That was definitely my favorite "Dear Princess Celestia". That song went on forever! Did it remind anyone else of the Monorail song from the Simpsons? Also, Lyra seemed to do a lot more stuff in the background, her faces had more expression, and she jumped up out of the crowd when the rest of the Mane 6 went to join the Apples. Maybe she's becoming the new "Derpy easter egg?"

Okay, so I'm not the only one who spotted lots of Lyra. I also saw at least three Lyra and Bon Bon together. And a Bon Bon crowd clone.

Okay, so I'm not the only one who spotted lots of Lyra. I also saw at least three Lyra and Bon Bon together. And a Bon Bon crowd clone.

There was a pretty obvious Doctor Whooves one too, when one of them is standing next to the hourglass. When I saw him I thought, "is his special talent just flipping hour glasses?" Then again, there would be quite a few ponies with that talent..

Yeah. I noticed Dr. Hooves' scene too. I gotta wonder if that's all he does? Just go around flipping hourglasses? I bet there's more to it than that...

Always thought an hourglass was a weird cutie mark...

Still, good to see him do something in an episode.

I said everything in chat already, but this was a good episode, not great. Lots of fun stuff, but as a whole... eh. Still enjoyable to watch.

That was definitely my favorite "Dear Princess Celestia". That song went on forever! Did it remind anyone else of the Monorail song from the Simpsons?

EXACTLY what I thought. Monorail was in my mind the whole time.

EDIT:

120309%20-%20Flam%20monorail.png

Apparently Cider in the UK is commonly alcoholic. You lucky brits!

One of my favourite drinks in fact. That also made this episode hilarious. It's an episode about Dash desperate to get drunk. :blah:

About the song in this episode, I was just realizing it, but I think this is not only the first song performed not just chiefly by supporting characters, but without much if any singing from any of the mane six at all. I mean, after the Flim Flam Brothers it was Granny Smith that had the biggest singing part in it, not any of the mane characters. That makes is quite unique among the songs in the show.

And then it is probably also the longest song yet. Interesting. I wonder what it will indicate in regards to future songs.

I'd love to see more songs from more minor or supporting characters personally. :)

hi hi

I thought it was an incredibly clever episode, maybe not as fun as the last one, but it had that nice heart warming kind of quality to it that I enjoy. A simple tale with an interesting twist.

I was wondering if they were going to find a way to show off the up sides as well as the down sides of competition and in my opinion, they pulled it off magnificently. Good, useful competition is about pushing yourself to be better, not about crushing your opponent into oblivion. Thats just blood letting and destruction. Its like in sports, you can't have an exciting game unless both teams do a good job, and winning doesn't mean the other guys disappear forever. You can't have a big win without a worthy opponent.

And so we see how you can work together and compete at the same time, and it shows how when one company cheats to get a monopoly, it usually means quality goes down for everyone. But at the same time, the competition still drove the apple family to make enough cider for everyone, so it wasn't entirely bad either. I can dig it. :)

Fluttershy going super fast at the beginning was just more proof that she can go fast when she's pressed, and perhaps another subtle tie in to the theme of competition?

Also: Rainbow Dash waking up Fluttershy in the early morning? Rainbow Dash running with Big Macintosh? Is that the sound of ships being launched that I hear?

Also Also: Who are these two ponies?

120400%20-%20background_ponies%20name_this_ponies.png

Sparky and Tune Up?

Edit: Oh, no wait! Bolt Hammer and Bolt Turner, the bolt sisters!

• Like 2

Anyone else pick up on the allusion to John Henry?

Well... the whole episode was kinda-sorta a ponified version of the legend really xD

Pony vs. Machine.

Although the final outcome was kinda skewed a bit, Pony still ended up winning~

I think in this ep, maybe the citizens of Ponyville also learned a lesson about the value of patience and QUALITY over QUANTITY when it comes to creating things like cider.

One could argue that for the first time, this was a COLLECTIVE lesson learned (even IF Applejack already knew it).

:D:D:D:D:D

Fluttershy going super fast at the beginning was just more proof that she can go fast when she's pressed, and perhaps another subtle tie in to the theme of competition?

Fluttershy wasn't going super fast of her own accord though :3

Dashie pushed her up to those super fast speeds.

Fluttershy flew along for a bit, continuing on at the speed that Dash pushed her up to (due to the initial momentum) as RD was flying circles around her talking about the cider and such.

And then Dash had to push her along again to maintain those super fast speeds.

Shy wasn't motivated AT ALL by the cider.

She was pretty much half asleep still xD

Loved this episode!

Liked Flim and Flam. They reminded me of a vaudville/ Gilbert and Sullivan duo. Their song was fun too.

Loved the fun competition with the rest of the Mane Six getting in on the fun.

And the moral/ lesson? "Ah learned nothin'! Ah was right all along!" Brilliant!

hi hi

I thought it was an incredibly clever episode, maybe not as fun as the last one, but it had that nice heart warming kind of quality to it that I enjoy. A simple tale with an interesting twist.

I was wondering if they were going to find a way to show off the up sides as well as the down sides of competition and in my opinion, they pulled it off magnificently. Good, useful competition is about pushing yourself to be better, not about crushing your opponent into oblivion. Thats just blood letting and destruction. Its like in sports, you can't have an exciting game unless both teams do a good job, and winning doesn't mean the other guys disappear forever. You can't have a big win without a worthy opponent.

And so we see how you can work together and compete at the same time, and it shows how when one company cheats to get a monopoly, it usually means quality goes down for everyone. But at the same time, the competition still drove the apple family to make enough cider for everyone, so it wasn't entirely bad either. I can dig it. :)

Also: Rainbow Dash waking up Fluttershy in the early morning? Rainbow Dash running with Big Macintosh? Is that the sound of ships being launched that I hear?

Also Also: Who are these two ponies?

120400%20-%20background_ponies%20name_this_ponies.png

Sparky and Tune Up?

Edit: Oh, no wait! Bolt Hammer and Bolt Turner, the bolt sisters!

Thor pony lol?

Great episode!

At the end the twins were kinda stupid. Why not sell the good ones? :/

• Like 1

Thor pony lol?

Great episode!

At the end the twins were kinda stupid. Why not sell the good ones? :/

Thor was the first name that came to mind for me too xD

And yeah, I didn't quite care for how the resolution came about.

They won an ENTIRE farm, fair and square. It was officially THEIRS.

But just because no one wanted to buy their terrible, rushed variant of cider they decided they didn't want the farm AT ALL?

And they're clearly salesman types: the kind of folks who'd do whatever it would take to squeeze out every last cent from their customers.

But they just completely GIVE UP the farm?

Even for a "kid's show," that just seems overly silly :/

Thor pony lol?

Great episode!

At the end the twins were kinda stupid. Why not sell the good ones?

I think because by the end they had made so many bad barrels they were unable to discern the good from the bad.

I have to say, I wish there would have been an after scene with celestia reading that letter. That has to be my favorite letter to celestia yet.

I didn't learn a darn thing! :smug:

Gotta say, song was catchy, but i didn't catch some of the lyrics... *looks up for later use* I find it funny that the longest song so far was sung by two people who will probably never be seen again.

OOOOHHH So THAT'S how 'the doctor' got his cutie mark! he wasn't a time lord after all... Or... maybe he's been jumping around Equestria for a while trying to get cider... and not succeeding... "Damnit! i've been running around for years now and STILL havent gotten a drop of cider!"

Granny: "Sunny you look familiar."

"uh... nope..."