It is that time of the week again when we all huddle around our computers and televisions and watch adorable ponies do adorable pony things. In this week's episode, the most adorable ponies of them all, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, will get into all new foalish antics as they seek to become the most popular fillies at school thanks with their new royal tutor. More ridiculously cute CMC songs? Sweetie Belle once again being so adorable as to give you diabetes? Find out in just a few hours! Please discuss the episode, but remember to keep the spoilers in the spoilers bracket. Episode airs Saturday 10 AM EST on February 22nd.

CMC_wearing_clothes_promotional_S4E15.jpg

And that's how we got into that R rated movie! Cutie mark Crusader Film Critics Go!

The good: I like CMC episodes. It was nice to see them practicing new skills with Twilight, and it's great to see them with new facial expressions and in new situations together. Twilight pigging out on hay burgers was great, also the "Spike made nachos!" gag. Pinkie showed up for a little bit to ham it up. This is one of the first episodes this season that the Mane Six were not all present, so that was interesting.

The bad: The first half of this episode felt overly safe and rote. The Diamond Tiara/Silver Spoon antagonist scheme returned yet again, which is getting old.

Overall it was enjoyable, but nothing truly mind-blowing -- just another CMC episode to add to the pile. The ending did feel strong with them finally mastering their new skills. I also saw the Crystal Box diagram in the background of Twi's house, so the background subplot behind that continues to develop. I'd give this episode a safe and watchable 7.5/10.

this was a cute episode

this was an alright CMC episode as one who really doesn't love CMC epi's to much this one was a good one and i liked from time to time how stern twi was at times i was :o oooo~~~ she mad so i'll give it a 8-10 for a CMC, i liked sleepless in ponyville that was a 10-10 for a CMC.

and now Sweetieloo is cannon fanfics go wild lol

and i actually like diamond tiara and silver spoon ( i'd like them to actually befriend the CMC) *hides from flames*

Better than last week, though still not quite to the standard of the set before that.

I'm kind of surprised that this is a Dave Polsky written episode. It doesn't really feel like his style. The humor isn't as front and center as he usually has it, nor did it have an abundance of ambition. It was just a cute and charming if mostly irreverent and small scale Cutie Mark Crusader episode. it came across almost subdued in parts. It wasn't cloying though, nor was it dull. All in all, I'd say it was a pretty good time, though it could have been better.

It was the first episode that really dealt with the whole Princess Twilight thing in a while. You'd think it'd be pretty hard not to notice those wings and she'd get swamped with fans all the time, but no. Seeing her for once actually get to be the celebrity princess who is the center of attention was kind of nice, especially since she dealt with it so well. This episode definitely showed a mature Twilight. If it didn't get as much out her character as I'd expect from an episode with her name in it, her part in it was still refreshing.

The CMC were the real stars here though. It was definitely an episode about them, and as CMC episodes go, I'd probably say it was above average. Certainly not Ponyville Confidential, but better than all the earliest CMC episodes. Probably just slightly behind the Scootaloo episode earlier this season. All three CMC were cute. Sweetie Belle seemed the most center of all of them with her misplaced confidence, though it was pretty even. The ending made it pretty interesting though. It's kind of refreshing to see the CMC actually accomplish something, rather than just fail. I wonder if Twilight will continue in a mentor role for them and help them foster these skills further? In Apple Bloom's case, I find it kind of fun that she's still into potions. I suppose all the time she's spent with Zecora's rubbed off.

For me, it was probably Diamond Tiara that stole the show though. She was just generally amusing this time out. Adorable too. She wasn't quite as mean as usual; more subtle than usual. I liked seeing her house and pool, and also getting to meet her poor butler. Silver was cute too. Pip was also back; to be entirely honest, he grated on me to an extent in the Luna ep and here he's even worse. I dunno. Lots of other cute fillies and colts, though not much to say about them. Kinda is surprising Snips and Snails were absent though, considering they fit so immediately into the fanboy/follower role.

So yeah, good episode, but not amazing. I had some fun. Could have frankly used a little more humor to make it all more immediate. still, not bad, though I hope what we see next week is even better.

Well, I have to confess I had really low expectations for this episode. However, although 'Twilight Time' was better than I thought it would be, it was still not a 'great' episode IMHO. First of all, it went a bit slow in the beginning. Second, as one member already pointed out, this Diamond Tiara vs. the CMC thing is getting old. I did like the ending, and I also loved the introduction of yet another elderly pony (the butler Randolph). All in all, not a bad episode but not a great one either. One of my least favorite of Season 4 so far

"Awwww...what can I say? This episode was outstanding! Well done Cutie Mark Crusaders!"

"I've got a good feeling that these three fillies, including Sweetie Belle have a great future ahead of them. *wipes away tears*"

Need I say more? Although this week's quick write up is a bit short in terms of content, the above tweets are really summing up how I feel about the episode when it went to air this morning.

As always, I have spoilered my thoughts on the episode below:

When I first heard about the episode when the synopsis and title were released a while back, I thought it was going to be a time travelling episode where the CMC's would use the potion to turn back the clock and cause chaos (time paradox), but after watching the first few minutes and seeing Sweetie Belle and her fellow friends under the guidance of Twilight and learning some new skills really made me proud for some reason.

Seeing Twilight in a new role as a teacher and a mentor to the CMC really brought the best out in all of them during this episode, especially Sweetie Belle who actually managed the situation with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon in a calm and collective manner.

Apart from that, there isn't much else to say in this write up as the episode itself told the story as a whole.

Also as a bit of a side note, I'm feeling a major sense of pride right now for the CMC. True and honest.

When I saw Sweetie practising her magic and using her horn, I immediately thought of how Rarity would be feeling at that point in the episode knowing her little sister, despite the fair share of pain and frustration is finally making a mark in her life.

For all three fillies (plus Babs) who from the start of the series tried and tried endlessly to find their special talent and had their fair share of hard knocks, sisterly fights, run ins with Diamond and Silver and even pulling off the impossible, I've got a good feeling that despite the series going for an extra five years that the CMC's will continue to grow and mature to the point that one day they will finally find their special talent and obtain their cutie mark goal.

I also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

Also I thought I put together a post episode reaction art piece which took place after the event (spoilered for large file size):

FMY2kdA.png Full Size Image: http://rjrgmc28.devi...oment-436032565

That was fun. Like always.

I like the huge number of new foals, seeing more pony foods and restaurants and Diamond's home (although I wanted to see the interior). I like the animation for the close-up on Apple Bloom's hoof as she pressed the switch and the front shot of Spike crying out in frustration toward the end – I do enjoy seeing new expressions. That crowd of angry foals was funny, like the world's cutest zombie siege (check out that drooling colt!). I want to see Silver's home now. It would be funny if she was actually poor, but Diamond keeps her supplied with nice accessories to hide that.

Kinda is surprising Snips and Snails were absent though, considering they fit so immediately into the fanboy/follower role.

They are present in several scenes. Nothing major, but you can spot them in some of the group shots.

That was fun. Like always.

I like the huge number of new foals, seeing more pony foods and restaurants and Diamond's home (although I wanted to see the interior). I like the animation for the close-up on Apple Bloom's hoof as she pressed the switch and the front shot of Spike crying out in frustration toward the end – I do enjoy seeing new expressions. That crowd of angry foals was funny, like the world's cutest zombie siege (check out that drooling colt!). I want to see Silver's home now. It would be funny if she was actually poor, but Diamond keeps her supplied with nice accessories to hide that.

They are present in several scenes. Nothing major, but you can spot them in some of the group shots.

I don't see how establishing a character is poor or homeless would be "Funny" ?

I've never understood the orphaned Scootaloo thing. Just seems a cruel thing to assume or want for the character.

Silver being poor would kind of be an interesting play on people's expectations for the character though. I could see where that could add a certain depth to the character and a dynamic one wouldn't expect. It wouldn't be good for the character herself, sure, but it would be kinda interesting to see.

Of course, her and Diamond are supposed to just be the bully mean girls, so I somehow doubt they'll be doing anything so subversive with her character at all. :P

Yeahh XD

Also sorta odd that the fandom wants to see Orphaned Scootaloo and Penniless SilverSpoon, :razz:

Really? I never knew this was a popular idea about Silver.

Silver being poor would kind of be an interesting play on people's expectations for the character though. I could see where that could add a certain depth to the character and a dynamic one wouldn't expect. It wouldn't be good for the character herself, sure, but it would be kinda interesting to see.

Of course, her and Diamond are supposed to just be the bully mean girls, so I somehow doubt they'll be doing anything so subversive with her character at all. :razz:

That's what I was thinking of earlier. I thought it would give them a very interesting relationship if Diamond really wanted Silver to feel better. Then I remembered Diamond stealing Silver's milkshake in "Pinkie Pride" and figured that probably isn't in her character to be that caring.

A couple of things:

-This is the worst named episode in the series. "Twilight Time", seriously? That's all you could come up with?

-Twilight mentoring the CMC was great. This is one character interaction I've been wanting to see.

-Sweetie Belle learning magic is great as well, but something about her aura being green is not really appealing to my eyes. It kinda even looks gross.

-The CMC and that other kid (can't remember if it's a canon character or not) playing four-square was awesome.

-Randolph is best butler.

-DT and SS weren't just typical bullies here, they actually became manipulative, which is good exploration and makes them more interesting. Also, seeing them jump up and down fangirling over Twilight was cute.

-I loved everything about the restaurant scene. Twilight's eating habits, Scoots posing for pictures, her "If I don't smile in pictures I look sad" line, Pinkie being Pinkie, etc. Fantastic scene.

-Finally, FINALLY Twilight is being recognized as a princess, albeit by children of all ponies, but I'll take what I can get.

-Pipsqueak is awesome.

-Even though I just said I liked it, Scoots picture posing and getting her hooves shined seems a wee bit out of character for her.

-Spike's nacho fiasco gave me a few lols.

-Sweetie Belle's voice sounds different (at least to my ears). Maybe her VA is growing up and hitting puberty if she hadn't already.

-Twilight being willing to teach a whole horde of kids random skills seems weird to me. I just don't see her as some kind of jack of all trades who can teach anypony anything.

-Good ending scene and good moral. I was hoping the CMC would get some journal time.

Overall, a good episode. I was pleased.

Nothing too exemplary, but I thought it was well-made for what it was.

*Looks like Twilight is actually getting in some practice as a ruler, even if it's only with little kids as her "subjects."

*I figure most adults see her as another politician/public worker or something, while little kids freak out over her title because OMG she must be just like Celestia. /)(o3o)(\

*Twilight really should've just had Spike go out and give away free nachos. No sense letting them all go to waste like that!

*is it just me, or is Diamond Tiara becoming even more of a complete [iNAPPROPRIATE WORD]? That poor butler...

*Oh hey, looks like the CMC might actually be getting closer to getting their cutie marks! Possibly.

-Even though I just said I liked it, Scoots picture posing and getting her hooves shined seems a wee bit out of character for her.

-Sweetie Belle's voice sounds different (at least to my ears). Maybe her VA is growing up and hitting puberty if she hadn't already.

Overall, a good episode. I was pleased.

While Scootaloo is a tomboy like her 'mentor', she seems to be okay with doing 'girly' stuff every so often...And the show writers REALLY like that shiny hoof joke..It's popped up several times..

I enjoyed this episode...We get to see more kids...And more styles of kid characters..And the CMC actually do improve themselves...Nice to see SB can do some magic. She's been slowly getting better over the seasons.

The CMC's VA's in 'Costume'.

zrle.jpg

Overall, I loved it, I'd say this is one of the best CMC episodes, in part because they learn a meaningful lesson and grow in their respective abilities too (even if scootaloo's not learning to fly :( ) Love the 'zombie mob' and, in fact ALL the mob scenes, though I think they could have done a little more with them. Also loved seeing Pip again, and in a more meaningful role! Little dissapointed that my headcanon ship of SB+pip didnt pan out, but oh well... I also seem to be one of a very few who dont tire of DT+SS being the schoolyard bullies, I think the dynamic between them and hte CMC is good, though I would like one day to see them shut her up once and for all (...not like that! cripes... I NEVER want to hear "CUTIEMARK CRUSADER GRAVEDIGGERS, GO!") They also seem to be maturing a little finally.

Now for comment Responses...

Kinda is surprising Snips and Snails were absent though, considering they fit so immediately into the fanboy/follower role.

They're still not over Trixie ;)

This has been happening a lot actually, AB also has gotten a *faintly* deeper voice over the seasons, SB's also slightly, but noticeably different in "hearts and hooves day" Not sure if it's a "permanent" change due to her VA or if it's just allergies or a cold though.

*Oh hey, looks like the CMC might actually be getting closer to getting their cutie marks! Possibly.

Scootaloo maybe, AB *maybe* SB... meh... I dont think so... ponies know a lot of skills without those skills being their special talent. SB's talent is obviously singing, and AB's is engineering/repair/building/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, Though to be fair, scootaloo *has* shown a lot of talent in mechanical stuff in the past (like 'one bad apple' where she worked on the two floats) Of course this could spin as those were the red-herrings, after all AB does seem very interested in potions, and as I said scootaloo is very mechanical... SB though... all unicorns learn to levitate stuff, that's not really unique... now if she learns to go beyond just levitation, then it might go into cutiemark territory.

I know Scootaloo put down the mushy stories in the Cutie Mark Chronicles but has she really been anti girly stuff other then that?

...lots and lots of times...

Any time something "mushy" comes up she gags, (such as in aformentioned "Cutiemark Chronicles" but part of that might have just been "It's not about Dash so it's not good!") not to mention at least once during a CMC group hug. She's also made some comments about rarity's dresses or making dresses or such iirc, though I cant recall which episode it was in... :blush: Basically she does act that way a lot, but not too often...

She's not severely anti-girly, considering episodes like A Canterlot Wedding where she wore a dress and didn't complain. My personal view is that she doesn't mind it now and then, but she couldn't stand being a girly-girl like Rarity or even Fluttershy. Overall she's like dash, she likes to hide her feelings about 'mushy' things and wants to be tough, but she doesn't mind letting her mane down and being girly now and again.

Archived