Howzabout Disney Afternoon? It was all about Gummi Bears, Talespin, Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers!

I think Cartoon Network -- as well as the other popular networks -- have definitely hit a decline. But...as long as the Hub isn't going anywhere, I suppose all is right in the world.

• Like 1

I miss the old cartoon network. :( /crys

Anyway, the new cartoon network is just so damn random.

Most of the shows suck terribly.

I've found Adventure Time to be cool though, and I like Regular Show. MAD is interesting, bit I think its too much for CN. The amazing world of gumball is interesting to say the least. These shows will never compare to Courage the Cowardly Dog or Johnny Bravo or anything though. Adult Swim keeps me coming back.

I dont have pay TV, I have SBS, ABC and the internet.

woo for me, I guess?

The link on the first page gives a 404, but... annoying-orange-to-star-in-cartoon.html

*facehoof* (oww). seriously? Annoying orange to star in a cartoon?

Next It will be keyboard cat with its own live action show... hey, get hub on the line!

I have to admit it... I really think Cartoon Network is horrible now. What ever happened to watching Dexter's Laboratory or Ed Edd n' Eddy on that channel? What happened to Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends?

They all had series finales, excluding Dexter's lab. Besides this, parents became more protective and subject matters of cartoons changed.

I mean really, what parent now would let an 8 year old watch shows like Ren and Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life? (It's Nickelodeon, but same applied concept)

I only watch CN nowadays because of The Looney Toons show. Yes, I like the new Looney Toons, even the Merrie Melodies. I thought Daffy Duck the Wizard was pretty funny, especially since it has a Princess Celestia in it (I shat bricks when I heard those two words while watching the show), and the fact that they put so much effort in the animation for comedy is admirable. The only thing to The Looney Toons show is that It's modernized, and they do a pretty good job at that.

Its strange, I watched some of those old Carton Network shows like Ed, Edd, and Eddy; Dexter's Lab, Power Puff Girls and a few others, and yeah they were good. Flipping through Cartoon Network today though, they seem to have those same few premiere shows: Regular Show, (New) Looney Toons, and Adventure Time are three I have watched and felt had the same amount of humor and pushed the same boundaries (actually they push the boundaries further than the old shows). So the overall quality hasn't changed in what is allowed, or the writing talent nearly as much as you all have changed.

Now hear me out. We all suffer from that rose-tint in our virtual glasses when it comes to nostalgia. All those old cartoons that folks here listed off as great and "when things were good" were the cartoons you all grew up with, they were "your" shows, part of your childhood. Any program today that is compatible in quality (and they are) isn't going to live up to that old nostalgic time when you were a kid and watched "your shows". Those old shows will always be special to you, but in time it will dawn that they weren't really any better than what is out today, (with one or two exceptions for those seminal cartoons that made a different in animation itself, like Batman or FiM) . I still have nostalgic love for my Eighties cartoons, to me they were of course "the best". Going back and watching them all on DVD or on Youtube, well, came the realization they are rather crappy. The animation isn't as good as I remembered, the dialog is more stilted, the acting secondary, and the stories are a bit more lame than I recall. None of that matters though, they were still "my cartoons" and I still love them, even with all the horribleness.

10-20 years form now, those who are kids today will say how the time around 2010 had the best cartoons.

I remember loving to watch Action League Now! and Prometheus and Bob on Nickelodeon. I also loved watching the Sonic cartoons back in the mid to late nineties but that was because I was still in elementary school. I look back on it now and I can't bear to watch it now even though it's on Netflix.... I guess I just don't want to break the rose tinted lenses of that show for me.

I agree that the cartoon industry should really just be plain embarrassed of themselves as of lately. An annoying orange cartoon would seem very unlikable. However, I have learned my lesson about judging cartoons too early. If I would have seen a thread that criticized the idea of MLP coming out with another 'girly' cartoon, my mind would have been more closed to watching it and it would have been less likely that I would be a brony now. It doesn't sound like something that would be good. But because of Gen 4 MLP, I'm willing to give pretty much everything a shot now, regardless of how ridiculous it may sound.

Going back and watching them all on DVD or on Youtube, well, came the realization they are rather crappy. The animation isn't as good as I remembered, the dialog is more stilted, the acting secondary, and the stories are a bit more lame than I recall. None of that matters though, they were still "my cartoons" and I still love them, even with all the horribleness.

10-20 years form now, those who are kids today will say how the time around 2010 had the best cartoons.

I totally see what you are saying, but I'd also like to point out that the change from traditional animation to Flash and CGI-based animation has both helped and hurt the cartoon industry. Then FiM came along and changed it up again. I really do think it set a new benchmark that other series in the future should try to live up to, or go beyond. Maybe we really enjoy it because it gives us that nostalgia of the old animated series we really used to enjoy as kids.

Also SWAT Kats. Yeessss. (I used to have the biggest crush on Chance.)

OIR0f.jpg

The network is much better off than it was just a few short years ago. I used to pass it over in favor of the Weather channel. At least it has a small handful of good shows, and heck, we could easily make it better- if it could show FiM and some other Hub shows and got the rights to some great old Nick cartoons like Angry Beavers, then it would have a lineup that all week long would be entertaining. Plus, I wish it would close down that stupid Boomerang thing and put their work on CN instead. Imagine a lineup all day long of Powerpuff Girls, Teen Titans, FiM, Courage, Dexter's Lab, Foster's, Adventure Time, Regular Show, the new G.I. Joe, Angry Beavers, Rocko's, Ducktales, etc.

Make it a real CARTOON Network. You could cut down on re-runs, too, and increase ratings tremendously. Cheaper than producing new animated television.

All Cartoon Network has going for it now is Adventure Time, Regular Show, rare blocks of reruns from the older shows, Thundercats (maybe), Looney Tunes Show (maybe) and MAD (BIG Maybe, although they will be doing a MLP/War Horse cross-over on the 13th, so that may be worth a look)

Still, better than Nickelodeon. I'll start watching that again when Korra arrives. Avatar is all Nick has going for it. They should stop milking the Spongebob franchise. The only ones worth watching are the rare occasions they rerun the older cartoons.

As for Disney Channel? I guess Phineas and Ferb is okay, but not by much. Everything else can be thrown in a fire for all I care.

HUB is doing good. Their reruns are always fun (BATMAN! :kissy: ) and MLP is fresh and new.

I heard they may be bringing back Courage the Cowardly Dog..... but I could be 100% dead wrong about that.... Still if they did, I may have to give them a little more respect.