Official Discussion Thread - S05E4 Bloom and Gloom

861560__safe_solo_apple+bloom_older_tran

She can't be a little blank flank forever, our little Apple filly is growing up!

Saturday is upon us again and with it another new episode of the love we love, so sit back and watch adorable ponies do adorable things! From the title, one can guess this is about Applebloom and her quest for a cutie mark!  Will she finally get one?  What could it be?  Will her friends be alright with her getting one first?  Or will she be disappointed once again?  :sniff:  Watch and find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on April 18th. :)

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :smirk:

Bonus Applebloom GIF!

862495__safe_anthro_animated_upvotes+gal

Perhaps in another dimension, this is what her special talent is!

This finishes off the CMC dreamer trilogy.

Pros: Apple Bloom was in full blown cuteness. Character development for all CMCs. Derping Dolphin. AJ's lullaby.

Cons: Tired Groundhog Day trope. The episode was just really, really weird. But, I guess some dreams are.

I enjoyed it, and I hope this is setup for the CMCs finally getting their cutie marks later in the season. 8/10.

This finishes off the CMC dreamer trilogy.

Pros: Apple Bloom was in full blown cuteness. Character development for all CMCs. Derping Dolphin. AJ's lullaby.

Cons: Tired Groundhog Day trope. The episode was just really, really weird. But, I guess some dreams are.

I enjoyed it, and I hope this is setup for the CMCs finally getting their cutie marks later in the season. 8/10.

Scootaloo's dream flight is funny/sad and I just love the fact she knows that is the only way she is ever, EVVVEEEERRRRR, gonna kiss the sky! XD

Scootaloo's dream flight is funny/sad and I just love the fact she knows that is the only way she is ever, EVVVEEEERRRRR, gonna kiss the sky! XD

:halo: Oh she might one day...

Great episode!

I like that it was another Luna dream episode. Although the repetitiveness of the dreams could be ongoing, it made a point to touch on each issue Apple Bloom faced per dream sequence: getting a mark she didn't like, getting a mark and having to not be a Crusader and leave her friends, her friends getting a mark and having to leave her, and thinking her family wouldn't support her. Sometimes there are those strange dreams within a dream.

The lightning bug things were interesting, but i wonder if they exist in the real world or the dream world. 

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo having dreams that didn't go as planned added to the idea that Apple Bloom isn't alone. 

Overall a great dream with a great message to those children and adults who still are trying to find out their purpose in the world! 9/10

It was kind of fun.

Pales next to the other two CMC dream episodes. Think it was hindered by the fact that unlike those two, there was nothing happening outside of the dream, well aside from the opening bit (which was kind of cool and surprising).

Applejack and Apple Bloom's relationship was portrayed really sweetly. The little lullaby was really lovely and seemed to fit with the idea that Applejack really is a sort of mother figure for her sister which we've seen in earlier episodes.

Sweetie Belle's dream judging panel made me laugh.

Not a bad episode, but weakest so far this season.

More pancakes.

Pretty decent episode.  1+ for Luna appearance.  Though, when it was revealed that Apple Bloom's dreaming,  I figured she would make an appearance.  Im kinda meh on the Groundhog day trope as well. 

Kinda lost it when that ridiculous dolphin cutie mark appeared.  Half expected the family to toss her out for having a cutie mark in the shape of an orange or a pear.  Not expecting the derpiest dolphin ever.  xD

Ok. After writing 2000 plus words and many a paragraph plus my anxiety getting in the way, it's time for me to deliver my thoughts on the episode. A little late than usual, but I had a lot to write about on the blog from my own experiences with anxiety that it took a little longer than first planned to publish.

To recap from my tweet this morning:

"Well...that episode was something completely unexpected. It covered the anxiety issue perfectly. A great episode!"

This episode for me was completely different that I thought it was. I thought it was going to go extremely dark and extremely deep and deal with the issue of anxiety in the style that the season premiere did, but it turned out to be a great episode that also went to lengths to cover the topic without having to go too dark in terms of the storyline.

Sure it tested my anxiety, stress and PTSD to breaking point, but I actually enjoyed it despite being “shook up” as they say.

There were some scenes that pushed me to the limits such as the later nightmare sequences with Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle and when the Apple Family turned on Apple Bloom and disowned her. I couldn't get through these scenes without my PTSD, anxiety and stress getting in the way and having painful flashbacks of my early life (e.g. fighting with parents, bullying etc) also fuelling the tension.

But despite the bad, there were a few scenes that actually warmed my heart a little. This included the scene where Sweetle Belle was on stage and about to sing. I can only imagine what Rarity must have been going through at that point in time and without getting a little overboard on this, I actually had a dream after watching the episode where Rarity ended up comforting a crying Sweetie Belle at the Carousel Boutique.

In the end, I have to give the show staff credit for actually tackling this issue that no other show in it’s genre couldn’t touch.

After this episode, I've got a good feeling that the Cutie Mark Crusaders might end up having their big moment soon enough. It may not be today, it might not be tomorrow or even a few years down the track, but when the time comes and it’s good and ready, I’ve got a good feeling that we will see history being made before our eyes.

I have also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

The audio description version of the blog post is now also available:

This episode was a good one. However, it made it made me recall a LARGE number of night terrors I had as a child. Waking up from one nightmare, only to still be asleep and having another nightmare. Not sure what the name for such a thing is, but it happened to me a lot when I was younger. So this episode really gave me the shivers a bit remembering all those nights waking up in a scream and then doing so again.

Ah geez, I'd forgotten that there was a new episode last night... but I've watched it now! It was good... couldn't say I was expecting Applebloom's version of "For Whom The Sweetie Belle Tolls". Did Scootaloo have her version as well? My memory's hazy.

Come to think of it, does this mean Babs is being written off the show?

Ah geez, I'd forgotten that there was a new episode last night... but I've watched it now! It was good... couldn't say I was expecting Applebloom's version of "For Whom The Sweetie Belle Tolls". Did Scootaloo have her version as well? My memory's hazy.

Come to think of it, does this mean Babs is being written off the show?

Scoots' version was the first. Season three, episode six, Sleepless in Ponyville.

I also don't think Babs is being written out.

Hmmm. The CMC's dream sequences are complete. The last dream sequence ended on a cutie mark related lesson and this season's overarching theme is cutie marks. Sounds like the CMC are getting their cutie marks this season. :D

I really liked this episode, though I enjoyed Scoots and Sweetie Belle's more. A huge plus for me was all the progression. The CMC finally learn that cutie marks don't matter as long as they're happy with who they are. This should pave the way for a "CMC finally getting their cutie marks" episode. But are they gonna get them at the same time, or is there going to be an episode dedicated to each one? I'm pretty interested in how this is going to (possibly) happen.

Did anyone else notice that Lyra had a mustache while running away from the Twitter Mite infestation?

Other than that, I loved the message in this episode. Very mature, and the best message of the dream trilogy. I liked the Groundhogs Day feel of it. I also loved the Rainbow Dash fan club things in the clubhouse. The Rainbow Dash balloon animal made me smile, mostly because I know someone who could easily pull off making one of those.

I have to admit, I really liked this episode and what it was about.

I'd have to say that it's probably one of the few 'CMC' episodes that I really enjoyed watching. Right now, I'd say it's probably also my favorite 'CMC related' episode.

It's not even because of Luna. Luna certainly helped it, and so did the Vinyl Scratch and Octavia appearances, but the content of the episode was really good and a really good "lesson" or whatever you want to call it.

Yet another AMAZING episode.

:D

Well'm stopped to follow the show since Twilight Sparkle turned into Twilicorn and I only hears from new stuffs from the fandom but today I watched this episode.

While this episode was about the original CMC Trio Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo and the fourth member Apple Bloom's cousin Babs Seed was only mentioned in the beginning of the episode I can't help but  stopped by her. Guess because she is my nr. 1 CMC? :!:

The rest of the show the show was interesting too but I still stuck at Babs Seed.

I'm glad everything turned out nicely for Apple Bloom and her cutie mark nightmare passed and she don't need to worry about what kind of cutie mark she'll earn in the future. However I'm not so sure her cousin is that lucky. Maybe some problems were solved for Babs Seed but others might be just risen.

rjrgmc28:

Maybe it's me or just I see things dark but maybe Babs Seed it's rother Babs Seed the one who my could be disowned by her family the Oranges for the cutie mark she just earned

Well'm stopped to follow the show since Twilight Sparkle turned into Twilicorn and I only hears from new stuffs from the fandom but today I watched this episode.

While this episode was about the original CMC Trio Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo and the fourth member Apple Bloom's cousin Babs Seed was only mentioned in the beginning of the episode I can't help but  stopped by her. Guess because she is my nr. 1 CMC? :!:

The rest of the show the show was interesting too but I still stuck at Babs Seed.

I'm glad everything turned out nicely for Apple Bloom and her cutie mark nightmare passed and she don't need to worry about what kind of cutie mark she'll earn in the future. However I'm not so sure her cousin is that lucky. Maybe some problems were solved for Babs Seed but others might be just risen.

rjrgmc28:

Maybe it's me or just I see things dark but maybe Babs Seed it's rother Babs Seed the one who my could be disowned by her family the Oranges for the cutie mark she just earned

..Babs is not an orange... and she's not going to be disowned either, pony society doesn't work that way.

Archived