Did you have to give up anything when you became a brony?

Mistfire

The reason i'm asking this:

I heard a good question come from my friend Sam:

Is being a brony worth it if you gave up something you loved?

Well THAT got me thinking...

Lets face it, we may have ALL been into something before ponies, am i right? Some were into Music, others maybe theatre, I knew that i was interested in sword fighting and anime. But when i came upon ponies, i decided to leave those two things to be able to enjoy the show at its fullest, but over time, i might feel nostalgia because i stopped doing my hobbies... i was actually about to make a battlebot, but again, ponies.

(well, I admit, I MIGHT watch a few anime or swing around one of my machetes a minute or two, maybe even play Robot Arena 2)

But i dont regret BECOMING a brony, here, I feel welcome, free to talk about things i worry about, as if i had a third family (i already have my mom and dad's sides of the family) to socialize with

So i want to know:

Did you give anything up or leave something to be able to engage in the community better? and if yes, what was it and do you regret it sometimes?

(NOTE: For those who aren't sure of what i'm saying: I am VERYglad that i am a brony, i just feel sad because i left other things to become a stable brony, and take note this could apply to someone who wants to be in a call of duty community or a blazblue fanbase, so im not targeting anyone here)

I Really didn't Give up anything Becoming A Brony I am Still the same Person Yea I don't watch Anime as much but That was already starting to slide before Watching MLP I mean I still Am A gamer Still listen to the same music (Not many pony songs have tickled my fancy) Nothing really changed but even if Something had (Witch I'm sure some thing has been lost about me) I don't really care You see I cant Even Recall I'm clad to be a Brony

Since I've embraced the show and the fandom/community with it, I've done nothing but gain. Pony goes so well with so many other interests, it's more of a challenge finding ways to put it into stuff where it didn't exist before. A good example would be baking -- a lot of my work there is inspired by some of the dishes and desserts I've seen in FiM.

• Like 2

hi hi

I had to give up on sleeping in on Saturday mornings. :(

Seriously though, I haven't really had to give up anything in particular. From a perspective of time, its always a balancing act for me, but I still enjoy the movies, games and genres that I enjoyed before.

• Like 2

Since I've embraced the show and the fandom/community with it, I've done nothing but gain. Pony goes so well with so many other interests, it's more of a challenge finding ways to put it into stuff where it didn't exist before. A good example would be baking -- a lot of my work there is inspired by some of the dishes and desserts I've seen in FiM.

i guess that just makes me one in a million i guess...

heh...

I don't watch as much anime as I used to. Also, I haven't been writing near as much.

I'm not entirely sure it's all because I got into FIM though as much as it is just not having quite as much time.

Didn't lose a thing! My guy-friends think its adorable, my gal-friends think its nice. And here online, theres just a lovely little community filled with the best people! Sometimes there are haters, but who needs them. No true friend will abandon you because you like cute ponies.

While I did have to make room in my day for ponies, I never actually gave up doing the things I love... I mean, even when I wasn't into other things I still enjoyed multiple things, and had time for all of it. Adding one more thing wouldn't force me to stop liking anything else. I mean, why not have sword fighting lessons with Twilight Sparkle? It's always an option.

I don't even call myself a brony, but uh

Why give up something that matters, physically and around your immediate presence, or for that matter is very tangible in your own real life, to join what is basically an aggrandized, if not fun and fairly harmless, internet community? The show's cute, but... it's just a show, yeah?

• Like 1

My man card...

But in all seriousness, I don't believe I had to give anything up to become a Brony. It wasn't like I was three hole punches away on my man card from getting a new Mustang and a fighter jet... Nah, I was maybe about 20 hole punches away from those prizes.

I feel as though I've given up a fair amount for ponies. not on purpose, but I've still left a lot behind.

I've stopped liking anime and I've stopped animating. I don't watch as many movies and I've stopped watching tv all together. I lost a whole group of friends on youtube because of my inactivity. although, I've never been one to like a lot of things, so there wasn't much for me to loose. the only thing that I've been able to hold on to through ponies was my love of animal crossing. now I'm kind of using that as a way to get myself away from being surrounded by ponies 24/7.

but I'll have to say that even with all that I've left behind, ponies are probably one of the best things to ever happen to me. because of them, I've managed to meet many close friends that I talk to regularly and I feel I can tell them anything, which is something I've never had before.

• Like 1

Like most people here, I don't really feel I have given up on something for ponies. I used to do other things before - BloodBowl and Dwarf Fortress comes to mind - and they gradually faded away, but they would have faded away in favor of something else anyway (and probably come back a year later, as it's usually the case with my interest).

If anything, I feel I have gained from joining this fandom too. Heck, it gave me an opportunity to move to the United States.

Now if I had to give up something, would I have become a brony ? I don't know ... it depends on what I would have given up - I wouldn't have given up my soul or my firstborn or something like that. But I would probably have gave up something I loved for it : the tv show does a great job at making me smile, and ponies always brighten up my day. I feel the trade-off would have been well worth it.

Well, I did give up my soul to Luna. I was like 'here you go!' and she was like 'thanks!'. I think she appreciated the bag more than the actual contents....And for non-mortal-souls, I've been trying to catch up with all the "Bronyville" podcasts, so my other podcasts have been getting dusty. Don't worry fellas, I'll listen to you soon..

Maybe not physically, but how about psychologically? I know I gave up my preconceived notion that the show would suck and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who watched their first episode with negative bias. And on that train of thought, as I further watched the show I also gave up what I thought certain things were in the show before I actually saw them based on the memes. For example, before I saw the Parasprites and Cutie Mark Crusaders in the show, I actually thought they were the same thing and that they were going to be some major villain group in the show that somehow made ponies lose their Cutie Marks or something. I know there were many other things I thought incorrectly as I watched the show as well, particularly from the preview images (or whatever you call them) of related videos on Youtube of episodes I hadn't seen yet. One that I remember was "Fall Weather Friends" where the preview image looked, to me, like Rainbow Dash was hitting on Twilight Sparkle, lol. Oh and I had seen a drawing on DA before I ever watched the show that made me think RD was a mechanic. So many things I incorrectly thought about the show.

In the wise words of an old friend of mine~

"If your hobby causes you to lose interest or time in your regular life, then it isn't a hobby, is it? It's a lifestyle."

I still live by that quote.

There's really a difference between "giving up" something, and losing interest in it after you've begun something else. I iddn't "give up" watching King of The Hill on Adult Swim at night. No, I lost interest in doing so when I had ponies to watch. (Though Season 2 is over ,and I haven't seen all of the koTH episodes..) I don't let things "intrude" my life, because when they're taken away, what will you have left? How long would it take for you to recover from your loss as compared to it being just a hobby? I'm not here assuming you all have no lives and no free time- no. I'm just saying that you shouldn't, (and hopefully don't) give up anything for a hobby, or "side-interest." Because that would be an extremely bad idea.

The ONLY way I can see it "taking over" your life, is if you were to be able to lvie comfortably off of it. Like if you were allowed to sell your wood art carvings for $1000's a piece. And eventually, that became your "main focus" or your "Job."

Which honestly, I can't see happening with a show like this. No matter how BIG the impact on your life it is / has been, it should NEVER directly change your entire lifestyle.

With that aside, I'd say the only thing I've given up is the comfort of knowing I have 'nothing ot hide." Because i need to hide my Pony folder on my PC, because my older brother, who is here often, is a typical older brother, and until I manage to convert him, I need ot keep it "safely stowed away." so to speak.

Please, I want your opinion on this post, and I need to have a discussion wit hsomeone. I'm so lonely..:|

I actually stopped playing an MMO I'd been playing for about 7 years. I had been tapering for a while, but I loved the group I had been a part of for about 5 of those years. I might have given up something that I loved... but I gained something that I loved even more.

No regrets.

• Like 1

I used to be a considerably more cynical person, often using the phrase, "This series really needs to end." That phrase punched me in the face when MLP FiM, a franchise I felt needed to die years ago, wound up being good. Now, I never say something needs to die, but rather something needs to get better, and this is how it could get better.

I'm still cynical and overly critical, but now I've started looking more in depth with my criticisms looking for the positive aspects while also finding ways to mend the bad. If anything I lost a little and gained a lot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had to give up on sleeping in on Saturday mornings. :-(

This + maybe $400 on merch.

I still listen to music, draw, make things, take pictures and collect toys like I used to, and at no time will anything involving this community interfere with offline plans I have.

I don't even call myself a brony, but uh

Why give up something that matters, physically and around your immediate presence, or for that matter is very tangible in your own real life, to join what is basically an aggrandized, if not fun and fairly harmless, internet community? The show's cute, but... it's just a show, yeah?

Enjoyment, like love, is something that can be had in abundance and shouldn't interfere with your friends, family, job, school, or constructive hobbies that enhance your creativity. Nobody's getting special medals that say "better Brony than you because I gave up X". it's just a show. It's fantastic, and has a great community around it, but it shouldn't be the main focus of anyone's life.

Ever since I became interested in the show, I kind of feel as if my life is rationed. Some for school, personal enjoyment, studies, etc. If it's not that, I just don't want the FiM show to end; I really don't know what would happen if it was cancelled or stopped, I mean I've seen the other MLP generation, but they're all so, different.

I didn't give up anything but I gained much.

I gained a new desire to draw.

I gained an outlet to create stories for fun and a way to experiment for novel writing.

I gained a great place to role play where I can have fun as different characters.

I gained a way for my friends to have more fun by becomming bronies!

And, i gained meeting some wonderful individuals that I probably wouldn't have met if I wasn't a brony.