For all you wordy ones out there, here's an interesting little widget:

I Write Like analyzes your writing style and compares it to other, famous authors. Put in some stuff, and it tells you the style you mimic.

Apparently, my latest post in the Northern Winds FoE RP is similar to J.R.R Tolkien. Which is strange, because I've never read anything by Tolkien.

Anyway, enough about me. Show me who you write like!

PS: The "code" for the badge it gives you doesn't work on Canterlot, unless I'm doing something wrong (which is entirely possible)

Apparently, the first paragraphs of my FOE sidefic are not in the style of Jim Butcher like I'd intended, but Margaret Atwood. Huh.

All 43k words of it gives me Chuck Palaihnuk or something. Never read either of their works.

Apparently, when I just write... I tend to write like Edgar Allen Poe apparently.... I am OK with this... When I put in my apps and RP posts in... apparently I write like JRR Tolkien. Again, I am OK with this... I like the outcomes I got... :D

BTW, it also totally makes sense... They are two authors I grew up with. Along with Stephen King, Terry Pratchett, and HP Lovecraft... I mean they made my childhood (and later JK Rowling)

I copied down a bit of a story I'm writing in my free time and...Stephanie Meyer.

On my fanfictions I got...

• Sincerely, Derpy Hooves- Ian Fleming (woohoo!)
  • Shy Kisses- Margaret Mitchell (not sure who that is)
  • One of My Turns- Neil Gaiman (woohoo! :D)
  • The Note- James Joyce (who?!)
  • A Day at the Bar- Dan Brown (not sure who that is either)

1. Why don't I know who these people are? I'm a total bookworm!

2. STEPHANIE MEYER?! REALLY?!

• Like 1

I copied down a bit of a story I'm writing in my free time and...Stephanie Meyer.

2. STEPHANIE MEYER?! REALLY?!

Ha! Guess we better start writing stories about hunky vampony stallions and the innocent mares they fall in love with...

mlfw7693133565010814.gif

Apparently, the first paragraphs of my FOE sidefic are not in the style of Jim Butcher like I'd intended, but Margaret Atwood. Huh.

All 43k words of it gives me Chuck Palaihnuk or something. Never read either of their works.

Margaret Atwood is a science fiction writer whose work tends to carry heavy feminist subtext. The Handmaid's Tale is probably her most famous work, telling of a dystopian society where women basically have absolutely no rights. I've heard some people call it heavy-handed, but I'll wait to judge it until I actually read it. I also remember she wrote Oryx and Crake, but I can't remember what that book is actually about.

I read quite a few of Chuck Palahniuk's books in high school and college, including Fight Club, though my personal favorite is Survivor (because the chapter and page numbers count down instead of up, fitting the feeling of inevitable doom that the story's framing device inspires). His work tends to be blunt, harsh, and viscerally ugly. I still have a copy of his short story collection, Haunted, which I dare not read again. One of the earlier stories in that book, Guts, has made people faint upon reading it. I made the mistake of reading it in class and it felt kind of sick. So in conclusion, definitely not for everyone, though I kind of like him.

On my fanfictions I got...

• Sincerely, Derpy Hooves- Ian Fleming (woohoo!)
  • Shy Kisses- Margaret Mitchell (not sure who that is)
  • One of My Turns- Neil Gaiman (woohoo! :D)
  • The Note- James Joyce (who?!)
  • A Day at the Bar- Dan Brown (not sure who that is either)

I wouldn't be too proud of the Dan Brown association, either. He's the author of Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code, popular potboilers that aren't as clever as they might think they are and largely don't hold up to scrutiny. He's not as badly regarded as Stephenie Meyer by bibliophiles, but he's down there.

James Joyce, on the other hand, is a capital-L Literature writer whose works (especially Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake) are guaranteed to alienate casual readers and anyone who isn't into deep literary analysis like me. Many people who skim him over find him downright incomprehensible. I haven't actually read that much about his books, but they're deeper than the Marianas Trench and if you're looking for a challenging read, I suppose you'll get one.

I didn't know who Margaret Mitchell was when I read your post, but a quick check on Wikipedia tells me she wrote Gone With the Wind. I haven't read that book or seen that movie, so I'm not sure how to feel about this.

As for myself, I fed the site the first (and thus far only) two pages of my nascent Fallout Equestria fic and got H. P. Lovecraft. I was kind of aiming for Charles Dickens, since the protagonist and narrator of this first chapter speaks pretentiously with lots of fancy and antiquated words, but I suppose Lovecraft is close enough for an amateur like me.

I didn't know who Margaret Mitchell was when I read your post, but a quick check on Wikipedia tells me she wrote Gone With the Wind. I haven't read that book or seen that movie, so I'm not sure how to feel about this.

Frankly darling, you shouldn't give a dam. (XD)

If anyone manages to get Shakespeare, Dickens, or any other historic writer, I'll be shocked.

Margaret Atwood is a science fiction writer whose work tends to carry heavy feminist subtext. The Handmaid's Tale is probably her most famous work, telling of a dystopian society where women basically have absolutely no rights. I've heard some people call it heavy-handed, but I'll wait to judge it until I actually read it. I also remember she wrote Oryx and Crake, but I can't remember what that book is actually about.

Thanks for explaining. I got her too but couldn't be bothered to find out who the author I had never heard of was.