Does anyones Parents know they are a Brony?

Dash91

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My parents are well aware of me being a fan of this show. They are really weary of nourishing it by buying me shirts, toys or whatnot, so any of those I'll have to acquire myself.

First time I mentioned it was on my 16th birthday (last year), when I wanted my birthday cake to have something pertaining to MLP on it. They thought I was insincere in my desire, and said "no", laughingly. Soon enough, it was only my mom and sisters that discovered I had an actual appeal for the show, and I watched it a lot of my spare time, that they would usually expect me to waste away by gaming. My mother approached me, telling me sternly that she never wanted to catch me watching the show again. Disgruntled, but not discouraged, I continued watching the show in plain sight of everyone, and my mother soon began to tolerate it. I have never been showy with my appeal, so I suppose that's why she began losing concern for my eccentric interest.

I currently only have one toy: A Pinkie Pie figure that my friend's little sister gave to me, since she knows how much I like the show. It just sits on my dresser, mother doesn't seem to mind it. I do plan to have something memorable for my 17th birthday, and it's going to include something MLP, I will ensure it.

mlfw4389-dK9Cm.gif

Now THAT is am impressive feat for a parent! lol

My mom knows more about pony than she probably wants to. I was riding with my parents and my brothers down to a wedding, and we stopped at a truck stop. Mom went in for a snack, and came out with an activity box with G3 ponies on the outside. She grinned at us and said, giggling, "Since you three have been so good on this trip, I thought I would get you some coloring books as a reward!" (I'm 24, and my brothers are 21 and 18, for reference.) It was clear she knew that wasn't the version we liked and was just poking fun at us by acting like we were all six year olds, but it ended up being G4 when we opened up the box. Pleasant surprise!

My parents are well aware of me being a fan of this show. They are really weary of nourishing it by buying me shirts, toys or whatnot, so any of those I'll have to acquire myself.

Mine are similar. But I am 27 and live a thousand miles away, so not nourishing it takes the form of them saying stuff like "I wouldn't let your co-workers know about this". I did get them to watch fall weather friends though.

Just told my 2 nieces and nephew i'm a Brony and showed them the show, for a 5 yr old a 6 yr old and a 13 yr old, they were all disgusted and thought it was wrong for a grown man to watch the show, but i don't care we all have our own opinion

I brought it up with my foster mother. I brought it up by telling her to look up the definition of a brony...I still regret that. She quite obviously found the "Faux" News definition. Even though she laughed and read that "Bronies are 30 year old grown men who stay home and watch My Little Pony", she still seemed to accept that I was a brony. I have yet to tell her I'm not gay, which is what she most likely think I am.

Just told my 2 nieces and nephew i'm a Brony and showed them the show, for a 5 yr old a 6 yr old and a 13 yr old, they were all disgusted and thought it was wrong for a grown man to watch the show, but i don't care we all have our own opinion

That's great you were able to introduce the show to the target audience -- I bet they liked it, they just felt awkward having it presented to them by their Uncle and reacted that way. Or maybe they didn't like it -- I have to concede that's possible!

I brought it up with my foster mother. I brought it up by telling her to look up the definition of a brony...I still regret that. She quite obviously found the "Faux" News definition. Even though she laughed and read that "Bronies are 30 year old grown men who stay home and watch My Little Pony", she still seemed to accept that I was a brony. I have yet to tell her I'm not gay, which is what she most likely think I am.

Never, ever, ever depend on someone else (especially random media) to represent who and what you are -- only you can do that! Lesson learned, eh?

I personally fall into the court that trying to explain what a brony is more bothersome than just telling someone you know "I like to watch this show, it's fantastic!"

My dad knows about it... I payed him to order me a "Drink Cider Learn Nothing" t-shirt from that website called We Love Fine. My brother saw a picture of the t-shirt and laughed because the slogan was amusing. My dad thinks I've lost my marbles. However, you'd never catch either of them watching the show. My grandparents think it's for babies. You can't change their minds. However, if I put Pingu on tv, my grandad would watch it anyway. So, he keeps his mouth shut. And my grandma just accepts that I won't change.

That's great you were able to introduce the show to the target audience -- I bet they liked it, they just felt awkward having it presented to them by their Uncle and reacted that way. Or maybe they didn't like it -- I have to concede that's possible!

Never, ever, ever depend on someone else (especially random media) to represent who and what you are -- only you can do that! Lesson learned, eh?

I personally fall into the court that trying to explain what a brony is more bothersome than just telling someone you know "I like to watch this show, it's fantastic!"

I now know that. I almost instantly regretted doing that. I hated myself for almost 5 full minutes after that! Then I realized how much I don't care what other people think.

I now know that. I almost instantly regretted doing that. I hated myself for almost 5 full minutes after that! Then I realized how much I don't care what other people think.

It took me a little over a day to come to grips with liking the show... I even personally denied any tie to 'brony' for the first (5?) episodes I watched... but I couldnt deny it after Winter Wrap Up lol *I <3 musicals*

Just about everybody in this household knows that I'm a brony. My mom instantly accepted it (she's sort of a go with the flow type, not to mention a pushover), and thought my dad accepted it, but it took a little bit of time for him to think that I genuinely liked the show. He thinks it's just a fad though, and that I'll grow out of it. Though just the other day he said he was surprised I was still into it, and It's been only three months since he first watched it with me. My brother used to tease me about it, but he eventually stopped when he found out it angered me (I'm easily offended). My sister occasionally endorses it, and at one point bought me a MLP blanket. Thank goodness my parents are not aware of G3(.5), because they probably would've bought me the wrong gen for christmas is they did. They were only aware of the first gen of MLP, which took enough to confuse my dad why I was into it.

I don't know if my parents know. My dad would call me weird. My mom probably wouldn't care. I bet I could convince my brother to watch it with me though. My brother and I are pretty weird that way. We have the same interests. My whole family knows I'm a lesbian and they don't really mind. Whatevs.

My Mom and Dad both know, and my dad does think it sslight unusual -for a boy my age- but my mom doesn't care at all, she jsut wants me happy. My brother is a fellow brony, which is sick, cause i have somebody to talk to about it. I haven't told my friends for fear of infinite mockery.

Both of them know, as soon as I wanted pony shirt swag. Hell, they don't give a damn, and my dad suggests turning me into a third-party retailer of pony swag. I Turned it down due to geo-socio-behavioural tradition of my geographical residence

Doesn't get more badass then this, aside from having parents that allow you to by merchandise.

I've never said as much to them, but I don't hide my fandom. Of course, they are already used to me liking things that aren't automatically considered "manly". My sister in law is a Brony as well and my brother swears he will never watch, although I'm fairly certain sis has him on a slow burn.

I did kinda break my Mom's brain the other day though... I was wearing my Luna 'All shall love me and despair!' shirt and my Mom, a huge Tolkien fan, noticed the quote immediately. She thought it was downright scary that Galadriel's most infamous line would be associated with My little Pony. All I told her was that the quote fit the character... :smirk:

Actually I just told my mom yesterday and to my absolute joy she was open to it right from the start. After I went on to tell her about how it was Lauren Faust creator of the PPG and fosters home she said that it must have been a really good show. I mentioned there was a large adult male fanbase and she said she could certainly see why, and said in the most sincere of tones "That sounds really cool!". I almost died, I couldnt ask for a better mom, Im actually considering asking her to watch a few episodes with me.

theeen theres my dad and my little sister...My parents are separated so news of this isnt likely to spread from my mom to my dad which is how I like it. He and my sister are very much the same in how they treat people. They jump on anything they can tease or poke and while they may not be doing it with the intention of causing pain or hurt thats often what will happen. Being a brony would be like the ultimate jumping off point for them to poke and jibe me for the rest of my life, neither of them would ever let me live it down so I think I'll continue to avoid that particular ocean of grief...forEVAR! My dad actually walked into my room without knocking, which was unusual, while I was watching ponies and it was literally more of a shock to my system than it would have been if I had been "doing-the-deed". basically it went like this...

*door starts to open* :-o , *he walks in* :shock: You heard girly music? ... :blush: I dunno. maybe you're hearing things... *he walks out*

:lol: YYEEEAAAAH POOONIIIESS!

so yeah not happening any time soon

Archived