Official Discussion Thread - S04E16 It Ain't Easy Being Breezies

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what? As for the toy above, so what? I mean c'mon, this whole show's purpose is to sell toys. As much as we love it; as much as the characters worked their ways into our hearts with their great personalities and adorableness; as much as the writing has gone above and beyond; as much as the animation, the voice acting, and comics are amazing; it is there so Hasbro can sell toys. Canterlot Wedding that we loved? Specifically for toy selling a princess. Alicorn Twilight? Ditto. This whole season with the quest to unlock the mystery box... We know it is to sell rainbow power ponies, no matter how good the story may be. So why are people upset that "breezies are there just to sell toys"?

Because it didn't do a very good job at it. Those other episode were awesome. After Canterlot Wedding, I really bought into the wedding idea and Cadance in general. After Magical Mystery Cure, I bought into the idea of Twilicorn fully despite initially having a lot of resistance toward the idea. I'd buy Twilicorn or Cadance (I have a little Cadance and Shining Armor actually) stuff but I certainly don't care to start picking up breezy merch. I mean, either way I'm fully aware I'm not the target audience they're selling to, but there really is a difference; if we want to look at the episodes as 22 minute commercials for pony toys, it's still a matter of really well made, clever and entertaining commercials vs something a lot slower paced, less fun and more obvious.

Sure it's all driven by money and merchandise. Of course it is and I have no problems with that nor would I ever pretend it isn't. I just hope to be entertained along with all that. When it's fun and interesting, it becomes more than just advertisement. A really effective commercial can make you forget you're being sold something, while an ineffective commercial bores and annoys. Which is why what it's selling probably sticks out more too, especially with it ending as it did. Why have the mane six transform at all if not to just have these breezy forms of theirs that they can sell at a later date? I realize that I'm being cynical, and I do understand that this episode connected with some people and I respect that; for me though, it just offered me very little.

So finally I've watched it enough times to give my thoughts on this... And considering that the 24h embargo on spoilers is over I'll just continue on as per usual.

SO! I didn't like it. It was very cute, and had a very good lesson, but it got muddied up in poor story telling. It was essentially an episode of cute designed to be cute, and that never works for me.

So lets begin! First we are basically told at length how fragile the Breezies are. Ok, that's fine, though they go a bit too far with that Rarity scene though. Though I suppose they did that to establish exactly how protective Fluttershy was of them (also the accusing Twilight was probably one of the few entertaining moments (along with the end of the episode)). But here is what bothers me, and I stated this before... The Breezie magic is protective magic... for their cargo... and only their cargo. Now if they were robust enough to not be completely messed up by a leaf, that would be fine, but not having protection magic for themselves as well seems silly. That is like having a shield on the inside of a ship that could be destroyed by an ice cube (a literal ice cube, not an iceberg). It doesn't matter how well protected something is if the thing carrying it can't make it to the destination.

But let's forgo that... Then we have Flutters save them and wanting to protect them after their traumatic experience. They all seem to be annoyed at Spike... So at that point why wouldn't they want to get back to it immediately? Did they see the kindness of Flutters and thus wanted to stay because of that? If so, I kinda dislike the Breezies seen on the principle that they were all trying to take advantage of Flutter's kindness (which might have been another point of the episode, which would be you shouldn't give into people trying to take advantage of you, but that ties back into previous FS episodes and again annoys me slightly, but it took me multiple rewatches to come to that conclusion so I give it a pass). Sea Breeze had legitimate reason to be annoyed. He wants to go home and they are preventing him from doing so.

Now this is where the real problems begin, because each sequence with the Breezies after that point was basically the same thing. Sea Breeze yelling at them, FS protecting them, and the rest of the Breezies doing something to make FS want to help them. This makes me think even more that they were manipulating her. The nail in the coffin was the last time where they started coughing and pretending to be sick. Clearly they knew what they were doing and they knew that FS would take pity on them. So we come back to "Flutters is nice and can be walked all over." Granted they did it more subtly than ever before, but it is STILL the same thing. This is basically a softer version of Putting Your Hoof Down. Being too nice is not good, being firm to the point of mean is no good, middle ground is the only way. The difference? Putting Your Hoof Down, was to me, the more entertaining episode.

Then we have the bee scene. Random bee suit? Really? But this is the realization scene. Every key episode has one and this is par for the course. These scenes tend to be decent, and this would have been better without the bee suit, since she, ya know, can communicate with them. The bee suit was likely supposed to be a visual gag that just fell flat. Then we have the resolution to the problem.

And here is where I have a problem again. They can't ride the breeze...why? I don't know! Sea Breeze was able to ride a breeze (albeit poorly) solo! Now they can't get off the ground without more forcing a random transformation of the mane 6 into Breezies? This would have been fine if they hadn't established MINUTES before that a single Breezie could ride a bloody breeze. But you know what? I get it... sell more toys... fine. But still they shouldn't have had Sea Breeze riding a breeze, they should have thought of another way to get him into a dangerous predicament. Maybe trying to take a ground route and being caught by a spider? That would have worked without establishing that a single Breezie could ride a breeze.

Then the end had another gem of a line with Dash wanting to be a Griffon and a Dragon.

So overall what we have is another, better masked, Fluttershy episode, of her overcoming a character flaw that she had dealt with before, just in a new way. The episode wasn't bad, so much as boring. For me entertainment is paramount, and much like Rainbow Falls, this just didn't entertain me. But on the same token it also didn't annoy me (like Rainbow Falls and Mysterious Mare Do Well). So I'm not sure if I can exactly place it lower than those two by my standards. This wasn't an amazing episode but it wasn't a fantastic episode either. It was a generally "meh" episode for me. I just don't feel anything either way. Honestly I want to rate it, but I've never really had an episode that I've genuinely felt nothing significantly positive or negative towards. I suppose that is the definition of a 5/10, but even that feels too high, but I also can't go lower because after subsequent watches it wasn't AS bad as I first thought it to be.

PS: Yes, to me, in Equestria, the Breezies are essentially useless and add nothing substantial to the lore.

I actually like this episode finally sparked some quality episode debate! Differing opinions! I'm in heaven!

I think Cadance gets a different card because she was presented differently, her story was built up, then subsequently used in other episodes. We've seen her many times since then, so she doesn't seem like a cantrip to push toys. She's integral to the world as a main character of the story.

The Breezies seemed like more of a one-and-done toy push, which is just as well. I want Hasbro to make episodes like this -- not because they're terrible, but they're fertilizing the land so the property remains active (per its intended purpose: to sell products!) so we will get more quality episodes down the line. It's always been a necessary evil. It stinks, as it would be nice to have all episodes be awesome, but that's not the reality. It's a business intended to make Hasbro lots of money, and they'll milk it for all it's worth. For now we're getting Breezies until the lock box/Rainbow Power climax is thrust in front of us in several months.

I can't help but think if Lauren Faust thought this far ahead when she decided to disembark from working on this series. She knew this isn't a project she could maintain creative influence on, or a way to keep her quality or integrity. Where would it be now if she was still developing it?

the only part that i especially liked in this one is with Dash wanting to be a griffon and a dragon. it was all just (quoting "let's Go And Meet The Bronies") falling a BIT into the really girly sterotype. yes i spelt it wrong, no i don't care. i mean you couldn't even tell SeaBreeze was a guy. The pacing wasn't that good either, but this isn't my least favorite episode (that prize goes to Filli Vanilli.) of this season but it definately isn't high on my list

4/10

Watch the episode again. They started out with a strong breeze and had to slow it down because at that strength the breezies could be hurt. They, as a group, can only seem to handle light breezes or at least breezes of certain strength. Again seems silly that the thing that gives them their protection magic for their cargo can also harm or kill them.

The other thing that bothered me was why was Sea Breeze able to ride a breeze solo but as a group there wasn't enough of them? Even though he wasn't able to ride it well he was able to get airborne.

As a whole the Breezies could handle the breeze made by the pegasi. The smaller group was not able to handle the same breeze the larger group could. Sea Breeze was able to handle a natural breeze, not one that was made by the pegasi. He also could be a stronger flyer, if I remember correctly he didn't actually get stopped by the leaf, he went back to help the other breezies.

Now this is where the real problems begin, because each sequence with the Breezies after that point was basically the same thing. Sea Breeze yelling at them, FS protecting them, and the rest of the Breezies doing something to make FS want to help them. This makes me think even more that they were manipulating her. The nail in the coffin was the last time where they started coughing and pretending to be sick. Clearly they knew what they were doing and they knew that FS would take pity on them. So we come back to "Flutters is nice and can be walked all over." Granted they did it more subtly than ever before, but it is STILL the same thing. This is basically a softer version of Putting Your Hoof Down. Being too nice is not good, being firm to the point of mean is no good, middle ground is the only way. The difference? Putting Your Hoof Down, was to me, the more entertaining episode.

The breezies were being a bit manipulative but they had just almost died so its understandable why they would be reluctant to try again. There is a clear different between this and Putting Your Hoof Down because Fluttershy, even if she was buying into their ruse, was offering the breezies a place to live. She wasn't being forced into anything she offered it to them and was happy to offer it to them. The problem came from her doing what was nice not what was good for them.

As a whole the Breezies could handle the breeze made by the pegasi. The smaller group was not able to handle the same breeze the larger group could. Sea Breeze was able to handle a natural breeze, not one that was made by the pegasi. He also could be a stronger flyer, if I remember correctly he didn't actually get stopped by the leaf, he went back to help the other breezies.

The breezies were being a bit manipulative but they had just almost died so its understandable why they would be reluctant to try again. There is a clear different between this and Putting Your Hoof Down because Fluttershy, even if she was buying into their ruse, was offering the breezies a place to live. She wasn't being forced into anything she offered it to them and was happy to offer it to them. The problem came from her doing what was nice not what was good for them.

Again, watch the beginning of the episode. They made it a point to SLOW DOWN THE BREEZE to not hurt the Breezies. The exact quote was "That's TOO strong. We gotta slow this breeze down or we're going to blow those Breezies apart," straight from Dashie. This is in the very beginning of the episode before the Breezies even showed up. Basically establishing the thing that gives them magic can also hurt or kill them. That is a serious issue. Again their protection magic can only protect their cargo but not them is a bad thing. If they get caught in a strong breeze and get hurt, then the magic protecting their cargo will be for naught.

Yeah, they also know what is at stake. A leaf made them spin out wildly. So them staying is clearly a bigger issue (which they probably realized but FS failed to. Sea Breeze told her at the very end bluntly). They manipulated her, and again, the scene where they faked having a collective cold, showed that they knew what they were doing. They were clearly manipulating her. She told them they needed to go, otherwise they wouldn't make it back, they realized how kind she was and faked being sick. That is what made Sea Breeze go on his own. And it was only the first time she offered, every time after that they manipulated her kindness. (Again it was a reoccuring thing, Sea Breeze being mean, Breezies doing something to play on FS's Kindness, FS giving into them). Which is why I called it a softer version of Putting your Hoof Down. Same set up, different execution. And same basic overall moral. Which is to say that one needs to strike a balance between being mean and being nice. The difference is that the Breezies didn't respond to being mean like when FS was mean to ponies in Putting your Hoof Down. (I suppose Breezies aren't very good at being intimidating)

It was okay...

This was a very interestingly nice episode.

Irish accented Breezies(for me, anyways), delving more into Fluttershy's kindness, and the Breezies' existence.

Oh yeah and this...

INCOMING NEW OC CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!

I decided to give this episode another chance and rewatched it several times.

Overall, my opinion has not changed, however, I still think this episode is by far the worst of Season 4. Even watching it repeatedly did not 'fix' all of the plot weirdness going on here. The Breezies are just not the uber-cute creatures the writers were aiming for them to be. A lot of things just don't make sense about this episode, and still don't even after seeing it again and again. My low expectations for this ep has still not been met. However, I would be willing to upgrade my original score to a 2 out of 10. I tried, I honestly tired to like this episode, but I just can't make that stretch.

I think what would have made the episode stronger is that the Breezies came to Ponyville for protection from a storm. Say the Breezies do perfectly fine in normal winds but in storms with their high winds, rain, and possible debris it would be dangerous, even fatal for them and their cargo. Add the added fact the storm migrated from the Everfree (since it is so close) and not of pegasai making and thus, initially, one out of pony control. The Breezies hide in Ponyville until the pegasai disperse the storm. The majority are fine to continue their journey, but some, either slightly injury or just have the jitters after their experience, decide to take advantage of Fluttershy's kindness. Sea Breeze could be the same in this situation, pointing out the storm is gone and they have to get home, but some are just now too scared and manipulate Fluttershy out of fear.

I think what would have made the episode stronger is that the Breezies came to Ponyville for protection from a storm. Say the Breezies do perfectly fine in normal winds but in storms with their high winds, rain, and possible debris it would be dangerous, even fatal for them and their cargo. Add the added fact the storm migrated from the Everfree (since it is so close) and not of pegasai making and thus, initially, one out of pony control. The Breezies hide in Ponyville until the pegasai disperse the storm. The majority are fine to continue their journey, but some, either slightly injury or just have the jitters after their experience, decide to take advantage of Fluttershy's kindness. Sea Breeze could be the same in this situation, pointing out the storm is gone and they have to get home, but some are just now too scared and manipulate Fluttershy out of fear.

That would be a big improvement in my opinion. I liked Sea Breeze as a character, but making him the only likable breezie really dampened my view on breezies as a whole. This way, they would've been more individualized. And maybe after Fluttershy realized she was being manipulated, she could help the breezies learn how to face their fears as a way of showcasing her growth and development in the show.

Took me a long time for me to watch this one, well, we can't always blame Spike when he was neglected when he wants to see those Breezies too.

It really touch my heart a bit about Seabreeze, at least the agony he been through was not dark compare to other movies I watch when a character ran away and ends up with lots of obstacles that can be almost near death, this episode isn't that much due to its kid-friendly non-dark level restriction.

Anyway, although Cudpug at DA gave it a D, to me I said it's a C. The more demanding breezies don't remind me of the sprites I used to remember when I watch the 90s cartoon, Aladdin. Those sprites are playful and they want their playfulness to be endless. Breezies are definitely not the sprites like I remembered, it's just they're afraid of Seabreeze. I gotta say, they will not feel happy as long as being mean and a jerk makes things not gonna go anywhere. Even a simple school project will stall when bad attitude from anybody gets in the way. We all know that moral not just in school, but in college too.

Archived