http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF_yLodI1CQ

The fact that this video is already filled with comments about Flim Flam and Cider astounds me XD

Chances are this is based on Ya Got Trouble... but since The Music Man is, well... for fans of musicals, and Simpsons is a pop culture icon... people are going to make the connection with the newer and more popular one.

Best. Friendship. Letter. Ever!

Ok, not really, but this was a pretty entertaining episode. I have to admit I love the ending. I can only imagine Princess Celestia's reaction when she reads that letter though... :shock:

I was thinking Paul Bunyan... but now that you mention it, I think I can see the John Henry thing too.

IS that an actual Paul Bunyan myth though? Outside of that animation, I mean.

I did a bit of looking around and I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere.

I'm gonna be honest.

I think the bit in the Paul Bunyan video is, again, a take on the John Henry myth xD

hi hi

Its like Anna Wintour vs Lady Gaga all over again. :P

Seriously though, the Simpsons is a show that pokes fun at pop culture itself, so chances are good that any given sketch on the Simpsons is referencing something else. (My class learned about John Henry in elementary school, but even so, the first thing that came to my mind was "The Coffee Baron," which was a short parody sketch of the legend. Even though I remembered John Henry just a moment later, the more recent funny version came to mind first.)

- Is anyone else catching a distinct change from season 1, in a good way? Like, less focused on pure friendship lessons and more telling stories?

That was probably the point, seeing as they removed the need for Twilight Sparkle in every episode. It kinda gives the creators more freedom.

Ohhh how I loved this one! As ever! Loved the Flim Flam Bros and their song! And Derpy reached a WHOLE NEW level of derpiness in this episode - those eyes! Amazing! <3

Anyone think the names for the brothers is a reference to Flimflam from the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo? (This may be before someponies time)

I was thinking Paul Bunyan... but now that you mention it, I think I can see the John Henry thing too.

IS that an actual Paul Bunyan myth though? Outside of that animation, I mean.

I did a bit of looking around and I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere.

I'm gonna be honest.

I think the bit in the Paul Bunyan video is, again, a take on the John Henry myth xD

I can believe that. :P

Actually the Music Man videos already have some Pony comments popping up too

Hmm perhaps, though the term Flim-Flam often reffers to advertising spin (Incidently I think Flim is the clean shaven one and Flam is the one with the moustache, since that's what they went with the most times....what does everyone else think?)

On that note I agree that it was nice to have the lesson of the episode be a confirmation rather than something the character had to learn and there were some great little details in this episode Like Rainbow Dash's dancing in the background around the end of the song or what looks like Silver Spoon's Father (right before they sing the chorus for the first time, he's the grey Earth Pony near the Pink Unicorn), Granny Smith fixing the fence right before it's broken again and Cheericorn (I'm not the only one who noticed the Unicorn that looks like Cheerilee, right?)

Actually I had a strange thought....What if Flim & Flam are Trixie's Brothers?

Also a couple of really good PMVs that have already shown up

• Like 1

Great episode! I will agree that it didn't quite have the same level of character exploration, conflict and depth as some episodes, but as an entertaining story that showcased the character's virtues, I think it did very well.

My only problem with the logic of the episode is that it implied that Sweet Apple Acres would go out of business if they couldn't sell cider to Ponyville. I'm willing to accept that as the premise of the episode, but it doesn't make sense. Only a few episodes ago, we found out about Zap Apple Jam, which provided the economic foundation of Ponyville itself and the Rich family fortune, which is still drawing buyers for miles in the present day. They sell raw apples in the Ponyville marketplace, supply baked goods for events like the Summer Sun Celebration, and even have non-apple-related sidelines such as corn, wool, milk, eggs and truffles. But now, apparently, cider sales are the only thing that gets them through the winter. Also, "lose the farm"? That implies that the farm is under some kind of mortgage, which seems odd when Princess Celestia personally granted it to Granny Smith's parents. As usual, the economics of Sweet Apple Acres don't make a lot of sense. I can live with that.

Putting that aside, I loved it. I was surprised when it turned out not to be a bet for the farm as such, which would have been a colossally stupid, and yet in character, thing for Applejack to do. Instead, it was Apple Bloom and Granny Smith who let the brothers' taunts rile them up. I would have thought "Call of the Cutie" taught Applejack not to let Apple Bloom talk when there was money involved.

There were some very nice callbacks in this episode. They reused the queueing area and shopfront from "Family Appreciation Day", which I liked. It was also nice to see how many of the recurring background ponies were in the queue, and a few minor characters like the Cakes.

New line for Big Macintosh: "No deal!" Very good. Also loved his goggles. He always looks kind of funny when he's running.

The Flimflam brothers seemed to have the same character model as Carrot Cake. It's always good to see a variety of body types.

It's also worth noting that the Flimflam brothers are unicorns, and given what we know about Equestria, there's just no way a couple of unicorns are going to produce apple cider of the same quality as an earth pony family. So even ignoring everything else, there was no doubt as to how this was going to turn out.

Oh, and I really, really loved the teamwork scene. Seeing the five ponies' faces against the apple background just filled me with joy I hadn't felt since the mane cast's first step into Discord's labyrinth trap. It was a great way to showcase the characters' skills and willingness to help. Fluttershy really is a lot more athletic these days! Also, there was a subtle indication of Rainbow's loyalty in that scene - I think she actually wanted the Flimflam brothers to win so she'd finally get some bucking cider, but of course she had to help Applejack.

Finally, I think this episode had just the right level of "adult bonus". The adult viewers all know that cider is often alcoholic, making everypony's obsession with it just that much more amusing. I'm certain that the shot of Berryshine being so very disappointed at not getting any cider was an entirely intentional shoutout to fandom's portrayal of her, while being entirely harmless to young viewers.

I enjoyed this episode, though part of me was going at the end, "see, you CAN have high quality stuff and enough for all of Ponyville if you try hard!" Sure, they had the other ponies helping but they did all that in 45 minutes. It just feels like they take their time as much because they've never needed to push themselves (monopoly) as the quality aspect. Going from the time of the contest, you could reasonably assume 5-6 hours of work would, if they were going at a brisk pace, given enough cider for the town. So I can only assume they really took their time before.

And don't get me started on why don't they let people take numbers to come back the next day, or limit one per person. Just feels like the letter should have been "We got complacent and needed a kick in the ass".

As for the idea of not being able to keep the farm, they don't need it mortgaged for that to be an issue. It's big and the upkeep costs money. Loosing a very lucrative revenue stream, especially your only one for 4 months a year could easily be fatal. I presume from context Zap Apples are possibly a spring fruit, given foals are in school for the harvest time. If not, it could mean up to half a year before the next fresh apples.

Blah blah blah still liked it and appreciated AJ Learning Her Lesson from last episode and Applebucking Season and not being too proud for help.

Finally, I think this episode had just the right level of "adult bonus". The adult viewers all know that cider is often alcoholic, making everypony's obsession with it just that much more amusing. I'm certain that the shot of Berryshine being so very disappointed at not getting any cider was an entirely intentional shoutout to fandom's portrayal of her, while being entirely harmless to young viewers.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the implication was totally intentional. Just look at the looks on the ponies' faces as they drink the cider, and the tap they have to pour from into the tankards: the barrels have spigots, but they're pouring from a separate tap almost like a beer tap. Also applejack (the drink) comes from cider, and they mention it taking time to make (implying fermentation). I think they definitely wanted it to be seen as alcohol for the adults.

hi hi

I'm sure the implication is possible, but honestly, round where I come from, cider isn't viewed as alcoholic at all. People will seriously look at you funny until you say "Oh, I meant hard apple cider." at which point they'll say something along the lines of "ooOOOoooh. I gotcha..." and they still think its a little bit weird.

There is a tradition at the local apple orchard near where I live, when cider season starts, they have a family friendly "Fall Festival Day" where parents are encouraged to bring their kids and they have samples and games and prizes and a little corn maze and you can get a big discount on apples you pick yourself.

Overall entertaining episode. :D

Bon-bon spoke... I do wish she had a cuter voice, though... Maybe they will give her something different if she talks again.

... Lyra yelled "NO!"...

My little brother and I just finished watching the episode!

This episode proved to me more that as long as the Mane 6 stay true to their beliefs, Ponyville will always stay the safe and honest land that it's always been.

Now, concerning other things, I found this episode such a joy to watch!

T'was awesome! I love how we're seeing so much of the Mane 6 all together in one episode, each getting their own moments, while still getting a good dose of our favorite BG ponies like Doctor Whooves, Bon Bon and Lyra. :D

It might get redundant (if it hasn't already) if I listed all the stuff that I loved about this episode like everypony else has, so I'm...gonna do it anyway! ^^

-Loved Dash's face during the song while she was watching the machine.

-The song itself was great, it got me so pumped that I actually craved cider.

-Dash eating cider-soaked dirt.

-"Oh, for Pete's sake!!!" That line I honestly laughed at.

-Big Mac and Dash running full tilt on the press

-Doctor Whooves having an actual purpose

-Dash finally getting a mug!

-Granny Smith's spat with Flim

-AJ's letter=Best one yet!

Also, Flim and Flam are my fav minor antagonists in the whole series so far. *grins* They're such charming braggarts.

I have to agree about Sweet Apple Acres probably being expensive to run and not being under any sort of mortgage. The Apple Family has quite a few animals to feed, as well as themselves, not to mention AJ just built a new barn (Lesson Zero). I think that might be expecting too much from the canon we've gleaned from past episodes, but running a farm is pretty expensive, even though the Apples do all of the labor themselves.

Also that dance the group of ponies did during the Flim Flam opening seemed weird to me -- their knees looked weirdly disjointed, and it was disconcerting to see them "dancing" around with the wobbly knees. I don't know if it could even be called a dance, maybe they were just grooving along to the Flim Flams' tune.

Also have an alternate ending:

1K5Up.jpg

What fun! But...

WTF Pinkie? You tell all of your friends (the other three of the main cast were in the first 20), and everyone in Ponyville about it EXCEPT Rainbow and Fluttershy? You order 12 mugs when you know that they run out everytime? And then you brag about it to those that didn't get any?

Even Rainbow, as selfish and annoying as she was, wanted to include Flutteshy, AND he put FS in line before herself!

WTF Apple family? How can you be so unsavvy about a business that rolls in the dough and is responsible for keeping you afloat? How many farms in the world have no need to hire seasonal workers? Couldn't you come up with some sort of voucher system, or only sell when you have enough of a back up supply? How about limit one per customer?! ANYTHING to keep your cutomers happy!

And furthermore, you let a bunch of showsmen BULLY you into a dangerous bet! And AFTER you lost the competition, and nearly lost in important source of income, Applejack had the gall to claim she learned nothing? You learned nothing because you are BLIND! Things ended well, so you are going to ignore the red flags, the warning lights and sirens that were blazing around you? Most people learn form their close calls and near misses, but you just blew them off! Shame on you all!

GRAGHGHGH!

Also, I really miss living near a cider mill now. This reminded me of standing in the long lines that stretched around the building to get cold cider and hot doughnuts. And the warning lables! "Warning: this beverage has not been pasturized and should not be consumed by anyone"