How Do Our Canterlot OCs Sound Like?

I've been meaning to post this thread for a while now, but I'm only now getting to it. Anywho, I'm quite curious to see if we RPers can describe how our OCs (and non-speaking background ponies) are supposed to sound like in our heads. If you want to, you can also mention how you think other OCs not belonging to you sound like, if you're so inclined. I'm personally rather interested to know how you think my own OCs and non-speaking background ponies sound like, to be honest.

As for my thoughts on some of my OCs' voices (check my log for reference):

• Moondancer - Almost like a valley girl in terms of being upbeat, but without being obnoxious.
  • Snively - Nasally and high-pitched; QuickLime once claimed him to be an evil Steve Urkle.
  • Col. Pummel - The complete opposite of Snively; most standard American-accented military commander voices could probably suit him well I guess.
  • Merlot - Alternates between a stereotypical arrogant French jerk and a dead-ringer for Paul Freeman depending on my mood.
  • Flakey Shards - Like Sunset Shimmer's in how haughty she carries herself, but higher-pitched since she's a filly.

And that's pretty much how the thread works. Now you give it a try. :razz:

I have thought of some of how my oc's voices would sound. So far only three though.

• For presteza, how I envision her voice is similar to basicly a british rainbow dash. since she's only recently reached marehood her voice still has the occasional crack in it and despite coming from a high class noble family she had pretty much let her trottingham accent go into cockney territory in her travels because she has began to care less about fully enunciating her consonants and the like.
  • For silver, his voice is very androgynous sounding but leans towards feminine tones very often to the point he could be mistaken as a mare pretending to do a bad impression of a stallion. Since he still comes from trottingham he still bears their characteristic accent although his is much more formal and calm sounding than his sister's. For a reference for how i hear his voice in my head would be... think Erin Fitzgerald in some of her male voice roles or perhaps Naoto shirogane form persona 4
  • Mistral I picture her voice as deceptively soft and alluring but still bearing that manehattan accent similar to babs' although she is capable of hiding it if she needs to. I don't have a VA reference for her sadly

My OCs sound like:

Granola - an overly nervous woman who is still single and becoming desperate. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjqjbc_37-year-old-woman-blind-date_fun

Sugar Rush - Like Braeburn and Pinkie in one. Definitely more of that Kentucky accent, as he is dedicated farmer.

Remington - Orel from Morel Orel, and actually, not too far off from Spike, when his voice was tamer in season 1 of FiM. Remy is a calm little guy.

Arrow Plain - Literally Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom mixed together. Incidental, I promise.

Coconut Lime - the Jamaican jellyfish from Shark's tale

Miracle - also like Granola, except more emo and lower pitched.

Hmm, voices for OCs. Here's the two I can think of right now:

Pyro speaks like a teenager, since he is one, but I think his voice would already be his adult voice. Idk why, but I keep thinking of Robert Downey Jr. (I believe that's the one that plays Iron Man) as a voice model. Even though he grew up in Canterlot, he doesn't have a rich pony accent.

As for Xan, I'm not quite sure what he would sound like. He would have a gruff voice, deep and serious. The only thing I can think of as a voice model would be the male hunter voice in SWTOR.

Oh boy...Ok, well then...

Lilia Bloom: Polite, soft spoken...think Fluttershy but a tad louder.

Cherry Bloom: The polar opposite of her twin sister above, Cherry sounds more like a peppy, up-beat kind of mare.

Sandy Shores: Mellow, like the sea she so loves. I keep hearing her as Jamaican for some (very) strange reason.

Hope Locket: As Trottingham high society would sound, a bit snooty with a dash of Rarity to her.

Charming Masquerade: FLUTTERGUY! No, in all seriousness, he is more of a British Fluttershy.

Shadowe Flare: He's so positive, I can't help but do a very aesthetic British accent in my head with him. When he speaks, it's all formal and stiff...though he can loosen up and still sound like the kid he is!

Dusk Flower: She sounds like me! Which is to say, barely any accent to her voice, since she was raised as a practical Gypsy of sorts.

Cosmopolitan: ...As a Manehattanite, she would of course sound like she came from New York. The "I'm walkin' here!" kind, like Babs Seed.

Well I only have three OCs at current, but the voices do play a significant role:

Carrot Fields: In Canterlot canon, speaks with the Fet Loch dialect of the Equestrian language, which to most Equestrians, sounds like a Scottish person speaking English, occasionally using actual Scottish words instead of English ones, which sound "foreign" to the users of standard Equestrian. In this regard I write him using Scottish-English phonetics. His sister has the same accent, just not as strong.

Martini Paradise: I imagined ponies from the Gallopous Islands to have several accents, one being a California Valley accent. Martini has learned to subdue this natural tendency for talking in "standard Equestrian" accent, although on occasion she switches back when she is really upset. Other than that I would say she has a cheerful Twenties to Thirties something female voice.

Sunrise Beach: Unlike her mother Martini, has a strong California Valley accent with a Punky Brewster like sounding voice as she is a young filly (I see her as equivalent of a 12-14 year old, and thus a little older than the CMC, who are more 10-12 in my mind).

Oh wow... you know this is something I've been struggling with my OCs, giving them a voice. But let's see...

Sky Flare - I'd like to think a male Rainbow Dash voice, brash, bold, and very confident.

Sweet Surprise - Hyperactive and very happy, kind of like Pinkie Pie but smoother

Guiding Light - A typical boy's voice, somewhat unsure of himself, but full of energy. (Basically I try to model Guiding Light after how I was as a kid)

Apple Cinnamon- Think Scarlet O'Hara from Gone with the Wind. Still a country accent but softer and melodic.

Lore Weaver- Well, basically how i sound! He has a deeper upbeat voice, but not as deep as say Big Mac.

Fire Heart- Tough one. Even though she's an older filly (Think between the age of a CMC and a young mare) Fire has a mare like voice, soft and alluring.

Night Watcher- Loud and clear sounding, very military like. I think of Luna with her Royal Canterlot Accent, although nowhere near as loud.

Heart Healer- A stereotypical geeky girl. I modeled her after Dr. Tannis from Borderlands 2. (Unfortunately I can't put a video on here since Borderlands is definitely not PG-13)

Riptide- Think 90s surfer accent, or Crush from Finding Nemo.

Watermelon Gush- Kind of see her as Sweetie Belle's accent. Cute, upbeat, and peppy.

Diamond Cut - A male Rarity. Has a faux British accent and tries to act proper.

Snow Dancer- I know I'm going to get tomatoes pelted at me by saying this, but Snow Dancer sounds like SnowDrop (well Snow Dancer is basically how I see Snowdrop should be) Anyway Snow Dancer is quiet and a little shy, but still confident.

And a little spoiler for a new OC...

Raven Duskwing - Sounds like Raven from Teen Titans. (Look for her soon!)

A most intriguing concept! I've thought about this as well but never really delved into it.

Foghorn: Easiest to explain as his voice is the reason for his name. Best way to explain is a mashup of James Earl Jones & Barry White. Deep, booming, with a sensuous tone to it.

Valour Bound: Val in my mind speaks with old english terms and mannerisms. Her tone is serious but not stern. Sort of like a caring but strict parent.

Regal Steel: I imagine Regal to have a faint highland accent(from her father) that becomes more obvious when she is stressed.

Peridot Mellow: Think of a monotonous feminine voice. Tada that's Peri.

Errare- A strong, musical almost colorful feminine voice. Full of cheer, optimism, and a tad pinch of something strange. ^w^ She mumbles stuff to herself a lot, and doesn't always realize what she says out loud.

Ebony Dusk- She has a sort of... spiteful, angry voice, though, it isn't always clear in the way she speaks. She tends to speak down on people a lot.

Ivory Dawn- He is full of happiness. Pure, 100%, concentrated joy. There is usually a skip in his tune, as well as his step.

Flake "Red" Frost- He usually doesn't speak at all, but when he does, its in a strong, sorrowful, yet caring voice.

Pathfinder- Imagine an overly excited teenage fangirl of a teen boy band. Mature a little.

Jackpot- A positive, lilting young stallion's voice with great speed and a bounce in every word.

Valen- Soft, not much in the way of strength behind it but with a firm sense of confidence. Not shy.

A very interesting question to consider. Well, let's see...

Pegasi:

Radiant Steel: Radiant would sound much like a archetypical tsundere girl, able to fully capture both the neurosis and vulnerable shyness and the out and out action girl aggression of her character equally well. Asuka Soryuu from Evangelion comes to mind for a reference.

Hopesong: Hopesong would have a young girl's voice with a cheerful, mischievous but all together easygoing lilt to it. Hard to really think of a specific reference.

Snowfall: Snow would have a very warm, pleasing voice, that was eloquent yet comfortable. Confident in most cases, but not without vulnerability. Often times playful. Asami Sato from The Legend of Korra is probably the best reference I can think of at the moment, though pitched just a little deeper perhaps.

Damask Luster: Damask would sound fairly mature for his age, though it would have a softness to it. Reflective, like he puts a lot of thought into each word spoken. Hard to think of a good reference.

Serendipity: Kind of all over the place. Usually always loud though. Goes from fast talking to low and sultry quite frequently and often makes a point of imitating others ways of speaking. Generally, her tone is fairly deep and rich. Always confident. I think voice actress Tara Platt is a good reference, going between the two main voices she used in Persona 3 (Mitsuru and Elizabeth).

Crystal Snowflake: Crystal is very staunch, serious and mature in tone. Has an affected higher class accent of sorts. When excited, she'll speak more naturally without the accent and with a girlish lilt. My brain isn't thinking of good references at the moment, but most any strict upper class mother character would do at least for how she generally speaks.

Earth Ponies:

Lady Luck: Lady has a somewhat deep, weary sounding voice, making it sound like she's really seen the world. She has a not exaggerated western accent, not unlike what you'd hear in rural Texas, that comes out most during the witticisms she peppers her speech with. Hard to come up with a specific reference; she's rather like the female version of a cool old west outlaw.

Midnight Brand: Midnight speaks quietly and solemnly. Her voice has a certain depth to it but is fairly smooth. When in the right element, it can get more intense and commanding. Again, it's kind of hard to think of a perfect reference immediately, so moving on.

Ardent Fate: Fate has a squeaky girly voice, but she tries to sound like a colt and speaks using a lot of antiquated archaic words most of which she likely only barely understands and occasionally fumbles over. Her standard tone, isn't probably too far off from something like Sweetie Belle, though of course with everything she would sound quite different.

Starless Shroud: Starless is quite deep and boyish for a mare. She also has a rather rough, very pointed way of speaking. Kyouko from Madoka Magica is coming to mind, but it'd be quite a bit deeper tonally.

Harlequin Salad: In a word, she's very much excitable. Talks fast. Generally she has a very girlish way of speaking and is prone to ramble. Sometimes she'll act like an idiot and go for loudness and affected bombast. Chie Satonaka from Persona 4 Golden, sped up and made even more goofy would probably be a good reference.

Slick Noir: He is very much intended to sound like a character from classic 1940's film noir in tone and manner of phrasing. That works for both the explanation and reference.

Unicorns:

Spirit Flame: Spirit has a very even, kind of emotionless and mechanical voice, but one that is often filled with wonder. She was inspired by the anime archetype of the cold, emotionless girl, but she is perhaps a little shakier in tone than most of them. Aigis from Persona 3 with a little more humanity is perhaps a good reference.

Dazzle Dawn: She has a very wide-eyed cheerful manner of speaking. Her voice is soft and she says everything upbeat. A lot of Madoka Kaname from Madoka Magica went into her design, but as she is now, she probably sounds a little more like an archetypical upbeat goofy anime moeblob--Yui Hirasawa from K-On! perhaps.

Arcana: Arcana speaks using a lot of thesaurus speak; big, rare words used whenever possible. Considering this, there's something in her tone that suggest she considers herself to be better and smarter than those around her. Her tone always suggests strongly that she is either bored or amused by her conversation partner. If the former, she will be harsh and have a sense of spite lingering off of them; if the latter, she will be prone to laughter and excitement. The best reference I can think of is Rachel Alucard from Blazblue, except pitched a little deeper.

Steel Dagger: Dagger's a definite smooth talker. He's got the deep, cool sort of voice to make the mare's weak in the knees. Playful but above all affectively charming and smooth. Hard to think of a specific reference but I'd say he perhaps sounds rather like some kind of bishounen prince type from some shoujo anime.

Gray Lexis: Gray has an aged, craggy voice. He speaks boisterously. Talks loud and fast and with dramatics. He sounds like an old man, but speaks like he's younger.Kinda your typical goofy, excitable older man voice.

Crystal Ponies:

Alexandrite Tilt: She speaks elegantly but with force, confidence and focus. Speaks using somewhat old fashioned words and phrasing, to emphasize that she's from another time. Her best reference is her main inspiration, Saber from Fate/Stay Night.

Tourmaline Glass: She sounds like a moody, pretentious little girl. Speaks fairly low and slow for a young pony. Like Alexandrite, she speaks in a somewhat old fashioned way at times too. In all, a good reference would probably be Tara Strong's Raven voice though pitched just a little higher as she's younger.

Others:

Verity Essence: Verity has a cool, big sis vibe to her. She has a very straightforward, easygoing persona. Sounds most often like she's having fun. As a reference, going to Persona once again, I'd say she sounds kind of like Rise Kujikawa only a little deeper.

Sierra: Sierra's voice is kind of high and girlish. She's fairly quiet though, using few words and carries herself maturely until she gets irritated or flustered. Again on Persona, she's probably tonally close to Yukari Takeba.

Vivid Flair: Vivid is normally quiet, but with a seriousness and intensity to her. When she gets excited or when she dresses as the Noble Flare she gets bombastic and downright theatrical. Her voice is either way fairly deep tonally. Julie Ann Taylor's performance as Kokonoe in Blazblue comes to mind for approaching how she'd sounds normally and in her louder moments.

Insara: She definitely has a mature sounding voice. she doesn't sound old exactly though. Definitely younger sounding than she is. Her voice is somewhat deep, smooth and with a somewhat sultry or mysterious quality to it. Has a slight African accent of sorts. Don't really have a reference, though she's not too far off from the basics of the mysterious fortune teller type she plays too.

Brenda Razorclaw: Tough, aggressive, and somewhat venemous but with an effort to sound elloquent and a hint of paranoia. Not too far from your average forceful female soldier or warrior with a respectable standing. Can't think of a good reference though, as at the moment I appear to have distressingly few games and series at the front of my mind.

Luxuria: Created as she was holding a somewhat warped mirror up to Rarity, there are definitely still shades of Tabitha St. Germain's performance to her. She makes effort to sound affectively classy. She's a lot flirtier though, and stresses sultriness. She's also more prone to bitterness and spite and occasionally madness. I'd say she's akin to Rarity with shades of Dark Sakura from Fate/Stay Night's Heaven's Feel route, or something similar.

• 5 weeks later...

STRATEGIC THREAD NECRO!

As for a few of my other characters:

• Ingrid Marie - Lately, I keep getting a Minnesota accent in my head whenever I think of her.
  • Morianna Razorclaw - Someone with a lot of gravitas in her voice; venomous, but more of a mastermind sort than a henchgriffon (ie. Brenda).
  • Falco Kestrelson - Somewhat redneckish.

I might come up with more thoughts at a later time. :P

Fire Walker: I could see Jennifer Hale doing her voice. Jennifer can do from the sweetest tone and quickly shift into a military commando type voice in a second. That's how I see Fire.

Pocket Change:He probably sounds like me. I've got this snarky type voice, but when I get surprised it tends to get rather whiny. I also hate my voice.

Zelda: April Winchell would be perfect for her voice. I can't really describe her voice..It's tough, but she's got a sense of humor. And her voice sounds like something that would come out of a beak.

Wind Walker: Not sure. Probably a typical female kid's voice. Sweet, but somewhat grating at the same time.

Stone Bones - Kevin McKidd

One of the very few whom I actually wrote with a specific voice in mind. Kevin McKidd plays Private Cooper in the cult horror film Dog Soldiers, though a lot of you might know him better as "Soap" MacTavish from the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare games. He's very, very, Scottish.

Acclaim - Michelle Rodriguez

I always pictured Acclaim as being feisty, but also tough and smart. She wasn't Latina in my mind, but Rodriguez's vocal timbre fits her right.

Rafale - Melanie Laurent

I imagined Rafale to have a sort of breathy, very light French accent. Melanie Laurent is perhaps best known to Tarantino fans as Shoshona from Inglourious.

CPT Fletcher - Michael Fassbender

Fletcher was meant to be a quintessential army officer: intelligent, physically capable, but also charming and handsome. I'll admit I was partly inspired by Fassbender's performance as Lt. Archie Hicox in Tarantino's Inglourious.

CPT Shining Armor - Mark Meer

Andrew Francis actually did a more serious Shining Armor voice once for an interview. I then became convinced that Shining Armor was basically pony MaleShepard. The rest followed from there.

Thunderlane - Freddie Prinze, Jr.

I wrote my version of Thunderlane with a bit of James Vega in mind (Mass Effect 3). While the Latino influence is not as obvious, his frankness and loyalty do come through.

COL Ironwing - Lance Henriksen

Lance Henriksen is probably best known for playing Bishop the android in the Aliens films and Admiral Hackett in the Mass Effect series, though he has also played several military characters in games and movies. He works great as a voice for an older, military man.

LTC Firefly (crossovers) - Jennifer Hale

Jennifer Hale is the queen of tough military characters, having played characters ranging from female Commander Shepard to Spartan Sara Palmer from Halo 4. Firefly is the main character of my fic Equestrian Horizon and is the epitome of a tough, independent leader.

CSM Novaya - Claudia Black

I've never heard Claudia Black speak Russian, but she has the husky, weathered voice that works for an older mare, especially a military one.

Sturmovik - Oleg Taktarov

Big gruff Russian. Enough said.

Alistair Goldmane

In my headcanon, southern Aquellia has an Australian accent as their regional dialect. Alistair is technically from the north near Talonopolis, but his working class family could easily have emigrated from the south. Sometimes he gets a harsher twang and slips into some slang, but most of the time he's more subtle. Think Hercules Hansen from Pacific Rim rather than Steve Irwin.

Oh I have to list the following:

1. Robikku would have to be, for the sake of layweresqueness, Sam Riegal { Phoenix Wright - Dual Destinies}
  2. Brazil Nut would, probably, in my mind, sound a little like Pierce Brosnan or Harrison Ford - Either/Or, there.
  3. Poni Stark inevitably sounds like Robert Downey Jr - seriously, who else would it be? XD

• 3 weeks later...

Silverbolt- Sounds exactly like me, accent and all. I've got a bit of a hybrid Iowa-Minnesota accent because I lived on the border for nearly 10 years.

Sunrise - Sounds like a middle aged woman who has had a few kids and raised them on her own for a few years. Her accent is also a flat Midwestern accent

Timid Star - Sounds like Little Timmy from a Christmas Carol (or was it Tiny Tim?). The black and white version of the film, with an island accent.

Archived