Censorship

There is a word that is censored that I honestly don't believe should be censored. It's rather annoying coming up with synonyms for it and the site even censored a word with the censored word in it for me. I am by no means a user of vulgar language, but when people always see asterisks with my posts, I get a somewhat bad reputation. I am not trying to cause a ruckus, I am just trying to bring this to people's attentions.

That must be frustrating! If any of your words get censored by mistake, use the edit feature to change them to something else. Good synonyms to use are "aubergine" "Pinkie Pie is best pony" and "sandcat."

It's a minor inconvenience for making sure that our younger users don't see any words by mistake that they should not see. :artax:

• Like 2

That must be frustrating! If any of your words get censored by mistake, use the edit feature to change them to something else. Good synonyms to use are "aubergine" "Pinkie Pie is best pony" and "sandcat."

It's a minor inconvenience for making sure that our younger users don't see any words by mistake that they should not see. :artax:

Rosie that's not how you spell Rarity!

• Like 3

Allow me then to introduce you to this fantastic site called thesaurus.com.

What that site does is, take a word, and it will give you a list of comparable words!

Sorry if I seem a trifle condescending here, but this seems like a silly complaint that is easily remedied by expanding your own vocabulary.

• Like 2

I'd say the censorship is quite good, yes a little inconvenient but otherwise good. You'd be quite disgusted with how vulgar some people who deem themselves as Bronies can be. I was actually on one forum not too long ago, where they banned all talk of religion/faith yet they allowed constant use of cussing and vulgarity...Which is more hurtful and obscene I ask you? I try my best not to swear, not just online but in real life as-well, like i say "If you wouldn't talk like that in real life (especially to your family and friends), then why do it online?"

I'd like to point out, one of the most commonly used phrases in internet culture, the simple phrase "lol" is actually insulting to a small Asian country (that I can't specifically remember the name of, my apologies, but it does exist I assure you). I know this because once in my video game livestream this person came in and couldn't understand why everyone was saying such a vulgar insult in response to my jokes. He thought they were rather funny, and not insult worthy! After a while, he began to join in and started saying "lol" as well. It wasn't until he sent me a PM later explaining where he was from and how he was "new to the internet and liked to watch people play video games" that he asked me why everyone insulted me so much. Granted, this person could have been trolling me, but I learned that very different things are insulting to different people, even if we think it normal.

Regardless, imagine if this person was a child, and everyone was saying a bad curse word. Much like this foreign man, they wouldn't understand why everyone is saying it, but to try to "fit in" they start saying it as well. The child wouldn't have the understanding to PM someone and say, "Hey, is this bad? I probably shouldn't be saying this, huh?" they'd just start saying it, and wouldn't give a care in the world until their parents or a teacher or someone else heard them say the word in real life. Then when asked where they heard the word, they point to Canterlot.

Last thing all of us need is Canterlot being shut down as an all-ages site just because some people couldn't keep their mouth shut and think before they speak. And if you think I'm being too serious? Well, you haven't been around the internet long enough, my friend.

I personally think censorship on a brony site is rather silly, as there are really rarely any children of the target demographic frequenting those. Most of what I've seen on sites is a bunch of teenagers and 20-somethings, and invariably with that much of a mature periphery audience being the majority, SOME form of inappropriate content for children's eyes will make its way out there to them regardless. It's like taking a child to a high school party and then trying to force everyone at the party to hold their tongues for the sake of that one child. They'll let it slip even if you try to stop them. It could be different here, but that's just my opinion. I'm not saying curse up a storm or anything (because honestly, that is rather obnoxious and vulgar. I think it should be kept to a moderate or minimum amount), but an occasional f, s, or d-word (ESPECIALLY the d-word, since that's not even censored on TV and children could easily hear that word and in fact, probably often do) here and there isn't going to hurt anyone. I can understand why it's done though. What I do think is even more silly is words being censored by accident by a filter that doesn't know left from right and then kind of just forcing somebody to find a different, more obscure word that people are less likely to understand. Particularly when you feel that one word conveys your meaning just correctly and any other word just doesn't "feel" right. It sounds odd, but it has happened to me.

Or, in my opinion, some American spellings being censored. @_@ Personally, I think it's kind of offensive to promote one regional spelling over another as it kind of is like the site is saying that US spellings are unacceptable and not real English, when they are as conventional as British ones.

Feel free to ignore me though. I'm just some newbie spouting out nonsense I know won't change anything. I mean, I don't mind it too much. I just do find it to be a rather minor inconvenience like the OP. Just nice to get your opinion out there, I guess, since I know pretty much everyone seems to disagree anyway. (In other words, please don't hurt me. I'm not looking for an argument. ^^; )

• Like 1

The word I run into that is censored that is vexing is:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/scrap

It is a bit annoying, but you can always just replace it so no big whoop. The worst side effect is when you read your post and a common, utterly non-vulgar word is censored and makes people think you're using really foul language.XD

It is a bit annoying, but you can always just replace it so no big whoop. The worst side effect is when you read your post and a common, utterly non-vulgar word is censored and makes people think you're using really foul language.XD

Yeah. Like when I want to type in:

S

k

y

S

c

r

a

p

e

r.

I'm not even sure if that'll come up parsed like this, but that's very annoying. I have to wonder how many RP's in Manehattan can even use the word. I'm fairly sure this is at least a valid concern.

• Like 2

This, I'm currently in an RP (Read: In[colour=#222222]vasion: The Fall of Equestria) and I used the word s-c-r-a-p and it got censored, s-c-r-a-p isn't a vulgar word (unless you are a machine), [/colour]unless I didn't get the memo but it isn't really a word that requires censoring, (unless you are a machine).

If you knew the word, I do not think you guys would say what you're saying. I literally did not even use the word and it was censored. And it's like I said, it's really no big deal, but I can't be the only person to deal with this. I guarantee no one would find the censored word vulgar or inappropriate.

I don't think you guys realize that I'm not calling for an end to censorship, I just want the one word to be uncensored

• Like 1

This, I'm currently in an RP (Read: In[colour=#222222]vasion: The Fall of Equestria) and I used the word s-c-r-a-p and it got censored, s-c-r-a-p isn't a vulgar word (unless you are a machine), [/colour]unless I didn't get the memo but it isn't really a word that requires censoring, (unless you are a machine).

That's what word I'm talking about! It's so annoying!

Allow me then to introduce you to this fantastic site called thesaurus.com.

What that site does is, take a word, and it will give you a list of comparable words!

Sorry if I seem a trifle condescending here, but this seems like a silly complaint that is easily remedied by expanding your own vocabulary.

It's like I said, it's not a huge problem, I have a decent sized vocabulary, but that word gets censored when it shouldn't get censored. It's pretty funny that it gets censored when I've heard cartoons use the word

I'm with the OP on this one. I don't want an end of censorship, I just find this particular blocking of combined letters inconvenient.

I can understand being able to use the thesaurus workarounds as an alternative, but sometimes I use words intentional for purposed of writing. If I'm not using it in an offensive way, I don't know why I am not allowed to use the English words I want to use. It also makes it look like you're saying something bad but you're not, like ****pie.

It is especially frustrating, when I can say assignment and button all I want without being censored, despite the fact that they contain words in them that I'm sure are not appropriate for this forum. It seems to me that it could just be programmed better so that s****book and skys****er without having to workaround. Wouldn't it stink if you had an OC pony named S****py? lol

Not going to lie, I was thrown off by that as well (s****, s****e and the like), but there are other words you can use. Artax would likely have to add the exceptions for any word like that. I'm not expecting him to do that. If he does down the line, than great, but for now I'm not finding it hard to use other words. And if anyone can't tell skys****er or s****book intent, then wow... Either that or set the list of words to be only vulgar instead of being *[vulgarity], [vulgarity]*, *[vulgarity]*, which would naturally include any amalgamation of the words that people tend to create. Having three rules, is a lot easier to deal with that several dozen exceptions and having to constantly revise the filter.

For now I just go back and edit it to a word that wouldn't trip the censor.

As for S****py... because of a certain cartoon dog, I'd rather die than have an OC named as such... -shudders-

• Like 1

Official / final words.

Why is that word censored? - Because it's simply a slang for faecal matter that's used in a negative way. (see 'swearing').

Why does this site prefer English spelling (Not British as there are several languages spoken in the British Isles)? - This isn't an American website & because it annoys elitist Americans. People complain about it = mission accomplished, please keep feeding it. ;)

Censorship on a Brony site is silly, there aren't any children there! - Pure ignorance. We're not a 'brony' website, we are a fan-site. We have a LOT of minors on this website and Mane and I will do what we can to ensure our website is not a source of inappropriate material and a safe clean place to be and accessible to ALL.

If you're not eloquent or intelligent enough to use a different word, that's more of a user problem right there.

The English language is wonderfully diverse, descriptive and adaptable and it's ridiculously easy to speak/type without resorting to vulgarities.

** Only 'curse words' in English are censored because you'll just end up banned from the site for using other languages. See Rules/Terms of Service for details.

• Like 4

Bravo Autumn! It is good to see that there are some ponies out here that are sensible, have a sense of decency and "cleanliness", as I mentioned before I was on another couple of other forums recently, and the "language" coming from these ponies were extremely vulgar and disgusting! Why must people make something that is meant for children into something for adults? There is no need for all this NSFW stuff as it is just plain disgusting and unnecessary!

I honestly don't think there are that many people here that consider the use of some of these words acceptable. I would never question the decision to censor a word that can be used offensively. I don't question the decision to censor a word that could be slang for any other curse word. I understand that. I just don't understand why words that are used for the right reasons and are clean are being censored as well. Sure, I can use another word, but you'll have to let me know when I do that since I don't know it's censored until after I've proofread my posts and posted it.