Like I said, I'm not wanting to derail this topic with conservation debate, though I think your response is flawed, too, dear Weeshy. I never said that scientists shouldn't use resources in order to develop better, sustainable technology -- I'm simply stating that the modern US lifestyle is unsustainable and resource-consumption heavy, and we do so with the knowledge that we're causing great ecological unrest in doing so. Since people are not directly affected (right away) it's very easy to fall into the logic of "If I just do this one little thing, like throw away a plastic bag, it's not a big deal." Now times that by a billion, with everyone throwing away a bag, and it IS a big deal.

Back to my original point -- is doing something we know is destructive evil? Was the point of NMM plunging the world into eternal night and destroying photosynthesis as a result, evil? Don't our carbon emissions raise the global temperature, doing much the same thing -- not destroying photosynthesis, per se, but affecting the environment negatively through externalized -- and often forgotten and discarded -- costs of modern living?

Also lol at the flow of this thread.

Wedding> Flutterdash > Flutterdash > New Villain! > Flutterdash > Wedding > Flutterdash > NNM Debate > Flutterdash > Morales of Love Mind Control > Flutterdash > NMM > Conservation

I don't know Rose.

I'll admit that I have been a bit sharp in my recent posts. Sorry guys. My friends canceled a get together without telling me and I'm a little annoyed.

Not that that excuses anything.

It is pretty amazing how much of this thread is on topic after 25 pages of posts.

We were only lucky that Discord didn't destroy the world the first time around. After all, if he's truly about the random, it's only a matter of time before he flips a switch that can't be unflipped.

I'm have to disagree with you, Dessa. Discord has enough magic to unflip any switch.

How much magic? Can he make a rock so heavy even he can't lift it? And if not, why not? Should be a simple magic trick.

All it would take is for discord to make a switch unflippable to himself. He has the power to do this. And he just might, just to see what happens.

Can he make a rock so heavy even he can't lift it?

Yes. Magic is not logical.

All it would take is for discord to make a switch unflippable to himself. He has the power to do this. And he just might, just to see what happens.

Why would he? He would not knowing give up his power. After all, what fun would that be?

hi hi

Discord is not known for planning ahead, like when he let the Mane 6 friend him a second time.

People are pretty adaptable, but they're not infinitely adaptable. There have been civilizations in the past that have ended themselves due to unsustainable practices that, by the time they realized they were in trouble, it was too late to do anything about it. (Ancient Mesopotamia is full of examples of deforestation and ruined cropland.) I don't think the notion that the free market will eventually push people away from destructive habits will bring back any of the species that have gone extinct due to them. (Coral Reefs, which sustain ~25% of all marine species for example, are on track to become extinct by 2100) Maybe its just me, but I don't accept Diffusion of Responsibility as a very good excuse.

Also, I don't think that "He just made them miserable for all time, its not like he destroyed them." is a valid defense for Discord. That is hardly the bar I would set for good behavior. First off, its much more cruel from a suffering standpoint, and second of all it is still destroying the existence that they would have had alternatively. Is stealing 6 corn cakes that much worse than only stealing 2? Its still stealing either way.

The real question for Chrysalis is: at what point would she have been satisfied? "More than she had ever dreamed of" wasn't enough for her, so is there any reason to believe that she'd have stopped until she had consumed all the love in the entire world?

Chocolate contains a chemical called phenylethylamine, which is a naturally-occuring amphetamine that produces the feeling of being in love. I think Cadance's horn infused both lovers with a magical form of this substance.

Cadence's horn is CHOCOLATE. Lemme at her! :D

Chaos shares a lot with entropy. Entropy is hard to describe (and I'm still not sure I'm getting this right), but it's more or less energy that can't be put to use. Whenever a reaction occurs, entropy either stays the same, or it increases. Eventually, ALL the reactions will occur, and there won't be anything at all but entropy. It's like a slow slide into chaos, and there's nothing we can do to stop it because it's a fundamental law of physics.

Discord, in a way, represents the irreversible force, and might well accelerate it. I call that a jerk move.

Edit: Those of you more educated in physics than I, please feel free to correct my misconceptions here.

hi hi

In an ideal system, you could have a reaction where entropy stays the same, but realistically, its always going to be increasing with every reaction. (Also: see Heat Death of the Universe) I actually read one fanfic where the magical world of Equestria was situated in a pocket dimension that was a perpetual motion machine (i.e. no increasing entropy) and that the chaos of entropy was an invasive force that would eventually bring about the world's destruction.

I just had a blast of Fridge Logic...

We saw in 201-202 that only Celestia's horn can open the vault containing the Elements of Harmony...

...so what exactly were the mane 6 gonna do even if they had fought their way through the changelings? Failure was the only option!

I just had a blast of Fridge Logic...

We saw in 201-202 that only Celestia's horn can open the vault containing the Elements of Harmony...

...so what exactly were the mane 6 gonna do even if they had fought their way through the changelings? Failure was the only option!

I wondered that too. Maybe the Pegasi could have lifted Twilight Sparkle up to reach?

hi hi

I bet that after discord stole the Elements of Harmony, Princess Celestia changed the security on the vault. I don't think her "only I can open it," plan was made with disasters in mind, and the near disaster of Discord exposed the flaws in that plan pretty handily.

I'm curious if its "Only _I_ can open it" or "Only Royalty can open it" which would mean Twilight could open it, being the royal heir ;) ;P

I'm curious if its "Only _I_ can open it" or "Only Royalty can open it" which would mean Twilight could open it, being the royal heir ;-) ;P

I believe she said that its a spell that only she could break. Considering this is the case, I'm sure Celestia would be able to teach Twilight how to break it.

Twilight hasn't been declared an heir. True, she has royal relations now (although no royal blood since her family married in), but the declaration of an heir is often complicated. I'm guessing if Celestia fell, Luna would take over.

Yeah, being second in line with an immortal is kind of... yeah. I hope they explore the idea of Celestia going missing at some point, seeing how they kind of addressed what the princesses are actually doing in this episode.

Anyway, I finally found that picture that perfectly encapsulates the thought running through my head when we got the Cadance flashback from Twilight:

171331%20-%20artist%3Apeppersupreme%20cadance%20comic%20fluttershy%20rarity%20shining_armor%20twilight_sparkle.png

Probably been posted before, if so.. sorry. :I

• Like 3

So...

Who has been the best villan(s)?

The chaotic Discord?

The love stealing changlings?

The hydra?

Or Nightmare Moon?

Chrysalis by far. She sings, she plots and plans, and she has an army. Oh, and she is spy.

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned how to shoot highly destructive beams of powerful magic energy from my horn! I cannot wait till next season, to try them out again on the villian in next seasons opener. Oh and the wedding was nice too.

Your student, Twilight Sparkle

I did really enjoy the final episodes, and shining armor finally gave me a pony to relate too.

In fact the only part that actually bothered me was the very odd, commercial cut scenes with Tori Spelling. While I greatly enjoy cartoons, I do not tend to watch or know much of the mainstream real actors. So the only thing that went through my mind was "What in the world is this real person doing interacting with my pony time!" I would have perferred a animated character pony, doing the interview with the other animated ponies.

I guess it was some sort of commercial thing, attempting to increase public acceptance of her by association of the ponies? Funny thing is it probably wouldn't have bothered me at all. if it was Lauren doing it. She deserves it!