Favorite authors

punky

I'm doing a blog topic on my Aspie Catholic blog about my favorite writers, so I thought this would be a great way to get to know everypony. So, who are your favorite writers? I'll give a link to my post when it's finished and use that as a way for you to know mine.

I have many different writers I like. Mainly they are fantasy writers.

Below I have the author and a few of their books

• Stephen King - "Carrie," "Misery," "The Dark Tower," "The Green Mile," etc.
  • Meredith Ann Pierce - "The Firebringer Trilogy"
  • Bruce Coville - "The Unicorn Chronicles"
  • Peter S. Beagle - "The Last Unicorn"
  • Suzanne Collins - "The Hunger Games"
  • JK Rowling - "Harry Potter"
  • JRR Tolkien - "The Hobbit," "The Lord of the Rings"
  • Michael Ende - "The Neverending Story"

Oh, that's a terribly difficult choice...I can't just choose one!

• Tad Williams - "War of the Flowers"
  • Alexander Campbell - "Deepgate Chronicles"
  • China Mieville - "Perdido Street Station" and sequels/prequels, but mostly this one.
  • Raymond E. Feist - The entire Riftwar saga, basically.
  • Jasper Fforde - "First Among Sequels"
  • Brandon Sanderson - "The Stormlight Archive"
  • Bill Bryson - Pretty much everything he's written.
  • Terry Pratchett - "Discworld", and an honourable mention to "Good Omens" as well, because it's fantastic, even though my copy has been dropped in the bath and dunked in soup and had fake blood accidentally poured on the cover...

Hmm... I love reading, so I'm sure I can come up with a few of these. Gonna steal the little lists everypony is doing...

• J.R.R. Tolkien - "The Silmarillion", "The Lord of the Rings", "The Hobbit" ((Favorite author of all time, hooves down.))
  • Christopher Paolini - The Inheritance Cycle ((Lovelovelove. Second favorite, without a doubt.))
  • Garth Nix - "Sabriel", "Lirael", "Abhorsen" ((Great trilogy. Very riveting.))
  • Orson Scott Card - "Ender's Game", "Xenocide", "Treason" and many others. ((O.S.C. is an amazing science fiction writer. Just brilliant.))

There are probably others...but I can't think of them right now. I may add to this list when I do.

I have a feeling that most everypony here is going to have some overlap. :lol:

• J.R.R. Tolkien 'Nuff said.
  • C.J. Cherryh - The Paladin
  • Katherine Kurtz
  • J. K. Rowling
  • Asimov's Foundation series.

I have tons of old-ish sci-fi and fantasy series that I love.

Heck, I just like BOOKS! :TSparkle:

• 2 weeks later...

Terry Brooks - The Shannara series, The Word and the Void series

Terry Pratchet - The Color of Magic (the only one I've read so far but I want to read more)

Lloyd Alexander - The Chronicles of Prydain (mostly on nostalgia as it was the first fantasy series I read)

Piers Anthony - The Xanth series

probably forgetting a few.

Philip K. Dick - A Scanner Darkly, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Valis, Ubik - So influential in the SF world, and with good reason.

Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Dirk Gently - Shouldn't need an introduction.

Tom Sharpe - Wilt, Porterhouse Blues - A true master of the farce, although he does come off as rather bigoted at points.

Terry Pratchett - Discworld - Once again, shouldn't need an introduction.

Dan Simmons - Hyperion - If you want a unique take on Hard SF, read Hyperion. Now.1

--------

1 I seriously cannot recommend this book too highly. It's a really thoughtful look at religion, poetry, art and what it means to be human, wrapped up in a Chaucerian framing device.

• 1 month later...

[colour=#800080]Here comes an eclectic list:[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Robert Heinlein[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Isaac Asimov[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Harry Harrison[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Sue Grafton[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Dashiell Hammett[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Terry Pratchett[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Sir Arthur Conan Doyle [/colour]

[colour=#800080]Anne McCaffery[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Carole Nelson Douglas[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Patricia Cornwell[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Janet Evanovich[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Elizabeth Moon[/colour]

• Like 1

[colour=#800080]Here comes an eclectic list:[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Robert Heinlein[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Isaac Asimov[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Harry Harrison[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Sue Grafton[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Dashiell Hammett[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Terry Pratchett[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Sir Arthur Conan Doyle [/colour]

[colour=#800080]Anne McCaffery[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Carole Nelson Douglas[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Patricia Cornwell[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Janet Evanovich[/colour]

[colour=#800080]Elizabeth Moon[/colour]

Nice list; the names I recognise pretty much ensure that I'll check out the ones I don't. :aubrey:

I only have a few:

Nikki Sixx - Only has 2 books (apparently might write a 3rd)

Erin Hunter - Actually 4 people, and my fave by them are the Warrior Cat books

Jacqueline Wilson - I got lots of her books but, I haven't read them in a while

I also used to read books by Adam Blade. I still have lots of his books as well.

Good lists so far. To get on mine, I require the author to be both prolific, and high in quality.

Stephen Ambrose (History, Nothing Like it in the World, etc)

Michael Crichton (Sci-Fi, Jurassic Park, etc)

Steven Brust (Fantasy, Jhereg, etc)

John Gresham (Legal Thrillers, The Appeal, etc)

Punky, I don't feel the need to wait for an official write up. Why don't you share your list with us now? It is ok if it is as unpolished as ours.

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#0000ff]Which ones do you not recognise? I can tell you the ones I like the best out of them.[/colour]

Harry Harrison

Sue Grafton

Dashiell Hammett

Anne McCaffery

Carole Nelson Douglas

Patricia Cornwell

Janet Evanovich

Elizabeth Moon

...which is actually the majority of the names you listed.... but my point stands. Recommend me some reading!

Aaron Dembski-Bowden is absolutely genius.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Chris Wraight

Gav Thorpe

... how is Dan Abnett not on that list?!?

Harry Harrison

Sue Grafton

Dashiell Hammett

Anne McCaffery

Carole Nelson Douglas

Patricia Cornwell

Janet Evanovich

Elizabeth Moon

...which is actually the majority of the names you listed.... but my point stands. Recommend me some reading!

... how is Dan Abnett not on that list?!?

Completely slipped my mind but I am not a huge fan of his writing though.

Harry Harrison

Sue Grafton

Dashiell Hammett

Anne McCaffery

Carole Nelson Douglas

Patricia Cornwell

Janet Evanovich

Elizabeth Moon

Here you go. I've tried to give a quick thumbnail sketch of my four favorites from the list!

(Added links for more details)

[colour=#0000ff]Harry Harrison created one of my favorite seriocomic series of all time. “The Stainless Steel Rat”. James Bolivar diGriz aka Slippery Jim, is a thief extraordinaire in the far distant future. The stories are all in first person, with Jim telling the tale of his latest caper as he mixes his criminal abilities with skill as a crime FIGHTER to help make the universe safe for all. Jim has traveled in time, headlined a rock band, become president of a distant planet, been forced to join the army, become a magician in a circus, and has even gone to Hell! Have I mentioned that his beloved wife Angelina is a medically reformed psychotic killer? Their twin sons James and Bolivar often join their parents in the latest escapade to save the universe…While taking time to rob the odd bank along the way![/colour]

http://en.wikipedia....nless_Steel_Rat

[colour=#ff0000]Sue Grafton is a mystery writer. Her character Kinsey Millhone is my favorite female detective. As in many good mystery stories, Kinsey’s cases are also told in the first person. All of Sue Grafton’s “Alphabet” mysteries take place in the 1980’s, even though ““V” is for Vengeance” was written in 2011. Kinsey is hard as nails, but also vulnerable in a way that makes her quite human. I shouldn’t forget to mention her all purpose black dress! She usually brings it with her everywhere she goes…Just in case![/colour]

http://en.wikipedia....Kinsey_Millhone

[colour=#0000ff]Dashiell Hammett wrote two books you’ll undoubtedly recognize the titles of. “The Thin Man” and “The Maltese Falcon”. Both books are excellent, and both were made into movies that are among my very favorites! Sam Spade of the Maltese Falcon is pretty much the genesis of the “Hard Boiled” detective. Both were written in the 1930's, but are just as exciting to read today! [/colour]

http://en.wikipedia....ashiell_Hammett

[colour=#ff0000]Anne McCaffery created one of my favorite science fiction series (some would say fantasy, but the dragons were bioengineered by the first settlers ) Her Dragonriders of Pern stories are wonderful! On the planet Pern, the human colonists have forgotten their origins on Earth. For the most part, life is good on Pern. That is until the dreaded start of Threadfall! Thread is a deadly organism that consumes anything organic in its path. The only weapon to destroy this airborne menace is the mighty fire breathing dragons, and the brave men and women who ride them! Truly exciting stories![/colour]

http://en.wikipedia....nriders_of_Pern

• Like 1

One of my favorite authors is Tommy Donbavand, who wrote the Scream Street book series. They got really popular and there's a tv-show coming!

I'm friends with the author, so I get all his latest books in the mail, signed and everything :')

Even though it's made for a much younger age group then me, I find them hilarious. You don't need a thick book to have a good read! :) Recommended if you need light reading! (I illustrate and write for this age group so I enjoy them alot)

I do read thicker books as well but I have a very hard time to focus. I like J.K Rowling though, and Dean Koontz!