Fanfics anyone?

Starfox64x

I haven't noticed anyone posting anything about Fanfics, ones that they like or ones that they themselves have written.

I've read a couple of fanfics, but nothing to really write home about, couple of romance things, couple of adventures, but again, nothing that was super amazing of awesome... I understand that Fallout Equestris is super amazingly awesome, considering that EQD seems to post a new update on it like... EVERY day... but i'm not much into Fallout, so i havent taken the time to look at it. Then there's A cross and arrow or something... i think i started it but it didnt keep me hooked long... I dunno, maybe i should go back to give it another shot.

As for my own writings, i wrote one, and writing another... i dont know how good they would be considered though....

But anyway, anyone else have any comments on fanfics? got any favorites? or are you writing any?

*sigh* I really should write a fanfic. I used to write so much, practically several chapters a day. Now-a-days, I rarely write at all. Maybe it's the change of subject, or lack of a muse, I don't know. I would really like to write something fantastic once again.

Now on the subject of fan fics that I've read, well then lord knows I've read thousands, when you limit it to just MLP it's still in the hundreds. lol

The Colour You Bleed is a rather nice one! http://www.fimfiction.net/story/1052/The-Colour-You-Bleed

The Discarded Son is also a fine tale, even if it may seem a little touchy with the subject matter to certain ponies. http://www.fimfiction.net/story/5151/1/The-Discarded-Son/The-Discarded-Son

Shameless self-promotion time! I'm also plugging this in my signature. :Phttp://www.fimfiction.net/story/4656/Anthropology

This is the first serious fanfic I've written - "serious" meaning it's not about Jesus teaming up with an anime character to fight Hitler - and it's doing fairly well.

I do find it difficult to find fanfics I want to read, though. I'm not a fan of all the grimdark stuff that's popular in this fandom. There are far too many stories about ponies going to war that just don't make any sense within the context of the show.

So yeah, any recommendations for stories with original flavor - send them this way.

I've read a few I liked...

*My Little Dashie - Most powerful story I've read in a log time, professional or not, uses countless literary techniques. Be ready to cry because you will at LEAST once. Complete.

*A Future Worth Saving - one of my favorites, it's incomplete (and no updates since early November...) Very serious and fairly dark. INCOMPLETE

*Wingmares - Adorable story about Dash meeting fluttershy at flying school. Touching but not sad, *very* light shipping. complete.

*A Question of Protocol - Hilarious story about Spike and Twilight, very light and funny. INCOMPLETE

*The Secret - Dash has been keeping a secret she's scared will make everyone hate her if they find out. Of course they find out. Very nice and "episode like" with some amusing moments. Complete.

Currently Reading:

*Mare Incognitum - Dash and Fluttershy get transported far from equestria and have to make their way back. 3-parter, complete.

Planning to read:

*Progress - Luna after her 1K years on the moon (I know it's not canon but it sounds funny) INCOMPLETE

*Fallout: Equestria - A desolate future, very grimdark. complete.

*sigh* I really should write a fanfic. I used to write so much, practically several chapters a day. Now-a-days, I rarely write at all. Maybe it's the change of subject, or lack of a muse, I don't know. I would really like to write something fantastic once again.

This. I have a folder of old (non-MLP) fanfics I wrote, many of them >100 pages, and quite a few thrown together in days... but lately I've been struggeling with my own (MLP) fics. Of course part of it may simply be that I hate writing the first chapter. I may try a cold opening on the next one to aleviate the problem and see if it helps. (that is a "Our story already in progress" where the "Start" is told through dialog or flashbacks)

That being said, I'm working on 4 with 3 more pending:

Writing:

*The Spectrum of Magic - This is discussed here in the writing area under "Thoughts on a far fetched idea?" it completely redefines Equestria history and rewrites the rules of magic.

*Symphony of Chaos - my main Fanon, a series of stories following my personal favorite villains as they attempt to gain revenge. The first one "Nightmares" has each of the mane 6's dreams come true... with consequences... and the 2nd has one member of the team... start acting strange... (dont want to spoil it).

*Obcession - Grimdark, (R-rated for violence and disturbing content.) Scootaloo continues stalking Dash and it takes it's toll on the filly's mind... things reach their inevitable conclusion...

Pending:

*You Only Grow Up Twice - Thanks to a mixup at Zecora's Dash is returned to a filly and is integrated back into ponyville filly society until they find a cure. When they find said cure, Dash has to decide wheather she wants to stay a filly with her new friends (and crush) or if she wants to grow back up and rejoin the Mane 6 and her current love.

*CMC To the Rescue! - The mane 6 have been captured and it's up to the CMC to rescue them and hopefully earn their heroship cutie marks in the process!

*Alternatives - 5/6 of the mane cast have been captured, only Dash escapes, she must round up another set of Elements to defeat the monster (Including the mysterious "Element of Redemption")

Before MLP:FiM, I never touched fanfics of anything I enjoyed. I was opposed to the idea, even. But then after season 1 ended, I was antsy and craving my ponies. So then I gave in and decided to give fanfics a chance. And now, I'm a total fanfic addict. I check Equestria Daily and FIMFiction many times every day, eagerly waiting for updates to my favorite stories. You can find a bunch of my favorites, as well as a couple of my own that I'm working on, here:

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Lloxie

Well to be honest, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to writing Fanfics (Meaning I've only written 3 :P)

The only real one I'm getting into is a series I called 'Strange New World', if anyone wants to have a look at it here's a link to chapter one:

https://docs.google....A9bU/edit?pli=1

Yeah I know it's shameless self promotion but meh, why not :D

Curiosity is getting the better of me and I think I could wrangle up the open-mindedness necessary to read a fanfic, but probably not more than one.

Could someone recommend one complete story of inviting length that is emotionally (rather than action) driven and friendship (rather than romantically) themed? It should feel authentic.

O how I hate fanfics. Nothing but some cliche storys with mary sue characters or the occasional shameful self-inserts. Or completely changing the mood and atmosphere of things there writing on to make it seem cool(Ex:Grimdark MLP FIM stories). And the shipping. OH!! The shipping I can go on about for centuries.

I for one do like fanfics, though I usually stay away from the grimdark ones.

Yeah, the shipping is pretty crazy, and many are kinda cliche, but some aren't that bad, and many fans do try hard when writing.

If a fanfic is well written, and isn't cliche and if the concept isn't crazy, I might give it a try.

Curiosity is getting the better of me and I think I could wrangle up the open-mindedness necessary to read a fanfic, but probably not more than one.

Could someone recommend one complete story of inviting length that is emotionally (rather than action) driven and friendship (rather than romantically) themed? It should feel authentic.

My Little Dashie. Absolutely, undeniably a work of art. If you only read one fanfic, read that one.

I don't particularly hunt fanfics out and haven't looked much into FiM ones. Curiosity got the better of me to read Cupcakes after reading warnings not to all over, lol. Oddly enough I liked it and ended up reading Rocket to Insanity as well, seeing that it seemed to be considered the best sequel to it. Cupcakes was something different but shocking enough for a good thrill the first time around, I guess. The author of Rocket to Insanity did an amazing job on Dash's psyche. I felt he/she could have done a bit more or maybe there was something else that could have been touched on - either way I felt something was missing but it was still good.

Otherwise no, I've never been particularly into fanfiction, but in FiM stuff seems to pop up that's pretty popular and then curiosity just gets the better of me (coincidence that's how I got into the show in the first place? xD). Speaking of, guess I'm going to have to check out this My Little Dashie one now, lol.

I do find it difficult to find fanfics I want to read, though. I'm not a fan of all the grimdark stuff that's popular in this fandom. There are far too many stories about ponies going to war that just don't make any sense within the context of the show.

So yeah, any recommendations for stories with original flavor - send them this way.

Well, since we don't allow super grimdark stories here on Canterlot.com, I'd suggest trying the Writing Discussion.

My fanfic entitled Worse Nights might be to your liking.

O how I hate (...) the occasional shameful self-inserts.

Preach it brother! (lol) I cant stand self-inserts, which is sad because one of the best story series I read back in the old StH Fandom was a self-insert series the author did (but he did it WELL and defined a race/civilization/history surrounding the character, so... I guess a lesser-self-insertion) I dont know why everyone in every fandom has the desire to do one or more of these, it's one in a million that are even readable, and still fewer that are good!

Well, since we don't allow super grimdark stories here on Canterlot.com, I'd suggest trying the Writing Discussion.

I'd like to suggest also the Equestria Daily Fanfiction archive. These are prepread by a dozen people and it's basically the best-of-the-best that gets posted there (as opposed to, for example, FIMfiction, which lets anyone post anything)

http://www.equestria...rch/label/Story

Keep in mind though there _ARE_ stories of every kind there from episode, to adventure, to grimdark to shipping. (but you can choose to sort the listing by either "sected tags present" or "without selected tags" (i.e. "show all with 'comedy' tag" and "show none with 'grimdark' tag")

I don't really read many fanfics. I read Cupcakes, but only because I felt that I had to read it, seeing as so many whine about it all the time. I've read Rainbow Factory, another fanfic that has a bad reputation, but I thought it was pretty good. It's no-where near as gory as Cupcakes, and it had a better story to it, and was a lot more suspense.

I've only read two fanfics in my day, but perhaps will read more in the future. I tend to like the lighthearted and humorous ones the best. I don't know if I myself will ever write a fic, but ideas have sprouted here and there.

My Little Dashie was mentioned already, and it's one that I've read. Highly recommended.

On a Cross and Arrow: When Twilight gathers the other five for a trip to Manehattan, her teleportation spell goes wrong. Intead, they're taken to a whole new dimension where everypony, including themselve, are genderbent. They try to stay hidden, for fear of meddling in a universe they don't belong in, but they're naturally drawn to their copies. Lighthearted, funny, and episode-like (to me). There is shipping, usually amongst the genderbends and the originals. Perhaps not everyones cup of tea, but I'd reccomend giving it a try.

I've got to admit I don't read a lot of fanfics unless I know the person really well and enjoy their writing style.

I never thought I'd write one about MLP - plenty on Yugioh - but something inside me just had to do this

http://www.canterlot...nt-free-by-cph/

I think I've got it out of my system now! :D

Oh lord, Chancellorpuddinghead wrote a fanfic... this ought to be interesting, hehehe

I've been trying to get some people to read my fanfic, but i'm not getting any responses or feedback and its really bugging me >_< I think EQD has me on their 'do no call' list or something, and FIMfanfic.net doesnt really have any repliers... One of my friends said he doesnt like fanfics but he really enjoyed it (until i teased him about what i did with rainbow dash and he skipped 3 chapters to makes sure i didnt do anything)

http://www.canterlot...r-over-the-sun/

I really wish someone else would read through it and let me know how it's going...

But as for what i read, mostly random shipping things... I like it, and its usually fun and funny. but as i said earlier, nothing that i can think of that really made an impact on my mind.

Oh lord, Chancellorpuddinghead wrote a fanfic... this ought to be interesting, hehehe

I've been trying to get some people to read my fanfic, but i'm not getting any responses or feedback and its really bugging me >_< I think EQD has me on their 'do no call' list or something, and FIMfanfic.net doesnt really have any repliers... One of my friends said he doesnt like fanfics but he really enjoyed it (until i teased him about what i did with rainbow dash and he skipped 3 chapters to makes sure i didnt do anything)

http://www.canterlot...r-over-the-sun/

I really wish someone else would read through it and let me know how it's going...

But as for what i read, mostly random shipping things... I like it, and its usually fun and funny. but as i said earlier, nothing that i can think of that really made an impact on my mind.

Oh cool well let's trade off - I'll go read yours now - and you read mine :D