ALICORNS: A CONSPIRACY

So I've got this interesting little thought.

If theres a magical spell that makes unicorns have butterfly wings, what if there's one for feathers? It may not be permanent, but easily reapplied (especially as you get better at the spell).

What if a great magic user (such as Twilight Sparkle) found it and turned others (And herself?) into an alicorn?

Sorry Pegasuses, unless theres a Horn Spell there is no Alicornity for you.

Another way to possibly get Alicorns is if a pegasus and a unicorn had a baby. I know this happens a lot anyway, but maybe Alicornism is just a strange, incredibly rare, genetic mutation?

Is it genetic?

GAH!

Just food for thought. :)

I wouldnt put too much thought into it at this point basically all we can derive from the show is that all female royalty/rulers are alicorns of some sort or another. It seems to be more a title or really more symbolic of importance than power or genetics

I think It's safe to say that being an alicorn doesn't make you a god(dess). I guess being an alicorn is just sort of the icing on the cake for a god(dess), and that Alicorns are just a rare (and mostly royal) breed of ponies. If Cadence were eternal, I think she would've been more hesitant to marry a mortal.

There is no proof that Celestia and Luna are gods. They are just very powerful. Maybe they are so long lived because of their powerful magic or due to their contact with the elements of harmony.

All the alicorns so far have been shown to have very powerful magic. Maybe if a pony has enough natural magic they develop into an alicorn

I think Alicorns aren't as rare as we think. I mean in the Mare do Well Episode, Dash saw her use magic, and then minutes later fly as well. She wasn't like "omg something is wrong, there are only two winged unicorns!" She just accepted that that pony could fly, and had a horn.

I kinda have my own theory involving a more complex/realistic bit of genetics about pony breeds. I'm thinking a lot of genes, where they overlap, have versions that are specific to one breed or another, OR an either/or option. Like, a gene linked with Earth and Pegasus traits might come in Earth/Pegasus/Earth or Pegasus versions. So being an alicorn would basically require ALL of the pony's genes to be lined up with the either/or versions. (Or at least have the dominant any/all versions present. They could still have a different version of the gene if that version is recessive.)

Implications of this theory:

1. The Cakes' children now make sense without having to bring infidelity into it. Both of them just *were* carrying the proper genes.

2. It's probably possible for there to be Pegasus-Unicorn hybrids that aren't true alicorns. (Along with Earth-Pegasus and Earth-Unicorn) This could explain the guards without them being demigods.

3. An alicorn could theoretically be born to parents of *any* breed if they're carrying the right genes.

4. Thanks to recessive genes, two alicorn parents could still have non-alicorn offspring, and are probably more likely to.

I'm thinking the alicorns' power comes from having a combination of all three races' magic. Sorta like how the elements of harmony become ridiculously powerful when combined.

And I really don't think they'd count as gods. I mean, yes they're powerful, but we haven't seen them do anything that other ponies can't. (Aside from maybe live really long.) Remember, according to the holiday special, the unicorns used to *collectively* move the sun and moon.

• Like 1

I like to think it's some kind of genetic fluke, and that a newborn Alicorn is just destined to be a princess. We will probably never know.

As for Cadance' power compared to the princesses, her unique "spreading love"-spell is kind of powerful, if you take a moment and think about the implications.

The only thing Cadence does that would make her look weak is fail to move the mine cart, but that isn't a good example as the reason it was hard to move is because in her panic she failed to remove rocks that were blocking it