S02EP01 - "The Return of Harmony, part 1"

THEY LIED TO US

Jayson Thiessen promised in an interview that there would be no references to Salvador Dali, but then there was this:

G5Nso.gif

Look familiar?

303r3.png

Looks like Discord got to Jayson Thiessen too! Ha-Rumph!

Edit: Oh wow, I was kidding when I posted it, but the composition of those two images is so similar, that maybe it was intentional.

Edited by Dessa
  • Like 3

I really enjoyed it. I can't wait for the episodes to go up on iTunes :kissy:

A few thoughts while watching the episode...

- CMC FIELD TRIP TAKERS... Yay! Does Equestria still have Dodos or are they extinct too? Can't help but feel Scootaloo is destined to be called many birds from this point onward.

- Pink clouds, chocolate rain?! Is Pinkie Pie trying out some new party games or new pranks?

- Stylish Rarity is Stylish.

- OMG creepy bunnies!

- I will never call Celestia Trollestia or Molestia, serious business Celestia commands respect... Wait, does that mean she's Serioustia now?

I could go on and on, but I literally woke up earlier than I should for the sole sake of watching this and I have to say that after 4 or so months of waiting...

OMG THIS WAS AWESOME! I honestly thought Discord was going to be a push over but he's deliciously devious! I can't wait for next week! :kissy:

-

I wasn't TOO far off with my initial guess though. I had said Discord would be a shapeshifter that would sew 'discord' among the Mane Six so they wouldn't represent the Elements of Harmony anymore.

Now it will be up to Twilight to help restore the bonds of friendship between her friends before it's too late.

just wondering, how long after an episode airs should we keep using spoilers in topics that aren't about the new episodes? I would think that using them for major spoilers would be something we should do out of courtesy, at least for a few days.

I would assume everybody knows about the chocolate rain and what discord looks like by now though

also, I LOVE this episode :kissy: can't wait for next week!

was I the only one bothered by the fact of his umbrella making a meowing noise, and opening the wrong way?

and can I just say, that I simply love Fluttershy? lol

Anyways, loved this episode1

Though waiting for next week's episode is going to be BRUTAL D:

Kinda wish Discord becomes a reoccuring character...

kinda.

Ok, just watched the episode.

Can't help feeling I've just watched an episode of Star Trek.

With John De Lancie voicing, and even the mannerisms and character traits of Discord are all... Q.

This isn't to say I didn't like it. I'm assuming it's simply perhaps another nod to the more mature/nerdier audience member.

Other observations:

* Different camera angles are being used in this episodes. Looks like Animators are experimenting more.

* Some CGI-ish effects used, like the pan from left to right of Discord in the window. The in-set window and the wall surrounding it rotated with the camera panning in a more 3D style.

My prediction for ep2:

Rainbow dash has been deliberately sent away as a plot mechanism. Something will happen to :TSparkle: Twilight then :RDash: RD will have a revelation (or knock to the head or something) and come back to save the day.

I've a sneaky feeling that :Luna: Luna won't even play a part in any of this story arc.

Just my views.

From what we have seen of Dashies behavior all through Season one, I would have to guess that Discord is the one who cheated and not Dash. My theory (that we will have to wait a week to see the results of) is that Dash is so torn on indecision on wether or not to save Cloudsdale or her friends, she's curled up in a ball in front of the wrapped box of wings, a quivering wreck of indecision. and what was seen flying away was an illusion so Discord could claim he won.

From what we have seen of Dashies behavior all through Season one, I would have to guess that Discord is the one who cheated and not Dash. My theory (that we will have to wait a week to see the results of) is that Dash is so torn on indecision on wether or not to save Cloudsdale or her friends, she's curled up in a ball in front of the wrapped box of wings, a quivering wreck of indecision. and what was seen flying away was an illusion so Discord could claim he won.

I like that, Boss! Sounds like that could be the answer, but not before somehow Twilight rallies to bring her friends back together.

just wondering, how long after an episode airs should we keep using spoilers in topics that aren't about the new episodes? I would think that using them for major spoilers would be something we should do out of courtesy, at least for a few days.

I think that once it's up on youtube it's fair game :grin:

I liked the episode. I've noticed it's much darker than the previous ones though. In terms of characters (frankly, Discord is way creepier and mischievous than Nightmare Moon) and of colors as well. Everything is grayer, and Discord actually "grayens" the ponies. I liked the very colorful universe of season one, but I don't mind, it's still fun ! I'm very curious as to how the primary public (=little girls) will react though.

So this is Q's latest form, eh? He couldn't defeat Picard, so now he has to pick on the Ponies! :sniff:

This will not stand, man. This aggression will not stand.

I was amazed that they got John de Lancie to do the voice for this chimeric-looking creature. As soon as I recognized his voice my mood was exponentially better. :D

With John De Lancie voicing, and even the mannerisms and character traits of Discord are all... Q.

This isn't to say I didn't like it. I'm assuming it's simply perhaps another nod to the more mature/nerdier audience member.

Oh, you know it is. It's a blatant nod to the Q from Star Trek! :D And this what makes the show even more awesome. I hope to see even more cultural references more adults will get.

I'm still waiting for them to do the Manticore/Tarkus battle as the season finale. >:) (I dream way too much.)

I loved the episode, but it seemed to be a little more for adults, since the story is a bit darker?

Or is it just my crazy logic?

No, I had the same feeling as well. The world was grayer, less colorful, the archvillain was a bigger villain than nightmare moon, and did meaner tricks on the ponies.

I am really curious to see the little girls' reaction to this episode, if we ever find a way to know it, to be honest.

I'm interested in what they give us next week, but I was definitely entertained by the season premiere. Discord reminds me of a less-serious Jafar or Scar, and I like that. Are they gonna ultra-kill him or send him somewhere where he could potentially return? Hmm...

As for the episode itself, it employed some new techniques, but it all just felt rushed. It seemed that with ALL THE COMMERCIALS that they aired, it lasted less than 22 minutes. Seriously, it was like every other minute there was a new set of commercials.

On another note: as much as I enjoyed staying up all night, watching the season 1 marathon, I will never again do that for a pony vid. Since the guy who posted the vid that's on the page appears to be a quick one, I'll just wait for him to post it in HD QUALITY and then go from there.

9 AM Central September 16, to what will probably be about 1 or 2 AM Central, September 18. Whoo!