Could you, would you, be a Bearbro?

Rosewind

If Hasbro got its stuff together and completely revamped Care Bears into something awesome instead of the CGI garbage we've been seeing...I dunno, maybe to something like this:

care_bears__adventures_in_care_a_lot_by_jiayi-d4ih4w1.png

Would you give it a shot, Canterlot?

The Hub is launching a new Care Bears series soon (looks horrid), but based on this article, it looks like they're prodding at our fandom a bit to pique interest from the non-target demographic.

I know there are many things that have to fall into place for something like this to happen, but could this move by Hasbro/Hub be the start of a different era for animation of this type? I'm hoping that this paradigm moves toward the idea that fantastic characters, excellent writing, and superb animation can all combine in a synergistic way to attract a viewership outside of a target audience, but I think there's more to it than that.

What do you all think?

I've been wondering the same thing myself. Personally I dont think it could happen unless they found a way to significantly expand the care bear universe to make it more immersive, as of right now its pretty shallow. (I know because my sister used to like it) That and fix that god awful CGI nonsense. That and some real writing and plot then yeah I would. Its the same argument for ponies. If the animation is good, the plot is compelling, the characters are well developed, and the humor in entertaining, then yeah why not watch it?

Duplicating the success MLP has had with the brony fans will likely not work if they go in with the mindset of "How can we get the young adult male audience"

Because the typical things the corporate workers at Hasbro will probably think will get the young adult male audience (pop culture references, hidden sex jokes, totally radical characters who use boss slang) aren't what made MLP popular with that audience. MLP became popular because the show had solid characters, had innocent optimistic humor, and above all was very sincere. You can't duplicate sincerity

if it was animated like the picture you showed, yes I might give it a shot like any other cartoon.

But it's one of them 3D animated thingamagigger shows, and I don't like that style.

Here's a clip of the animation the new care bear's show is going to have

I wouldn't count anything out entirely I suppose, but really Care Bears is at comparatively a much worse starting point than MLP for me.

I know that the girlyness of MLP was a barrier for some, but for me it was actually a point in the show's favor for me. I really enjoy well thought out and interesting female characters. A girl's property like MLP, when done well like FIM, has exactly that as a pull for me. A gender neutral children's property like Care Bears is actually less well off in that way.

Also to its detriment, I actually have some history with Care Bears. When I was a very small child I had some plush toys, some movies on VHS and what not. This sort of creates an association with the property that I lacked with My Little Pony, which was something I never had anything to do with. It's a little harder to disassociate it from being something kiddy as a result.

It's really hard for me to imagine an incarnation of Care Bears with anywhere near as imaginative or creative a world as FIM. I just can't imagine it being good. I don't think the property has as much potential to start with. I'd love to see them prove me wrong some day (though this coming series certainly doesn't look like it will do that...), but I really don't expect it to ever happen.

The key difference to me is that the Care Bears have been pushing their morals pretty heavily, to a point where it was so patronizing that even as a child, I couldn't help but be cynical about it. Now, I never had any exposure to MLP aside from seeing toy commercials, so I could start with a blank slate on that one.

Also, first mistake, real children. Instantly breaks it for me. ^^

That's a good point. I really kind of don't want actual children in there if it can be avoided either... :/

Oh I would not could not if it was a joke, I would not could not even if you payed me in coke (a-cola)

One fish two fish....something something something MLP:FiM is amazing and I am to?

Yea ran out of ideas for that as I started to write it....

Anywho, no sadly I doubt I'd be a Bearbro... =(

One round of Carebears was enough for me...

Now Hello Kitty would be cool to have them re-do!

That's a good point. I really kind of don't want actual children in there if it can be avoided either...

Really? I've liked carebears for quite a while *nelvana is by far the best*. While the newer cg stuff hasn't been very good, this version does look a little better *still not right though*

Helping children is what the bears do, it is their goal and purpose! It has to be done in a certain way though or it just comes off weird. I'm not impressed with the human model they used though it's a bit off.

Still I'm willing to give it a try, it can't hurt there isn't really anything else on at the moment. Who knows maybe it will actually be good, if the ponies have taught us anything it is to keep an open mind. *Everyone is totally welcome to close it after finding out it stinks though*

*Sigh* I really wish they would give them back to nelvana. I'm certain even if they went 3d, they would have gotten it right and it would be great.

i like how FIM has pony children for the kids watching to relate to directly instead of forcing actual human children into it somehow. So much better.

But yeah, maybe that wouldn't work with Care Bears. Which is kind of why I'm not sure if it's capable of reaching the heights MLP has with FiM. The premise is already to specific and kind of forced. There is a lot more freedom with something like MLP.

I think Care Bears has yet to create a generation better than the original. Original Care Bears is/was kind of like it's version/generation of FiM.

The original had kids though. Like Sunwind pointed out... that's kind of the point of Care Bears. They travel to our world and solve problems for kids. Sometimes kids go back to Care-A-Lot too, but not many. But ya... if Care Bears didn't help kids, there wouldn't be a show. (Although if memory serves, they skipped kids in the Adventures in Care-a-lot series (Tabitha and Ashleigh had voices, btw.).)

If Care Bears got a complete redux, I think children would be something different -- perhaps another race or just "normal" bears that don't live in the clouds. Starting to remind anypony of anything?

It's really hard for me to imagine an incarnation of Care Bears with anywhere near as imaginative or creative a world as FIM. I just can't imagine it being good. I don't think the property has as much potential to start with. I'd love to see them prove me wrong some day (though this coming series certainly doesn't look like it will do that...), but I really don't expect it to ever happen.

Didn't pony do exactly this? That's why it's easy to say "It'll never happen," now, just as it was easy to say that about FiM two years ago. Most of us saw how heavily FiM was reviled when it first started -- and how heavily embraced it was shortly and thereafter.

I think they really need to stop the CG animated stuff and redesign the characters/story/everything big time if they want any pegasisters/bronies to sniff it out, though!

I think Care Bears has yet to create a generation better than the original. Original Care Bears is/was kind of like it's version/generation of FiM.

The original had kids though. Like Sunwind pointed out... that's kind of the point of Care Bears. They travel to our world and solve problems for kids. Sometimes kids go back to Care-A-Lot too, but not many. But ya... if Care Bears didn't help kids, there wouldn't be a show. (Although if memory serves, they skipped kids in the Adventures in Care-a-lot series (Tabitha and Ashleigh had voices, btw.).)

I'm well aware of that. It's just my personal preference when it comes to fantasy. I find it kinda tacky, I guess.

Honestly one of the things that is going to keep me away from this is that there is no relatability to the care bears like we have in MLP. As far as I know from the horrible movies I was forced to watch with my sister from time to time there are only like 8 care bears. its too simple to appeal to an older audience (or at least me) imagine MLP and its only the mane six ALL THE TIME only interacting with each other. I would get boring and the same jokes, ploys, and nuances would be endlessly repeated through each episode. there is no carebear society or any depth to their world at all. They live on a little world of clouds and floating pieces of land connected to earth by a rainbow that only a few kids can cross. If you ask me that severely limits what they can do with the show.

Didn't pony do exactly this? That's why it's easy to say "It'll never happen," now, just as it was easy to say that about FiM two years ago. Most of us saw how heavily FiM was reviled when it first started -- and how heavily embraced it was shortly and thereafter.

I think they really need to stop the CG animated stuff and redesign the characters/story/everything big time if they want any pegasisters/bronies to sniff it out, though!

Yeah. You probably wouldn't have been able to convince me a My Little Pony show could be so good two years ago. At the same time, I might have been able to admit there was some untapped potential in the property. Basically, what I mean to say is that My Little Pony isn't something that really has a set story or something that it really has to be beyond cute pastel ponies with symbols on their flanks. It's very free and open for the creators to come up with whatever setting or story they want, because there really is no greater story that it has to have.

Care Bears on the other hand is a property more with its premise already built in hard. it's about pastel bears with symbols on their stomach, but those bears pretty much have to live in the clouds and help cheer up and inspire children, and it kind of has to be. There isn't as much freedom to take it in a different direction and make something really creative and interesting. That's the difference I see. Which makes it a much harder sell than even MLP might have been 2 years ago.

I'll basically say this. If they do somehow make the show watchable and of the caliber of MLP yes I will watch it despite it being care bears. If I didnt I'd be going against the same philosophy that makes me brony.

What was pony back then? A 30-minute-long toy commercial. That was built in pretty hard. I think the point I'm trying to make is that Pony also used to be in that same boat that Care Bears is in now, and a huge overhaul/redesign away from the "magical bears with symbols on their tummies that must service children" would go bye bye. I used to watch the Nelvana Care Bears, and I actually enjoyed it -- it had some pretty dark villains/stories, and several interesting characters. I'm still a big fan of the "CMC" bear equivalent: Hugs and Tugs -- as well as the Cousins. It was very much much like older gen Pony was.

I think both properties have undeniable and unmistakable parallels to each other that should not be dismissed so easily -- the only real difference is one moved forward and the other...well, backward. Care Bears is not beyond hope of becoming something more, but I doubt we'll see that happen any time soon.

I should also note that perhaps some of the fear (and denial that Care Bears has the potential to grow into something awesome) might an issue because it could devalue the fundamentals that made Pony so likable to the non-target audience. I don't agree with this theory because there are other factors in FiM that make it great, but it's something to think about.

Hasbro saying "We made pony awesome, we can do it with Care Bears too!" won't work, because a lot has to change about the property before it becomes a breathable atmosphere for us.

• Like 1

While I have serious doubts, I won't say it's impossible.

I watched "Clarissa Explains it All" and "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" (yes, I had a thing for Melissa Joan Hart) And the Sabrina tTW animated series. So MLP: FiM isn't my first out of target audience experience.

Who Knows what will catch my attention next. :smirk:

What was pony back then? A 30-minute-long toy commercial. That was built in pretty hard. I think the point I'm trying to make is that Pony also used to be in that same boat that Care Bears is in now, and a huge overhaul/redesign away from the "magical bears with symbols on their tummies that must service children" would go bye bye. I used to watch the Nelvana Care Bears, and I actually enjoyed it -- it had some pretty dark villains/stories, and several interesting characters. I'm still a big fan of the "CMC" bear equivalent: Hugs and Tugs -- as well as the Cousins. It was very much much like older gen Pony was.

I think both properties have undeniable and unmistakable parallels to each other that should not be dismissed so easily -- the only real difference is one moved forward and the other...well, backward. Care Bears is not beyond hope of becoming something more, but I doubt we'll see that happen any time soon.

Yes, they were commercials for products, but as similar as the two lines are, I think there's really a lot to distinguish them, starting with the products themselves. Look at the toys, and how they're intended to be used. It makes all the difference, I think. A My Little Pony is a plastic horse with brushable mane. It comes with some accessories, has a name, and a cutie mark which is the solitary hint into its personality the kid has. To play with them, you collect other ponies and the rest is all imagination. They interact however you want them to; it doesn't have to have anything to do with anything greater really. That's why injecting it with so much imagination is easy; Lauren Faust as a young girl was already no doubt doing just that.

Care Bears as a product is a plush toy. It's something less made for imaginative play, and more just for a child to treat affectionately. Furthermore, before the plush toys even, Care Bears are greeting card characters, and greeting cards are a visual medium that present clear motifs for the characters, who had in their show much more defined personalities then the ponies ever did from what I can recall. I'm just not sure there's as much imagination as called for or expected from the children with Care Bears. I doubt there was any Lauren Faust out there for it at the least..

Maybe I'm wrong, but as similar as the two properties are, I see a fair amount of differences too, and those differences make all the difference. I'd like to be proven wrong with this sort of thing, but just analyzing it, Care Bears seems like a much harder property to approach for the FIM treatment.