The Fall of Cartoon Network

CN started out okay, then a little later when Samurai Jack, Dexter's Laboratory, Teen Titans and so much other goodies was a smash before 2007 hit. Then came 2008, where it became full of pointless and gross humor and is still continuing.

Until Adventure Time came. Never seen it, but I bet its good.

• 1 month later...

I actually think CN has better momemtum than it did when it first "changed" (Y'know, the Juniper Lee, Lazlo, Amy and Yumi era), it got some of its edge back with Regular Show and Gumball (really what kids show says "suck" and "crap" nowadays). I only wish they would get rid of their live action stuff. It needs more shows with that "edge", Annoying Orange is not going to cut it CN, I'm sorry, it was stupid on YouTube, it'll be stupid on T.V.

Yeah. The live action stuff needs to go.

Still, I'm a happy camper with this channel. My DVR usually scoops up: Green Lantern, Regular Show, Adventure Time, Young Justice, Venture Brothers..And a few others. If they dump the Live action and make "Adult Swim" awesome again, I'd be a happy camper. :blush:

I personally hope the hub NEVER works with Cartoon network. I don't want Stuart Synder's poisonous little fingers anywhere NEAR My Little Pony!

Perhaps after a long enough run of support from the brony community, Studio B and the Hub will be well funded enough to branch out to other networks. Nickelodeon could use some pony love.

Frankly the cancelation of Toonami and Cartoon Cartoon Fridays was the last straw for me. They tried to bring back the feel of Toonami with that steaming pile they called "Magoozi" but it just flopped... And don't get me started on the Live action hosted knock off of Cartoon Cartoon Fridays they aired for two months in 2009.

Also... who the hell let Andrew W.K. on a KIDS show?!

I personally hope the hub NEVER works with Cartoon network.

MLP already airs on Cartoon Network in some countries.

Nickelodeon could use some pony love.

I personally hope the hub NEVER works with Nickelodeon. (Eh... it's just not their Genre. I think it fits good with CN.) Nickelodeon doesn't have a lot of good shows. The Penguins of Madagascar and Kung-Fu Panda are alright, but I think they're kind of building off the fame of the movies. Fairly Oddparents is great, but it's been around for several years, and for good reason. T.U.F.F Puppy is alright for a kids show, but it kind of goes for the stupid = funny angle, as does Spongebob Squarepants. Other than that, it's a bunch of little kids shows and a 9 hour adult block from evening until morning. Although they do have Korra on the weekends. Other than Fairly Oddparents, seemingly the only redeeming show.

Although you could argue the same for Cartoon Network, I think they have a better line up than Nickelodeon. Adventure Time and Regular Show are excellent, as they seem to push the PG rating (more so AT), and therefore appear to a wider audience. In addition, CN has continuously had good programming, although like all stations, had their goods and bads. Comparably, I think they fare better than Nickelodeon.

Frankly the cancelation of Toonami

Shows get old, just like programming blocks. But Toonami is back.

Toonami? It's back.

Cartoon Network Brings Back Classics With “Cartoon Planet” Starting Friday

Toonami RETURNS on May 26!

Also, I agree with those people who say the live action thing should go. CN is probably just trying to compete with Disney, whose show base seems to be live action stuff.

I feel bad for the actors on Level Up though. I don't know if it's the director/writer/etc. making them look like terrible actors... or if they're terrible actors. I hope they have a nice contract with CN, because no one else is going to higher them.

I knew Level Up was going to be bad from the commercials. But one day, it came on after some other show on CN. I thought I would give it a shot. Maybe the commercial was just a bad portrayal. Nope, this show is just awful. The acting is awful, the graphics are awful, the characters might be Mary Sue (but I couldn't stick around to see)... There's not even a good redeeming character or quality in it.

It's sad to see Cartoon Network, which seemed to be doing very well from 2001 - 2007 die like that. It's a lesson in really bad mistakes happening at once:

• Get rid or tried and true shows like Megas XLR, Teen Titans, Ben 10, Dexter's Laboratory, Samurai Jack, etc.
  • Get rid of Toonami.
  • Allow really bad new cartoons to apppear.
  • Allow live action shows that are also bad.

Obviously the owners don't know the saying: "If it isn't broke, don't fix it."

So now to fix this, CN has to reverse most if not all of those decisions.

Obviously the owners don't know the saying: "If it isn't broke, don't fix it."

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it was broken. The outside viewers don't get to see show ratings, viewer statistics, etc. People are always looking for the next big thing, and a show can only cut it for so long.

Also, Teen Titans kind of screwed itself with that Season 5. I think they were trying to hard.

Other shows like Dexter's Laboratory, Samurai Jack, and the Powerpuff Girls were passed their time. Sure, they were still good, but media upgrades. You don't keep making hand drawn movies when you can do it by computer. The same applies to TV shows. When there's a new way to make shows, you have to keep with the times. Changing the media of a show wouldn't be right, so the best option is to take it off the air.

Yep. Shows only stay fresh and successful for so long. And I wonder if some of these shows, so fondly remembered, were all that popular to begin with.

Good cartoons have always been in the minority. Just aint easy to find em. Anywhere.

Meh. They still put out a ton of fun shows...Still, I'd love to see the return of "Samuri Jack". Did that show actually have an "ending"? Or was it just canceled and left open? I hate when that happens. :wail:

I remember when they canceled SJ and they explained why then. The studio and team doing SJ was given an "offer they could not refuse" from Lucasfilms to do 15 minute shorts of the "Clone Wars" in the same style as SJ for Cartoon Network. (This seems to be what they based the current CGI series on...)

This required the selfsame artists working on SJ and meant they could do one or the other but not both, as Gennedy explained in an interview.

I had strong hopes they would jump right back on Samurai Jack as a series and finish it or at least do an OAV DVD release tying up all the loose ends, back when the hand-drawn look was still current.

Ooops! Cartoon Network! Y U DUMB AT LOGIC!?

• 1 month later...

Ah, I agree with so many people here. I think a bunch of the channels like Nick and Disney are going downhill, with a couple of good shows here and there. I don't really watch Disney anymore. Maybe to watch the occasional classic Disney movie, but other than that, not really. I watch Nick mostly for the Fairly Oddparents, Korra, and the 90's Nick shows. When Viacom bought over most of Nick, that's when Spongebob died. I was pretty upset, because the old episodes were just amazing. I personally hate Viacom for nearly everything. Cartoon Network, I stopped watching completely. I want to check out Adventure Time and the Regular Show, but I never seem to be able to. Shows like samurai Jack, Johnny Bravo, and Courage, Foster's, and all those others were amazing.

I love CN I dont see the problem you people have with it, but maybe the Dutch one is different hmm? we have, Invader Zim Samurai Jack (is aired often) Thundercats ,Starwars the clone wars, gumball, adventure time, Flapjack, Scooby doo (the awesome classic) hero 108 (though I think that's really MEH) and so on, most of the shows they air are awesome IMO I think you're forgetting they cant only air the things you like.

People severely overreact with how "horrible" Cartoon Network was. Yes, the live action stuff is kinda horrible, but the cartoons themselves are still good. Adventure Time is one of the best things on air, and Regular Show isn't too bad, either. And I don't understand the hate Chowder and Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack got; Chowder was filled with hilarious references to other media and though it seems like a stupid show on the surface, there were a lot of intelligent jokes sprinkled throughout. Same with Flapjack, only doubly so; it seemed even stupider than Chowder, but ultimately wound up having more references and being more intelligent than Chowder.

Let's see...Green Lantern, Clone Wars, Young Justice, Thundercats, Adventure Time (Man! That show can get grim-dark!) Regular Show, Venture Brothers...I wish more channels would "fall" like CN. :blah:

I want to check out Adventure Time and the Regular Show, but I never seem to be able to. Shows like samurai Jack, Johnny Bravo, and Courage, Foster's, and all those others were amazing.

Adventure Time is good. It's rated PG, but I think sometimes it may border PG-13. Regular Show is different, but kind of on the same maturity level as Adventure Time. If you want to watch the older 'good' shows, check out Cartoon Planet on Fridays.

I love CN I dont see the problem you people have with it, but maybe the Dutch one is different hmm? we have, Invader Zim Samurai Jack (is aired often) Thundercats ,Starwars the clone wars, gumball, adventure time, Flapjack, Scooby doo (the awesome classic) hero 108 (though I think that's really MEH) and so on, most of the shows they air are awesome IMO I think you're forgetting they cant only air the things you like.

Yeah... not quite like the American line up. Cartoon Network here doesn't even play Invader Zim or Samurai Jack anymore.

Let's see... we've got Johnny Test, Lego Ninjago, Korra, The Amazing World of Gumball, Regular Show, Adventure Time, Level Up, MAD, Young Justice... Recently I did see Thundercats and Star Wars, so they play that too, but maybe only when there is a new season? Don't show Flapjack anymore, and the only Scooby Doo I see are the movies. So meh, it does differ, I'd say. Heck, some countries play FiM on CN.

And I don't understand the hate Chowder and Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack got; Chowder was filled with hilarious references to other media and though it seems like a stupid show on the surface, there were a lot of intelligent jokes sprinkled throughout. Same with Flapjack, only doubly so; it seemed even stupider than Chowder, but ultimately wound up having more references and being more intelligent than Chowder.

Really? I've seen Chowder and Flapjack on Cartoon Planet (only time I gave them a chance), and I'm finding about as much intelligence as Spongebob. Not even any funny/cool references. :/

I honestly hated Chowder first time I say it too, same with Flapjack.

It takes getting used to, but some of the episodes are pure brilliance.

"WESSSSSSSSST"

Adventure Time is good. It's rated PG, but I think sometimes it may border PG-13. Regular Show is different, but kind of on the same maturity level as Adventure Time. If you want to watch the older 'good' shows, check out Cartoon Planet on Fridays.

I'll be sure to check Cartoon Planet out. :3 I've seen commercials for the Regular Show and Adventure Time, and they don't seem as little kid friendly as they look. XD Especially the Regular Show. My older sister was flipping through channels and she saw a commercial on the Regular Show. She told me I should check it out.

I HATE Cartoon Network these days. My main problem is that they don't learn from their mistakes, especially live-action shows. I mean, when they made the shift, all those shows bombed. And then what debuted last year? Level Up! It's like, hey executives, didn't you pay attention to the ratings and the internet hatred of Destroy Build Destroy? Wasn't that enough of a clue? Did you really think MTV was a good model to follow? NO ONE REALLY LIKES MTV!

• 2 weeks later...

Lmao love the topic name XD. Ahhh but I don't really like Cartoon Network anymore either -_- Not so much a fan of Nickelodeon anymore as well I mean the new Spongebob episodes have gone to crap and ughh iCarly >.> as well as other tasteless shows imo. I'm guessing what happened to cartoon network was the same thing that happened to all kids shows and actually TV in general....TV sucks I hardly watch it anymore. Why does History channel have stuff like Swamp People and Pawn Stars?! -_- The entertainment industry for kids has always been hit or miss depending on the effort of creators, but this is one of the worst generations for cartoons yet and my mom agrees too. The stuff that was around when I was a kid genuinely was better in compassion. Ahh back when Science channel had science, History channel had history and MTV had music.^^;

Ah, Cartoon Network. The channel I've found such a love/hate relationship with.

I remember, as a kid, tuning-in every Friday to watch Cartoon Cartoon Fridays. I loved nearly every show they had, from Dexter to Johnny Bravo and ESPECIALLY Ed, Edd, n Eddy. Heck, as I've gotten older, I've even attached to [adult swim] to a large scale. Still love me some Aqua Teen Hunger Force whenever it's on.

However, it seems like the management running it now don't seem to know how to appeal to everyone. Regular Show and Adventure Time are excellent, yes, but it seems like they're trying FAR too hard with trash like The Annoying Orange or MAD. They're just a bunch of annoying gags or references thrown together to attempt to be funny. In fact, a few parodies on MAD have LEGITIMATELY pissed me off (Specifically, their parody of "Rio" and the first time they made fun of FiM). There's no wit that can get a adult following onto it. It's just stupid gags that appeal to kids 3-8 years of age.

When I watch Cartoon Network, I expect shows with wit. I grew up with Ed, Edd, n Eddy, a show that contained a PLETHORA of references and jokes that a kid could notice as an older adult and laugh at. That's the big quality, the timeless attributes.

Speaking of what I expect from Cartoon Network, I DON'T expect live-action shows! I mean, I know Level-Up is the only traditional live action show now (And from what I've heard, it is BOMBING...), but it's ridiculous how CN continues to try and fork live action shows in their schedule. What happened to this being Cartoon Network?

The return of Toonami IS a positive point. It shows that immense support can effect a channel, and it shows that CN is now listening. Heck, with the new Cartoon Planet block, it makes it clear that Cartoon Network is listening now. Maybe Cartoon Network is coming back? Whatever happens, it's either going to make me happy, or rip me to pieces. That enough I know.

Also, I hope Cartoon Network never touches My Little Pony. The Hub may be failing in ratings right now, and MLP may be going for syndication, but Cartoon Network had better not touch it. They just WOULD NOT handle the fandom and the show's scheduling correctly...

• Like 1

I agree with that. I mean, look at the network now. They need a miracle and they are desperate. They don't realize how much they are alienating their fans with this garbage. It's almost as bad as MTV at times.

I dunno. They handle the Adventure Time fandom pretty well. They even do a crummy job at putting out DVDs for the show, just like the Hub does..No Season DVDs..Just a few episodes per DVD. BLEEECH!