Official Discussion Thread - S04E09 Apple Pie

Another week and that means another new episode to discuss! This week we get Apple Pie, the title that sounds like a fanfiction ship of our two earth ponies of the mane six. :smug::smirk: Anyway, unfortunately for the shippers, this episode will be about family, and what makes it, and not Applejack and Pinkie becoming a couple. :???::-o You'll always have your fanfics! We do get a song though! Please discuss (the episode, not the fan ship of these two :razz: ), we just ask that you keep spoilers hidden with the spoiler tag for those who haven't seen the episode yet (especially if any spoilers before the airing). Episode airs Saturday 10am EST (9am CST) on January 11th.

pinkie_pie__the_party_will_last_forever_by_averagedraw-d4xhyvi.png

All hail the Princess of Pie!

:D

Okay, I couldn't resist; just for you shippers:

52103%25252520-%25252520applejack%25252520applepie%25252520pinkie_pie%25252520shipping.jpg

:AJ:<3:Pinkie:

Great episode! Pinkie was in full Pinkie-ness, lots of face time for all of the Apple Family, and an interpretive yet sweet ending. It was great to see the song fully finished and animated; we've needed a catchy tune this season and this song delivered.

9.5/10!

I've often joked with the Apple Family RP group about Pinkie being an Apple (especially after Magical Mystery Cure),

So it's nice to see her become a fully canonized Apple!

Yeah, another good episode. :)

They're doing some interesting things with Applejack this season. Shared spotlights now with Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. I appreciate this since those have always been my two favorite shipping options for AJ, even though they haven't had an extensive amount of focus previously. Of course, by the premise, this episode might make some shippers look at ApplePie slightly differently now, but being that the relation proposed in the episode was both inconclusive and quite distant in the first place, I'm not sure that truly matters. Instead, I think it only strengthened things between Pinkie and AJ, as well as the rest of the Apple family.

It was really a pretty fun time. The song stands out a lot. We've known it would be since the summer when the animatic was released. The lyrics are great and it bounces attractively. Seeing it fully realized just makes it even more top rate, especially since the animation sequence is so lively and fun. I've loved all the songs so far this season, but it's certainly the catchiest and most easy to sing along with. It kind of set the mood for the episode and did it well.

The rest of the episode was pretty fun too. All of the Apple Family were written very much to the core of their character. I sometimes find Apple Bloom a little boring, but she was fun here. Granny Smith was hilarious and the continuing jokes around Big Mac's laconic nature were mostly effective. AJ was very much AJ in this episode. Still trying too hard. The lesson for her maybe reads a little bit like what she learned in Apple Family Reunion, thought I think it's different enough. In fact, she kind of goes in the opposite way with her enthusiasm; where she once missed the point of what made family time great, now she's trying too hard to force it.

Pinkie was the real star of the episode for me though. She was hilarious as ever. Andrea Libman had a great performance this week out, giving an infectious energy to Pinkie as she enthused about her new family connection. It was all pretty adorable. Just watching her react--or fail to react-- to everything that happened was a lot of fun. The trip through that cave of horrors stands out in proving to me that really Pinkie is completely fearless. She definitely takes her giggle at the ghosties mantra seriously and if Luna Eclipsed is an indicator, only lets herself get scared when she wants to be scared. It's kind of fun.

It was a road trip episode, something we haven't seen much and something which was surprisingly satisfying. The trip was pretty amusing and the pay off in arriving at the destination was pretty good too. Not in that anything was gained, but in that seeing this cat lady hoarder relation of the Apples was pretty hilarious. I don't know what I was expecting, but that was just very well done. There was a lot of smart visual gags and humor this episode actually.There was even humor in what we couldn't see; the call to not show us the insides of that tunnel just made it all the more hilarious. The storyboarders need to be commended on this one for making it all work so well.

In a season full of promising debuts for new writers, we have yet another. Natasha Levinger knew pretty well what she was doing here. I probably like last week's episode more on account of Rarity bias, but speaking objectively, this one is probably one of the least flawed and most enjoyable so far. Just a very fun, cute episode. I enjoyed it a lot.

It does leave us with the question of just who's family history Twi was researching at the beginning and why though. I wonder...

That was fun.

So, is Pinkie an Apple?

On TV Tropes it is claimed that Golden Delicious takes a book from the bottom of a pile without toppling them just as Pinkie did with the scrolls at the beginning, and Golden eating a gingerbread house is a very Pinkie sort of thing to do (though plenty of ponies would like that too). Signs that Golden is related to Pinkie?

Heh. That's an interesting idea. I noticed the scrolls and books but didn't really think about it. Maybe this is Pinkie's future? :P

Probably not though. She's crazy, buf she's never seemed crazy cat lady crazy to me. :D

LOVED this episode! One of the best of Season 4 so far!!!

This episode was fun from start till finish! I loved the interaction between all the Apple family members and it showed that they are not the 'perfect' family, but in the end, they are a loving, nurturing group. Pinkie Pie made this episode really special! Loved not only her usual randomness but her undying optimism too! I'm glad to see that Pinkie's now an Apple relative! I actually liked the leaked version of the Apples to the Core song better than the one that played. Oh well!

Another episode is in the history books and with that, it's that time once again to provide my thoughts.

To quote from my tweet this morning:

"What an episode! Pinkie was fantastic, the Apples, although there were a few fights along the way were great also. Great ep."

Now for those who haven't seen the episode just yet, I have spoilered my thoughts on the episode below out of respect:

Ever since seeing the Comic-Con animatic of the Apples to the Core song a couple of months ago when the new season was being previewed, I knew that this episode would be a must watch for this season and they were right in that department.

I don't have an exact feeling on the episode itself, but seeing Pinkie at her classic finest with her wacky, crazy and off the wall style from previous seasons was a great addition to the episode, especially during the family trip part with her own style of photography (during the cave scene especially) and also the use of scrapbooking as well.

Applejack and the Apple family were also great as always and the addition of a humorous family fight scene or two really brought the best out of them.

Storywise, the episode was well written and really conveyed the message across and the song itself was yet another toe tapper that didn't disappoint.

Apart from that, this episode was a great one to watch.

I also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

To keep personal history brief, I do not come from a big family. Meanwhile, my wife has kin stretched across the Midwest. So yeah, this episode resonated a little. That being said, HEADCANON UPDATED! I loved everything about this episode! When the wagon just fell apart at the end of the song! The crazy cat pony! The dust cat! I was in stitches the whole time!

That was fun.

So, is Pinkie an Apple?

On TV Tropes it is claimed that Golden Delicious takes a book from the bottom of a pile without toppling them just as Pinkie did with the scrolls at the beginning, and Golden eating a gingerbread house is a very Pinkie sort of thing to do (though plenty of ponies would like that too). Signs that Golden is related to Pinkie?

Wow what a neat little hint. I'm gonna have watch that scene again.

And as for my opinion, this is my new favorite episode of season 4. It was sweet, adorable, and had a wonderful song I could listen to for hours. The writing was splendid and it had so many great, hilarious, and heartwarming moments. :D Just an all around sweet episode that makes me love the apple family (and Pinkie Pie) even more. It was predictable, but that's hardly a flaw in my opinion. especially when the writing was so good. Now if you excuse me, I'm off to search Apples to the Core on Youtube.

I notice about that too ever since Equestria Daily mentioned about it, plus, http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/01/that-moment-when-you-realize.html Meghan at her Twitter mentioned about it when normally people expect Derpy to make another cameo, but that shadowy figure? :o

Took me a bit to get to it, but finally watched it. Very happy, two great songs in a row! (sorry,didnt really like bats) Really glad we're getting more musical sequences this season!

Lots of interesting bits and pieces, good to see the other apples get more screentime, and Big Mac almost had several long lines! lol

Keep in mind though, Pinkie, if she is related, is still a DISTANT relative, though she treats it like she's a lot closer ("...but that's exactly like a sister!") it'll be interesting to see how or if this changes things in future episodes.

Did find it rather odd how musical AB was this episode... maybe pinkie rubbed off on her a little.,,?

Forgot to review this episode, but 4.5 out of 5 for me. Good fun like MLP usually is. Too bad the writers didn't have the guts to disprove Pinkie's blood connection to the Apple family though, it would have been interesting to see how they'd explain the usefulness of a trip that technically was a waste of time. :P

Archived