The Difference Between Colt, Stallion, Filly, etc.

SirShadowdeath

So can I ask a question here on something I've been confused about for awhile?

How does this community use the words Colt, Stallion, Filly, and Mare?

As far as I know, a Cot is a male child horse, a Stallion is an adult child horse, a Filly is a female child horse, and a Mare is a female adult horse.

Now, how are these terms used exactly? Are they interchangeable per gender or what?

Since I know bronies tend to use these on forums to identify gender instead of using Man/Woman/Child, I've been lead into some confusing situations. For instance, I assumed I would considered a Stallion (Adult Male), but when I was called a colt (Male Child?), I said I wasn't a colt. So they assumed I was a woman. Which is EXTREMELY odd due to the "Sir" in my name.

So, Am I the only one who thinks these terms lead to commom miscommunications? Am I just not understanding this?

Colt is used in the same way you would use colt. Filly is used in the same way you would use filly. Stallion for stallion and Mare for mare.

So if somepony calls you a colt, imagine it is the word colt. Some may use it as a determination of age, but when I type I just swap the words without using any hard meanings.

"Boy, that was some game!" = "Colt, that was some game!

"She's my girlfriend." = "She's my fillyfriend."

Neither one needs to identify age necessarily, though some may use it as such. Foal seems a catch all for kid and/or baby.

It's like, if someone called you a boy (colt), and you said you weren't. Would that make someone think that you were a man (stallion) instead, or a girl (filly)?

It kind of depends on who you're with in the community. Sometimes colt and filly might just mean boy or girl. Even if you are a man, you're still a boy, so even though you're a stallion, you could still be a colt as well.

It's like, if someone called you a boy (colt), and you said you weren't. Would that make someone think that you were a man (stallion) instead, or a girl (filly)?

It kind of depends on who you're with in the community. Sometimes colt and filly might just mean boy or girl. Even if you are a man, you're still a boy, so even though you're a stallion, you could still be a colt as well.

I think that best describes it. It also explains the terms 'Coltcuddler' and 'Fillyfooler' The terms Colt and Filly aren't always age related, though it's more common for an older pony to call a younger one colt/filly rather than mare/stallion.

I agree 100%.I think that it really dosn't matter if they say stallion or colt.I have an 18 year old character (which is considered an adult at 18) called Colt because I think it sounds better than stallion.Uh yeah so it dosn't matter if it is filly and mare or if it colt and stallion.The way I see it is that age has nothing to do with it.Hope that helped.

I think of colt being a boy and fily being a girl just like a mare means woman and a stallion means a man.

Now a pony can use colt for example as a derrogitory term like "Stop acting like a silly colt and be a stallion!"

Also Filly and colt can be a generic term like "fillies and gentlecolts." ("Ladies and Gentlemen") This is to imply that the announcement is for all regardless of age where as something like "mares and stallions," might indicate an announcement might be for older ponies.

Also you have coltfriend and fillyfriend (boyfriend/ girlfriend).

All about semantics really.

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoy MLP but I wouldn't call myself a brony. I'm not that big into the fandom. So sometimes I do think it's a little excessive, but it really is just part of the fandom - the same way they use "somepony" instead of "somebody," etc. In my opinion: to each their own. Too bad someone mistook you for a girl though because of it...

I think of colt being a boy and fily being a girl just like a mare means woman and a stallion means a man.

Now a pony can use colt for example as a derrogitory term like "Stop acting like a silly colt and be a stallion!"

Also Filly and colt can be a generic term like "fillies and gentlecolts." ("Ladies and Gentlemen") This is to imply that the announcement is for all regardless of age where as something like "mares and stallions," might indicate an announcement might be for older ponies.

Also you have coltfriend and fillyfriend (boyfriend/ girlfriend).

All about semantics really.

Ditto

And that word "semantics" keeps coming up lately!

Try reading the web with Ponify turned on. It will cause brain damage after long term use.

• 2 years later...

This is what I understand. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Foals = Children

Fillies = Girls

Colts = Boys

Mares = Women

Stallions = Men

The show uses mare/filly and stallion/colt interchagably, just like we'd call a woman a girl. However, for applications, and for clarity, what Kitomyk says is true.