Brony Pet Peeves?

QuickLime

one of my personal pet peeves is that hasbro is not takeing advantage of the large fanbase by having a better marketing system! they should start making more pony merchandise, but most importently they should at least try to make it cannon. :sniff: i mean come on!!! Celestia is NOT PINK!

One thing that bugs me? Overthinking. This fandom does a lot of it.

Just visit Ponychan's /show/ board. I mean, my God. Some of the things they argue there are just totally irrelevant.

I'm guilty of that. But mind you, I do it more for fun, than actual debate.

Oh don't misunderstand me- I LOVE overthinking too! It just bugs me when people argue with each other about said overthinkings. If that makes sesne.

• 5 months later...

ok, rant time.

1. when people say that they hate the show, but have no evidence as to WHY they hate it.
  2. when cloppers are open IN PUBLIC about what they do, seriously i hev no problem with what you do or what gets you off, but i just dont want to know about it, especially when its not a brony website, to neutrals it makes the communty look like were ALL like that, when, were not
  3. when a fellow brony goes to a site or youtube and says "i <3 ponies" or something like that, hes obviously just ASKING for a flame war to break out
  4. general hater troll d-bags

wow, that felt good to get all that out...

People that enjoy the show and what it's about, who then turn around and act like bullies in the community.

im all for love,tolerence and all that stuff but if i knew a brony like that he would be getting the back of my hoof OR a stern talking to :)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, some of my peeves...

* Clop. I actually had to leave another forum not long ago in part because some people obsessed so much over clop, wouldn't stop talking about which pony they'd get in bed with, etc.--despite knowing it disturbed some of us. Worse is the people who think its okay if they say they don't see the ponies as animals or if they only clop to humanized, hey, I don't care about your private life! I don't wanna know! Quit telling me about it!

* On that note, humanizations. Most of them, anyhow. There are some I find are well-done, but for the most part humanizations leave me asking "why?" The characters lose something if they're not cute ponies, IMO. And I really don't agree with some interpretations. Specifically:

** Twilight as black. Sorry, just can't see it. I can see Asian-Twilight though.

** Pinkie Pie as adult and tubby. In my imagination, Pinkie would be more like a little kid.

** Any of the ponies being exaggeratedly well-endowed.

* On that note, not really into "real pony" style, except when its done as a joke.

* Evil/corrupted versions of the mane six or the Elements of Harmony. Just something about the premise rubs me the wrong way. I think its because they have personalities and aren't defined entirely by binary morals, so the idea of what they'd be like as "evil" is just a non-sequiter (probably one reason I didn't like "The Return of Harmony")

* When the G1 counterpart characters are drawn/written/otherwise interpreted as basically being just like the mane six, but with minor differences.

My only real pet peeve is not exclusive to the Brony community. I simply find it very annoying when people take their obsessions too far and go out of their way to let you know about them. I like Friendship is Magic just as much as the next Brony (or Pegasister), but I don't want to ponify every aspect of my life.

When people post an entire jubilee of pictures that fit their....personal obsessions. There have to be specialty website for those sort of things and some really bother me, like that "character a eats character b" thing, I'm sorry anyone who likes it, but to me it just makes me uncomfortable, especially with Ponies because Ponies can't eat meat so the whole thing also goes against the way they've evolved

The Applebloom/Sweetie Belle is really Applejack/Rarity's daughter theory, first of all I imagine the crusaders as being about 11 and the mane 6 as being in their early 20s, meaning that they would have been about 12 at time. Second my mother works with troubled youths, a number of them have children at excessively young ages, I know it doesn't sound very good but frankly I get a bit tired of hearing about these things and I really don't want things like that in my Ponies or any of my forms of escapism that helps me to block out the things from my mother's job that I don't like hearing about

* On that note, humanizations. Most of them, anyhow. There are some I find are well-done, but for the most part humanizations leave me asking "why?" The characters lose something if they're not cute ponies, IMO. And I really don't agree with some interpretations. Specifically:

** Twilight as black. Sorry, just can't see it. I can see Asian-Twilight though.

** Pinkie Pie as adult and tubby. In my imagination, Pinkie would be more like a little kid.

** Any of the ponies being exaggeratedly well-endowed.

Hmm, I like when people do humanised versions that are still cute like to original designs, but I do find some of the attempts at adding diversity to the mane 6 a bit strange since each major ethnic group already has been depicted as well as several body types. "Negrarity" though I really wonder how it started, I understand that some people would find her more attractive that way than the image of her being pale, but the former really looks more like a drawing of somebody friend in cosplay than Rarity.

And I agree about Pinkie, or at least about people drawing her as being heavier, I don't mind her being an adult since the others are adult, but Pinkie would be a child-like adult

Also I wonder how busty Fluttershy go started, it's not exactly a pet peeve but it does seem a bit strange to have a busty Pegasus since it would create an incredible amount of drag (true she doesn't fly well, but I think the problem is more that her wings aren't very strong, more than that, especially since it's been a problem since childhood)

But one that really bothers me is when they draw Unicorn characters as human and put a horn on them, it just looks a bit off to me, I think it looks better if you put a mark on their forehead like in "The Last Unicorn"

When bronies make a parody or recreate a video (ex.: Cutie Mark Crusaders Beep Beep thing) and then the original is spammed with comments of: "I came here from ponies", "Guess where came from!", etc.

Ponies aren't the only ones to have that, a few months I looked at theme theme from the first season of Pretty Cure for the first time in a while and was surprised by the incredible number of comments from people who were brought to it by the song being mentioned in Lucky Star

1. When bronies make a parody or recreate a video (ex.: Cutie Mark Crusaders Beep Beep thing) and then the original is spammed with comments of: "I came here from ponies", "Guess where came from!", etc.

Actually, this is probably one of my big ones as well, or at least the one that gives the haters a reasonable argument because at this point it really does come close to shoving ponies down other peoples throats.

Whenever I see art of our favorite ponies as humans, there's always going to be some comment along the lines of "Why is 'insert pony here' black?" "I dont mean to be racist or whatever, but why did you give fluttershy a towel or whatever its called around her head??? Is she supposed to be a terrorist???" "There must be something wrong with you if you seriously think Pinkie's fat." And more of the same. We throw around "love and tolerance", but if you ask me bronies arent taking it to heart if we're capable of throwing rude and ignorant comments at each otehr over how we see the characters as human in our heads. I see dont see anything wrong with if an artist draws the characters as all white or none of them white. My personal peeve is seeing bronies making very ignorant comments and throwing hissy fits just becuase someone drew their "waifu" and it doesnt fit their headcanons.

That and fanfictions that depict the characters as beyond mentally insane. Particularly Rarity. Ive seen alot of fanfictions where's she just NUTS. I just dont get the appeal. :scream:

I despise it when people "ponify" things on youtube. It always ends up in people spamming on youtube videos saying "PONIES BROUGHT ME HERE!" and all that jazz. Ever since that video "Friendship was magic" was made, tons of cowboy bebop videos have been spammed with ponies. Same thing with lord of the rings after a lord of the rings pony video was uploaded. I just feel ponies dont belong in anything else but ponies.

I also hate people that hate on cloppers. Whether they choose to accept it cloppers are part of the fandom and cloppers are just as much of as person as you. I mean if they all scream "Love and tolerate" at the haters why are they hating at people in their own community?

I guess my biggest pet peeve is the idea that other bronies/pegasisters don't live up to "love and tolerate" as much as they should. I have no idea why we can't all show the world our caring sides, considering that's what is preached. I've seen too many comments on the various ships that come from the show about how gay the combination of 'pony a and pony b' is. Each fan is different...can't we accept that without the hate?

This may just be sour grapes on my part, but I'm starting to dislike shipping.

It feels like sometimes, that's all that matters to people. Like when I go to Fimfiction and see what fics are getting front-paged, it seems like most of them are ship-fics. And indeed, until just recently the title banner always showed two ponies lovingly hugging each other/giving each other the eyes/etc.

• Like 1

This may just be sour grapes on my part, but I'm starting to dislike shipping.

It feels like sometimes, that's all that matters to people. Like when I go to Fimfiction and see what fics are getting front-paged, it seems like most of them are ship-fics. And indeed, until just recently the title banner always showed two ponies lovingly hugging each other/giving each other the eyes/etc.

The reason this bugs me is because the entire premise of the show is the power of friendship. it is one of the few relationship based shows for which ignoring romantic love is par for the course. That makes it very refreshing, and powerful. When people start shipping the characters, I feel it cheapens the show. For some people, the compulsion to ship MLP characters shows an unhealthy obsession with the need for romance.