Imagination

2uqp3iu.png

Roleplay Type: Mane RP

Name: Tom

Sex: Male, obviously

Species: Rock

Eye Color: Rock

Coat Color: Rock

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Bald. Unless somepony would be kind enough to glue a wig on there.

Physique: Like a rock.

Cutie Mark: A rock (maybe)

Origin/Residence: Rockland. Currently resides in Canterlot.

Cover Occupation: Stock Broker

Motivation: To be a rock.

Dislikes: Rock bottom

Character Summary:

Tom came about a very long time ago. A time when things were less fancy, and more... Not-fancy. A time of non-fanciness. When ponies were all 'Ooo, I'm regal' or 'Ooo, I'm beneath the regal guy!'. Much less cool that what Equestria is today. And he's fine with that.

He was born to Rocky and Pebbles out of Rockland, the famous-but-not-really-famous unknown city of rocks somewhere on the map that became a granite quarry. The construction workers came and they brought great, terrible tools and machines, that reduced his people to slab and dust to be used for countertops, sidewalks, gravel, you name it! It was atrocious. When Tom was old enough, he enlisted, and became a Rok. For the good of his people! Though they were no match for the mighty quarry miners. Despite numerous rock slides, collapses in tunnels, and stubbing of toes, the Roks just could not match the force of these miners. So, Tom fled. He knows not the fate of his parents or his beloved home, by takes joy in knowing they fight the good fight still, despite the odds against them.

After the war, Tom found a fine meadow to rest in, where he remained for... Well, a very long time. Anypony who came to visit him just climbed upon him, or drew on him, or had picnics in front of him, using him for shade. Never did they ask how his day was, or if he had any tales to tell. It was saddening. He felt alone. So very alone. It overcame him with a sadness he felt could never be lifted.

It wasn't until the rise of Discord, however, that he was proven wrong. As Equestria changed, he suddenly found himself lodges in a stone prison (oddly enough). He did not know where he was, but knew he was whisked away by Discord for some evil purpose. Try as he could, he could not escape.

But then, a voice! So... Soft and frail... Beautiful. It shouted something, and then Tom felt the rock crumbling round him, freeing him more and more! Yes! At last he could feel the heat of the sun again! Before he knew it, he was embracing the lovely Miss Rarity of Ponyville. She called him 'a diamond'. The most lovely and biggest she had ever seen. They embraced in the labyrinth, and Tom was convinced he had found true love at last.

They went everywhere together, the lovely Rarity insisting she carry him. But he was fine with that. Every moment with the mare was a moment in heaven. She loved him, and he loved her right back. It couldn't have been any more perfect... Until Discord fell at last. Perhaps Rarity was using him only as a distraction from the stress a discorded Equestria brought upon her. Perhaps she had other, selfish intentions. To this day, he does not know. She refused to speak with him, and cast him aside. She wanted nothing more to do with Tom, and his heart sank like a rock.

Some time later, Tom found work in Canterlot as a vigilante, thwarting crimes of all sorts by just simply being in the way. He could not be moved, his resolve so mighty. He was responsible for the arrests of some of Equestria's most dastardly villains. It wasn't long before the REIN got their eye on him.

They knew it wasn't right. The organization was for ponies, not rocks. But darn it. He had the resolve. He had the courage. He had a stone cold heart like nopony had ever seen before. Best of all, he could blend in to a crowd. They needed someone like him, now more than ever. And so he started his distinguished career as REIN's most celebrated spy and interrogator. Nopony knows who this mysterious 'Agent Granite' really is, but Tom, the innocent worker at the stock office in Canterlot, seems to find a certain satisfaction in hearing the agent be praised for his very hard, very honorable work.

• Like 13

Hello there. I know it's early for this to be reviewed; usual policy is to wait a week on cast apps for other apps of the same character to show up, but in the case of this app I just felt compelled to do it early. :)

This is a wonderful application with a lot of promise, but I am afraid that I do see some areas that might prove to be a problem when it comes to this character being approved.

To start with, I suggest that you take a look at the playable species list. You will find that rock is, unfortunately, not an approved species within the World of Equestria Mane RP. As this is an important cast character, I know I can't expect you to change his species, but I am not sure that we on the RP Helper team are prepared to allow playable rocks in the RP at this time. Additionally, only pony and pony-like species have cutie marks, so this character should not have one (even if it is only maybe).

Looking past that for the moment, we have other problems. We do not generally allow users to come up with their own locations within the RP, and Rockland is not listed on our list of approved World of Equestria Locations. If you really want Rockland to be acceptable in the Mane RP, I suggest waiting until we're taking Lore proposals again and proposing it there, though in practical terms changing his origin to an approved location is probably the way to go.

Moving on to the character history, the section about his parents might need to be removed. Considering he is a cast character, there is always a possibility that his parents may show up within the show, so including names and other details about them may invariably lead to contradictions which should be avoided.

The history section also mentions what sounds to be a rather gruesome and terrible war at the beginning. I'm not sure this is appropriate to the mane RP. Within the RP, we tend to strive toward matching the spirit of the show, and I don't think such onslaught is appropriate for what we see within My Little Pony; Friendship is Magic, not with so many innocent rocks being so terribly destroyed.

Now, as Rarity's cast player, I approve fully of how their relationship is described, and since we do see much of the interaction between the two in the show, I believe that that should check out fine. No problems there. In fact, I find Tom's plight rather touching, so good job there. ;-)

When it comes to the latter part of the application, however, I become a little unsure. For cast character applications, we encourage users to expand on the characters from what we see in the show, but we don't like for characters to be twisted in completely different directions from what we see without anything to support it. I just don't know if, from what I know of the character based on what I've seen in the show, I see him in the role of a crime fighting vigilante and then a secret agent with REIN, or as a stock broker. Additionally, I'm left kind of perplexed as to how Tom, as a rock, could perform any of those jobs. You should consider clarifying this for us.

Finally, I'm not sure you really tell us enough about Tom's personality. I get that he feels lonely at times is a bit of a romantic, and yet retains his stone cold edge, but is there not more than just that? Tell us more about Tom as a rock. What is he like to be around? How does he compare to other rocks? What are his flaws? How about his dreams and goals and aspirations? Is he happy with the sort of work he is doing now? Does he still hope to win Rarity over? We don't ask that you answer every possible question, but it is important that we get a good feeling of who the character is from the app.

All that said, this seems like a very sturdy, rock solid app. With some work, it can only get better and I imagine it will undoubtedly be approved in time. :)

• Like 3

There comes a time in a man's life when he realizes all of his previous days have been wasted in fruitless ventures and all of his hopes and dreams have the veracity of a fable. This is my day. As I behold the glory that is this application, I realize that I am but a fruitfly in comparison to thee, who takes the form of a Titan.

• Like 2

At least this app makes more sense than the guy who apped Bloomberg a while back. :D

NOT commenting as a RP Helper, but as a 'civilian' at the moment.

I WOULD say this app is "Rock Solid" but that would be a very nasty pun. :sniff:

To be perfectly honest, I don't know if this app's even legal, but if it is, then I will be tempted to app Rocky, Madam LeFlour, Sir Lintsalot and Mr. Turnips from Pinkie Pie's imagination in "Party of One." :sad:

If this app's accepted and approved, this opens the door for all sorts of inanimate objects to be apped in Canterlot.com. Is this My Little Pony or "The Flintstones?"

:D:D:D:D

I feel this application is a good SOLID app! I doubt you will take Tom's character for Granite! I must MARBLE at how hard you worked to CARVE out the rough details and form this into a STONE COLD application! I applaud your MASS and fully and utterly am BOULDER'd over by your writings style

You ROCK =D