Equestria Girls Trailer

kunio18

whelp, looks like they actually went and did it,

Well I just watched the trailer and it seems Sunset Shimmer is gonna be in it, and McCarthy is writing it, and I actually am feeling..... hesitantly optimistic about it. Still I need to see it before I can judge it fully.

Whilst watching this, honestly, it doesn't look half bad. Though I'm wondering how much it'll affect the main series.

IT BEGINS.

Oh great. Looks like it's going to be in MLP canon as well. I don't like the concept of it being a drama based around a secondary school (high school, or whatever you call it). It'll be like other high school dramas, except with the Mane 6.

wary but hopeful that's all i can say. if it sucks it will suck hard probably but if done right.... who knows it may do okay, the mlp fandom may actually not burn it at the stake because its different...oh who am i kidding the fandoms burned stuff at the stake for much less

The feminist in me can't get over the designs. One thing I like about MLP is that it makes it okay for girls to be different and unique regardless of what they look like. You know, be yourself, whatever that means for you.

Well, we're going to make those fun, unique and well-rounded characters and design them to be cookie cutters of one another and give them teeny tiny waists and short skirts and long legs. Like seriously - in that entire trailer was there a single female character wearing jeans? Trackies? Anything? No, not even Rainbow dash - she was given a skirt over a pair of leggings. Still a skirt in my books.

Oh, Hasbro, you were doing so well...

So the following are potentially canon:-

knowledge of Humans & Earth

Travel to and from Earth

Ponies being humans when traveling to Earth and the opposite when travelling to Equestria. (Mass Brony migration?)* :razz:

Romantic interest (?) being big brother lookalike :-o

Earth species being determined my view of place in the world (WHY is Spike a dog?)

Probably best I wait and see the actual thing because speculation is raising too many awkward questions along with the 'every cookie cutter t(w)een movie' plot that the ad gives out.

Also, are we going to see a flame haired maned antagonist in season 4?

* Or could be parallel universe humans in a 'we are drawn to the same type of friend wherever we are' message.

Honestly, I'm extravagantly neutral on the subject. I can't bring myself to like or hate it at the moment. It's made for younger girls, so maybe it will appeal to them but not to us (I dunno)?

However, I do find it interesting that Twilight has to remeet the rest of the mane-six all over again, and that most of the humans have unusually coloured skin. My only real gripe to worry about is the awkward conflict(s) implied in the trailer. It may be very uncomfortable to watch.

The feminist in me can't get over the designs. One thing I like about MLP is that it makes it okay for girls to be different and unique regardless of what they look like. You know, be yourself, whatever that means for you.

Well, we're going to make those fun, unique and well-rounded characters and design them to be cookie cutters of one another and give them teeny tiny waists and short skirts and long legs. Like seriously - in that entire trailer was there a single female character wearing jeans? Trackies? Anything? No, not even Rainbow dash - she was given a skirt over a pair of leggings. Still a skirt in my books.

To look at the more positive side of things, at least they don't have large breasts, wear gimpy cloathing (AKA, cloathing could be worse) and (probably) won't act like the stupid generic girls that are usually portrayed in shows for little girls (AKA, may keep their own unique characteristics).

Its probably more to do with making toys out of one mold. Heman wasn't sexist, it was just easier to have most characters be super muscular and wear a fur loincloth

[colour=#282828]Romantic interest (?) being big brother lookalike [/colour] :-o

Its not

Creepy

Bearing in mind that it's Lauren Faust and the creative team she left behind at DHX that deserve most of the credit for FiM's success in the first place. :P

This is my fear, that Equestria Girls takes Friendship Is Magic and makes it into just one of those girl shows again, well perhaps not the series, but in general. Watching the preview, all the girls are slim and pretty, the prom or dance and being the princess of it is the most important thing. Contrast this to FIM, where the focus is on deep morals and lessons and bigger issues that anyone can relate to. FIM was meant to be a show that wasn't a "dumb show for girls". Now Equestria Girls may not be this, but that is the big concern. Not the colours on the characters, not the animation (which looks just as fluid and all), not that tweens are the target, but that Hasbro may forget what makes this show so great, and not for us adults (we are unintended benefactors), but for the young girls - That it treats them like people first and not fall to gender stereotypes.

• Like 1

prepare guys a feel a massive storm coming within the fan base

Meh, you are behind the times, that all already happened, at least if you follow Reddit or Equestria Daily, now it is the "wait and see" phase, at least for the level-headed fans who know, or learned, not to get so freaked out over things.

• Like 1

I really hate how the fandom is crying and getting flankhurt over the movie. Even though it bugs me how everything is almost turning into another Barbie/Bratz/Monster High girly stereotype movie, I am enjoying it. But hey, we all have to remember which target audience MLP was intended for.

Thinking how Spike is a dog makes his crush on Rarity weirder. O.o

Here is the latest information compiled for the movie including

what we know section, and what is pure speculation and rumor at this time.

For those who do not want to click the links, a summary of what we know is as follows:

Synopsis: When a crown is stolen from the Crystal Empire, Twilight Sparkle pursues the thief into an alternate world where she transforms into a teenage girl who must survive her biggest challenge yet... high school. With the help of her new friends who reminds her of Ponyville's Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy, she embarks upon a quest to find the crown and change the destiny of these two parallel worlds.

Synopsis from the storybook to be released in October: Get an exciting longer story in our first Super Special chapter book for MY LITTLE PONY. In an effort to regain her stolen crown, Princess Twilight Sparkle steps through a magical mirror, into a completely new world where some things have changed, but true friendships remain magical!

The movie is 72 minutes long, all we seen is about a minute of that. It will be released to DVD on August 6, and to the Hub in the Autumn.

Multiple cast members and staffers from MLP:FiM worked on this movie.

It is not part of season 4, although it could be seen as canon (as it fits), it will not affect the season 4 episodes.

Sunset Shimmer plays a major role, possibly as an antagonist.

Pretty much everything else heard is rumor or guess work by the fandom, or 4chan.

whelp, looks like they actually went and did it,

And what were you expecting?:P

It'll be fine for what it is: A new MLP brand that won't impact FiM. I'm not really interested in it but my niece is, and with the very creative people at work on it I'm sure it won't be as bad as some of us fear. Everything Hasbro demands is dumb and hurts, but the dialogue and scenes are where it will be made or broke. (I say that instead of plot because I am 100% certain that the plot is so pushed by Hasbro to sell one of a thousand toys they have that the movie's plot is in every way a toy commercial.)

Question: how could Twilight Sparkle become a student in a human high school........ when she doesn't legally exist in the human world? No government records, no parents or guardians, just zilch..... :o

at least im happy that they have scrapped the idea of having cutie marks on there faces.

that just looked downright silly if you asked me.

The early designs and the designs they seem to be using now are significantly different (and the ones they have now, much better). They dropped the cutie marks on faces, the hair extensions that look like tails, wings, lipstick, and rounded out their facial features.

• Like 1

Name for the human equivalents for the mane six and antagonist:*

• Pinkie Pie = Paulina Pettifer
  • Rainbow Dash = Roxy Dodgers
  • Applejack = Amelia Jems
  • Rarity = Rowellina Beattie
  • Fluttershy = Faith Summers
  • Sunset Shimmer = Susan Shelby
  • unnamed boy = Jock Fastflash

*Found this on Derpibooru, which got it from what looks like 4chan, so I consider this "rumor tier", besides the guy's name is "Jock Fastflash", that sounds a little too ridiculous to me to be his actual name, but you never know. Either way, treat this as unconfirmed for now.

*Found this on Derpibooru, which got it from what looks like 4chan, so I consider this "rumor tier", besides the guy's name is "Jock Fastflash", that sounds a little too ridiculous to me to be his actual name, but you never know. Either way, treat this as unconfirmed for now.

Yeah. I would have picked Gristle McThornBody, Slate Fistcrunch or Crunch ButtSteak..Those are all manly names. :kissy:

As for the show itself..I'm going to actually wait to see it before I judge it....The trailer didn't look too bad...Character models are still awful, but much better than the ones we have seen in the past.