How did you find out about MLP?

Teh_Brawler

I know that there's a little blurb in the introductions section where you can tell how you found out, but I think it'd be fun to actually tell each other the stories in a little more depth.

I found out on Know Your Meme. I had been a member for a couple of months, and made a habit of checking the site. I think it was about March of 2011. Someone made an entry for it, and I was curious. After reading through it, I was so intrigued that I went to YouTube and found the first episode, and the rest is history.

I was told by a friend who had been recently converted to bronydom. He had been told by an old friend who was into the show and surprisingly enough had zero closet brony period. When he told me about I was immediately skeptical but he's my best friend so I figured a little tease or prod wouldnt be out of place but I wasnt going to outright mock him for it. He tried to convince me to watch the show several times quoting the wit of the writing and the quality of the animation, how there was plenty to keep the interest of an 18 year old as well as a little girl. I never really believed him, I would brush it off with a "whatever dude. you can do what you want but I still think your crazy". Then came a night of severe boredom. It was about 11 pm and I was bored out of my mind and I dont remember what the exactly the defining reason was but I gave an "Oh hell, I may at least try to see what he loves about it so much." I went to youtube and watched the first two episodes. Then the third, a fourth, and a fifth. What the hell was I doing? this isnt right? Why do I enjoy this? I begrudgingly told my friend about how I watched the show and how I hated myself for liking it and him for getting me into it. Not really of course but my mind was still confused and frustrated about liking something that couldnt possibly be meant for someone my age. I continued to watch the show episode by episode, finishing the first season in just under a month. By then I was just starting to accept that I liked the show and that it was no big deal, but I still kept it a secret to everyone but my brony friend and my at the time current gf, she didnt seem to care and would watch the show with me here and there. by the time I caught up with season two, as it was still in progress, at the 5th episode I was fully open about my bronyness. Now at this point I'm obsessed. I buy T-shirts and I spout random FiM quotes around those who dont even watch the show, and I couldnt be prouder of myself.

and thats how equestria was made! :D :D :D

I found out through my english teacher, but ignored it. My friend Taylor showed the song to me (I almost screamed), that made me curious, but again I did nothing.

Then I saw the Starcraft 2 trailer... With ponies.

I almost ignored it, but if something like the Starcraft 2 trailer only got better with ponies...

I had to check it out.

I watched the first two episodes (skipping the theme song) and thought it was wierd.

I watched other episodes and started liking it.

By the late teen episodes I could listen to the theme song.

By season two I was looking forward to it.

• Had ponies as child.
  • Got Applejack for Christmas when I was in Kindergarten.
  • Applejack was my favorite. Forever.
  • Got ponies for every single holiday until Flutter ponies.
  • Mom threw all my ponies out before I hit Jr. High (and I did want to keep them)
  • Found a pony in a barrel 6 years later and started recollecting what my mom threw out.
  • Collected until G3.5 made me angry.
  • Heard about new pony cartoon.
  • Was scarred by g3.5. Ignored it.
  • Saw art for Applejack.
  • Watched episode
  • Freaked out.
  • Pics or it didn't happen
  • Consumed ponies and was hooked from the moment Pinkie Pie (my very very least favorite pony ever) turned out to be a total weirdo , which given my knowledge of her beforehand I found to be a hilarious alternate characterization.
  • Tore Amid a new one on his snarky article about it on Cartoon Brew the day it was posted (and is still one of the top 5 rated comments about that article with 53 likes)
  • Joined here because my friends got sick of hearing about it.
  • Ponies
  • ponies
  • Ponies.
  • PONIESSS!

I knew about the old generations, and was a bit skeptical when it invaded everything. Google Images, Know Your Meme, Memebase, 4Chan, Youtube, and tons of forums and multiplayer games. I kind of laughed at the idea of it at first, but never really went very far with the whole "hater" ideals. I just kind of brushed it off with my knowledge of the older gens. Eventually, My Little Brony popped up on Memebase, and I checked it out. After awhile I watched the show to see how it was and what the fuss was about.

I had My Little Ponys as a child. Rainbow Dash was my ultimate favorite. Nobody could tear me from my Rainbow Dash.

So when I found out about the show, I had to watch it!

And that's how Equestria was made.

I kept seeing them pop up on Memebase. Got curious and watched Episode 1. Thought, "Ok, what's the fuss about?" Got bored working night shift one time and watched a few more. By the end of the night I was hooked. Then "My Little Brony got its own section and I went squee.

Friend of mine saw I had Gmod installed, told me to check out this Gmod Theatre server. Basically, it let you play YouTube videos in a theatre with friends.

We started out by watching 13 Ghosts in one theatre, then I went across the way because the movie was getting boring as all get out. Settled in at the top with everyone and I look at the movie queue (sp?). A couple random videos, an MLP YouTube Poop, and then, what's this I see?

What's Bridle Gossip?

Ostensibly the guy that stuck it up was trying to troll people (this was back when MLP FiM had just started getting huge in the spotlight and the haters were incredibly vocal). And while the immature folks in the server laughed at the racism undertones of the episode (I ignored them), I watched. It was like being transported back in time to when I was a kid and got up to watch Saturday Morning Cartoons that were actually GOOD. I wasn't convinced at first, but I told myself I'd at least give it a try, because it was getting stellar reviews from the fans. I kicked around the server for a bit, flopping between the actual movies in the one theatre and the random clips in the other, until someone stuck up another Pony episode: Dragonshy. I saw right up until their montage bit and had to log off. That night i booted up YouTube, finished that episode, and next thing I knew, I was on episode 4, smiling like a fool every time.

My friend found out about it from the memes floating around the internet and starting watching, he then went on to spam me with Brony songs, pictures and stories until I finally snapped and said I would watch one episode. I'm surprised he carried on trying to get me into from all the grief I was giving him from being a Brony (Yes, I used to be a fully fledged hater.) Anyway, I ended up watching 7-8 episodes that night and had watched 2 seasons in around a week. Been a Brony ever since.

I'd seen it up on 4chan for about half a year and pretty much wrote it off as trolls and ignored/didn't think about it

Last October however while roleplaying with my old RP community in City of Heroes (mmorpg) they were watching episodes IC and were OOCly syncing up youtube videos. I'd never really watched the show and frankly wasn't aware that it was a NEW show, but being the good sport I am I sat down with them and alt+tabbed into youtube.

They were watching "A Dog and Pony Show" which ignoring spikes cringe inducing fantasies, got me interested. Next up was Suited for Success, which knocked me for a freaking loop. I was an avid Rarity fan and started the show from the beginning. As the show progressed I started to lean more towards Pinkie Pie but that's a story for a different thread.

I was in the 'closet' about it for about a month, then I bought a Tshirt on WeLoveFine and went full public with the Pinkie Pie Portal shirt.

My story is Loooooooooooooooooooooong so I'm going to keep it really short.

1. It began when I noticed Pony related content on various websites. I thought it was just the new exploitable meme, like 60's Spiderman.
  2. Later, one of my favorite critics did a retrospective on the entire franchise, ending with a lengthy talk about bronies and FiM.
  3. During the arrow to the knee incident, I came across a Derpy comic. Despite not being a fan at the time, I found it quite funny.
  4. While checking out Brony humor, someone posted a link to the "Baby Cakes" episode. With nothing better to do, I decided to check it out.
  5. I quite liked it, and before I knew it, I had watched half of season 2 in one day.
  6. Funny thing is on hindsight, I feel "Baby Cakes" is one of the weaker episodes.

Well, I had a friend that was into My Little Pony, and I was pretty skeptical, because I'd seen older MLP generations and even though I had respect for LAuren Faust, I didn't think anything would make My Little Pony something actually worth watching and not one long advertisement for little girls to buy Hasbro toys.

But said friend convinced me to takethis survey, during which I would be polled before and after watching a single episode. That episode was Dragonshy. I liked it well enough that I decided to try at least one more episode, but I have this thing about starting from the beginning of things, so the first episode I watched was a two parter. You know you can't stop watching something smack dab in the middle, so I had to watch the second half, which was another episode. And I felt, afterward, that the pilot isn't ever really enough to let you know how something is or is going to be, so I watched another. And by that point I was intrigued enough that I watched the whole series,not realizing all along that I was falling in love with it.

At first, it was a little hard for be to be a brony. My parents weren't really an issue, but my boyfriend at the time was SO anti-ponies that it made it so I felt like I had to hide my love for the show, at least to make him happy. But toward the end of that relationship, I stopped really caring if he was upset that I liked the show or not. (Don't worry, ponies were not really a factor in the breakup.)

Anyway, the aforementioned friend is the reason I'm into MLP. I think I was aware of it before, but I wouldn't have been as aware if I didn't have that friend.

I was told by a friend who had been recently converted to bronydom. He had been told by an old friend who was into the show and surprisingly enough had zero closet brony period. When he told me about I was immediately skeptical but he's my best friend so I figured a little tease or prod wouldnt be out of place but I wasnt going to outright mock him for it. He tried to convince me to watch the show several times quoting the wit of the writing and the quality of the animation, how there was plenty to keep the interest of an 18 year old as well as a little girl. I never really believed him, I would brush it off with a "whatever dude. you can do what you want but I still think your crazy". Then came a night of severe boredom. It was about 11 pm and I was bored out of my mind and I dont remember what the exactly the defining reason was but I gave an "Oh hell, I may at least try to see what he loves about it so much." I went to youtube and watched the first two episodes. Then the third, a fourth, and a fifth. What the hell was I doing? this isnt right? Why do I enjoy this? I begrudgingly told my friend about how I watched the show and how I hated myself for liking it and him for getting me into it. Not really of course but my mind was still confused and frustrated about liking something that couldnt possibly be meant for someone my age. I continued to watch the show episode by episode, finishing the first season in just under a month. By then I was just starting to accept that I liked the show and that it was no big deal, but I still kept it a secret to everyone but my brony friend and my at the time current gf, she didnt seem to care and would watch the show with me here and there. by the time I caught up with season two, as it was still in progress, at the 5th episode I was fully open about my bronyness. Now at this point I'm obsessed. I buy T-shirts and I spout random FiM quotes around those who dont even watch the show, and I couldnt be prouder of myself.

and thats how equestria was made! :D :D :D

So yeah I'm the one who told him about bronydom. :D I was told by a friend of mine in Virginia. It started with little clips of dialouge, and then advanced to the show itself. I'll never ever regret it :)

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned i saw a video on the internet that got me interested, but Never really did anything until a bunch of artists on deviant art started making Pony pictures, which peaked my interest, and i watched a few episodes, and got hooked.

I am subscribed to a guy on youtube called Joshscorcher, who does videos called, top 10 most frustrating bosses in video games, 10 Kingdom hearts songs, etc. One day in my subscription box I saw. "My little pony:Friendship is Magic season 1 plot review." And I kinda stared at it in uncertanty, before ignoreing the video and watching something else. But that video stayed in my unwatched subscriptions box for a while, until on day I finally clicked on it. The review was funny and interesting, but I saw no reason to watch the show myself, until Josh uploaded a season 2 plot review, and a PMV. Josh shows considerable intellect in his work, so I thought to watch one episode, next thing I knew I was done season 1. But the real thing that made me compleatly accept the fandom, was the music, both in the show and original work.