The Ugly Angle

Nah, there's nothing 'ugly' about this show. I really love the character design..That view is a little odd, but it's I don't mind it a bit. And you can't beat chubby cheeked Applejack. <3:smug:

Princess Celestia generally looks pretty stupid when she's head on in my opinion. But it doesn't bother me very much.

lolstupid.JPG

That entire angling looks a little off. Probably because it was season 1, when they were testing the waters, making this for kids, and didn't have our criticizing fanbase. I think we can all agree there was improvement from season 1 to season 2 animation.

In this shot, her head is tilted upwards. Also, her pupils are totally different sizes. Not sure what preceded or anteceded this scene to make her hold her head up like that. Maybe it was a thing they were trying with her being royalty?

Princess Celestia generally looks pretty stupid when she's head on in my opinion. But it doesn't bother me very much.

lolstupid.JPG

This was one of the first pictures from that show that I ever saw way back before I was a brony. I thought it was awful. I also didn't notice the two back legs the first time around. Looked even worse with that thought in my head.

Anyways, I think the front shots are adorable. I'll admit that I thought that Shining Armor and Big Mac both looked pretty silly from the front. It wasn't that bad though. Braeburn looks fine.

It honestly depends on the scene for me. Most of the time it doesn't bother me much, even though I think it often looks... off. The first time it really stood out to me and had me sitting there with a strained look was during the best pet episode. It happened so many times, and after that season 2 really seemed to start to like that angle a little too much.

As Scotch mentioned before, it's both great and more of the same in the This Day Aria. Chrysalis looks amusingly evil from that angle, and near the end of the song Cadance looks awkward while calling out for Shining Armor. If this is what I have to occasionally put up with for fantastic animation however... So be it.

Ya know, I didn't think about this before...but once again the fandom points it out, and now I'll think about it every time I watch it, :wail:

Just kidding.

But seriously, the angle seems off in proportion moreso than anything else. After all, with a real horse, you won't see much of its features. I suppose to make up for it, the animators need to kinda cram things together to make the angle seem identifiable, rather than even more stupid-looking and odd. It's weird, sure, but if we were to have correct proportions, it'd look even stranger.

An angle with features is better than an angle that can't be distinguished, really.

hi hi

The only thing I see is Applejack looking adorable. :)

I know its not as strong as other angles, and I think they do tend to avoid it when they can, but I don't think it looks weird. I actually thought they had been improving the angle as time went on, with Shining Armor's face showing off a new level of cuteness for the angle.

I don't consider this an ugly angle when applied to the common mare template, as well as any fillies and even young colts - likely because their heads are very round, with the snout only sticking out in 3/4 or side profile.

Stallions and special ponies like Celestia, on the other hand, do look like they have off-model features, though. This applies to them because their heads are supposed to be more angular - yet their front profile views have them with the very circular head that mares use.

The show makes great use of Flash layers to make characters appear like they are looking in a wide variety of angles.

Making the right eye bigger, moving the snout to the left side, and making the left eye smaller, would give the illusion that the character is slightly turning their head towards the left. It's just tweening, but it adds a nice smooth head turn animation that most cartoons don't have.

This works with the common mare because their heads are, for the most part, round, but with the others, as it was said before, their features seem to have been squished together to make their heads round, too. Except they're not. :scream:

hi hi

What bugs me about the front angle is not the face but the legs. They just didn't have a good way of foreshortening legs while ponies were walking or running, but they finally figured it out in time for Pinkie Pie's Smile Smile Smile song, where she has a jaunty stride while still facing directly at the camera. (so to speak.)

As an artist, I have trouble drawing ponies when they are facing directly forward. Maybe it's just me.

But as for the look, I have no problem with it. it looks kind of strange for the Princesses/ stallions, but otherwise isn't a problem.

The fact is though that few times there needs to be an occasion for a character to look dead on to the camera, unless wanting to show a full expression of their face or breaking the forth wall and talking to the audience.

It's just so hard to draw Chihuahuas Ponies from that angle... Though honestly, while it's not my favorite, I dont mind it, but I ave to admit that shot everyone keeps referencing of SA does look... odd... the others, not so much...

I actually just watched Best Pet which I just noticed has A LOT of forward shots and you know what. I just dont care if they dont accurately portray the shape of the head anymore. During RD's and Fluttershy's duet there are some of the cutest faces I have ever seen. So in favor of adawablness, I change my mind, I like how they draw them head on. (except that one shot of shining armor...that one still makes me laugh)

like these...

Rainbow_Dash_may_the_best_pet_win_face.png

Rainbow_and_Fluttershy_smile_S2E07.png

786px-Rainbow_Dash_%27just_one_way%27_S2E07.png

It is more forgivable when they are far away, but those closeups make me cringe. Now that I have increased my own awareness of them, I have found a couple that were alright. But mostly I'm still annoyed.

Daww to the Twilight one.

I have to draw a pic where Twilight is making that Squee smile.

And just great you upset Twilight.

Funny enough, I was just talking about this to my friend yesterday. Some ponies are downright fugly when they look directly at the camera, and it's disconcerting. It's most likely the lack of shading in the show that does it. Since we see no definition, we see the faces as flat panes, and it's just very....wonky.