Unpopular Pony Opinions

Unpopular opinions? Did Christmas come early?

*Clears throat.*

• Season 3 succeeded in neutering Discord and in a related way killed any good will I had for Season 4 in regards to the ending
  • Alicorn Twilight makes our adorkable little neurotic much less relatable
  • She was a Mary Sue beforehand though, so I guess this was to be expected
  • Equestria Girls was garbage that pretty much didn't add to the series in any positive way
  • The Flim Flam Brothers were pretty corny in an unamusing way
  • Too Many Pinkie Pies was a great episode for it's humor
  • The canon ending of Magic Duel doesn't involve Twilight winning at all; she imprisons Twilight and her friends and remains in power for an indeterminate amount of time
  • Flash Sentry is the most contrived teenage archetype ever and is a misfire of creative thought
  • Background ponies have undeserved amounts of attention
  • Derpy Hooves is lamest face of fandom and should not have been allowed to breed
  • Trixie, Lightning Dust and Rainbow Dash are two characters I love for their arrogance and ego trippin'
  • Applejack is grossly mishandled
  • Spike episodes generally suck
  • Hasbro could have worked things out and profitted well from Fighting is Magic and decided instead to work with american copyright law, which by the way, screws over the same people it claims to protect
  • I didn't like the Pets episode that much
  • Merriweather Williams could have done better with Wonderbolt Academy by using one of her previous endings
  • Luna Eclipsed Luna is best Luna, and her season one appearance is nothing more than early installment weirdness
  • A Canterlot Wedding was basically Mass Effect 3 in that it had no true ending brought about due to the actions of the protagonists, and the ultimate evil was dispelled with a big, bs blast of magic out of nowhere
  • Shining Armor and Princess Cadence are about as boring as the actual Royal Couple that got married around the same time
  • Best Night Ever is still the best season finale
  • Earth Ponies are the bottom rung of pony society and Celestia help you if you're born as one
  • The Apple Family lineage may have been created through an extensive line of inbreeding, due to the amounts of Apple-related talents and earth ponies within
  • Unicorns are the best pony race

Ahhhhh... Unpopular opinions... ^^ And now that that's done, I can go enjoy some ponies.

Counterpoints:

• Season 3 succeeded in neutering Discord and in a related way killed any good will I had for Season 4 in regards to the ending
  • A way to write Delancie out to pursue other interests than fending off pony AND Star Trek fans.

• Alicorn Twilight makes our adorkable little neurotic much less relatable
  • The Immortal Game turns Celestia and Luna into daughters of a mad god and places extreme emphasis on the godlike nature of alicorns. The fandom has only themselves to blame for the change in Twilight's level of relatability.

• She was a Mary Sue beforehand though, so I guess this was to be expected
  • Canon sues can be made to work in the context. See Doctor Who.

• Equestria Girls was garbage that pretty much didn't add to the series in any positive way
  • Capsule episode that while it could have used fleshing out of some plot holes, was still entertaining and cute. You did come for the cute, right?

• The Flim Flam Brothers were pretty corny in an unamusing way
  • As snide conmen they fit the archetype well.

• Derpy Hooves is lamest face of fandom and should not have been allowed to breed.
  • I've seen worse. In person.

• Trixie, Lightning Dust and Rainbow Dash are two characters I love for their arrogance and ego trippin'
  • That's three characters. I see you enjoy a healthy dose of sociopathy with your cornflakes.

• Merriweather Williams could have done better with Wonderbolt Academy by using one of her previous endings
  • The ending was not the issue so much as the lack of Top Gun references. But perhaps that was from before your time.

• A Canterlot Wedding was basically Mass Effect 3 in that it had no true ending brought about due to the actions of the protagonists, and the ultimate evil was dispelled with a big, bs blast of magic out of nowhere
  • A Canterlot Wedding, much like Equestria Girls, is a capsule story arc that can exist in its own universe/multiverse. Other than introducing two supporting characters, it does not poisitively or negatively affect the enjoyment of prior or subsequent episodes.

• Earth Ponies are the bottom rung of pony society and Celestia help you if you're born as one
  • Earth ponies are the bottom rung of your society. It is not the writing of the show, but rather the fandom attitudes toward magic, alicorn ascension, and high fantasy that perpetuate racism, classism, and the thaumocentric view of a universe otherwise based on equality, compassion, and unity.

• The Apple Family lineage may have been created through an extensive line of inbreeding, due to the amounts of Apple-related talents and earth ponies within
  • Or written with a theme much like Mocha Delights and Butterscotch Sundae as characters.

• Unicorns are the best pony race
  • Unicorns are one of many ponies. Again, the sooner the fandom understands that class warfare and racial conflict are not needed to describe canon Equestria, the better.

And my own:

• Flash Sentry was one subplot away from good characterization in Equestria Girls.
  • Alicorn Twilight is still Twilight Sparkle.
  • Shining Armor and Cadence are fun characters with great designs.
  • Magical Mystery Cure is still amazing for its absolutely perfect pacing and execution.
  • Discord was an amusing novelty, but anarchy is overrated.

I am both fascinated and horrified as to where Alicorn Twilight will take us. As an analogy, 'You don't use a 20th level mage to clear a cellar of rats.'

EDIT: Sometimes fanon explanations stick with me more than canon ones if and when they're introduced.

E.g. unicorns keep their noses up not because they are snooty or looking down their noses at others but because they have a huge spike in the middle of their forehead.

Swap 'money' or 'gold' for 'crystals' and Prince Sombra becomes one of the most relatable or understandable villains of them all.

I am both fascinated and horrified as to where Alicorn Twilight will take us. As an analogy, 'You don't use a 20th level mage to clear a cellar of rats.'

I think given that Hasbro has decided to suck all the mystique and grandeur out of alicorns by making them as easy to become as clearing a 5th level adventure campaign, then it's safe to say that alicorns are no longer 'level 20 mage' tier.

• Like 1

I dislike the whole concept that Celestia is some sort of tyrant, which is popular in the fandom. Sure, it can be used to great comedic effect, like in the Princess Molestia Tumblr, but most of the fandom takes it a bit more seriously. I suppose it is based in the general republican* streak in American thought, which is by default antithetical to the idea of a monarchy. So of course their world should be like our world, and thus a monarchy must be tyrannical, which is unimaginative nonsense, not to mention hubris.

I am personally fine with Twilight being an alicorn even if the fandom freaked over it. I see Cadance and Twilight as not immortal like Luna and Celestia are, and having this sudden new level of responsibility and separation thrusted upon Twilight offers a lot of story potential.

I love the Canterlot Wedding and think it was way beyond people's expectations. I would have preferred that Cadance was a unicorn though.

I hate when people write earth ponies as some sort of underclass when that is never even hinted at in the series. This stems from people in the fandom being uncreative when it comes to magic, believing earth ponies don't have any when it is more likely it is all an inherent part of their presence instead of more apparent spell casting done by unicorns. People also have a have a skewed version of unicorn power, based on Twilight using her magic to such great effect, however it has been stated in the show that Twi's powers are exceptional and extremely rare, and most unicorns have just "a little bit of magic" geared towards their special talent.

People see Hurricane Fluttershy as redundant, but I feel it showed Rainbow Dash's growing maturity; something that came to the fore in Wonderbolt Academy and Sleepless in Ponyville.

I know people adore Fluttershy, but I don't feel her character is fleshed out well enough (still adorable as heck though).

I know people see VinylTavia as OTP in the fandom, but I much prefer them as roommates akin to the show "the Odd Couple" but at a more unacknowledged BFF level.

I can't stand the eyes of baby foals in the show, the missing whites of the eyes really weaken their ability to subtly express emotion and thus somewhat "dehumanizes" them.

Don't mind they reformed discord, but it should have been a two parter.

Magical Mystery Cure was great for what the writers were given. I understand it should have been something so much more, but as the creative team was granted only 22 minutes, what they did was amazing.

*When I say republicanism, I don't mean the GOP, I mean the original, non-party affiliated definition that is a contrast to monarchism.

• Like 1

I hate when people write earth ponies as some sort of underclass when that is never even hinted at in the series. This stems from people in the fandom being uncreative when it comes to magic, believing earth ponies don't have any when it is more likely it is all an inherent part of their presence instead of more apparent spell casting done by unicorns. People also have a have a skewed version of unicorn power, based on Twilight using her magic to such great effect, however it has been stated in the show that Twi's powers are exceptional and extremely rare, and most unicorns have just "a little bit of magic" geared towards their special talent.

This...

I too feel that the fandom thinks of the Earth Ponies as underclass denizens. I hate this is, especially since they are the only ones able to grow food. Kind of a big deal, don't you think? They're also noted to be good when dealing with animals, and the best of the three races by far. Other pony races may do this, but it is a rarity to behold. The only example that I remember of a non-Earth Pony doing exceptional with animals is Fluttershy, and she is a one-in-a-million in this regard. It's also been suggested that they hold immense physical strength, if not more than the other races.

I too feel that certain members of the fandom over glorify the power of a unicorn. People tend to forget that unicorns can only do one specific type of magic, often associated with their cutie mark, with the exception of telekinesis. Twilight Sparkle is a one-in-a-million when it comes to magic, so her magic prowess will outclass most others.

Unpopular opinions? Simple:

I veiw Celestia not as a tyrant but as a simple idealist,

I LOVE the idea of writing Alicorn OCs, and believe that you can write them and any race of character well provided you put enough thought and care into forging them,

I love building outside of Equestria's borders, and don't actually have much favor toward Equestria as a setting, and finally...

I hate shipping. I really hate it. It's usually groundless, and causes way, WAY more grief than necessary between fans. I do not, nor will I ever ship. Srsly. :I

That's not all of them of course, but those are the big ones.

I think people who say Princess Twilight is a Mary Sue either don't know what a Mary Sue is or don't understand Twilight's character. A character who works hard to overcome her flaws and is rewarded is not a Mary Sue.

I think given that Hasbro has decided to suck all the mystique and grandeur out of alicorns by making them as easy to become as clearing a 5th level adventure campaign, then it's safe to say that alicorns are no longer 'level 20 mage' tier.

What game are you playing where a level five adventurer is able to create a kind of magic never down before and masters her field of expertise?

The same one wherein the level five adventurer was granted demi-god rank simply for completing a 99.7% finished spell created by a level 20 mage, rather than actually create a new spell.

Also, if the creating of an entirely new spell warrants ascendancy to demi-god rank, I can only assume that Starswirl the Bearded was already an alicorn, given he had created time travel, and 80+% of the magic used in Equestria. Similiarly, anyone who created the other 19% must of also achieved alicorn ranking. And if we're assuming that the storybooks aren't a total nonsensical canon-break, then you don't even need to succeed in creating a new form of magic, since Cadance became an alicorn through little more than stopping a single villain with the power of love - and not even creating a new form of magic in the process.

So yeah. Level 5 adventurer tier = Alicorn rank

I always saw two levels of alicorn:

The lower, and achievable level, as done by Twilight and Cadance, through some incredible demonstration and understand of a fundamental emotional force to helps bind Equestria together, such as friendship or love. Although they do embody the three main pony types, have powerful magic, and are royalty, they do not equal the power of the sisters, nor are they immortal.

The upper, demi-god level, as represented by Luna and Celestia. They were likely born or created as such, or were the first to achieve alicorn status. They are near immoral and their powers are immense, even compared to Twilight and Cadance. They are not true gods as there are other being equal in strength, such as Chrysalis, but the closest mortal beings to godhood.

Well, Word of Faust was that Luna and Celestia'd of had parents, at least, so who knows how that all worked out. Either way it still does feel like it heavily undermines the mystique of alicorns - especially when neither Twilight nor Cadance were intended to be alicorns (or at least Twilight wasn't meant to become one this early) in the original ideas Faust had. But hey, gotta push those gender stereotyping pieces of merchandise, so who cares about narrative cohesion.

The same one wherein the level five adventurer was granted demi-god rank simply for completing a 99.7% finished spell created by a level 20 mage, rather than actually create a new spell.

Also, if the creating of an entirely new spell warrants ascendancy to demi-god rank, I can only assume that Starswirl the Bearded was already an alicorn, given he had created time travel, and 80+% of the magic used in Equestria. Similiarly, anyone who created the other 19% must of also achieved alicorn ranking. And if we're assuming that the storybooks aren't a total nonsensical canon-break, then you don't even need to succeed in creating a new form of magic, since Cadance became an alicorn through little more than stopping a single villain with the power of love - and not even creating a new form of magic in the process.

So yeah. Level 5 adventurer tier = Alicorn rank

I guess when Celestia said Twilight created new magic she was lying for no reason.

Starswirl might have made a time spell but did he create time magic? We know their are other kinds of time magic other then Starswirl's since there are aging spells that seem like they would be considered time magic.

It appears that once you master your talent you become an Alicorn. Not all Alicorn's are the same power level. Cadence only seems to have the love magic. Twilight is able to use all kinds of magic. Luna has magic based around the night. Celestia seems to be like Twilight in that she has some variety but less then Twilight.

Here's round two of my opinions:

• I'm not a fan of crossovers. I believe that MLP stories and what should remain just that, related only to ponies.
  • I don't like the eyes of foals as it makes them look like creepy dolls.
  • Each pony type has their own place in society.
  • I don't really give much attention to background characters (does the fact that I RP as one make me hypocritical)
  • I'm glad that Celestia got defeated in the Canterlot Wedding episodes. Don't get me wrong, I like Celestia, but having her defeated eliminated the idea that she and Luna were god-like beings who could not be hurt. It showed that Celestia, like other ponies, is imperfect.
  • I don't think that Lauren Faust's ideas are the end all be all of how the show should be viewed as. There are other writers putting their two bits into the story and with Faust not in the show's creation those writers will be the ones shaping the lore of MLP.
  • I liked Equestria Girls as a great side trip movie. Does it affect the canon? Not really, but it was still fun seeing Twilight try to adapt to a human world.
  • I liked the Flash Sentry idea for Equestria Girls. Let's face it in high school teens will learn, make friends, face bullies, and yes fall in love. So Flash helped out by making an innocent crush for Twilight.
  • I would like to see one of the Crusaders get their mark as it would be interesting to find out how the others would react.
  • I believe that part of Scootaloo's inability to fly well is due to perhaps not feeling that she will be as good as Rainbow Dash. Once she sees herself as great in her own way, it will help her to fly.

• I'm glad that Celestia got defeated in the Canterlot Wedding episodes. Don't get me wrong, I like Celestia, but having her defeated eliminated the idea that she and Luna were god-like beings who could not be hurt. It showed that Celestia, like other ponies, is imperfect.
  • I liked Equestria Girls as a great side trip movie. Does it affect the canon? Not really, but it was still fun seeing Twilight try to adapt to a human world.
  • I would like to see one of the Crusaders get their mark as it would be interesting to find out how the others would react.

I too feel that the fandom thinks of the Earth Ponies as underclass denizens. I hate this is, especially since they are the only ones able to grow food. Kind of a big deal, don't you think? They're also noted to be good when dealing with animals[...] Other pony races may do this, but it is a rarity to behold. The only example that I remember of a non-Earth Pony doing exceptional with animals is Fluttershy, and she is a one-in-a-million in this regard. It's also been suggested that they hold immense physical strength, if not more than the other races.

I too feel that certain members of the fandom over glorify the power of a unicorn. People tend to forget that unicorns can only do one specific type of magic, often associated with their cutie mark, with the exception of telekinesis. Twilight Sparkle is a one-in-a-million when it comes to magic, so her magic prowess will outclass most others.

I'm actually a huge fan of Twilight becoming a princess. The idea of the "earning your right to princess status" over having necessariy been born into it sat right with me. I never especiay found it a mary sue quaity. Actually, it just seemed like a natural evolution to her character.

[...]

Personally, I thought the timing was spot on. The series was starting to drag into a lull, and there needed to be some major catalyst to shift the story into a new direction, while still maintaining its core principles. The series shifting towards Twiight's adjustment to greater responsibility, while maintaining her knowledge and study on kindness and friendship, provides for a lot more diversity in terms of her specific character arch. She's not a student any more, not in the same way that she was, and I feel like this dynamic will play out in an interesting way. c: I was really pleased with the Equestria Girls movie because it discussed Twilight's insecurities in moving on with her life and newfound status as a leader. It kind of set the tone for what Season 4 -could- be.

I feel like them doing it as a series finale would have left a foul taste in my mouth. Reason being is that they would open up the door for an entirely NEW plot arch, but would then never address it or offer a sense of closure.

These...

Also,

- I like Luna for how she was in Luna Eclipsed and not fanon Luna.

- Twilight is not a mary sue, and never was.

- I did not dislike the Mysterious Mare-Do Well episode. It is good for Rainbow Dash to be knocked-down a few pegs every so often.

- I like Babs Seed (I'm not sure if this counts as unpopular).

- I like Scootaloo because she struggles to learn to fly.

- I like Hurricane Fluttershy for both Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash's character development.

- We do not have a lot of data from canon on Alicorns. Are they immortal, and in what sense (Tolkien Elf immortal or cannot be killed at all)? Can there be a naturally-born Alicorn (other than the Lesson Zero alicorn, which is likely an error)?

- Applejack is my second favorite character.

AJ is my favorite of the mane six. Although I do think that Faust has gone too far at times with her farm-raised attitude that just seemed unrealistic and less relatable..

I think that in season 1's finale, if Twilight had been only allowed to bring one of the other five AJ should have been the clear choice without a doubt. All the other ponies wanted to go for selfish reasons whereas AJ wanted to go to help sweet apple acres and the apple family. There was nothing selfish about her reason to want to go and that is why Twilight should have just said she was going to take her in the first place.

the fact that Twilight felt like each of the five had equally good reasons to go kind of put me off for the rest of the episode.

conclusion: smart as Twilight is portrayed to be, i think she can be a little dim witted at times...

• Like 2

AJ is my favorite of the mane six. Although I do think that Faust has gone too far at times with her farm-raised attitude that just seemed unrealistic and less relatable..

I think that in season 1's finale, if Twilight had been only allowed to bring one of the other five AJ should have been the clear choice without a doubt. All the other ponies wanted to go for selfish reasons whereas AJ wanted to go to help sweet apple acres and the apple family. There was nothing selfish about her reason to want to go and that is why Twilight should have just said she was going to take her in the first place.

the fact that Twilight felt like each of the five had equally good reasons to go kind of put me off for the rest of the episode.

conclusion: smart as Twilight is portrayed to be, i think she can be a little dim witted at times...

Yep. Personally, I like Dashie better than AJ, but I agree that AJ had the best reason to go to the gala.

Some people dare to be more merciful to Equestria Girls.

I do it in the company of friends so as not to ruin the vibe.

But personally? This review from a tvtroper really sums up my initial and still current deepest, darkest feelings on the film.

My Little Pony Equestria Girls film/book review by KM A10k 9th Jul 13

A Complete Waste.

If there was a dictionary in the world with a definition for the phrase "shameless, brainless, pointless, idiotic, self-destructive cash-in," you'd find a screenshot from Equestria Girls right there beside it.

There was no reason for this to be a movie. The whole thing runs only about seventy minutes, all in all, and to be honest, that's about forty or fifty more than it ever actually needed. It's loaded to bursting with pointless plot threads that go nowhere just for the sake of padding. Petty, transparent squabbles arise and get solved in the course of just a couple minutes, but they just keep coming, more and more and more and more, one after the other, none of them ever meaning anything, none of them ever bringing consequences or weight or emotional response. Twilight gets in trouble? Not to worry — less than one scene later, shallow non-character Flash Sentry bursts onto the scene proving her innocence, and the entire affair is dropped and forgotten as quickly as it came, leaving no impression, making no difference, never having any purpose at all to begin with. These meaningless little diversions make up the vast, vast bulk of the run time, and if they sound grating or obnoxious, then rest assured, they're even worse in person.

Take the virtually non-existent story, add a hopelessly generic villain, a contrived conflict, a handful of trashy, forgettable pseudo-pop musical numbers, a few ounces of remarkably forced fanservice, an ugly color palette, uncreative character designs, and you get a movie that talks down to its audience, and that's one thing MLP:Fi M never did before. It was never this openly, outwardly, unabashedly disrespectful and creatively bankrupt. It's a silly, brain-dead movie about a school dance, a popularity contest, and a lot of insults to its viewers' intelligence.

Whenever I see a kids' movie like this, the question I always ask to myself is whether I'd show it to my girlfriend's baby sister, a five-year-old girl who I love more than almost anything else in the world. Would I show her MLP? Absolutely. Would I show her Equestria Girls? Never. She's too smart for it. Most five-year-olds, I think, would be too smart for it.