The Ugly Angle

814px-Sad_Applejack_S1E4.png

Does anyone else see what I see?

Because the My Little Ponies are amazing from every angle except from dead on. They suddenly go to round-faced and weird noses. What is the deal? Such an annoying look. What do you think?

• Like 1

Also, I think Celestia has some funky angles in Lesson Zero, if I recall right.

Celestia looks weird from head on too. Now granted, there are some awful head on shots, but those aren't the ones I am talking about. I think that even at their best they are all bad...

815px-Princess_Cadance_wedding_crashed_S2E26.png

yet another topic title that I keep misreading as my own name XD

BUT YES

I AGREE

GAH, WHY THEY GOTTA LOOK SO AWKWARD? D:

I mean, it's not like there's a better way to draw them from the front, but they look so awkward and it's hard to draw o)3)

• Like 1

yet another topic title that I keep misreading as my own name XD

I misread it as "The Ugly Angie" at first and I'm like "Weeshy, how could you?!"

It's not the face-on angle that bothers me, it's if their facial features are looking somewhere else and the animation/pose looks really strained, so their face looks ... not-right. I'll have to take a screen shot next time I see it.

I agree that some angles look awkward, but the animation and everything else is fantastic outside of that, really.

I believe he was just making a goofy face to amuse filly Twilight. That's what I got out of it. :blush:

nah but see it was every time I saw him head on I cringed. I just felt something was really off about it. like his muzzle was way too long to look so flat you know?

it never bothered me until I saw Shining armor head on. Every time I was just "dubuq just happened to his face?" he always looked cross eyed to me like that

I think the girls look fine from a forward angle. The guys though... the faces look almost human.

Shining+Armor.jpg

The reason I think so few male characters are seen head on is that their head design makes it awkward to draw correctly. In the immortal words of Bill Nye, consider the following:

Look at Big Mac's head. Now Braeburn's. And any other male character: Filthy Rich, Caramel, anypony. All their heads are the same general shape as a horse's. Unlike horses though, the front views of all the characters have shown us that our little ponies have their eyes set rather forward compared to the side, and their eyes are obviously much larger and take up more room on the head.

Now for the girls, that's not a problem. The way female character's snouts are drawn has that curve below the eyes, forming a sort of nose that makes 3/4 and full views easy to draw and not very awkward.

Guys on the other hand have this long snout that goes from top to bottom of their head. Assuming the guys have their eyes forward like the girls do (and judging by the front view of Bic Mac very early on in the series, they do), it makes drawing them face on a little awkward compared to the girls. Big Mac is drawn fairly well for the occasional times you see his face, but it still looks a little awkward, like the giant snout got compressed a little into one area. Braeburn looks even stranger, having bigger eyes than Mac. SA's face just looks WEIRD. Problem is it's only weird if you look at it in comparison to their side view head. Making a 3D head turn of a male character would look weird, while the girls probably not as much.

On the topic, I personally like the front views of most character. I think they're fine. It's just part of the art style, IMO.

I think they're fine. It's just part of the art style, IMO.

Yeah, If I were the art director, I would have a ban on that angle. I think the few times where they don't seem to be facing the right direction would be more than made up for by the lack of weirdness that takes me out of the show when they happen. Note that they can still look straight at the screen even if they are facing slightly away.

Yeah. I can see what you mean. Guys do look odd at that angle...

830pxapplefamilyadmirin.png

Ok, explain why you singled out Big Mac in that picture? Is that the only one that you think looks weird?

Like Angle said, I mean Angie, I wouldn't be surprised if they really are doing the best that they can, but it is still frustrating.

• Like 1

well think about it for a second. If this was the first pic of big mac you saw would you have an accurate idea of what he looks like from the side? I would say from this pic that his head is the same shape as applejack's. No doubt they're doing their best of course. It would look even weirder if they added something to make it closer to his actualy head shape