town's confidence. Which honestly, to the Apples is worth its weight in gold, as they were hell bent on demonstrating their ability as cider makers as well as INTEGRITY. They had more to lose though, but that is the point of a con, to bring the mark into a disadvantageous deal.

Form the link

A confidence trick is an attempt to defraud a person or group by gaining their confidence. A confidence artist is an individual operating alone or in concert with others who exploits characteristics of the human psyche such as dishonesty and honesty, vanity, compassion, credulity, irresponsibility, naivety and greed.

There was no fraud. Flim and Flam were straight up with everything they said. They never tried to deceive and in fact offered an unfair but legitimate business deal. They even stopped selling cider made by the Apple family without legal action having to be taken. The show wanted them to be con artists but failed to make them so

Form the link

There was no fraud. Flim and Flam were straight up with everything they said. They never tried to deceive and in fact offered an unfair but legitimate business deal. They even stopped selling cider made by the Apple family without legal action having to be taken. The show wanted them to be con artists but failed to make them so

Except that they weren't. Up front would have been meeting the apples in confidence instead of bringing in crowd mentality, forcing the Apples hand in the entire matter. Again, this is one form of con that involved a scheme to steal the Apples farm. It is indeed a con.

and them not selling the cider was a post of their scheme, because it again, brought the crowd into it. They used the crowd as a part of their scheme. That is in no way up front.

Also... Fraud: deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or ,to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage.

They were upfroant. They never tried to fool anybody. The business they had may have been sketchy but it wasn't fraud.

Fraud does not need to be deceitful. It does have to result in an unfair advantage of the party doing the defrauding though. They used "sharp practice" to garner an "unfair advantage" in a contest that would gain them a farm, which is profit.

Haha one day I'll be a pony fan long enough to catch all the mistakes!

I know how you feel, with the exception of errors involving Dash, I usually miss 95% of the stuff unless it's blatantly obvious.

Fraud does not need to be deceitful. It does have to result in an unfair advantage of the party doing the defrauding though. They used "sharp practice" to garner an "unfair advantage" in a contest that would gain them a farm, which is profit.

They didn't really seak out an unfair advantage in the contest however. In fact they gave the Apples the advantage by allowing them to use extra help

They didn't really seak out an unfair advantage in the contest however. In fact they gave the Apples the advantage by allowing them to use extra help

Sure they were over-confidant and made a mistake.

But that doesn't mean they weren't sheisty. They used emotion, speed, pride, and the crowd against the family to force them into a ridiculous contest for which there was little to gain and much to lose.

I was watching Cutie mark Chronicles with a couple of kids and their dad wantered over at the beginning and watched the whole thing with us. When they got to the Manehattan scenes, the dad laughed at a line, and it wasn't until he laughed that I got the joke:

"I'm so hungry I could eat a...<gasp>!"

AJ is a cannibal! Don't get stuck with her on a deserted island!

I can't think of a single animation error that I found on my own. Do you guys actively look for them, or do you just notice?

I think some things are obvious on multiple viewings, others are related to "I really like charcter X so I'm paying more attention to them and notice" (such as the case with me and Dash - I notice probably 3x or 4x as many errors involving her as I do with the other characters)

I am suck at embedding but if you watch episode 2, series one (Elements of harmony) you will see why Twilight had such trouble finding the Elements book. After Pinkie's 'It was under Eeeee!' part, you see Twilight drawing the book from the shelf towards the mane 6 in the background...

The spine is towards the camera, meaning it was in the bookshelf spine first.

How did Pinkie realise which book it was from looking at a bunch of closed pages though?

Was just re-watching cutie mark chronicles, and I noticed that during twilight's test, spike's egg is lavender with purple spots, but in the pilot, he states that he hatched from a purple and green egg.

This is true, but let's face it, most people don't remember the day they were born all that well :P

Something I just noticed this morning while watching "May The Best Pet Win" was that right after Rainbow Dash gets stuck on the rock, she starts talking to herself. Right before she goes into the realization she could be trapped forever, a very odd sound effect plays at one point while she freaks out about being stuck.

Upon doing some editing and checking, it turns out it's a very high-pitched, fast, comedic scream. It's much like the ones they'd use in Ed, Edd, n Eddy (Which makes sense, considering Wootie was a big part of the EEnE crew). It honestly made me laugh, but you REALLY need to listen for it. I've never noticed it until now, and the episode came out in November...

Great episode. You learn that Twilight will never qualify to be Rainbow's 'pet'. :kissy::-|

That's because in Dash's mind, Soarin already fills that role :blah:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...