My Crazy Obsession Seeking MLP Collector - WARNING

Thoth

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/06/warning-tlc-my-crazy-obsession-seeks.html

As Seth described, TLC is currently looking for an avid MLP collector for their show "My Crazy Obsession".

As you'd imagine from all the garbage on TV now, it's a show that only puts things in negative light and would spark more bad than good.

So, as Seth has suggested, it'd be a good idea to spread this story and WARN every Brony to NOT accept this role offer. After all, we want this fandom in the lighest spot possible. As I can tell from this show from TLC, it's purely made to humiliate and make ratings, as everyone love so much in this demoralized world.

I don't want to see anypony or the fandom itself made fun of or humiliated by this, as that'd hurt me personally more than probably even hurting that person themself. So, I URGE YOU to spread this everywhere you can to every Brony forum, collector forum, etc. We need to show TLC that we don't want this, and that resistance to this kind of garbage is possible! Let's prove how much of a difference we can make, and most of all:

JUST. SAY. NO.

• Like 6

^That's why I want to spread this quickly and vastly. I don't want any Bronies to get suckered into this and be humiliated and put the fandom in a bad light, moreso the humility. They did the same thing with Furries, and they PURPOSELY chose the strangest of them all to embarrass the community and the person, and point and laugh like Nelson from The Simpsons.

Simply-put, I want this spread so nopony gets hurt by this, the fandom keeps its fairly-good light and maybe...just maybe, the media gets the idea that they can't toy with people's interests and embarrass people with them.

Even though I agree it's messed up and extremely un-subjective to put a fandom in a bad light by picking up a bad example of the community and putting them on stage, this is a bit like trying to stop a flood with a paper towel. They'll find someone juicy to put a negative spin on the fandom with, regardless of the forewarning. Also I'll dare to say some of the weirdness may be deserved -- just look at all the adult pony content out there, and how easy it is to stumble across it.

The best thing we all can do is present ourselves in a positive way to people who might be ignorant about the phenomenon, and ignore the negative spin ourselves when it happens -- and it does happen, to every fandom and community out there.

I recommend Flutters—Oh, don't go on the show.

Yeah, They won't get much out of me. "GEE TLC come see my box of ponies that I keep in substantially less than pristine collection, in a storage unit. Oh see this other crap around my house? Yeah. it's just there. Sometimes I make little movies and take pictures with it. That's about all there is to it. Don't trip over the letterpress on your way out, and don't mind my sarcasm and needless antagonism ...it's just that there's a camera in my face and you're being condescending".

I could be a commercial break. Also, obsessed collectors HATE me because I will remove things from their packages and don't give two hoots about what the assumed value of something is if it's something that I am planning on never letting leave my collection (case in point: I have some dolls that are worth around $1000 that I take camping with me and take pictures of them in swamps)

Somehow the "crazy collector" thing pales if you actually do art things with the stuff you collect.

• Like 1

And people wonder why I avoid most stuff on discovery networks aside from the occasional documentary and the mythbusters.

TLC stands for the learning channel, right? How does putting a negative light on a fandom do anything except teach ignorance and intolerance. To me that is going against the entire point of the network.

And people wonder why I avoid most stuff on discovery networks aside from the occasional documentary and the mythbusters.

TLC stands for the learning channel, right? How does putting a negative light on a fandom do anything except teach ignorance and intolerance. To me that is going against the entire point of the network.

I dunno Swirly -- the definition for what constitutes learning is a wide one, even if the material (in this case) is a load of apples.

I'm pretty sure they gave up that 'Learning' thing just like most of my 100,000 channels have given up their themes. Most channels have the same shows. Reality TV. Let's see. Tattoo guy. Little people. Tattoo Little people. Tattoo Little People who horde tattoos. Hordes Of little people with tattoos. And the six hundred million versions of CSI and NCSI. Oye. :scream: For Pony's sake, the Cartoon Network has live action TV shows! AHH!

• Like 2

My collection isn't big enough lol but if they decided to do a show on old video games, I may be interested although my library isn't all that large but my age does make it unusual that I have as much as I do have, and some of the games are a bit obscure and may not be seminal titles of the era. Still, even if they considered me for it, I'd say no.

This is exactly what Big Brother WANTS you to learn, remember conformity is GOOD, being unique, different or non-conformist is BAD! (This message fully endorsed by Big Brother of Washington, DC)

• Like 1

Is this show similar to Penn and Teller's "Bull****"?

While sometimes amusing, it was hard to watch even when it didn't hit close to home. They certainly made those that came on the show look lame, but Penn came across as a bully, and while I don't remember many of the guests clearly, I do have a bad impression of Penn left over.

All that is to say, I wonder if you guys are blowing this out of proportion? How bad could it really be?

Is this show similar to Penn and Teller's "Bull****"?

While sometimes amusing, it was hard to watch even when it didn't hit close to home. They certainly made those that came on the show look lame, but Penn came across as a bully, and while I don't remember many of the guests clearly, I do have a bad impression of Penn left over.

All that is to say, I wonder if you guys are blowing this out of proportion? How bad could it really be?

The Difference is BullSh*t doesnt claim to be "news" they openly state they're biased and they're out to prove their point, not to give an honest open-minded story --- BullSh*t is more comedy that education. Most of the shows that seek out fandoms are trying to pretend they're showing you the whole story and they are aiming to destroy the fandom, or, at the least, cast it in the worst possible light.

For those who don't know what My Crazy Obsession is, I think it's like a revamp of this show. And you can see how they portrayed the furry fandom. They paired the segment with someone who eats couch cushions.

Begins 4:11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwa_kaQ8ius

That was quite disrespectful. Painful to watch. Inaccurate portrayal of a whole fandom. It portrays some FURRY individuals. But dear god, not them all.

Man, even though I dislike furry stuff and athro, and I feel bad for the fandom being portrayed like that. :/

For those who don't know what My Crazy Obsession is, I think it's like a revamp of this show. And you can see how they portrayed the furry fandom. They paired the segment with someone who eats couch cushions.

I don't see what the big deal is. That wasn't entertaining, but I didn't get the impression that they were applying her issues to the entire fandom. What am I missing?

I don't see what the big deal is. That wasn't entertaining, but I didn't get the impression that they were applying her issues to the entire fandom. What am I missing?

To those on the outside, one person can define ALL the fans. This was broadcast on public TV to thousands of people. If this is your first impression of the fandom, what do you think? Especially with the mention of sexual activity, some may be speculative and go, 'oh ya, she's totally doing that behind her parent's back, no doubt'. As a first and only impression of furries with no prior knowledge of the fandom and without bothering to research the fandom, it's not good. I think My Crazy Obsession may take it one step further, since it classifies things on that show as "Obsessions" rather then "Addictions". Even if people believe that it's alright for those furry people to do their thing, it still portrays the fandom as, well, weirdos who dress up and act like animals. Which, in a sense they are, but most are still rather normal, which most people won't be able to see past the suit to see that there's a regular person inside rather than some freak.

She was pretty clearly portrayed as near the extreme, and with a problem. She lined out the fandom as a spectrum, and included those who just like the pictures. The boyfriend seemed pretty relate-able. Kinda on the fringe and normal.

I wasn't phased or offended by it.

I learned about the furry fandom from someone who noticed I was using a fox for an avatar and wanted me to be aware of what some people's impressions of such things were. He didn't pull any punches, and leaped right to the dark side. Sure it was a bit shocking, but I moved on pretty quickly.

• Like 1

But you're used to internet culture Weesh. You aren't just going to take things at face value and be close minded about something you don't know. You have to kind of take it as this is a first impression people are getting of furries, without any prior knowledge or background of the fandom, and they aren't going to bother to look deeper into it. They're going to remain in that shocked state of finding out about the dark side, without ever moving on from it and always having a tainted opinion of furries.

I'll handle this! *pulls out her rope and unceremoniously ties Weesh up* There we go!

Furries have been ostracized by the media and beyond for years, and a lot of that negativity is earned by fans who don't think -- and of course, the actions of the few will present the many. *slings Weesh over her shoulder*

There was an actual panel at Midwest Furfest on how to deal with the media/how to present furries to the public, and the host (Uncle Kage and 2 -- both great speakers!) were giving various anecdotes and examples. The best one was when he was speaking to a reporter on camera at AC and some random guy in a fursuit decided to hump on the reporter. Oh yeah.

Sorry my Weesh got away. I hope he didn't make a mess.